• Published 10th Jan 2014
  • 2,612 Views, 134 Comments

Masters of Magic: The Gathering - Mod On Death



Magic: The Gathering has become popular at the Ponyville Schoolhouse. Everypony now has a deck and are now playing this new game. However, one pony destroys all in her path, with skills beyond compare. Can anypony defeat this player?

  • ...
1
 134
 2,612

Shuffling Fates

Spike had gone home with Shining Armor and Rarity to create a fine deck that would be able to defeat Diamond Tiara. They decided to look at each of their decks and figure out which combination would eventually work against her and her instant win decks. The actual structure of the deck was left up to debate however.

"I say we construct a deck that builds up after we take out her instant-win combinations," Shining Armor suggested.

"That would only work if we could manage to get that deck built before she took us down in the first turn," replied Rarity. "What we need is something as swift as her deck."

"If we do that we also run the risk of being countered and destroyed," explained Shining Armor. "We should figure out how to repel her main combos and then build a way to win that no other quick combo could undo."

"Look, we could argue forever about what cards to include, but I think we should all come to the same conclusion on one thing though," Spike told the two of them.

"What?" they asked.

"We need four Force of Will cards for this deck." The two agreed to this sentiment. Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle watched the two get their deck ready, Sweetie Belle noticing that Scootaloo was in a corner with Spike's box of other cards. She went over to her friend, trying to see what she was up to.

"Hey, Scootaloo. What're you doing?"

"Trying to build a good deck to go up against Diamond Tiara," she replied.

"Really? I thought the entire purpose of this thing was to have Spike go up against her so we wouldn't have to go and lose against her again."

"Sweetie Belle, listen." Scootaloo's attitude took a turn. "I've already lost against her twice now, one of those times with the two of you helping me out. I can't just let her win like this and expect Spike to win for us. I need to prepare to face her myself if needed. I mean, if we haven't been learning from these duels, then what the hay have we been doing here?" She then turned back to shuffle through the cards, laying them out on her table. Sweetie Belle decided to leave her to her work, deciding that she was essentially going to be sitting around for the next several hours watching them work with cards.

"Hey, you guys mind if I head out?" she asked them.

"Sure. We'll show you what we built later on," Spike said, waiting for Shining Armor to pick which of the two artifacts he should consider putting in there.

Sweetie Belle left the library and went over to her usual spot at Sugarcube Corner she took a seat, ordered her usual, and began drinking it before seeing a familiar face.

"Hey, Silver Spoon," she greeted, motioning to the empty seat. None of the two knew why, but when they weren't part of their usual groups they could actually hang out together in peace. Silver Spoon sat down on the empty seat and ordered her own usual.

"So, I assume you're here alone since the rest of your friends are busy doing something with Magic, correct?" she asked.

"Yeah. They're trying to build a new deck to finally face Diamond Tiara," Sweetie Belle explained. "You won't tell her, will you?"

"Nah. And besides, it's not like just telling me that they're building a deck will reveal much. Seems like a bunch of ponies have been really into it lately, huh?"

"Yeah. I think I'd play it more if those two weren't so serious about it though. I mean, most of their matches they treat as if the fate of the world depends on them winning, you know?"

"That's true," agreed Silver Spoon. "Thing is, winning is always something fun, even if that means making the game end really fast. After all, there's nothing like beating somepony before the game really begins, you know?"

"Not really. Haven't won a match like that before. What about you?"

"Not always a fan, but I see why ponies go for that. Winning isn't everything, but it's the vast majority." Silver Spoon took a drink from her milkshake while Sweetie Belle thought this over. She remembered how Scootaloo had become obsessed with defeating DT, along with Spike and the rest. To them, victory was all they could accept.

"To be honest, I just wish some ponies would just have more fun with it, you know? Scootaloo's going bananas over beating her and it doesn't seem like it'll end well for her if she loses."

"Well, place yourself in Scootaloo's hooves," told Silver Spoon. "Most of the time she doesn't really have much to her name, so beating DT at something will at least give her some pride." Sweetie Belle thought about how Scootaloo was acting and remembered that she hadn't won much in life. She was a pegasus that couldn't fly, a pony without a cutie mark, and now a player without a victory. If she could change one of those things she was going to use all her might to do so.

"You know what? You're right. I should at least help them out with their cards. Maybe I have several ideas that might just work. Thanks, SS," Sweetie Belle said, leaving her table. She went back to the library, thinking up ways she could help her friends win. When she got back, she was surprised to find that both of them had completed their decks.

"Yeah. Turns out that working together made it go faster for everypony," Shining Armor explained. "Now all we have to do is wait for tomorrow and try it out on her."

"Don't worry guys. I'll do my very best," Spike promised.

"And even if that's not enough, I'll be there to help out," added Scootaloo, her new deck in a pouch.

"Alright, dears. I believe we should declare a victory cry on the count of three," Rarity declared. "You ready?"

"Ready!" they all said.

"One..two...three!" When she finished, the cry was a jumbled mash of different victory cries. Each one, however, would motivate each other during tomorrow's duel against Diamond Tiara.