• Published 5th Feb 2014
  • 394 Views, 8 Comments

Through the Streamline - NLRscout



Struggling to stay afloat in a sea of uncertainty, you keep your memories close to you. After everything, they're the only thing that stayed.

  • ...
 8
 394

Chapter 2

You stand there, unmoving after the voice behind you spoke. You remembered that voice. The night you had been belittled and degraded by Twilight Sparkles superior magic skills. It was one of her friends. Feeling the sweat bead on your forehead and drip down, your anxiety higher than normal, you attempt to still your nerves, and face her.

Turning around, you have a voice to put to a face. If you remembered correctly, her name was Applejack. That was all you knew though. You had no idea if she was cruel or malevolent, an angry pony or one to forgive quickly. The uncertainty is what made you nervous. The look on your face being an obvious one of trepidation. She looks at you with what you saw as surprise.

"Trixie? What are ya doin' back in Ponyville? And more importantly, what are ya doin' eatin' mah apples?!" Her look morphed from surprise, to confusion and just as quickly turned into a look of anger. Your eyes, moved from hers do the ground in embarrassment. You felt like a filly caught with her hoof in the cookie jar. As quickly as it had come though, the feeling passed and a look of defiance took its place. Looking back up to Applejacks eyes, you glared at her.

"Trixie is here on business that is hers and nopony else's! As to why I was eating your apples, Trixie hasnt been in the best financial standing for the past while if you must know! The apples were hanging here and Trixie thought this was a public place, so she partook." Your stubborness getting the best of you, you threw up your defense mechanisms by dodging the first question and defending yourself in the second. Applejack seemed to study your face for a moment before her expression softened slightly.

"Well if yer still hungry, I s'pose a couple of apples won't be that big'a deal. But you hafta tell me why yer here first." Her expression going from slight anger into one of sterness. Still defiant you opened your mouth to refuse such pity but your stomach rumbling answered for you. Applejack chuckled a little. "That's what I thought. Come with me, we'll go back ta the farm and getcha some food." You grumbled slightly but didn't protest and followed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After some pie and a tummy full of of fritters to die for, you pat your stomach, satisfied for the first time in weeks. Closing your eyes you feel a food coma coming on. After a few moments of silence, Applejack clears her throat. Opening your eyes wide at the sudden sound, you remember that she's there. "Well now that ya got a full stomach of the best apple pie in equestria, I figured that its as good a time as any ta spill yer guts. Uh, not literally though." You sat up and groaned. You knew this was coming from the moment you started following her back to the farm. Didn't make it easier though.

"These past couple of months have not been kind to Trixie." You paused and Applejack motioned for you to continue. "That's all." She gives you an incredulous look.

"Well doesn't that explain why you were stealin' my apples?" She asked with sarcasm dripping from her words. "I wanna know the details Trixie, what made tha month bad for ya?" She looked at you with genuine curiosity. You looked back at her and scoffed.

"Why would you possibly want to know about Trixie's problems? To have more of a reason to ridicule, and embarrass her for her weaknesses? Nonsense." Looking back at Applejack, you saw her expression was no longer curiosity, but one of understanding.

"Refusing help ain't a good way ta deal with problems, I know that better than anypony." You looked at her in disgust. Was she trying to pity you? Worse than that, she compaired herself to you! You're nothing alike! She's a lowly farmer pony and you are a magician! How dare she even try to compare the two of you. Apperently oblivious to the rage building inside you and the anger evident on your face, she had no way to prepare for the verbal onslaught coming her way.

"You know how I feel?! You have no idea!!" The rage now evident from the hatred in your tone and your expression. "You have no idea what its like to go without what you need for weeks at a time just so you can get by! You have no idea what its like being astranged from all your family and be considered a failure in the eyes of all of them! The fact that you think you can compare me and you and condisend to me like its nothing disgusts me!" At this point Applejack was hanging her head low and a sad expression on her face. "Most of all, you'll never knew what it was like growing up with no parents and having to fend for yourself!" Venom dripping from your words toward the pony across from you. She raised her head and looked into your eyes with an unreadable expression.

"Don't goin' assumin' things about ponies you don't know." She got up, walked to the door, and opened it. "Leave." She said the last word with a mix of anger and hurt. The way she said it, ripped you off your power trip and a sobering thought came to your head. What if she did know? You stood up and made your way for the door. On your way out she stopped you. "If you decide you wanna come talk about what happened with me, you know where I'll be. But if ya do, I suggest ya leave yer bitterness out here." She motioned to the outside. After you were out of the door she promptly shut it. Leaving you alone with your thoughts.

Author's Note:

Well here is another update for those of you who wanted one. Tell me whatcha think in a comment on whatever. Thanks for reading!