• Published 2nd Jan 2014
  • 508 Views, 5 Comments

My Little Devil: Fruits are Magic - UnorthodoxMethods



The adventures of Pinkie D. Pie as she discovers the meaning of devil fruits and journeys across Equestria.

  • ...
 5
 508

Start of Something Great

“All right, girls, wake up! We've got a big day of work ahead of us.” An aging brown stallion said. The stallion wore a tie and a bowler hat over his mane.

“Yes, father.” Two fillies replied in unison, rising and getting out of their beds. As they filed out, their father noticed that one of his daughters was missing. He walked over to the third bed with a brow raised.

“Pinkamena, wake up. You know we have work to do.” He said, gently shaking her.

“Five more minutes, father.” The pink filly mumbled.

Her father sighed. “I’m afraid I can’t allow that. I need you and your sisters to move all the rocks to the north field by midday.”

The pink filly immediately rose after hearing that. “Why does it have to be the north field?”

“The rotation from field to field every few weeks help keeps the soil full of nutrients, which allows for better soil to grow crops with.” Her father explained.

“Except we don’t grow any crops.” Pinkamena replied as she got out of bed and walked to the kitchen. She picked up an apple to eat and took a bite, before looking up and seeing her mother looking at her.

Pinkamena swallowed and nodded in her mother’s direction. “Yes, mother?”

“I was wondering when you would join us, Pinkamena. Anyway, could you be a dear and head to the market? I need some produce for tonight’s dinner.”

“What kind of produce do you need, mother?” Pinkamena asked.

“It would be nice to have some lettuce or tomatoes. A few apples might be good too.”

“Alright mother, I'll make a trip to the market, but father needs me and the sisters to move the rocks to the north field."

Her mother looked at her over her glasses. “Then you’d best hurry if you want to be eating any more apples today.”

Pinkamena nodded solemnly and devoured the rest of her apple. She deposited the core in a nearby wastebasket, and quickly trotted outside to join her sisters.

A few hours later, Pinkamena was walking throughout the marketplace, a saddlebag on her back which contained a bag with a bunch of bits inside it. Seeing a table that had several fruits on it, she decided to stop there.

“Afternoon.” The mare behind the table said automatically.

“Good afternoon, ma’am. I was wondering if you have any lettuce, tomatoes and apples.”

The mare gestured to what was on the table. “What ya see is what ya get, kid.”

“Oh, alright.” The foal replied, taking two heads of lettuce and about five apples.

“That’ll be about fifteen bits, kid.”

Pinkamena took out her bag and dropped the amount on the table. She then placed the bag and the produce in her saddlebag, knocking a round looking object off the table onto the ground.

The mare was quick to pick it up off the ground. “Hey, watch it! You break it, you buy it!”

As Pinkamena gazed at the object, she gave a look of confusion. “What exactly is that?”

Now it was the mare’s turn to look confused. “I’m not entirely sure. I think it’s some type of fruit or something, but it doesn’t look too edible.”

The “fruit” was violet in color and spherical in shape, with a remarkably curly stem. It was also covered with swirls all over it.

“How much does it cost?” the pink filly inquired.

This surprised the mare. “You’d be willing to eat this?”

“Yes. You said it was a fruit, so I’ll eat it. So how much is it?” she repeated.

The mare stroked her chin in thought while grinning to herself. “Ya know kid; I haven’t been able to sell this fruit, since so many people think it’s cursed or something. So I’ll strike ya a deal. I’ll let you have this fruit, but only if you eat it right now.” The mare then held the fruit out for Pinkie to take.

Pinkie eyed the fruit warily, but took it from the mare all the same. She stared for a few minutes, enticing a ‘get on with it!’ from the mare.

“Sure. Here goes…” Pinkamena took a bite out of the fruit, cringing at the taste and causing the mare to laugh. Resisting the urge to vomit, she steeled herself and consumed the rest of it.

The mare had finally stopped laughing at this point. “So, how was it?”

“It tasted awful.”

The mare chuckled. “That figures. Do you feel any different?”

Pinkamena moved each of her legs a little and walked in place for a bit. “Not really.”

“It’s probably cause it all went to ya hair!” the mare joked, handing Pinkamena a mirror. The pink foal was shocked to see her normally straight mane had somehow gotten poofy and frizzy.

“Oh no! Mother and Father aren’t going to be happy about this…” Pinkamena exclaimed. Looking up at the sky, she noticed the sun’s position for the first time in a while. “I need to get home! Thanks for the produce ma’am!” The pink filly yelled over her shoulder as she ran home.


The sun was setting when Pinkamena finally made it home. She ran inside her home as quickly as she could, seeing her family gathered around the dinner table already, enjoying a meal. Her mother frowned as she entered, while her father raised an eyebrow and her sisters looked relieved.

She took off her saddlebags, placing them in the middle of the table. “You all started dinner without me?”

Her father gave her a questioning look. “Pinkamena, where have you been?” He then did a double take. “Also, what happened to your hair?”

The filly looked confused. “I was at the market buying produce for tonight’s dinner.”

“That doesn’t answer the question, Pinkamena. I sent you there around noon, but you just returned a few minutes ago, when the sun has nearly set.” Her mother butted in.

“Cloudy, we agreed I would handle this.” Her father replied.

Cloudy Quartz gave him a small glare, but nodded all the same. “Alright, Igneous.”

Igneous Rock turned back to his daughter. “You mother raises a valid point, dear. You returned much later than expected. What were you doing during the time that expired?”

Pinkamena looked at her father with pleading eyes. “Father, I simply went to the market, bought some produce, and ate a strange fruit that the vendor offered me.” She replied, making sure to say the last part quietly.

Her father’s ears pricked at the words ‘strange fruit’. “Wait, a strange fruit? What exactly do you mean?”

Pinkamena held her hooves about a foot apart. “It was about this big and had a lot of swirls on it. The vendor who gave it to me said it may have been cursed, which may be true due to how horrible it tasted.”

Her mother interrupted her, “Pinkamena Diane Pie, what have I and your father said about taking things from strangers?! You could be poisoned for all we know!” She then turned to her husband, who seemed to be deep in thought. “Igneous?”

The single stallion left his trance and firmly said, “I need to send a letter to your mother.”


About a week later, Pinkamena woke up to the sound of multiple adults talking. She walked into the kitchen to see her parents, a white pegasus filly with a blonde mane who looked bored, and an elderly mare whose fur and mane were almost as pink as her own.

“Granny Pie?” she asked, rubbing some of the sleep out of her eyes.

The senior smiled and nodded in appreciation as Pinkamena looked at the pegasus. “Who is this?”

“Pinkie, meet your cousin, Surprise.” She looked at the pegasus, but she only blew a strand of her mane out of her face, saying nothing.

Her father gave Granny Pie an irritated look. “Now Granny, we've been over this. Her name is Pinkamena.”

The elder mare laughed at this. “Sure, son-in-law, I’ll let my youngest granddaughter keep a name that scares ponies. Not while she’s at my rock farm.”

Igneous gave her an incredulous look. “What’s wrong with the name Pinkamena?”

“That’s the name I’d expect a crazed female guard to have. Who came up with it, anyway?”

“Cloudy Quartz, your daughter.”

Granny Pie simply stared at him. “Are you sure?”

Igneous glared at her. “Of course I’m sure! What kind of father doesn’t know who named his daughter?”

Pinkie ignored the adults’ argument and looked at her parents quizzically. “Mother, father, what does she mean?”

“We think that given recent events, you should spend some time with your grandmother. It’s been years since you were at her farm anyway.” Cloudy explained.

This did little to convince Pinkie. “But, why?”

“You see, Pinkamena-” her father began, only to get interrupted by Granny Pie.

“Listen, dear. Your parents informed me of you eating a strange fruit. I don’t know much, but it sounds an awful lot like a devil fruit to me.”

“Devil Fruit?”

The elder mare nodded. “Yes. While not much is known about devil fruits, it is known that past devil fruit users were persecuted by normal ponies.”

Pinkie looked down at her fore hooves in thought. “So you think that I ate a devil fruit, and you want me to go to your farm for protection?”

“I want you to develop your powers in a safe environment, so that you will be able to go into the world and stay safe.”

“This is why you’re going to be spending time at your grandmother’s rock farm with your cousin.” Igneous added.

Pinkie turned to look at Surprise, who finally looked back at her. The filly regarded her a moment, before smirking wickedly at her. This put her in a state of uneasiness.

“So Pinkie, I expect you to be packed and ready to go in about ten minutes. We have to get back to my farm before dusk.”

This surprised the filly. “Wait, I don’t have a choice in the matter?”

Granny Pie gave her granddaughter a grim look. “Dear, past devil fruit users have been killed by the Royal Guard simply for existing. I was called by your parents to keep you alive, and I will not fail.”

Pinkie nodded sadly and went back to the room she shared with her sisters. It took her only seven minutes to pack her saddlebags with her belongings, as she didn’t have many things she called her own anyway. She walked back into the kitchen to find Granny Pie and Surprise not there, but her parents and sisters were present.

Her father did not speak, and her sisters simply gave her teary eyed looks. They then both rushed towards her and hugged her.

“Bye, Pinkie.” Limestone choked out.

“Have a safe trip.” Marble added.

The two stepped back and Cloudy Quartz stepped up, holding what looked like an article of clothing.

“Pinkie, this is a vest that I made for you. I know most ponies only wear clothes half the time anyway, but I thought it would be a nice memento to remind you of home.”

Pinkie took the vest from her mother and held it close to her chest, tears in her eyes now. She quickly hugged her mother, who hugged her back in response.

“Thank you, mother. I’ll treasure it.”

Pinkie took the time to put the vest on, but heard her grandmother yell as she was putting her saddlebags back on, “Pinkie, we have to leave now!”

Pinkie gave her family one last look, before running outside to join her grandmother and cousin.

Author's Note:

It's been a while since i wrote anything. Oh well. I probably need an editor, so if anyone has time or wants the job, I'll gladly accept help.