• Published 2nd Jan 2014
  • 1,167 Views, 20 Comments

The Powers That Be - Anthri



The Mane Six must save Equestria from a war the gods started and learn the truth of why.

  • ...
9
 20
 1,167

The Black Throne

My curiosity started when the world seemed to have come to an end. But my amusement ended with my arrest. I was framed for something that wasn't my design but I happen to be pushing it forward. Wrongly accused when the mastermind had been controlling the very worlds events itself throughout all of history.

I was brought to an old castle and was confined to its prison tower deep in the dreaded Everfree forest when Canterlot found out that I could not die. They tried execution but it did not work even though I appear to be just a normal unicorn. Trying to keep me from the rest of the world, they hoped to keep me trapped for the rest of time. Day after day it was the same solitude and I was powerless to escape from it.

While I slept, the whole prison shook violently causing the door of my prison cell to fall off its hinges. Strangely it was the loud clang that woke me, so I got up and walked out onto the balcony. The stairs had long been destroyed. The sunlight shown down on me as I looked around. Underneath my prison, the world was a dark swirling abyss of mystery. A black fog that had not been there before had engulfed the rest of the castle as my tower hung over it all. I was uncertain, but then dove into it. - Fhillip

Along time ago but not to long, I was appointed ambassador of Equestrian Interest by Princess Celestia and was sent to the Griffon Kingdom to help lower tension between our two countries. Well, needless to say I was successful and her majesty Princess Celestia being there with me, witnessed my incredible negotiational skills. As a result of my success, our nations were allowed to mix. Years later, my success was visually pleasing. The ponies and griffons were going to school together and were effectively part of each others lives. This accomplishment made me a hero to many and afterwards the princess knighted me, Sir Fhillip Buster.
Simply put, Fhil, Fhillip or Mr. Buster, depending on the present company I'm in.

You see, as a filly I often had the talent for resolving issues between conflicting parties. In other words, I'm a natural peace keeper. It was no surprise to anypony when I got my olive branch cutie mark. My parents often had arguments that I would have to step in between. They are important figures in Canterlot society and because of this, her majesty Princess Celestia noticed my talent once during a visit to the royal castle. The princess decided that I would pursue foreign relations and I would be able to have the best political teachers. At first I refused her offer and she looked at me with those kind magenta eyes. "You would see the world and all it's wonders." she told me. We took a walk in the Canterlot garden and she told me all about the different animals and distant lands. She convinced me that I would have a rewarding future.

Well sometime after Princess Cadance was married, (we remember that day mostly for the changelings attempt to kill us all), Celestia had learned of a plant that grew deep inside the caves of the Changelings home, Chanolis. This plant along with the species help, grew to cure certain illnesses that were incurable with our current medicines and magic. The problem being that it is Changeling exclusive. It was a challenge to ally with them because of our violent past and more importantly since we knew very little of them in general. Celestia recalled me from the Griffon Kingdom and needed me to go to Chanjahaart, Capitol city of Chanolis, to speak to their queen, the very monster that tried to invade the royal city of Canterlot.

Luna went with me and I believe it is because Celestia knew Queen Chrysalis would hate staring at her during these talks and would deny our plan before we even told her everything or anything. It is important to remember that the queen had altercations with three of the four princesses. Luna is the exclusion and is more capable of relating to the queen, being dark and vengeful. That was a good call on Celestia's part.

Now, I'm good, I admit that but when it comes to something I know nothing about in this profession, I get very frustrated. I have this colt I trust to get me through those small matters. My aid Mr. Sharbo, researches the finer points of mannerisms when it comes to dealing with different cultures. I realize that this is not really a small thing but honestly, I only want to put up with so much.

Mr. Sharbo gave me a necklace made of stuffed parasprites and tells me that this is a very acceptable gift to start negotiations with the half pony, half insectoid queen. These parasprites are known for eating non-stop and become a plague wherever they go. Looking at the necklace, I have never in my life seen something this bizarre and cruel but I wondered if it could be a fashion statement in Chanolis. Believing I were prepared, Luna and I are brought into the throne room and that's when the trouble starts. A day I regret indeed...

-------------------------------------

Luna and Fhillip made their way towards the dark throne while Chrysalis watched with interest as the group approached her. The castle walls were draped with darkness, darkness with eyes. It meant that the changeling soldiers had completely surrounded them clinging to the walls and shadows of the underground throne room.

Princess Luna started the talks intending to advance them into the next stage of negotiations.
"Greetings your majesty! I am Princess Luna of Equestria and my associate here is Sir Fhillip Buster, our ambassador. We have come to talk about peace between our countries if you will allow us this pleasure."

Luna and Fhillip both feeling very nervous with only a small compliment of guard accompanying them, cast a glance at each other as Chrysalis rubbed her chin with a hoof while she stared at Luna.
"Where is Celestia? To afraid to show herself in front of me?" Chrysalis smiled.

Luna scoffed at this but kept her cool, "No. She feels that it is best that I handle these proceedings and it would make the atmosphere more progressive.”

"Fine." Chrysalis said with a frown waving a hoof in a forward motion that meant to continue. Fhillip took a small step towards the queen. Looking into Fhillip's green eyes, Chrysalis noticed that they went well with his brown hair. She also admired the way he looked so handsome and professional in his suit.

"Your highness, first we bring a gift of peace to help ease us into these talks. We appreciate your time and that this discussion will help establish the best Equestrian-Chanolis relationship for future generations to come." Fhillip pulled out the necklace from his satchel and showed it to Chrysalis.

Her admiration for the appearance of this tan unicorn fell short when her eyes focused on what he was holding. "What is that?" she said eyeing it.

Fhillip didn't expect that response from her but he would explain just in case she secretly had poor eyesight. "Parasprites made into a necklace your majesty. I understand that this is a welcomed accessory among changelings." Fhil looked back into the queens eyes trying to find acceptance.

Chrysalis started to frown. "Real Parasprites?"

'Yes...?' Fhil said as his confidence waned.

At that moment every changeling in the room looked angry. The queen rose really fast out of her throne and started in on her guest. "You understood wrong and it seems that this is a poorly planned attempt to piss me off!" Chrysalis yelled baring her teeth.

No words came from Fhillip, only beads of sweat as his eyes looked at his companion. Luna nodded back to him and spoke up. "We don't understand, we thought this would please you?"

After hearing this, Chrysalis put a hoof to her forehead. "Parasprites are distant cousins to our kind and this monstrosity is beyond insulting!” Chrysalis was furious, standing on the edge of her throne. The changeling guard seemed to be ready pounce as changeling and pony were about to go down fighting.

"Wait!" Fhillip sputtered as he tried to find the words to calm the situation. "This was my mistake! I am responsible for this! Had I studied more I would have known better! My intentions were good, I swear!"

Chrysalis wasn't amused. "You make it sound like we weren't good enough to take the time to learn about, you incompetent, lazy, fool!”

Fhillip could have sworn he saw bits of tears in her eyes which surprised him. The queen made good points and making his laziness apparent overwhelmed both of them emotionally it seemed.

Luna raised her voice even higher. "We know hardly anything about your species let alone enough on how to please you! We apologize for the misunderstanding and any insult this may have caused but we refuse to stand here and let you degrade us! Calm thyself down!"

Chrysalis was taken by surprise at the boldness. She was speechless for the moment but then Fhillip waved his hoof, "It's okay Princess, the queen has a right to be angry."

"Yes and you should leave!” The changeling queen demanded.

Luna's eyes opened wide "But!"

"LEAVE!"

With that, the ponies bowed, turned around and walked out...

------------------------------------------------

When we got home back to Canterlot, Luna explained the situation to her older sister Celestia and disappointment was an understatement. Not only the Princesses and the politicians, everyone knew of my failure. As soon as my political enemies who were gunning for my job and pay found out about my massive screw up, they spread it like wildfire through town. I was called lazy and heartless, that I had lost my touch. I never put blame on my aid because it was my fault. I knew I had got a lazy in my fame and I never cared until now. Luna told me that even though I had failed, they would still try to reach the queen with their offer. I'm sure they will work it out and all my problems will be over.

They suspended me without pay for what seemed like an endless amount of time. I tried to get another job to help cover some of those higher expenses but my reputation in town preceeded me. No one wanted that kind of attention. Hell, I even went to Donut Joe's to see if I could help bake donuts. "Nothing against you" Joe said, "but I cant risk my sales going down because ponies think you're the reason why people aren't getting better."

That's right, now people can't get that herb they need to cure that illness we can't and it's my fault.

It got to a point where we had enough in our savings to live comfortably for the next three months and then things after that would be critical. Desperation was at an all time high and my wife, my poor Lillian had to watch me go through this. We have no kids yet but it is in the forseeable future, or it was. She was always supporting me and tried to make me feel better about the mistakes I've made, not by deterring blame but coming up with ways that I can fix this within my control.

Not that anyone would ever forgive me.

Author's Note:

Hello everyone, glad you are here to read my story that I have worked on for a year. This was originally meant to be a comic series but due to time restraints, became a fan-fic. That's okay though because it is still a story worth reading! So I hope you all continue to read and let me know what you think!