• Published 16th Mar 2014
  • 3,954 Views, 36 Comments

Web of Deceit - AliceA020



King Sombra forms a new plan for taking over Equestria--he just needs to take over Tartarus first. But before that can happen, he needs a queen. And he decides Twilight Sparkle is perfect.

  • ...
4
 36
 3,954

Prelude - Unbinding

Sombra’s chains clinked against each other as he shifted. He couldn’t move much, not with the short length of the chains, but at least he could somewhat adjust his position so that he may become more comfortable.

He lifted his head toward the canopy of leaves and branches above him. Little light managed to get through the barrier, and, as such, the forest was rather dark. The ex-tyrant didn’t mind it too much, though; he enjoyed the dark.

After a wisp of cool wind blew past his muzzle, making him scrunch it up a bit, his head hung low as his eyes shut. Then, he lifted his head once more with his eyes now open, only to have his pair meet with another glowing pair. The set of eyes watched him for a little while longer before disappearing into the darkness. Sombra scowled and shifted his gaze towards another pair. When this one refused to move, he bared his teeth as a threat. Even though he couldn’t do much with his powers being rendered useless, the least he could do was scare off any predator.

Predator. That meant he was the prey now. He remembered when he was the predator, and wondered how he could be reduced to such a lowly status.

His threat to the predator didn’t do much, but the creature eventually must’ve grown bored, for it trudged away and Sombra never saw any sign of it afterwards.

His ears perked up at the sound of snapping twigs and crunching leaves, and he wondered if that was his last moment before some monster from the Everfree forest ripped into his flesh. He turned his head and saw the glint of small light hitting golden armor. He squinted his eyes slightly, as if to make sure what he was seeing was no illusion. Sure enough, though, the image stayed. He prepared himself for a menacing growl, but it never escaped his lips, as he found himself silent after they approached closer. Sombra was sure that he saw another pony in the middle of the cluster of suits of armor, one that didn’t have any armor of his own. Rather, he only had a golden, jeweled crown atop his head.

After they stopped before him, two of the guards parted, making a path for the crowned pony. He walked through with such a sophisticated posture, not one step out of place. His eyes were blood red, and they seemed like they lusted for the red liquid. He had a horn, sprouting out of a tuft of white hair that flowed down his neck like a raging river.

For a few moments, the strange pony said nothing. He just stared at Sombra with a menacing look, one that made even the ex-tyrant want to hide away. But as much as Sombra wanted to, he didn’t move an inch. He felt paralyzed under this pony’s glare.

The glare was soon replaced by a smirk, though, and the pony said, “Sombra, it’s so nice to finally meet you.” Sombra said nothing, making the pony chuckle a bit. “You have no idea who I am, do you? I, my friend, am the King of Tartarus. I’ve heard about your defeat at the Crystal Empire,” he said, putting a hoof under Sombra’s chin. “Such a shame.” Sombra wanted to scowl. He wanted to feel the blood off this pony run down his hoof as the life in his eyes faded away. But he did nothing; what could he do to a King of Tartarus?

“I have come here today, Sombra, to offer you something.”

Sombra remained quiet for a moment as he thought, then opened his mouth. “Make it quick.”

The King of Tartarus chuckled. “My time is coming soon. And Tartarus needs another ruler. I think you might be just perfect.” Sombra’s eyes widened. Surely this must be some sort of trick? A trap? But by the look in his eyes, Sombra didn’t think so. “However,” the King continued, “you cannot become a king until you have a queen. Therefore, you cannot take upon my throne. But I believe you will be most suited for the job. So, if you agree to take my offer, you will be free from these chains. If you agree, you must find a queen before my death, and only then will you have the demons of Tartarus at your hooves.

“If you don’t find a queen by the time my death has come, however, you will be forced to suffer in Tartarus for all of eternity, and my most trusted servant will become the next king instead. So, Sombra, what do you say?”

There was not a sound for a while, nothing but the sounds of the forest. None of them knows how long it stayed like that, but eventually, Sombra nodded his head. He didn’t speak, as he didn’t want to accidentally say the wrong words. The King smirked, and his horn glowed. Sombra felt the shackles clamped around him begin to loosen. Once his hooves were free, he lifted them a bit. It felt so good to finally be able to move around. Just as the last chain disappeared, he looked up at the King. The second he made eye contact, though, a blinding light flashed, and Sombra was forced to close his eyes.

It seemed like forever until he was able to open them once more. The first thing he saw was the night sky, with the twinkling stars and a full moon. He breathed heavily for a few moments as everything flashed through his mind once more. The deal, he reminded himself. He stood, stumbling a bit from not using his legs for a long while. Then he looked around him to try and learn where he was exactly. It didn’t take long for him to notice the small village not too far from him. Not many lights were on, but he easily recognized the place as Ponyville.

With a small smirk tugging at his lips, he began to walk.