• Published 8th Feb 2014
  • 3,698 Views, 51 Comments

Never Ending Fears - Faith Everlasting



Applejack has never gotten over her fear of the timber wolves, but perhaps a larger fear will make this one disappear completely...

  • ...
11
 51
 3,698

Her True Fear

Applejack approached the border of the Everfree forest and gazed into the dark abyss. She slowly reached up into her mane and untangled the rose that Spike had put there. She held it tenderly in her hoof and looked closely at the light pink petals. For some reason, they looked like the shade of Princess Cadence's coat...

"Ah'm sorry, Spike." She laid the rose on the ground. "Ah can't have ya."

She closed her emerald eyes and took one step into the forest, hopping as quickly as she could before anypony could see her. Before she disappeared entirely, she looked back to the rose and sighed.

"Ah love ya."

She then vanished into the forest.


"Applejack? Applejack!" Spike hollered as he ran all throughout Ponyville. Several ponies stopped in their tracks to watch the dragon fly all over the town searching for the farm mare.

"Have you seen Applejack?" Spike asked a light green unicorn.

"Huh, what's that?" She looked up from her book and sighed. "I don't have time to be looking for ponies! There are SO many of those here already!" She buried her nose in her book again.

"But have you seen Applejack?"

"No."

"Uh... thanks... I guess?"

"Oh, hey! One quick thing before you go!"

"Yes?"

"If you see any-" she lowered her voice to a whisper. "-humans... then let me know!"

Spike stared at the strange unicorn.

"Uh... sure! I'll keep an eye out for some... hue-maans, err, whatever it was you said." Spike quickly dashed away as a tan colored earth pony walked over to the unicorn.

"Lyra! Were you talking about humans again?" She asked.

"No way, Bon-Bon! I was talking about finding humans!"

Bon-Bon smacked her face with her hoof in embarrassment while Lyra dived right back into her book.

Spike continued to run down the busy market, screaming out Applejack's name whenever he had a breath. Soon enough, he caught the attention of a butter colored pegasus who was trying to find the perfect cherry at a vendor.

"Why are you in such a hurry?" Fluttershy asked the panting dragon.

"Applejack's... gone!" He wheezed.

"Gone?!"

"I can't find her anywhere!" Spike started to panic. "I've looked at the farm, Twilight's house, Rarity's shop, Rainbow's home, Sugar Cube Corner, all of the vendors in Ponyville, an-"

Fluttershy placed her hoof over his mouth.

"I think I understand what 'anywhere' means, Spike."

"Right, sorry."

"Why don't I help you find her?"

"Would you do that?"

"Well of course! She's one of my best friends!"

"Great! Let's go!"

The two friends dashed down the road, leaving the cherry vendor in the dust.

"What about them 20 bits you said you'd give me?!" He called after Fluttershy. His eyes then widened in realization and he sighed in disappointment. "Now I'm a doormat..."

Spike glanced briefly backwards to see who had yelled out to them, but saw nopony calling them again, so he continued running. They looked all over the market, then down towards the Town Hall where they ran into the Mayor. Mayor Mare to be precise.

"Mayor Mare!" Fluttershy hollered, stopping the earth pony in her tracks. "Have you seen Applejack anywhere?"

"Why no, my dear, I haven't." She then reached down and picked up a hammer. "But I still need help fixing that huge hole in the roof of Town Hall. Mind helping?"

"Oh, we can't. We need to find Applejack. I have a bad feeling that something horrible has happened to her!" Mayor Mare stared at Fluttershy for a good five seconds before shrugging her shoulders and hammering a nail into the closest loose board.

"Suit yourself." She said through a full mouth. Spike growled in frustration at the mare's incompetence and wondered how she had ever been elected to be Mayor of Ponyville.

"Come on! We don't have time for this!"

He grabbed Fluttershy by her tail and almost had to drag her away from the Mayor.

"Where else could she be?"

Fluttershy scratched her chin in thought and then her eyes brightened up.

"She could be at my cottage!"

"Why would she be there?"

"I don't know, but that's the one place we haven't looked!"

"Worth a shot!"

The two of them sped off towards Fluttershy's cottage, leaving Mayor Mare in the dust. She sighed and dropped the hammer down to the floor, staring at all of the work ahead of her.

"I've really got to stop being such a doormat!"


When they finally arrived at Fluttershy's cottage, they found Winona near the fence, staring off into the Everfree forest. Spike walked up to her and noticed that she was shaking uncontrollably and whimpering with fear and worry.

"What's wrong, girl?" He asked the canine as he stroked her head. Fluttershy hovered over and cuddled closely to the dog, singing a gentle tune until the she calmed down.

"Now what's got you so troubled, Winona?"

She gazed up at Fluttershy and gave a small 'woof' as she jumped out of her grasp and started heading towards the forest. A bright smile came onto Spike's face as he followed her.

"I think she's taking us to Applejack!"

...

"Fluttershy?"

Spike stopped running with the dog and turned back to see that Fluttershy was cowering by the fence post, her eyes wide with fear. Her wings were now 'permanently' fixed to her body and she couldn't even open them if she tried.

"Come on, Fluttershy! Applejack may need our help!"

"But what makes you think she'd be in the..." Fluttershy gulped. "Ever... free... forest?!"

"Because Winona says she is!"

"But maybe Winona is just smelling a squirrel or something."

Spike turned a bright shade of red as he felt the anger well up inside of him. He stormed over to Fluttershy, green flames bursting from his mouth and stretching his wings to the maximum.

"Oh, my!" Fluttershy gasped in horror.

Spike instantly saw the terror in her eyes and started to calm down, feeling sympathy for the timid pony. He folded his wings down and approached her.

"I'm sorry, Fluttershy." Spike felt the shivering pegasus start to calm down, but she still wasn't completely. "I... just don't want anything to happen to Applejack. I understand your fears... because I'm afraid too."

"Then why do you want to go in there?"

Spike glanced into the beautiful pegasus' eyes and sighed.

"Because I love her."

Fluttershy froze.

"Fluttershy?"

"Wha-what did you say?" She quickly rose to her hooves and looked into Spike's green eyes. "Did you just say that you... love Applejack?"

"Yes."

Fluttershy gazed deep into Spike's eyes, as if determining whether he was lying or not. Thankfully, she didn't use the stare on him, since he was scared to death of her intimidating spell.

"Oh! I am so happy for you!"

She wrapped her hooves around Spike's neck and almost suffocated the poor creature. He gagged for air and Fluttershy blushed, pulling herself away and nervously tucking a strand of mane behind her ear.

"That's besides the point! Will you help me or not?"

Fluttershy did not need a moment to think about it anymore.

"Of course, I'll help you!"

Suddenly, Winona came running back carrying something in her mouth. She tried to bark as loudly as she could, but only succeeded in making a small muffling noise.

"What do you got there, Winona?" Spike asked as he pulled the object out of her mouth. His heart sank when he realized what it was. "Applejack's Rose."

The petals were slobbered, but strangely enough they were still in perfect and beautiful condition... as if the rose had just been picked.

"Where is she, Winona?"

The border collie pointed towards the forest and growled deeply.

"Then let's go!"

Howling, Winona led the two friends through the thicket and on the mad chase to find Applejack before it was too late.


Applejack found herself taking the path towards the clearing in the forest and soon noticed where she was when she set her hoof on the short grass. She looked up and saw the two withered roses in the middle of the clearing, untouched by anything except for time. She hobbled over to them and sat down for a brief second, reaching up for where her hat should have been. Unfortunately, she had left it at home and she deeply regretted leaving it there.

She let a few tears run down her cheeks at the thought of Spike and of her family.

"Ah can't let mah family suffer fer mah leg!" She looked down at the crippled limb and gritted her teeth. "Ah should've done this a long time ago!" She glanced down to the roses and growled menacingly under her breath. "Ah WILL avenge ya! Ah WILL take down that timber wolf and hopefully..." She gulped. "... die with honor!"

Applejack rose and surveyed the area around her.

Now the only problem is to FIND the monster! She thought.

Unfortunately, she only had to turn around.

GRR...

Applejack sighed when she felt the hot breath against her back and she whispered a silent prayer to God before turning around to look at the beast. It towered over her like it had last time, it's green eyes still soulless and empty.

"Hello, beasty..." Applejack whispered. It growled once more and took a step towards her. "I think that you're bein' missed in Hell. Definitely don't want to keep ya from yer friends!"

The timber wolf roared furiously and started to stampede towards her, dropping sticks and stones as it ran. Applejack hobbled away as quickly as she could, but wincing frequently when she placed weight on her back leg. She turned around to watch as the timber wolf's paw smashed her parent's roses into pieces, making her more infuriated than she already was.

She stopped where the clearing came to an end and defiantly stared down the timber wolf.

"Come an' get me, ya big goon!" She hollered, racing into the woods. The wolf snarled at the cowpony's enthusiasm and pursued her, gaining ten feet for every one of hers.

Suddenly, Applejack found herself at the edge of the rock cliff again, staring down towards where Spike had been when the wolf had cornered him. She whirled around and planted her front hooves into the ground as the wolf came into view. He stopped and rumbled deep in his throat as he placed one paw forward.

"Ya took mah parents..." Applejack began as he crept forward. "Ya took mah leg..."

The timber wolf was right next to her now, shoving its snout in her face.

"But you will NOT TAKE THE OTHERS THAT AH LOVE!"

Applejack swung her right hoof up and smacked the timber wolf on the jaw. It yelped and stumbled a few steps back before recovering and then roaring as loudly as it could.

Then it charged, lowering its head to hit Applejack. She closed her eyes and waited for the impact which came sooner than she had hoped. The coarse sticks cut through her skin as its head hit her chest. She gasped out in agony and closed her eyes tightly when she felt herself flying through the air and towards the ground. It had tossed her over the cliff and was watching as she tumbled down the rocks, quickly hitting the ground and gasping out a final breath.

The timber wolf roared triumphantly to the moon and tossed down a few rocks on Applejack for good measure, pinning her helpless body to the ground.

"And what makes you so happy?!"

The timber wolf turned to the new arrival and snarled all the more. Spike and Fluttershy stood defiantly beside each other and snarled right back at the beast.

"YOU THINK THAT YOU CAN HURT THE ONE I LOVE AND GET AWAY WITH IT?!" Spike demanded as he pointed his outstretched claws toward the wolf. "WELL YOU CAN'T!"

"You tell him, Spike!" Fluttershy pathetically cheered. "Woo hoo!"

The wolf roared, making Fluttershy whimper in fear and sink to the floor, but she didn't run away. Spike looked down at her and tapped her on the shoulder. She looked up to see the dragon steadily staring down at her.

"You wouldn't mind if I roasted this guy, would you?" He asked politely.

Fluttershy looked over at the wolf and saw that this monster had no soul that she could see. It only snarled and drooled with the lust for murder and slowly approached them. Fluttershy sighed and nodded her head to Spike.

"I don't mind at all! This creature should know better than to hurt one of MY friends!"

Suddenly, Fluttershy zipped up to confront the timber wolf and stared screaming like a banshee.

"HOW DARE YOU?!"

The wolf snapped for the frail pegasus, but missed when she quickly dodged its jaws.

"Fluttershy, go help Applejack! I'll take care of this monster!"

Fluttershy followed Spike's orders, diving down the cliff to help her friend. The wolf disregarded the pegasus and growled at Spike who was now flying directly in front of its face. It was about to roar again and snap for Spike, but was interrupted when Spike held out a hand to silence it.

"Tell me, mutt, what happens when wood heats up?"

The wolf sat down for a minute to think about it and scratched its head in confusion. It then shrugged its shoulders in defeat and watched as Spike got even closer.

"You ever hear of a forest fire?" Spike mocked.

The timber wolf whimpered at the words Spike spoke and tucked its tail between its legs.

"Well..." Spike's mouth shot flames out in every direction, scorching the timber wolf's legs and back. It yelped in agony and started to run away, but was cornered by Spike. "...YOU'RE ABOUT TO BECOME ONE!"

Spike took in a deep breath and exhaled quickly, a long stream of green flames shooting downwards towards the terrified wolf. It quickly became engulfed in a brilliant flash of emerald lights and howled in pain. It gnashed its teeth and ran off into the darkness of the forest, slowly turning to ash.

"Have fun burning!" Spike called after it. He then smiled triumphantly and did a quick flip in the sky.

"Spike!" Fluttershy called out.

He quickly flew to the edge of the cliff and stared down as the butter-colored pegasus tried to pry a large rock off of Applejack.

"Help!"

He dived down to her side and rapidly hoisted the rock off of the farm mare. Fluttershy could not utter a word when Spike chucked the rock into oblivion.

"Applejack..." Spike whispered as he pulled her body into his arms. Her legs were limp and her eyes were shut just as Spike had feared. He stroked her mane with his hand and wiped away a drop of blood that had already crusted onto her face. He quivered when Applejack's coldness seeped into him and he slowly closed his eyes.

"Is she..." Fluttershy didn't need to know the answer, but she still wanted to hold on to the slightest bit of hope. Spike looked over at her and shook his head. She gasped and buried her face in her tattered mane, sobbing into the silky substance.

"This isn't fair, Applejack." Spike muttered. "You saved me twice, and now I saved you twice... but nopony can say that I saved you when you aren't here." He stroked her face tenderly and felt tears roll down his face and onto hers. He cradled her lifeless body and slowly began to sing.

"We've traveled the road of generations, joined by a common bond. We sing our song 'cross the pony nation, from Equestria and beyond. We're Apples forever, Apples together, we're family but so much...

Spike sniffled and shivered, forcing himself to continue.

...MORE. No matter what comes, we will face the weather! We're Apples to the core!

By now, Spike was heaving and Fluttershy gently started to pull him away from Applejack. He feebly reached out to Applejack as Fluttershy dragged him further away, but collapsed in a heap of tears when Fluttershy pulled him in for a hug.

There's no place... that I'd rather be...

Spike lifted his head to the singing and looked up at Fluttershy to see if she had sung it, but she looked just as surprised as he was. They both looked over to where Applejack lay and saw...

... than travelin' with mah family. Friends all around... come to join and see as we sing out across the land!

Spike removed himself from Fluttershy's embrace and walked over to the mare, clutching her hoof in his hand. Her eyelids slowly fluttered open and she sighed in exhaustion. Then, she looked up at Spike and a small smiled spread across her face.

"Spike..." She said weakly.

"Yes?"

"Ah... love ya."

Spike trembled with joy and cried out as loudly as he could.

"I LOVE YOU, TOO, APPLEJACK!" He wrapped his claws around her neck, burying his snout into her silky mane. She giggled and hugged him back despite the terrible pain shooting through her body.

Suddenly, Applejack pulled away from Spike and stared at him sternly.

"Are we 'even steven' now?" She asked with a chuckle.

Spike laughed and nodded his head vigorously.

"Yes, we are! But, if I may, I would like to ask you something."

"Ya don't need to! Mah answer's yes!"

They hugged again as Fluttershy watched, sobbing loudly and hard as the tears erupted from her eyes like waterfalls. She grabbed a large leaf and blew her nose loudly into it, then using it to wipe away her tears.

What the three happy creatures didn't notice, was a light pink figure standing a distance away in the thicket. She smiled warmly and flew away with her wings outstretched. She made her horn glow ever so slightly to increase the light in the forest, making the scene even more brilliant than it already was. She gazed down at them one last time and chuckled to herself.

"The roses always work!"

With those words, she flew away while Spike and Applejack were sharing their first true kiss in Princess Luna's fair light.

Author's Note:

In case you were wondering:

YES, Princess Cadence knew about Spike and Applejack's relationship and used magic to make the rose appear in front of Spike. She is the princess of LOVE after all.
(And don't ask HOW she knew. She's a princess! They know just about everything!)