• Published 16th Mar 2014
  • 1,911 Views, 25 Comments

On Her Majesty's Dragonish Service - DinoDenver



Spike, the cute little dragon among ponies. Twilight Sparkle's number one assistant. But not many ponies know, that there is more to him than meets the eye.

  • ...
3
 25
 1,911

Chapter 3

“What is going on? Why aren't we departing?” Important looking pony, dressed in tuxedo, with top hat on his head, was clearly irritated.

“I'm very sorry, sir. We do not have permission to depart yet.” Light brown earth pony with cutie mark picturing a ticket was backing off a little.

“Then get the permission already! I want to get to Manehattan in this century!”

Snobbish pony was about to receive another apology, but characteristic, wheezing sound of Dragonfly interrupted their conversation. Spike landed near the base of the stairs to the ship. Navy blue unicorn was waiting for him.

“Take care of her, Sky!” Immediately after landing Spike jumped out and started to climb the stairs.

“Yes sir!” Sky Sailor got into Dragonfly and started his, rather long and wobbly, journey to the royal docks.

In just a moment Spike was on board. "Good thing I wrote that letter to Princess Celestia." Spike looked around, searching for something he could start with.

“Excuse me, sir.” He heard voice behind him. “Could you, please, show me your ticket?”

Spike didn't even turn around to face him. He just gave him nine tickets and started to walk, leaving surprised pony behind.

He knew where he should start - in the casino.

***

"This is HMS Sleipnir, we're ready for departure, requesting permission to take off."

Drop of sweat fell down to the floor. Certain flight controller was having rather stressful day.

"Repeat, this is HMS Sleipnir, requesting permission to take off."

"Request den..." He started with a weak voice and paused, when yellow blade dab his throat.

"They can go now." He heard a whisper in his ear.

"Permission granted! Repeat: HMS Sleipnir, you have permission to take off!" This nightmare was soon going to end.

"Roger that." Answered voice from the speaker, and almost immediately enormous ship started its first voyage.

Hoofsteps were clear indication, that someone was now trying to leave the room. Flight controller turned around and saw certain white alicorn. In yellow zorro-style mask. And yellow cape. Holding a banana with her magic.

Their eyes met.

"YOU SAW NOTHING! BANANA-MARE OUT!" She threw banana smoke bomb and vanished.

"...Just what was that?..." He asked himself. This sure will be a day to remember.

***

"Thirteen." Said croupier and moved large pile of chips in Spike's direction. Spike picked up few of them.

"Excuse me, sweetheart." He accosted nearby light pink earth pony mare. Her uniform was clearly indicating, that she was a waitress. Cutie mark picturing salver with glass on top was also supporting this theory.

"How can I help you, sir?" She asked with a smile.

"Could you please bring me another Lunar Shine?" He gave her a fifty-mark chip. Saying, that his tip was generous would be an understatement.

"Of course, sir, right away." Waitress nodded and went back to the bar.

"Sir, are you going to bet?" Croupier interrupted Spike. Dragon can't even look at waitress' flank in peace nowadays, as it turns out.

"Hmmmm..." Spike stroked his mustache. "Yes, everything on fourteen."

Croupier's eyes widened a bit for a brief moment, but he was a professional. And remarks about intelligence or sanity of a better would be considered as highly unprofessional, so after moving Spike's chips to the fourteen he spun the wheel and rolled the ball in opposite direction.

The ball was circling, from time to time colliding with roulette and changing it's trajectory. Few ponies were observing this ritual with tension written all over their faces. Spike, on the other hand, was observing certain pink mare. She brought him his drink and received another fifty-mark chip as a tip. He really has a thing for beautiful mares.

Ball was loosing it's momentum, tension was rising. "Well, it's nowhere close to what Luna would mix, but I guess it is acceptable." Spike thought to himself after trying a sip of Lunar Shine. Ball was barely moving. "That was quite a party." He smiled to himself after remembering Luna's 'welcome back' party.

"Fourteen..." Croupier couldn't believe his eyes.

"Well, at last." Spike finished his drink in one gulp.

"H-how did you... Why did you bet on fourteen?"

Spike raised his eyebrow a little. "Because I wanted to win?"

"B-but... how? How did you know?" Croupier was throwing out the little bit of professionalism he still had.

"I just did." Spike looked at his empty glass, then at the bar. And at the glass again. "Send this to my deposit please, I think that's enough of roulette for me. Thanks." He started walking in direction of particular bar. Vast emptiness in his glass was something that should be addressed as soon as possible.

"As you wish, sir." Croupier nodded a little. He pretty much regained his composure.

***

"Can I offer to buy you a drink?" Spike asked next to a yellow mare with beautiful red mane. Her cutie mark was a card. Queen of hearts to be exact.

She looked at him, from head to toe (and back to the head). "Sure."

"What can I get you?" Barman was spot on with his timing.

"Crazy Horse for the lady and Lunar Shine for me."

"Right away." Dark brown unicorn used magic to pick up few bottles and started mixing their drinks almost immediately.

"You're pretty observant, mister...?"

"Spike. Spike The Dragon." He turned to face her. "That wasn't really that hard to notice, miss Risk. But I have to admit, I was a bit surprised. It's not what I would call a girly drink."

"That may be true, but it's still nowhere near Lunar Shine, mister Spike. But more importantly, how do you know my name? I don't think that I introduced myself."

"I was told to met with you after completing my task." Sudden realization struck Spike's mind when he finished this sentence.

"Ah, so it is you. Didn't expect one person to be honest. So the job is done?"

"Here you go!" Barman, once again with great timing. Great for Spike at least.

"Thanks, man." Spike gave him few coins. "Why am I so stupid? Asked voice in his head. "Why didn't I ask what was their mission before I killed him..." At least now he had a drink to hide his perplexity. He took a gulp. "Of course it is done, why would I be here otherwise, miss Risk?" He smiled for a moment, but then turned around. "Barman, could you mix me another Lunar Shine?"

"Sure thing."

"I guess that's true, mister Spike." Charming risk took a sip of her cocktail.

"It is." He smiled. "So when am I going to meet with Doctor?"

"Trip will take an hour from Manehattan... So there's still quite some time."

"That's for sure." Flight to Manehattan was going to take another few hours at least. "I know, that it could sound weird, but can you tell me something about him?"

"You mean, about Doctor?"

"Yeah."

"You've never met him?" Charming Risk looked at him suspiciously.

"To be honest I know next to nothing about him." Spike was calm. Lunar Shine was a real confidence-booster. "All I know about him, is that we share some... we have similar world-view. That's pretty much why accepted this job, but I have never met him in person."

"Well, Doctor is rather mysterious individual, that's for sure." She smiled and took another sip of her cocktail. "What do you want to know, dear?"

"Hmmm..." Spike finished his drink. "Not sure where to start... Do you know him for long?"

Charming Risk looked into her glass for a moment with somewhat sad smile. Smile that Spike knew well. "Will be one year next week."

Spike took another sip of Lunar Shine and wondered for how long will it last. Because he felt, like this could be a pretty long story.

"I still remember the severe blizzard from that day..." Charming looked Spike in the eyes. "Have you ever been in Stalliongrad?"

"Not really, never had the occasion." Lied Spike. He had. And he was.

"It is a beautiful city, but weather there is just awful. And that day it was even worse, I don't remember second blizzard like that." She once again looked into her glass. "I don't know what would have happened, if Doctor didn't let me inside his apartment."

Charming Risk paused for a longer moment. She took another sip of her cocktail, stirred it a little with straw. "So, what else do you want to know, mister The Dragon?" Flirtatious smile she gave Spike wasn't exactly matching the topic of the conversation.

But this wasn't what surprised him enough to choke on his drink. "I thought she would be a little more effusive... He thought to himself while coughing.

"You okay, darling?" This smile wasn't a good match for a 'worried' look either.

Spike ignored that and cleared his throat. "So he was living in Stalliongrad and moved to Manehattan suburbs? That's pretty radical change."

"Oh, no, he was there only for business. He went back home three days later... and I followed him shortly after." Merrier smile appeared on her face.

Spike was starting to get Doctor's image in his head, but there was still one thing missing. "I told you before, that Doctor and I share similar world-view. In particular reluctance to the member of our royalty. Do you know what are his reasons?"

"He never told me. And I never was really curious enough to ask." Her smile faded. "Is it something important for you?"

"Not hugely important, but I'd sure like to know what motivates someone, that can be my... business-partner."

"And what about you?"

"Well..." Spike took a sip from his more and more emptier glass. "Today's dragons are only a shadow of former glory... And Celestia was individual, that greatly contributed to dragon's downfall."

"I've never heard about that..." Risk looked surprised.

"There are many dark secrets in Equestrian history, that you won't hear about in school. Or almost anywhere else to be exact." Spike told truth, for a change.

They remained silent for few moments. Charming, with depressed look on her face, was staring at her drink.

"Enough of these gloomy topics, let's change scenery." Charming Risk stood up and started trotting towards exit.

Spike followed her. Of course after emptying his glass. "Where would you like to go then?"

"I was thinking about swimming pool... Dragons aren't afraid of water, are they?" Charming mocked him a little.

"Dragons, miss Risk, aren't afraid of anything." Answered Spike with grin on his face.

But his smile faded a little when he noticed two well built stallions following them. He saw them earlier in the casino, they were observing him and his companion. Spike knew, that the chance of them just wanting to stare at Charming's flank some more were pretty slim, and that meant trouble.

***

"This ship never ceases to amaze me... I think they've got everything here." Said Charming Risk when they were walking by bowling hall.

"Well, Sleipnir was build to emphasize how prosperous Equestria has become in recent years. It's only natural to build it with such splendor... but I have to agree, it amazes me too." This was the first time Spike was more interested in two stallions than in chatting with mare.

At this point in time there was no doubt about it - they were followed. Two earth ponies, both in suits, both wearing sunglasses. They looked like thugs. Thugs in suits, but still thugs.

"You don't want to go to the swimming pool?"

Spike's surprised look was taken for an answer.

"You look kind of gloomy, mister The Dragon..."

"Guess that's just how I look, miss Risk." Laughed Spike. "But seriously, you don't have to worry about that, I do enjoy swimming. Although today I'm thinking about jacuzzi."

Charming didn't have time to verbalize any more of her doubts, because they reached their destination.

***

"This would be really nice, if not for the lack of Lunar Shine." Spike thought to himself. He was soaking up in jacuzzi while watching Charming in the swimming pool.

It was almost two hours since they arrived, and the pool was getting more and more empty with every passing minute. Actually, dark gray colored stallion was now leaving, and that meant there was only him and Charming left. And of course these two thugs, but they weren't technically at the pool.

Another half an hour have passed and nothing happened. Charming was still swimming, water in jacuzzi was still a delight, and thugs were still observing them from 'safety' of their 'hideout'.

"Maybe they really are just some perverts?" Spike entertained himself with this thought, but he knew it wasn't an option. These two were following them for quite some time. Charming didn't seem to notice them. "Are they her bodyguards...? She wasn't checking if they were following us... Maybe this Doctor send them to make sure everything went smoothly?" But before Spike came to any conclusion Charming Risk came to him.

"Do you mind?" She asked, but didn't waited for Spike's answer before joining him.

"You're quite a swimmer, miss Charming."

"Why, thank you, mister The Dragon." She smiled flirtatiously. "I hoped that you'll show me dragon style or something like that."

"Well... I also hope to show you dragon style." He grinned. "That's why I'm conserving my stamina for later."

"I didn't expect you to be such a pervert!" She laughed and dabbed him slightly. Then she turned around and got out of jacuzzi. "So... shall we get going then?"

The way she moved, the way she waved her flank, the way she wagged her tail... and of course the way she looked at him. "Jackpot." Spike thought to himself and followed her immediately.

"So, where do we go? Yours cabin or mine, mister Spike?"

"I don't even know where is mine to be honest. And you can seriously drop 'mister', Charming."

"My place then, Spike." She smiled. And then she stopped. "Can we go to sauna?"

That was sudden.

"Now?" Asked Spike.

"I have never been to sauna before..." Her goo goo eyes made it hard to refuse. Too hard.

Spike opened door for her and they went inside.

***

It was one of these high temperature - low humidity saunas, so popular in Fillyland, Canida and Hooviet Union. Narrow passage in the middle of the room with stone stove at the end. On both sides there were benches climbing up, so the last row was near the ceiling. Charming was lying on second row, while Spike sat on the last one, where the temperature was highest. It wasn't really affecting him, after all lava is a little hotter than that.

They were inside for about five minutes.

"This is boring. Let's go, Spike." Charming stood up and started walking towards the door, Spike followed her. But door opened before they reached them.

"Not so fast, Risk."

"Oh, yeah, I've totally forgotten about these guys."

Charming took a step back. Judging from the look on her face the hypothesis that they were her bodyguards wasn't really an option anymore. Two thugs were now inside.

"You thought, that we will not find you? That you can just run away? You were wrong, you bitch!"

"And if you behave then maybe we won't kill you too." Second one said to Spike and poked him in the chest with his broken leg. Well, not really poked, because leg never reached Spike's chest. And it was broken recently. By Spike.

Terrible scream filled the sauna as the first one fell to the floor. Judging from blood this was open fracture.

Second pony was quick to react. He immediately turned around, stood on his front legs and readied to kick Spike's head.

Spike wasn't interested in waiting for that to happen. He pushed pony's hind legs up, so he had to balance not to fall forward, and hit him in his chest with powerful right straight. He crashed through some benches and stopped on the wall.

Judging from deformed chest and one of the eyes not being in the eye socket anymore he wasn't going to wake up.

"You will get nothing out of me!" But Spike wasn't interested in interrogating somepony, that was trying to get in the way of him getting laid. Most hideous of crimes. "I'll kill you, you son of a...!" Three legged pony didn't have luxury of finishing his last sentence, because dagger provided him with additional hole in his head. Or rather hole through his head.

Spike turned around and looked at scared mare that was behind him. "This is boring. Let's go, Charming."

***

Charming Risk cuddled up to Spike. "That was amazing."

They were lying in bed, in Charming's cabin. Spike lighted up a cigarette with his flame. "You are amazing, sweet thing." He took a drag. "I didn't want to spoil the mood earlier, but I think that there is a little story that you want to tell me."

Charming remained silent for a while. "I guess I owe you an explanation..."