• Published 27th Mar 2014
  • 786 Views, 7 Comments

Supernova Twilight - A Pony In Coat



Twilight Sparkle never was accepted to Celestia's School For Gifted Unicorns and now wants revenge on Princess Celestia!

  • ...
 7
 786

Chapter 2: 10 in 10 Mares in Black agree that conspiracies are bad

Twilight ran as fast as she could through long corridors. She hated this place with every piece of her being. She needed a place to hide, like a storeroom or any place that is rarely used. She ran into first door her eyes have seen. Fortunately, it was storeroom for cleaning equipment and some empty forgotten cardboard boxes. She lit room with an illumination spell, wondering how easily she cast spell.

I hate this place!” Thought Twilight with raising fury. “THIS PLACE MUST GO!

In spite of quick rage quit from scene of devastation, she felt burning sensation at both her flanks just right now, thinking that she was hit by projectile from Princess Celestia. Something was not right, this was strange distribution for burn damage. She quickly assessed her flanks and noticed a…

“Cutie mark!” Squeed Twilight, gleaming with pure happiness.

Her cutie mark was more detailed that she had ever seen before, it was in shape of six-pointed star, with colours shifting from purple in centre to blue at tips of star and edges. The star had another smaller star behind it, but in yellow colour and tips coloured in orange. The stars were surrounded with five white coloured stars with faint white streaks flying outwards from centre of main star. According to descriptions in astronomy, cutie mark carried resemblance to supernova. This was most intricate cutie mark Equestria ever saw and nopony would wish to see particular cutie mark.

No one dares to do this to me! NO ONE. They will pay dearly...” Twilight continued her biding. “Mission statement as follows: prissy princess should get thorn to her side! The school must be levelled down.

Twilight considered if it should be figurative or literal thorn? Why not both? She rubbed her hooves together in anticipation for upcoming campaign, presenting widest smile that could even scare devil himself...

Later few hours, in spite thoughtful search for Twilight, nopony could find her, thanks to good hiding skills developed during episodes when Twilight was source of all kinds of problems. Twilight had used one of empty boxes in storeroom to hide and wait a while until night or at least evening.

She quickly evaluated her situation. The city is no longer safe for her in current state of affairs. She heard that Lyra enrolled Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns too. It’s time to search for particular unicorn. Carefully.

Twilight opened door slightly, just to peek. Interior was flooded bright light, but from looks of dark purple sky, it was late evening and corridors were empty, lit with golden light of chandeliers’ fire. It was advisable to avoid contact with other ponies.

She opened door of storeroom and carefully trotted towards exit at other side of building leading to school grounds. Although outdoors were lit by lampposts, it was still dark and few ponies were walking around, it was perfect opportunity to blend in, no one would distinguish her in bad lit conditions.

All walkways were leading to centre of grounds, towards square with fountain and silhouettes of pony statues. Once Twilight reached fountain, she took notice of big signboard with map of school grounds and buildings, all strategically important points: library, dorms, observatory and cafeteria. And Twilight knew where to find Lyra during such late hour. Lyra never would miss opportunity to gaze at stars. Twilight proceeded in direction of observatory, which was located in one of tower buildings at edge of mountain platform.

Twilight already began hating “it’s-bigger-on-inside-than-outside” enchantments. Observatory in spite of small external size was huge. She approached carefully, peeking around corners for sign of ponies who may bump into Twilight, but corridors were empty as if everyone magically disappeared. Following signs on walls, after long walking and stair climbing, she finally found required telescope room. As expected, she found small filly-sized shape sitting at telescope and apparently enjoying views though it. Twilight crept on familiar figure…

“Can you please tell me directions to library?” Asked Twilight nonchalantly.

“Aieeeeeeee!” Squealed Lyra, surprised at presence of somepony else at such late hour.

“Shhh!” Shushed Twilight. “It’s me! Twilight!”

“What are you doing here!?” Replied Lyra, still amazed at unexpected visitor. “Everypony was looking for you all day!”

“I have some unfinished, ahem, business, you know,” answered Twilight darkly, with playful evil spark in eyes. “Somepony owes me…”

“I even don’t want to know what you are up to this time,” replied Lyra, worried. “Let’s go, before somepony else stumbles on us.”

Lyra noticed something has changed in Twilight. Her natural curiosity has begun taking its effect…

“What’s happened?” Inquired Lyra. “Explosions and broken glass everywhere! Everypony in rush, search and panic! Don’t tell me it was you again?”

“I didn’t mean to!!!” Shouted Twilight back at Lyra, offended. “It was not my fault! Somepony else did it!”

Twilight told her short-long story of events.

“I know your 'I did not’!” Replied Lyra, with a bit of pride, once she finished listening to Twilight’s adventures. “That’s my Twilight!”

“Why it is so empty here?” Asked Twilight “I never had seen anypony indoor this evening!”

“Oh, you missing on a lot of interesting details!” Answered Lyra, with a smile. “We are using teleporters inside buildings. Unfortunately, it only works until nine o’clock in evening and start working in six o’clock morning, on top of that I would not recommend for you to use it, they may discover you some mumbo-jumbo authentication thingy. But we are relatively safe as long we keep our profiles low.”

Both unicorns travelled safely to exit.

“And about place to sleep… I have spot reserved for extra roommate,” said Lyra, tapping hoof at chin.

“And how did you manage to reserve a second spot?” Twilight asked slightly intrigued.

“Conspiracy-y-y!” Sang Lyra, mysteriously smiling. ”I was waiting for you. Turned out not as expected, but anyway… It worked.”

Twilight suddenly lost all of interest...

***

Few months ago, Twilight and Lyra were on visit to Canterlot History and Archaeology Museum. Twilight was lured by Lyra on grounds seeing ‘something truly magical’. Main focus of museum were historical artefacts from different eras of equine history and new archaeological discoveries.

Museum's featured exhibits were from eras of Discord’s reign, Founding of Equestria and many more, which were of no particular interest to Twilight, except for aisle that was covering history of great conjurer Star Swirl the Bearded. It sparkled Twilight’s interest, that’s ‘something truly magical’ Lyra promised! But was not what Lyra meant.

Lyra pressed Twilight to look at Equestrian archaeologists’ new artefacts discovered in San Palomino Desert located in next door hall with different artefacts behind glass covered showcases standing along walls; these artefacts did not present much appeal to Twilight: deformed metallic parts, nails, pots and other unidentified chunks of junk. Centre of hall had stage installed with some large object covered with roughspun cloth cover and khaki coloured mare with grey mane, wearing pith helmet and dark green shirt, surrounded by large crowd below. Twilight did not expect that humans will attract so many ponies, looks like it was contagious.

“Fillies and Gentlecolts, here you see a great mystery today,” announced a khaki coloured mare with a grey mane. “Today, we tell story about humans and dedicate this exhibit….”

“Not this again,” thought Twilight, annoyed. “These humans again. Ugh.”

Further story sounded like some underground fiction novel about unidentified flying objects in middle of desert.

“This happened many decades ago, when an identified flying object crashed in nightly desert of San Palomino Desert. Few witnesses report a streak of light and clouds left by object. Some say it was meteorite, others say it was a dragon. None of them were right!” Continued archaeologist mare. “Today, we will show unique find from San Palomino Desert,” she pulled off cover from object, discovering a white coloured contraption on four rubberized wheels. “An automobile! Few were found in ruins of San palomino Desert, it is believed that humans used it transport themselves, now it’s time for questions and answers!”

Exterior of automobile was impressive: shiny chromed front and rear bumpers, side mirrors were also housed in chromed housing. Interior was fully closed by windows and roof, which made it difficult to see besides being at lowered position. If any alive human was present on current event, he would call it along lines ‘Monstrosity from 50s-60s-70s, heck, I have no idea!’

“Look-look-look, Twilight!” Said Lyra excitedly, impatiently jumping in place. “Isn’t it gorgeous?! Truly magical!”

Twilight should have seen it miles and even moon’s distance away.

“Impressive.” Twilight found nothing to answer, as she was taken completely by surprise at possibility of human existence.

“You know what we will do?” Asked Lyra, with evil sparks in her eyes.

Twilight was buried deep in her thoughts… How it is possible to come up with such thing? What magic does it run on and which conversion method does it uses; polymorphic or kinetic only? Possibilities are limitless!

“Let’s steal it.” Said Lyra, as if she was suggesting to go out to picnic.

“Ok…” Replied Twilight, still lost. “Wait, what?”

“We will just borrow it for a ride!” Explained Lyra, gleaming. “And then we will see if we can return it.”

“What do you mean ‘and then we will see if we can return it’?” Twilight’s confusion was replaced by worry.

“Stuff happens, you know,” Lyra said nonchalantly. “It will be real shame if something happens to it… Like not returning it in one piece.”

Twilight was worried about Lyra, not the car.

“Anyway, how do you expect to pull it off?” Asked Twilight, trying to wrap her mind around such grand scheme.

“First we need to draw everypony’s attention away,” considered Lyra, looking up at ceiling. “And then we’ll sneak in and we will see from there on.”

“Just like that?” Twilight voiced her concerns about Lyra’s boldness. “No back-up plan?”

“Pfff! Who needs back-up plans?” Dismissed Lyra with hoof wave. “Back-up plans are for losers!”

“Twi, do you have matches?” Lyra showed a red cylindrical stick with thread leading inside stick. Twilight could read half rubbed-off black letters ‘TNT’…

“Where did you get it?” Twilight asked cautiously.

“Conspiracy-y-y!” Sang Lyra. “They have a lot of it in storeroom here. Looks like human fireworks… I think, they wouldn’t mind if they’ll miss one.”

“Are. You. Sure?” Twilight had very bad feeling about it. “I think, we have to drop this idea.”

“Yup.” Lyra hit Twilight’s head and sparks flew from her eyes, lighting up fuse on explosive stick. Lyra threw it in direction of showcases, while all ponies were still busy with Q and A. “Sorry.”

“HEY!!!” Twilight rubbed her aching head. “But!”

“Don’t worry, they always can get more at dig site!” Lyra calmed down Twilight. “Now, duck!”

Loud explosion echoed through halls of museum, tearing showcases into shreds and making a hole in a wall, raising panic deep within patrons and triggering magic fire protection. As expected, rainclouds formed under ceiling with immediate tropical rain downpour and ponies running in circles, with their manes and tails on fire...

Couple walked calmly towards automobile concealed by total mayhem, but faced problem: how to get inside.

“Now what?” Said Twilight dejectedly, soaking under rain. “And you said it was firework?”

“Get inside, what else?!” Responded Lyra, annoyed and not less wet than Twilight. “Maybe humans had hardcore parties!”

Twilight studied doors of car, looking at something that can open it, noticing that handles are familiar to typical handles in fridges, but only horizontal.

“I have idea,” said Twilight with smirk. “Can you give me boost?”

“Aww, why?” Lyra whined, pouting.

“You hit me,” explained Twilight, giving Lyra a ‘squee’. “Now it’s your turn.”

“Fine.” Grumbled Lyra.

Twilight climbed on Lyra’s back, causing her to stagger, Twilight pulled on ‘fridge’ handle, opening door with click and both unicorns lost balance, falling on their backs. Twilight and Lyra chuckled. Pair slipped inside, finding themselves in seat too large, even for adult pony, seat itself was made of unknown material. Challenge next up: move the whole machine.

Twilight and Lyra faced dashboard with multitude of levers, knobs, buttons, mysterious gauges and one steering wheel, while at bottom car had 2 pedals. On left side couple of large levers and other side had one lever, obviously to open door and other turnable lever on door. Both unicorns’ eyes were wide in awe and felt like sitting at controls of big spaceship.

“So, where do we start?” Twilight and Lyra asked each other in unison.

“Trial and error?” Lyra suggested, studying panel and pedals.

“I hope that none of buttons self-destructs entire thing…” Replied Twilight, taking closer look at symbols on and near buttons, levers, turnables and other interactive surfaces, many of which were either incomprehensible, silly or familiar symbols from alphabet, but useless in current context.

“What if we press this big red button?” Suggested Lyra, pointing with her hoof at red button on left of steering wheel.

“Isn’t it ill-advised to press big red buttons?” Considered Twilight, with hoof raised to her muzzle in doubt.

“Why humans would want to destroy such beauty?” Reasoned Lyra, slowly pressing button. Twilight pressed her ears with hooves.

Quiet giggling and then whirring sounded from somewhere front of car, sounds of living machine.

“This is captain Lyra Heartstrings speaking,” announced Lyra to particular no one. “Captain and her co-pilot Twilight Sparkle wish you a nice trip!”

“Twilight, pony the throttle controls!” Commanded Lyra, and pointing at pedals below. One doesn’t need to be a scientist to figure out controls, especially it’s common in science fiction to use pedals for major controls of spaceships and Lyra had vast theoretical technical knowledge in it. “I will be at helm!'

Space and high-tech themes were popularised by novel series ‘Celestial Odyssey’, quickly followed by comic books and movies. Story of venturing ponies into unexplored part of space beyond their home sol system, with final destination of meeting humans. And sudden of all, pony spaceship gets in trouble every time and in general their ship is trouble magnet. Spaceship’s captain, very courageous mare, always talks way out of trouble and gets out only mare alive because she wears uniform of particular colour.

Twilight never was fan of series and considered it ‘pseudoscientific garbage’, yet she wondered why in hay they would not outfit crew with safe uniform colours and avoid any deaths this way?

Twilight indistinguishably grumbled and climbed down to compartment below steering wheel with two pedals.

“Full ahead!” Shouted out Lyra, shifting lever on left to position ‘D’. “Twilight, pedal to metal!”

Twilight pushed tight pedal obediently… Nothing happened. She tried the other pedal, slowly pressing it in…

Automobile started swiftly from its place and drove into wall, creating additional hole in museum’s wall. Car entered road, starling pedestrians and ponies pulling carriages, was approaching marketplace square located nearby quite fast…

“Twilight!” Commanded Lyra, seeing as they headed for stall full of tomatoes. “Brake!”

Twilight reacted too slowly and stall took flat form-factor with juicy splat, completely painting car in red but mysteriously leaving chromed parts clean and shiny.

“Never mind!” Dismissed Lyra, taking course straight towards the remaining stalls in marketplace ahead. “Squeeze the juice, Twilight!”

Apple, Grape and Orange stalls followed the course, leaving behind respective puddles of juice and vendors searching for their jaws.

“I’m trying!” Shouted Twilight below, trying to shift hardly budging tight accelerator pedal as hard as possible.

Lyra looked down at dials in dashboard and searched for something else to press, finding switch labelled ‘Cruise Control’ and flipping it. Car maintained speed without any help of Twilight.

“Twilight!” Hollered Lyra from her seat. “You can relax!”

“What about brakes?” Asked Twilight, climbing on seat next to Lyra and questioning herself how she could let Lyra take command over controls.

“What brakes? Beep-beep, there are no brakes on this car!” Grinned Lyra with insane glitter in her eyes, sounding car horn twice for emphasis.

Meanwhile, car reached another row of stalls, throwing up in air different contents. Twilight gazed upon maddening destruction in front of her. As car progressed towards end of row, its monotonous colour changed to multi-coloured splats and blots. Roof was full of fruits, resembling fruit hat on some exotic dancer’s costume, only lacking in dress.

“We just need a dress!” Announced Lyra, turning steering wheel and taking heading towards shop across the road. “To the fabrics shop!”

Shop in question stood at other side of road, opposite of market plaza. Shop was tall, two storey building with long semi-round windows, providing light for both its storeys; and few oval checkered domes with mandatory flags and wind vanes. Building covered large area, taking up entire width of city block and had second main entrance leading to parallel street at other side of building.

Shop was central hub of textile trade, servicing thousands of customers daily, presenting large choice of fabrics and if customer wanted, he could order clothes sewn from any fabric pointed at.

Car crashed into shopfront destroying any mannequins and displaying excellent model of what could happen to patrons if they get into way of evil contraption.

“That's how you do drive-in shopping!” Exclaimed Lyra gleefully, driving car out of opposite side of shop.

Few ponies dashed out of shop, with their manes and tails on fire... Twilight could swear that all of her hair turned grey and left her body. Fortunately, it wasn't case as reassured by Twilight.

Car now had curtains inside at windows, chromed parts had long folded fabric hanging, tied with bows to keep it folded and hung along perimeter of car's body.

Automobile entered road and took exactly middle of road, causing carriages to swerve to edges of street. It was worth noticing that car's suspension provided jitterless and smooth trip on cobblestone road surface, even for its time, only leaving slight sideways swaying...

“Aren’t we supposed to drive on right?” Questioned Twilight.

“Who has more weighting?” Lyra digressed, leaning to press gas pedal further. “Them or us?”

Twilight had nothing to say against Lyra's infallible logic and pressed herself stronger into seat. Automobile was rolling lightly along street and quickly approaching live crossroad...

“Watch where you're going, fool!” Shouted Lyra out of window and shaking hoof at crossing carriage that was almost ridden over, while other carriages and carts braked, barely missing the 'crime against road rules' and crashed into each other, turning into huge cloud of dust; mix of ponies and debris rose into air, former landing conveniently on paved sidewalks, while the latter were part of unscheduled rain with chance of goods. Solitary wheel rolled out of slowly dissipating cloud of dust and continued its journey down the road.

Past crossroad, car was approaching dead end ahead ending with abyss off cliff side and pedestrian zone along coastline. Ponies were strolling and minded they own business, enjoying fresh breeze and conversing about classy topics like arts, literature and philosophy; about to be interrupted with something which will be discussed for months to come.

“Where's your back-up plan now?” Grinned Twilight maliciously, disregarding own safety in events about to transpire. “What are you going to do now?”

“Plan’s lifecycle expired,” Said Lyra calmly, as if nothing had happened or about to happen. “So… Abandon ship!”

Lyra grabbed Twilight and opened door, quickly jumping off and taking care not break any appendages. Car continued to move towards its doom, breaking metallic barrier at edge of cliff, and finally, diving into blue distance. Twilight and Lyra galloped along with other ponies towards edge of platform to conduct a vehicle with their eyes, observing as alien contraption crashes into ground below, exploding in a ball of fire. Only latent, faintly audible clap reached ponies’ ears.

The couple of filly unicorns disappeared from scene of tragedy, nopony suspected seemingly innocent fillies…

***

Twilight was blankly staring into space. Every time Lyra said word ‘Conspiracy-y-y!’, it meant some deep stuff about to go down.

Oh horseapples…” Twilight thought, not saving language. It's just nothing compared to things to come. “Not this again...

“I see you've got your cutie mark! I suppose it have to do anything with that little accident? Twilight?” Lyra asked, and not getting any answer from Twilight in stupor. “TWILIGHT! WAKE UP!”

“Uh, what? Sorry.” Apologised Twilight “I was carried away a bit.”

“If my astronomy knowledge is correct,” pondered Lyra, tapping her hoof at chin. “Is it supernova?”

“Yep. I think my cutie mark has to do something with massive destruction.” Concluded Twilight flatly.

They were approaching one of dorm towers. It had round ladder around building, sheltered by barely noticeable thin glass layer. It had series of doorways along ladder, leading to different floors of building. Every door had large vases with unidentified small slim gold-leafed trees. At entrance of building, there was an old porter pony snoozing behind counter. Twilight flinched at his sight, but Lyra reassuringly put hoof on Twilight’s shoulder.

“He’s asleep.” Said Lyra, yawning. “Hide behind one of those vases, he knows literally everypony here and we don't want him asking embarrassing questions about you.”

Twilight lurked to nearest vase. Lyra woke porter and asked for keys, displeased porter was grumbling something about 'fillies at that late time', gave her keys and went back to his sleep. Lyra and Twilight continued ascend upstairs. The air and walls of tower seems emitted glowing light, making any other light sources unnecessary.

“By the way, what’s name of your ‘roommate’?” Asked Twilight, wondering what her new name will be.

“Dusk Shine.” Replied Lyra, shuffling her fore hooves.

“Sounds awful a lot like my name…” Responded Twilight with apparent suspicion, but made decision not to question Lyra any further and change conversation topic to avoid any demons in Lyra’s wardrobe.

“Lyra, what are you going to study besides magic?” Asked Twilight with a hint of curiosity. “Astronomy? Aliens? I’m even not sure that such subject exists…”

“Yeah,” sighed the other unicorn. “At least there is astronomy, and there is not much choice here generally.”

The couple of unicorns reached their floor, entering doorway and trotting along circular lobby, completed in similar colour as interior in the rest of buildings, besides for row of redwood doors along wall and round metallic plate at floor. They stopped by one of doors with number 1024.

“Welcome to our humble abode,” Lyra motioned her hoof, demonstrating a high-ceiled room with two single beds opposite of each other, matching set of wardrobes and one table large enough for two ponies by a high window with semi-round top. Table had two lamps and was completed with two chairs, table top already had some books, obviously, brought by Lyra. Room had entrance to bathroom on close right and small kind of kitchen on left side. “Choose your bed! I choose one by right!”

“Right.” Twilight rolled her eyes and looked at books on table, mostly pertaining to astronomy. “I guess it’s time to go to bed…”

“Indeed,” agreed Lyra, comforting herself on bed. “We need to wake up early tomorrow, we have a lot of to cover…”

“May I borrow one of your books?” Asked Twilight, smiling. “Little read couldn’t hurt, right?”

Lyra nodded, wrapping in blanket. Twilight climbed on bed and pulled covers over herself. She only fell asleep in early morning with a copy of ‘Constellations of Universe, 102nd Edition’.

Author's Note:

Constructive criticism welcome!
(But keep in mind that English is not my home language)