• Published 25th Jan 2014
  • 3,414 Views, 41 Comments

Dark Side - Spilledink82



After a terrible accident, Twilight's life hangs in the balance, but for Celestia, this is the perfect opportunity to carry out her plans to vanquish a growing evil . . .

  • ...
2
 41
 3,414

Chapter 2

Author's Note:

Sorry this chapter is really short, but I felt really bad keeping you guys waiting like this, and so decided 'what the heck! I'll just throw what I've got out there and see what happens!'

And so, here you have it.

Shining Armor smiled. His day - heck his year! - was going better than he could've hoped. He was married to a beautiful alicorn, leader of a country full of crystal ponies, and his little sister was now an alicorn Princess as well as his wife. Except for the brief bout with the Changelings they'd had at the wedding, and that spat with King Sombra, his life so far was wonderful. Nothing could ruin this.

And that one thought is what jinxed it.

A young royal Pegasus guard was flapping across the lawn towards himself and Cadence. Shining looked closer, trying to see what rank the pony was. The midday sun was glaring off of his gold plated armor, making the sun on the breastplate look almost like the real thing.

"Wait . . . That's one of Princess Celestia's guards! " he exclaimed in surprise.

"Hmmm?" Cadence asked from beside him. Her eyes were closed, head tilted up toward the sun.

"One of Celestia's guards is running up the field towards us!" He said, getting back up to his hooves to meet him. Cadence immediately opened her eyes and followed her husband's gaze.

"That's odd," she commented. "I wonder if there's some kind of emergency." She got to her hooves as well.

The guard finally reached them, chest heaving and panting heavily like he'd flown the entire way there nonstop. He saluted his old captain.

"Shining Armor, sir," he panted, than straitened up. "Urgent notification from Canterlot Hospital."

"Canterlot Hospital?" Cadence asked in bewilderment.

"The Golden Oaks Library was caught in a terrible fire last night. Twilight Sparkle was still inside."

"What?!" Shining shouted. "Is she hurt?! Is she okay?! She didn't get injured, did she?!"

"She's going to be alright, right?!" Cadence asked slightly hysterically, cutting off her husband.

"I was getting to that, sir. She was injured extensively, losing a lot of blood. She had to be taken to Canterlot Hospital and rushed into emergency surgery." He said quickly. Then added, "Sir!"

"WHAT?!" He very nearly screamed.

"It's okay Shining," Cadence soothed, resting a hoof on his shoulder. "Just take deep breaths."

He closed his eyes and breathed deeply for a moment, then snapped open his eyes open. "Anything else?"

"No, sir!"

"We're both going to Canterlot." He turned to the guard. "Go find a pony called Light Blade. Tell him he's in charge until we return."

The guard saluted, then sank to the ground in exhaustion as soon as they turned away.

Shining Armor and Princess Cadence took off for the train station.

----------------------------

The train arrived at Canterlot within the next couple of hours, and Shining and Cadence were the first to get off. They ran up towards the whitewashed building in the distance that was the Hospital.

"I hope she's okay," worried Cadence as they ran.

Shining didn't respond; he just continued running, his eyes fixed on the doors to the hospital. There were too many ponies! He wouldn't get there in time; he had a terrible feeling in his gut that he'd gotten only once before, when his little sister had had a near death experience with the flu when she was younger.

It was a roiling knot that twisted his heart and made him want to throw up, lay on the ground and sob like a little filly, and go out and kill a thousand ponies so that his Little Twily could live.

And he knew.

His little sister was in danger. Mortal danger.

His horn flared to life, glowing with such a terrifying intensity it was almost red. He disappeared a millisecond after with a slight pop. His wife followed soon after.

-------------------