• Published 18th Feb 2014
  • 1,837 Views, 10 Comments

Experimental Senses - Victoria_the_dragoness



When Twilight realizes that she might have feelings for a certain pink pony, she tries to figure out why...her way. Of course hilarity ensues and Pinkie's senses just become weirder and weirder.

  • ...
5
 10
 1,837

Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Pinkie weaved around the market, dodging ponies and stalls this way and that – being careful so Twilight didn’t get hurt – buying some honey and a lemon, picking out a glass of hot water and finally a spoon along the way before trotting out the other side to an empty bench in the park.

“Okay, I’ve got everything I need. Just hold on a sec, okay Twilight?” Pinkie let go of Twilight’s hoof and took a spoonful of the honey, dipping it into the glass of hot water. Setting that down she took the lemon, tapped it against the side of the bench twice and cracked it in half, letting the lemon juice pour into the glass. “There ya go! The honey should have all melted into the water, so go ahead and have a sip.”

Blushing at the way Pinkie was smiling at her, and overlooking the fact that she just cracked open a lemon, she wordlessly took the glass in her hooves and took a sip of the beverage Pinkie made. Flavor – sweet and satisfying to her taste buds – washed over her. It was delicious. Even though she wasn’t sick, it still managed to cheer her up and brighten her day. “Whoa.”

“What did I tell ya? Delish or what?”

“Th-thank you, Pinkie. It’s really good.”

“Not a problem. It’s called lemon and honey. My Granny Pie always made it for me when I was sick. It made all my sad, sick feelings happy again.”

Twilight smiled up at the pink pony as she sat on her haunches. She looked back down at the glass and took another sip. For the longest time, the two just sat in silence. Pinkie was actually sitting quietly, watching with approval as the lavender pony finished her magic drink. The silence was beginning to weigh on Twilight though. She had to say something. “Thank you Pinkie, for going through all that for me.”

“Aww, it’s alright Twilight. Happy to help.”

“Uhh, so…what did you have in mind…for our…date?” Twilight asked nearly choking on the last word, her face turned bright red.

“Hmm, well, the world famous Equestrian Carnival is in town all week. I thought we could go and ride some fantastic rides. Oh, and eat lots and lots of candy.”

Twilight stood up and chuckled. Typical Pinkie Pie. “Sounds like fun. Let’s go.”

“Oh, but what about your groceries?” Pinkie asked, suddenly remembering what she thought lead Twilight into town.

“I can always do those later. And a promise is a promise, right?”

“Right.” Pinkie nodded. “You have learned well, my apprentice.” She giggled loudly.

*****

The carnival was huge, even from a distance. It was no small wonder it was called, “Equestria’s Biggest Show Ever!” It was the perfect time to have it in Ponyville too. It was just coming into the summer months around the town, so everypony seemed to be there today to enjoy the fun and splendor of the largest mobile carnival in Equestria.

“What ride should we go on first, Twilight?” Pinkie asked as she bounced along next to her lavender friend.

“I’m not sure Pinkie. Whichever one you want to go on I guess.” Twilight responded, trying not to look at Pinkie’s flank. She wasn’t having much success.

“Alrightie then, let’s go on the roller coaster!” Pinkie shouted, hopping in front of said ride as the coaster zoomed past with many loud screams trailing after it.

Twilight gulped. Maybe this wasn’t such a good idea. “A-are you sure we should be starting on such a…fast ride?”

“Uh huh. Trust me; carnivals are a part of my thing. The biggest and bestest rides should always go first; especially the speedy ones. You don’t want to be going on the roller coaster with a tummy full of sweets, no siree ma’am.”

“O-okay, lead the way.” Twilight squeaked.

“Okie dokey lokie!” Pinkie sauntered over to the entrance and waited for the coaster to stop. Twilight followed slowly behind, trying to find the courage to go through with this.

Come on Twilight. This is Pinkie you are with. It’s worth it…even on a scary ride. Hey, if-if it’s scary…then I might be able to hold on to Pinkie the whole way. Twilight shook her head. No, I refuse to think that way. I’m still not sure if I do…why is this so hard?

“Twilight? You coming?” Pinkie asked, shaking the confused mare from her warring thoughts.

“Huh?” Twilight looked up from the ground to find that the roller coaster was stopped in the station. Pinkie sat in the front, waving over to the unicorn happily. “Oh, right.”

“Hurry up or you’ll miss your chance.” She shouted.

And we don’t want that, Twilight chuckled nervously to herself. “Coming!” She trotted up to the car and hopped in. Strapping herself in, she smiled at the pink mare beside her.

Within minutes the roller coaster began to move forward. This part wasn’t so bad, Twilight thought. But she knew this was only the beginning and they hadn’t started climbing vertically yet.

“This is so exciting. I bet I’ll be able to spot my house from up at the top,” Pinkie said, not taking notice of Twilight’s building anxiety.

Just think of the physics involved here. The steep vertical ascent is what gives the coaster the momentum it needs to speed to the next hill and each subsequent hill causes the car to accelerate further because of the gravity constantly pushing down on the cars, preparing for the loops and spins of the ride. Twilight exhaled and remembered that she had shut her eyes to imagine the ride playing out in her mind.

“Umm, Twilight? Are you alright?” Pinkie asked, seeing the uneasiness in the unicorn’s eyes.

“I…I’m…” They were at the top of the ascent. Twilight peered down at the ground far below them and suddenly felt nauseous. “I’m af-fraid of falling.”

Pinkie looked surprised. “Really? Well then, why’d you come up here?”

“Because I…” She began, but stopped herself. Twilight couldn’t tell her why, and she wasn’t going to lie to her again, so she just said nothing. She tried not to think about what will happen once gravity took over here.

“Well, if you’re afraid of falling, then why don’t you just teleport down to the ground?” Pinkie asked. She seemed reluctant to offer that piece of advice, but it was the friendly thing to do.

“R-really? You don’t mind?”

“Of course not, silly. Why would I?” Suddenly the car started to move again, down. “Hurry Twilight.”

Twilight shut her eyes, but stopped herself. I came all the way up here; I might as well face two fears at once. Opening her eyes again, the lavender mare smiled softly and still a little worriedly. “No Pinkie, I’m up here and it’s about time I faced this fear.”

Pinkie didn’t have time to respond before the roller coaster took off down the track. She was already yelling and shouting gleefully, seeming to have no fear whatsoever.

Twilight closed her eyes tight and looked away at first, hearing the screams of the other ponies as they enjoyed the ride. Eventually though she couldn’t keep her eyes shut anymore and opened them. They were at the first loop; right at the top, before the coaster careened down again. She glanced over at the earth pony, who was smiling. The smile was contagious it seemed, because Twilight soon had a grin of her own. Before she knew it, she herself was enjoying the ride; screaming and shouting as the car turned this way and that and around and around the many loops of the track.

Once the ride was over, both ponies were laughing and giggling away. The two disembarked and trotted over to a nearby stall.

“That was superific! Wow Twilight, you did it. You faced your fear,” Pinkie said.

Twilight chuckled, still a bit shaky from the ride. “Yeah, I guess I did. Well, I couldn’t have done it without you.” When she said that, the unicorn realized how true that statement was. She did help her out a great deal, and she imagined it was because of her elusiveness to be understood. And that no matter what sticky mess Twilight got herself into, Pinkie would be there to pull her out of it.

“Aww, that’s nice of you to say, but I didn’t do anything. You did it on your own.”

Twilight could only smile at the cotton candy maned pony, envying her always cheerful attitude.

“Now, let’s have something to eat,” Pinkie said, turning to face the owner of the stall they were leaning on. “Two please!”

The pony nodded. “Coming right up.” He disappeared into the back and grabbed two bags of cotton candy. Trotting back to the little window he gave the treats to Pinkie. “Here ya go.”

“Thanks. Here Twilight.” She passed one bag over to the unicorn, who accepted it with a smile.

“Thank you, Pinkie.” Twilight took a hoofful of the sugar treat and munched on it. “So where to next?”

Pinkie rubbed her chin, taking a quick glance around the vicinity. “Hmmm. Well, we could go on the tea pot ride, or the ferris wheel, or the bumper cars…if you’re not too chicken to face the Pinkie Pie.”

“Oh yeah? You are on, Pinkie.”

*****

The two ponies selected their weapons: a lavender colored car for Twilight and a pink one for Pinkie. They hopped into the cars and prepared to do battle. After a few minutes the pony in charge of the bumper cars turned the power on and let the two ponies go.

“You ready Twilight?” Pinkie asked, squinting in concentration from across the arena.

Twilight smirked. “You bet I am.” Stepping on the pedal, the unicorn zoomed forward and careened into Pinkie’s car. Both machines pushed away from each other, and the pink car hit the wall.

“Hey, you’ll pay for that.”

Before Twilight could react the earth mare rammed into her car, causing her to fly backward. The car twirled around and around, making Twilight quite dizzy by the time it had stopped.

“Who-ooa,” The lavender pony said, as her head swayed in all directions.

“There’s more where that came from.” Pinkie’s car zoomed forth and headed straight for the still dazed unicorn. Just as she reached her target, the pink pony spun the car around and backed into the machine.

“Ooph!” Twilight said, having once again been pushed into the wall by the curly maned mare. Her eyes widened. “Uh oh.” But she had no time to react, only time to brace herself.

“Incoming!” Pinkie cried with the car at full speed. It smashed into Twilight’s car, a loud crash emanating shortly after as the two vehicles flew off in different directions. They spun out of control, making both ponies very dizzy, until at last and after many bumps against the walls, the two bumper cars came grinding to a halt in the center of the arena.

The ponies were facing each other, their noses almost touching. They both peered down at their respective rides and back at one another, falling swiftly into fits and giggles.

“That was awesome!” Pinkie screamed between her laughter.

“I agree with you there Pinkie. That was a lot of fun.”

The two friends stepped out of their vehicles and headed for the exit. By that time it was already afternoon, but both ponies still felt like having fun. They decided to try a few more rides before calling it a night. Twilight suggested a water shooting game. First prize was a plush teddy bear, but Twilight couldn’t keep her aim. Pinkie’s aim, on the other hoof, was true, and she managed to win the bear. She proceeded to give the plush toy to Twilight, who blushed in response before accepting the gift. Before they continued on to the next destination, the two had lunch; each a cupcake and a daffodil and daisy sandwich. After that Pinkie thought horseshoes would be a fun activity for them. Neither of them really kept score, but both assumed they were pretty good for beginners. At the end of the day, the two were tired and ready to trot on to their homes.

“That was a ton of fun, Twilight. We should do that again sometime,” Pinkie said while they walked along the dirt path.

Twilight nodded in agreement. “Well, there might not be a big carnival-”

“BigGEST carnival.”

“Yes, that. There may not be something like that every day, but I would love to spend more time with you soon.”

“Hurray! When’s good for you?”

“Hmm. Well as I recall, I have studying all this week,” Pinkie looked saddened at this. “But I do have some free time tomorrow morning. My studies are a bit lighter and set for the afternoon. I’d be happy if you came by.”

Pinkie visibly cheered up hearing that and began to bounce sporadically. “Whoopie! That sounds super-duper! I’ll be there tomorrow. Ooh, and we can have so much fun in that time. Oh I’ve already started to plan what we can do.”

Twilight chuckled. “I’m sure you have.”

*****

When they reached Sugarcube Corner, Pinkie hugged Twilight and said goodnight. She waved to Twilight until she was out of sight and shut the door. The lavender unicorn then let her tiredness show and barely made it through the door to the library before collapsing on the wooden floor.

Spike heard the thud and rushed down the steps of the upper floor to see the mare. “Are you alright, Twilight? How did your search for Pinkie go?”

The exhausted pony smiled blissfully, and lifted her head off the ground. “Great, Spike. It went great.”

Author's Note:

And so we have another chapter done. Sorry it took longer than usual to post this. Lots of stuff to do and all that, but I'm trying to post a new chapter every two weeks.

Anyways, hope you liked the new chapter. ^^