• Published 14th Jan 2014
  • 2,796 Views, 141 Comments

Equestria Noir Season 2 Case 9 "The Princess and I" - Jacoboby1



As the Princess Summit comes under way, the student of another Princess mysteriously disappeared. Somepony is behind this, and wants to make sure Twilight is found responsible. Just another mystery in the latest chapter of Equestria Noir.

  • ...
2
 141
 2,796

Chapter 6 "Phoenix"

Chapter 6

“Phoenix”

“What? My my, dear Celesti showing some… backbone?” Soleil said as she stood there, despite her bravado I could see her sweating.

“I have enough backbone to know when to put my hoof down.” Celestia said, her normally calm voice developing a fury few rarely see. “What I have heard sickens me. How dare you even consider what you have done!”

“Oh you think you’re so perfect Celestia? Well, finally I’ll put that lousy arrogance of yours down like I should have long ago!” Her horn glowed brightly and suddenly the room was filled with her soldiers. Soleil looked to the captain, “Kill them all! I’ll just say to our Calvarian citizens we were attacked, that is more then enough to justify war! Or should I say…” One of the guards tossed a large halberd at her, which she caught and her own magic flowed into it. Turning it gold and becoming very extravagant. She then tackled Celestia and the two flew outside the window.

I drew Silver Wolf and cut Blaze Warden loose.

“You crazy? He’s one of them!” Rainbow said.

“You heard him talking, he’s not with them. Not if he truly cares for Gloam like I know he does.” I said firmly.

Blaze nodded and fired a bolt of magic at one of Soleil’s forces. He picked up the fallen soldier’s halberd and said, “Let’s end this!”

“Everypony! We gotta get to Twilight! Fight your way through!” I yelled as the others gathered.

We then charged into the frey, hoping that we could finally stop this.

_______________________________________________________

Perspective: Twilight Sparkle

I stood there, practically feeling the aura of dark magic coming from her. Before I was an alicorn, it wasn’t as obvious. But now, it was as if something had gripped her heart and wouldn’t let go...and I could hear it beat.

I looked at Gloam, and slowly backed away, I needed a plan…”Gloam, why are you doing this?”

“If I do this,” She said, her voice sounding almost dead. “Soleil promised me my freedom.”

“Was it Soleil who taught you dark magic too?” I asked.

“She did, she said it was the only way to power…” Gloam continued.

Voidera was laying there unconscious, to think Dark Magic could be so powerful as to knock him out.

I had to get through to Gloam, it was the only way.

“Just, what did Soleil do to you?” I asked.

Gloam looked down, “She, when I was an orphan on the streets, she took me in. She said she could make me into a true unicorn. I believed her. The first few years were grand, amazing as I learned to master my powers. But, then everything changed. My powers started not working as well as they could’ve. Soleil said she’d figured out a way to make them better. So...I took the syringes…”

I remembered, that stuff that Pave Diamond had. That made her magic stronger.

“Gloam, your magic failed during the summit.” I pointed out. “Was that a side effect?”

Gloam nodded, “It was, there are times when I can’t control the syringes. My magic just simply couldn’t be controlled. Soleil, said that she would give me a cure, and let me be free if I...If I kill you...and help Equestria enter war with Calvaria…”

“Gloam, you can’t want to do this!” I yell.

“I have to, I can’t disobey Soleil…” Gloam said, a tear falling from her eyes. “I need...to be free...so I will listen to my mas-”

I lifted my hoof and slapped her across the face. How could she do this! Be so willing to bow to a Princess who isn’t even worth it! Who lied, cheated and probably set this whole thing up as a petty means of revenge against Celestia! I will not hear this! It’s time somepony woke Gloam up!

At my slap, Gloam’s eyes returned to normal, and the dark magic aura faded.

“Gloam, you can’t do this!” I yelled. “You know it’s wrong! All Soleil wants is for you to be her little puppet! She’s only your master because you believe it! Magic at it’s very core is will, the will to become stronger, the will to be better. Soleil destroyed that will when you agreed to let her supply you with that cheap substitute. Gloam, you can’t bow anymore!”

“Easy for you to say!” Gloam yelled back, “You are an Alicorn! Everything comes easy for you!”

I closed my eyes and said, “When, I was just a filly I tried to get into Celestia’s school for Gifted Unicorns. There was a test that required that I cause a dragon egg to hatch using my magic.”

“But, you did it right? You made headlines even in Calvaria…” Gloam said, her eyes wide.

“I did, but only because of my friend Rainbow’s sonic rainboom.” I stopped when I noticed Gloam’s expression. “Long story, anyways, I was ready to give up, I couldn’t hatch the egg on my own. In the end, it was my friends that helped me, maybe not directly but they did help. I became a Princess because I wanted to aid somepony I cared about, that I respected and loved. Not somepony I was enslaved to.”

Gloam looked down and said, “But...how can I…?”

_________________________________________________________

Perspective: Celestia

Soleil and I clashed in the skies above the Crystal Empire, our weapons clanging against one another, as we fought. I was determined to win, to keep this tyrant from coming to my land, and walking over my little ponies. How dare she even try! Just because I was born of both the houses of Day and Night does not give her the right to just… declare war on my home!

The shafts of our weapons clashed and I glared at her, “All of this because of your petty desire for revenge? Have you no shame or heart Soleil?”

“You are one to talk about shame,” Soleil said, her eyes showcasing her true madness. “I was the one who was to inherit the sun! I was the one who was to be the true Queen of the world! But your father, dear sweet uncle Lunard, had to spit on that very idea!”

I flew back, fired a beam of magic at her which she dodged, “I never asked to be born where I did! Being born does not make one great! One must build from the starting point! Not lord it over others!”

“You speak like your pathetic mother as well!” Soleil cried, coming to swing her halberd at me.

In her anger I dodged and weaved around her, firing a beam of magic into her back and sending her flying into the Crystal Palace...Cadence is going to kill me…

She soon came back at me, swinging madly, “I will destroy your pathetic excuse for a Kingdom! You talk about being a princess, yet I think it’s your subjects who rule you! You are an alicorn Celestia! They are merely mistakes! Created by some evil demon to destroy the alicorns!”

“You apparently,” I grunted, trying to block her attacks. “Never listened to Faust either…”

“I will destroy you! Like I should have done centuries ago!” Soleil cried, launching herself at me.

I was not going to let her defeat me...come on Twilight do what you have to…

__________________________________________________________

Perspective: Private Eye

Pony fought pony as Soleil’s guards clashed with the soldiers of the Crystal Empire, and Equestria. The ballroom would never be the same, as furniture was destroyed, and the floor scuffed beyond all recognition by the armored hooves of the combatants. The walls became scorched, some of them even cracking from the force of the magic being thrown around by Soleil’s force, who didn’t seem to care who they aimed at, as long as it wasn’t a member of their gaudy band. Meanwhile, the Equestrian Guard, and the Crystal Guard were trying to defend retreating civilians, to get them out of the line of fire.

One tried to attack Flash while he was down, but Snowflake turned and made the guard into a ice sculpture with her magic. The girls were fighting alongside the other guards. Rainbow swooping down and punching out enemies, Aj bucking them to next year, Rarity showing her surprising combat prowess too. Even Fluttershy aided guards with the almighty power of the stare...I really hope someday that doesn’t backfire on her.

Luna slammed the but end of her scythe into the stomach of a guard and flew over to Blaze and I. “We have them outnumbered, and the civilians are nearly out! Shining Armor and Cadence are making sure that none try to reach those in the other rooms!”

“Where is Twilight?” I asked quickly.

“She was with Voidera,” Luna said, “In one of the upper rooms!”

“Blaze!” I said quickly, “You’re with me!”

“Gloam is probably with Twilight right now…” Blaze said, sounding worried.

We had to move quickly…

We ran upstairs, on the way to Twilight’s room, when we saw two of Soleil’s ponies going for Skyla! Warden and I ran after them. I was determined not to let them lay a hoof on my niece!

Suddenly however, a bright light shown from the room. Blaze and I looked in to find the guards...making out…?

I stared dumbfounded as the two guards kissed one another. The lankier one said, “Watt, I can’t believe I was so blind. After all these years serving together I can finally say how I feel.”

“Shut up and kiss me, Shamrock!” The other said.

Skyla gleefully clapped her hooves and shouted, “Wuv!”

I just facehoof and Ran’sea came from the corner to pick up Skyla. She walked over to us. “Thank goodness you came around, I don’t know where we’d be when Skyla’s love spell wore off.”

“Find somewhere to hide her, quickly!” I said firmly.

Ran nodded and took Skyla away. I pulled out Golden Eagle and zapped them both. When they wake up, they’ll think it was just a dream.

I hope that Twilight doesn’t hear of this, those two would be perfect fodder for her fics…

“Private!”

I looked up to see Twilight running to me, flinging her forelegs around me. I held her just as tight, “Oh Twilight, I’m glad you’re okay!”

Blaze looked up as Gloam came behind Twilight. “Gloam…” He said, looking at her.

“Blaze…” Gloam ran at him, tears in her eyes as she threw her forelegs around him. “I did something horrible! I was so foolish to even consider following Soleil’s orders...I should’ve...I should’ve…”

Blaze, blushing redder than Big Mac, slowly wrapped his forelegs around her. SCORE! My matchmaker instincts are still 100% perfect!

You weren’t right about Luna and Prince Ember though!

GET OUT OF MY NARRATION!

I focused back on Twilight as she said, “What is going on exactly? Is Soleil really behind this?”

“I’ll explain everything later.” I said firmly, “Right now we need to help get the guards out.”

“No,” Gloam said firmly, “I have to face Soleil, I’m not letting her get away with this! Not anymore!”

Before any of us could stop her, she ran off.

_________________________________________________________

Perspective: Celestia

I lay on the ground panting. This fight has taken a lot out of me, and I could feel my reserves being drained. I haven’t fought like this in a long, long time. But, I had Soleil right where I wanted her...and she had no idea of it…

Soleil stood there, looking ever so smug as she declared, “I win Celestia! I finally proved myself superior!”

“Oh, you truly believe that, do you?” I asked, trying not to smile.

“Pure House of Day blood won over some mutt, born of a mix of day and night, and I just proved myself superior! I will destroy your country, enslave those pathetic wretches, and make sure they blame you and only you for their downfall,” Soleil gloated. “And I’ll take special pleasure in the long torture of that false alicorn, Twilight Sparkle. But first, before I can truly relish my victory, I have to eviscerate you!”

Now, was my chance to smile as I heard what I needed to hear. “You were always blind Soleil, in so many ways…”

“What are you prattling about?!” Soleil yelled.

“Did you really think your plan was so flawless? Honestly it was so transparent you may as well have planned it in a glass house. I didn’t want to do this, a part of me believed that maybe you had changed, but I see now...that you haven’t changed...and that is your downfall right now…”

I looked over, and saw Gloam coming outside, with Twilight, Private and her guard Blaze Warden at her side.

“Soleil!” Gloam yelled, I knew she would be here.

“What is the meaning of this!” Soleil yelled, turning her attention to Gloam. “You should have killed her like I asked!”

“No!” Gloam yelled with all her might.

“What?! You are my slave! I am your master!” Soleil yelled. “I took you off the streets when you were a vagrant! I brought you into my castle! Fed you! Taught you! And this is how you betray me?”

“I see your true colors right now Soleil,” Gloam said firmly. “All you are is just a selfish witch. Twilight showed me that being a Princess is more than just ruling! It’s about having a kind heart.” She turned to my student. “She, despite everything I did, wanted to give me a chance at freedom. I will never forget that.”

Twilight smiled in turn. I fought the urge to wink or something.

I just was on a high right now that I managed to one up Soleil. Oh I’ve been waiting to do this for years.

Soleil’s eyes burned with anger and her horn glowed, causing a ring of fire to form around her and Gloam, keeping everypony else out. “I will kill you for your insubordination, let it serve as an example to all those rebels who dared to question my rule!”

“They question your rule because you don’t listen to them!” Twilight yelled. “Your corrupt rule has caused them to want to rebel!”

“Silence! The only reason they even exist is to serve me! All things exist to serve me! I will prove it this day…” Her horn glowed again. “By making this slave bow….”

She fired her magic at Gloam, who dodged out of the way.

Twilight held her hoof up before Private could jump in, “This is her fight.”

Gloam deftly dodged and weaved her way around Soleil’s attacks. Gloam took a position and fired her own horn at Soleil. Soleil yelled as the spell hurt her a little bit. She then glared at Gloam, “You’ll pay for that, you whore!”

She blasted Gloam in the stomach with a spell, sending her rolling towards the ring of fire. I mustered up what little strength I could and stopped her from catching fire.

She slowly got to her hooves, glaring at Soleil. “For, too long I suffered under you. Been treated as little more than a dog, but I’m sick. I’m sick of you treating everypony like your pawns! I will fight you! I will not stop until you are the one who pays for what you’ve done!”

“You actually think you can defeat me?” Soleil laughed, “You are nothing! You couldn’t even defeat Twilight with your display! What hope could you have against a goddess like me!?”

She fired a fireball at her, Gloam summoned a shield and braced for the impact...only it never came.

Blaze Warden, threw himself through the ring of fire, and put himself in the path of the fireball. He fell to the ground and it felt as if time had stood still as he did. Gloam practically screamed, running to Warden and turning him over, “Warden! Please! Speak to me!” She begged.

Warden smiled and looked up at her, “I..never told you how beautiful you are…”

“Warden...you…” Gloam said, staring at him. “Why did you try to save me...why…?”

“In truth, I always cared about you. I hated what Soleil did to you...I...I never got the chance to say…” He moved up and whispered in such a way that only me and Soleil could probably hear it…

“I love you...Gloam…”

He then fell over, Gloam standing over him.

Soleil scoffed, “What a worthless stallion. Believing in something as pathetic and idiotic as love.”

“Shut up…” Gloam said.

“What was that?!” Soleil yelled.

Gloam turned...and her eyes glowed yellow...there...that’s what I was hoping for…

“SHUT UP!!!” She yelled, and suddenly the fire around them became a blazing inferno. Private and Twilight stepped back as the fire soon enveloped Gloam.

“No! No it cannot be! It’s impossible!” Soleil screamed, and I watched her eyes become green...like Sombra’s…”I will not be denied! Not ever!”

She fired her magic at Gloam, but it just got absorbed into the fire. Up in the sky, a solar flare fell towards Gloam and hit her like a light from heaven…

The sun had chosen...it’s new bearer…

Before everypony’s eyes, Gloams coat turned into a glistening white. Then the flare’s fire spread into fiery wings, gold at their limbs, and a fiery red at their feathers, her mane turned a warm golden yellow of a sun on a summer’s day. Mind you she did not turn into a fully-grown alicorn. She gained the same height boost as Twilight, and the same more pronounced horn. Gloam had ascended, taking Soleil’s place as her hemisphere’s daybringer.

Soleil, in the meantime had shrunk to the size of an ordinary pony, her mane turning orange, and her coat yellow, her wings were gone, and her power, obviously, diminished to that of an ordinary unicorn.

“WHAT!” Soleil screamed, “What have you done to me!”

When Gloam spoke, it was with every bit of power a true princess had, “I am Gloam no longer! I cast aside the name you gave me after you have enslaved me! The sun has given me new life! I am a new pony, reborn...I am Phoenix!” She spread her wings and the fire slowly seeped into her wings.

Truly a sight to behold.

“NO! YOU WILL BOW TO ME!” Soleil’s horn glowed with dark magic and she tried to blast Glo-I mean, Phoenix.

Phoenix simply dodged out of the way, and fired a blast of fire right back at Soleil.

Soleil brought up a shield that held back the flames. “HA! YOU THINK YOU CAN DEFEAT ME!? I AM-”

BANG!

Private fired his new weapon, Blackhawk was it? At the shield, the bullet shattered the magical shield like glass.

Now, there was nothing stopping the fire from hitting Soleil…

It was over...