• Published 31st Mar 2012
  • 2,857 Views, 80 Comments

The Most Dangerous Game - uberPhoenix



Rainbow Dash receives a strange package with an unusual request: to cause and survive the apocalypse

  • ...
1
 80
 2,857

Recalling What Has Yet To Come

[nebularOedipus created journal entry “Recalling What Has Yet To Come”]

Greetings, aliens! If you're reading this message (and I really really hope that you are), it means that there just might be a chance for us after all.

My name is Twilight Sparkle. My friends and I are the last six surviving members of our race. Of our planet, even. All others were destroyed by the spell we call “PASTR”. We have reason to believe that the coding for this spell may exist on your planet as well. In fact, it very likely exists on every planet, waiting for the foolhardy group that decides to decipher its contents before it bombards the planet relentlessly with meteors, wiping all traces of life from its surface.

I will leave you with only this warning. If you discover the Frog Temples on your planet, destroy them. Make no attempt to learn their secrets, because mark my words, you will wish you hadn't. I never thought I would come to regret learning. But I assure you, these are stones best left unturned. But even burning the writing on the wall will not stop the meteors, if they were always meant to fall.

Paradox space can be a bit picky that way.

But I get carried away. There are good odds that you will never find these ruins, even if they exist. I just want you to be prepared to face the end of the world.

As I have previously stated, if you are reading this message, then praise be to Celestia. I am broadcasting this message out across the inky black fathoms of the furthest ring, as far and wide as I can. If you can read this, it means you have a civilization with technology advanced enough to pick up and understand these signals. And maybe, just maybe, you're advanced enough to come to our aid.

I will do my best to explain, succinctly, the events that led to our current predicament. Perhaps this log will also be able to serve, if not as a warning or as a plea for help, as a guide. Should you find yourself with no choice but to play the most dangerous game, without our assistance you would surely fail. Even with our assistance you will likely fail. What scant research I have been able to perform has revealed to me that of the many times these trials are attempted, few are ever successful. We most certainly were not successful, even with all the assistance we received.

Do not let this knowledge fade away until another hapless group is forced to endure what we have barely survived. If you can hear me and understand me, I have one more request of you. Write this story down. May this be the beginning of a long compendium of such quests. Just as every book must begin with a single word, every library must begin with a single book. If that book does not yet exist, then let this be it. Only be learning as much about PASTR as we can will we ever dream of overcoming it.

Share the knowledge. Warn others. And listen to our story. If you cannot come to our aid, then this is all that we ask of you. For this is a story of war, of royalty and exiles, of rogues and witches and bards, of hope and life and dust, of planets and denizens and rings. This is the story of PASTR.

[nebularOedipus closed journal entry “Recalling What Has Yet To Come”]

===>