• Published 18th Mar 2012
  • 563 Views, 16 Comments

A newcomer lurks - FelixVerricht



Just a little slice of life. A new pony comes to town and feels slightly out of place.

  • ...
 16
 563

Surprise party

Chapter 2 surprise party
Okay first of all this isn’t going to be an epic or anything, maybe in the future when I actually have some good ideas for a plot line but for now just my imagination running wild with potential ideas and some other things. And this is meant to be sort of a life in Ponyville story a plotline may come along as I continue but for now just an awkward pony meeting friends. Anyway welcome to chapter two.

It was very early morning, the first glimpses of sun seeping through the window, the sound of a rooster cawing could be heard even this far from the farms. It was taking Snow a little while to adapt to this early waking habit but it wasn’t all bad. Snow rolled off the bed to get up and clean his face but as he rolled to the edge he collided with a pile of boxes sending knick knacks flying. “Perfect” Snow said with a less than pleased look on his face “I really need to unpack everything and tidy this place up.” But that would have to wait he had an appointment today he was to meet Twilight and retrieve some reading material.

Unbeknownst to Snow he was in for a surprise when he reached the library. Pinkie pie being Pinkie pie had organised a party for him in the library complete with confetti cannon. But Twilight interjected when Pinkie was setting up.
“Uh Pinkie I realise you want to throw him a party because he’s new but he’s a little shy and a surprise party may not be best.”

“Gee you’re silly Twilight there’s nothing that makes a pony feel more welcome than a party. One with lots of confetti.” Pinkie said opening another packet of the colourful streamers and tossing them around Twilights nice clean library. The idea of a party had spike positively giddy, it meant he got to eat cake and other assortments of sweets without Twilight getting mad at him.

“Ohh Pinkie are you going to bring some chocolate cake in?” Spike said trying to hold back a torrent of drool dripping from his mouth.
“Spike!” Twilight said disapprovingly using her magic to grab a cloth to wipe his mouth up. “ You can be really messy sometimes.”
But Pinkie had ignored the question and continued organising food and fixing balloons to chairs.
“I need this party to be as good as the one I threw for you Twilight. Minus the incident with the hotsauce.” The mere mention of that incident made Twilights tongue burn.
A loud knock came at the door of the large tree/library. “Oh goodie” Pinkie said jumping with glee towards the door. “That must be everypony else.”

“You didn’t invite the whole town did you Pinkie?” Twilight said with a worried look.
“Of course not you said he was rather shy so I just invited our friends.” Pinkie said with a smile opening the door.
As Pinkie opened the door she was greeted by a conjoined hello from everypony outside. Applejack was last to enter as she was carrying some party supplies that Pinkie had requested. “There you go” Applejack said with a sigh putting the party supplies down.
“So what or who is this party for?” Asked the cyan Pegasus known as Rainbowdash.
“Yes I have to agree with Rainbow on this one even though I enjoy your parties as much as the next pony this one seems to have sprung up out of the blue?” Queried Rarity.
“Yeah, actually Pinkie how do you know about the newcomer?” Applejack asked.
“Newcomer?” Fluttershy, Rainbow and Rarity said in unison.
“Yeah isn’t it great a new pony in town. Well Twilight I was working in sugarcube corner yesterday and a pony came in I hadn’t seen before he just came to purchase some sugar and was obviously a bit lost. But I sold him some sugar even though it isn’t supposed to be sold. But he was nice and all very courteous and he kept eyeing some of the baked goods in the window so we started chatting I suggested some of the delicious treats the Cakes make and he loved them he bought a couple and left.”

“Oh okay makes sense” Twilight said looking a bit perplexed
“Get a move on everypony we have to make this a good party to make our guest feel welcome.” Applejack said in her loud voice. There was a lot of bustling and a bit of franticness as everypony got everything right by about 8:15 everything looked ready to go and all they needed was for their guest to arrive. Twilight had been designated as lookout for when Snow was heading down the street towards the library.

Snow didn’t realise exactly what was going to happen when he reached the library he thought it was going to be like the Canterlot library. Quiet, people telling you to be quiet at the slightest noise you made, even if it was an accident. Not realising there was a party of ponies waiting for him he was taking his time. Enjoying his breakfast, a cup of tea and one of those delicious pastries he’d bought from the shop earlier yesterday. Behind him on a pile of haphazardly stacked boxes sat a clock which read 8:20. “ Uh oh” Snow said through a mouthful of apple and pastry I’m meant to meet Twilight at the library at 8:30. “Better get going.” Snow gave a quick gaze around the room looking for his roller skates but they were nowhere to be seen “probably still boxed up” he said rolling his eyes. He looked back at the pair of wings sitting on his back “well I don’t use my wings as often as I should might as well.”
It wasn’t that Snow was a weak flyer or anything it’s just he never really used his wings but when the time called for it he was a decent flyer. His father was a Pegasus so he taught him everything he knew but his father could never quite fathom Snows love for ice skating and roller blading.

Either way Snow might be late, and he hated being late for anything he was pedantic about punctuality. So he quickly finished his food and headed out the door remembering to lock up this time before he left. Like yesterday Stirrup street was bustling with busy ponyvillians( Couldn’t decide if it had an E or an A. Went with A so it looks like pony villians. Anyway.) peddling their wares. Today the street was lacking an applecart “ must be Applejacks day off” Snow said with a shrug. The library wasn’t as far as Snow had thought about a 5 minute fly above the sort of main sort of shops in Ponyville.
Snow landed just outside the library and knocked on the front door, there was no reply from inside “hello?” Snow said gently nudging the door open with his nose. The library was dark he kept walking until he reached the centre of the room as the lights flicked on and Applejack and Twilight and several other ponies unknown to him jumped out from behind tables that had all sorts of treats on them and yelled “Surprise!” in unison. At the same time he was blasted with a 5 foot long cannon that shot confetti the blast sent him rolling into one of the bookshelves.
“Hi there” Snow said rather sarcastically

“Sorry darl” Applejack said “this here party was Pinkie pies idea she throws parties for every new pony.” Applejack continued and gestured towards the pink earth pony standing behind the cannon.
“Hey didn’t I see you at that bakery yesterday?” Snow said his head still spinning slightly from the impact but he could make out the fuzzy pink mane and coat and the over exuberance.
“Yeah you were the silly billy buying sugar from the bakery.” Pinkie said with a large smile
“Oh yeah.” Snow pushed himself up and stumbled around on his back hooves for a sec before returning to all fours and looking around the room. “Okay so I recognise you Twilight, and you Applejack, and misses confetti cannon over there, but who are the rest of your friends. I recognise them but very vaguely. Hmmm” Snow scratched his chin with one of his front hooves. “Ah now I remember.” Snow said pointing at Rainbowdash “You were one of the competitors in the best young flyers contest in Cloudsdale.” He announced triumphantly

“Oh wow someone who actually recognises me.” Rainbowdash said a touch of pride in her voice.
“I wasn’t too interested in the whole contest but my dad made me come along. But it wasn’t all bad I suppose.”
“The rest of you, nope. Maybe from somewhere it’ll come to me later” Snow said scratching a hoof across the back of his head. Snows face had a look of awkwardness like last time Applejack and Twilight talked to him. Applejack nudged rainbowdash and gave her a look and to the others to introduce themselves. They all came around and shook hooves with the newcomer. First Rainbowdash. “Hey their names Rainbowdash we should talk flying later.”
“Okay” Snow said looking awkward again. Next was Rarity she came around and very delicately shook his hoof. “It’s nice to meet you my names Rarity.” The white unicorn said accentuating the Rs in here name.
“Oh dear” Rarity said
“What?” Snow replied
“Your coat you’ve got grazes everywhere.”
“Oh yeah that. Ice skating, things happen.” Snow said very nonchalantly
“Oh no dear we can’t have this” said Rarity trying to tend to the very small wounds.
“Come on Rarity move it along.” Applejack said shoving her out of the way.
The next one to come up was just as timid as and even shier than Snow. Fluttershy came up shook his hoof and whispered

her name very quietly “I’m Fluttershy”
“I’m sorry could you please repeat that” Snow said in a voice almost as quiet as Fluttershys
“I’m Fluttershy.” She said a bit louder.
“Hey names Snow Star” Snow said as Fluttershys hoof dropped to the ground.
“It’s time for a party.” Pinkie pie said from somewhere behind Fluttershy popping some party poppers and turning on some loud portable speakers. As everypony started dancing Snow walked over to a small chair next to the food table and sat down he started nibbling on bits and pieces of food sitting by himself. After a while Pinkie noticed the rather glum looking Snow sitting by himself she walked over “what’s wrong Snow?”
“Oh nothing you keep having fun.” Snow said waving a hoof.
“No tell me.” Pinkie persisted.

“I’ve never been to a party in my life.” Snow said with a shrug. “Nobody really invited me to their parties, never danced before. Not that I didn’t have birthday parties I’ve just never been to a party like this one actually thrown for me. Only parties have been birthday parties which I usually did what I’m doing now as I didn’t feel welcome. ”
“Well it’s different now come on I’ll help you.” Pinkie pie said pulling Snow out of his seat and to the dance floor. When they reached the dance floor Snow just stood there frozen and looking awkward as the other 5 ponies danced around him. “ Come on Snow just go with the music. Just think if it as ice skating go with it.”
“Ok that’s easy enough.” Snow said looking down at his hooves. “Just go with it” he reassured himself. Snow began to slowly do some spins he found familiar when he ice skated and went from there and slowly he got into the swing of things and began to genuinely enjoy and for the first time in years a real smile spread across his face.
“There you go” Twilight said to him.
And for the first time in years he actually laughed. ‘Actual friends’ Snow thought to himself. ‘ And for the first time in years that mask he’d worn pretending to be someone else had slipped somewhat revealing the true Snow.