• Published 27th Dec 2013
  • 1,622 Views, 35 Comments

Harmony Undone: The Rise of Order - Zodiacspear



The World of Equestria is a world of balance and harmony, when the balance is tipped in one direction the opposing element swells.

  • ...
4
 35
 1,622

Chapter Six

The crickets had taken up their song, adding to it, the chorus of the nighttime forest. Having left the dry grassy plains, Twilight and the others settled around a campfire in the middle of the woods. Moonlight shone through branches to illuminate the forest around them. Lifting her head to enjoy a cool breeze, she sighed quietly as her friends chatted.

“I wonder how Sweetie Belle is doing?” Rarity pondered aloud, her styled mane swaying slightly in the breeze. “Goodness knows that she and the girls can find their way into no small amount of trouble when they get another of their crazy ideas for cutie marks.”

“Oh, the girls are not all that bad,” Fluttershy said as she looked off into the surrounding trees, her ears turning on her skull as she listened. “True they can get into trouble, but they mean well.”

“You should have seen Sugar Cube Corner after they tried to get their cutie marks as bakers,” Pinkie Pie said as she laid on her back, bicycling her back legs in the air. “It was one doozy of a mess, a delicious mess, but still a mess.”

“Or when they tried their hooves at being librarians,” Spike muttered, his arms crossed. “I still have nightmares.”

A cringe ran down Twilight’s frame as suppressed memories of disorganized bookshelves, scattered notes, and books on fire threatened to reemerge.

“The girls’ll find their way, I don’t doubt ’em,” Applejack said as she chewed on a pear. “I just hope they don’t hurt themselves trying all the crazy things they do.”

Rainbow Dash nodded, glancing around the camp before huffing. “All this talk of home is depressing; we should talk about something that isn’t such a downer.”

“Oh, oh, me! I have an idea!” Pinkie’s hoof shot into the air, and she waved it around like a party favor.

“What’re you thinking, Pinkie?” Rainbow asked.

“A song,” she said cheerily, a banjo already in hoof to play.

Applejack blinked, her wide eyes staring at the banjo. “Where did you get that?”

“I had it with me the whole time,” the pink mare said, shrugging. She strummed at the banjo before breaking out into a fast paced, folksy song.

“Oh we’re sitting around the campfire here tonight.

The night is all around, it’s such a fright.

We’re sitting around the campfire

Telling tales of walking trails.

We’re sitting around the campfire here tonight.

Oh the marshmallows are a roastin’, they’re so yum.

Eating melted s'mores is so much fun

We’re sitting around the campfire

Eating s'mores and fighting off the snores

We’re sitting around the campfire here tonight.

Oh I’m sitting at the campfire with my friends

With no one else, the day I’d rather spend

We’re sitting here together

Cause together is so much better

We’re sitting around the campfire here tonight.

As Pinkie sang, she turned a wide smile to the others. “Come on, everypony, let’s sing along!”

Twilight smiled as her friends and even a few of the royal guards took up the song as Pinkie began again. Singing along with them, it didn’t take long for the song and laughter to replace the quiet and gloom. Frowns and distant expressions replaced by smiles and good cheer.

After the song reached its climax, and the laughter dying down, Twilight looked around the camp—her brow furrowing. “Where is Princess Luna? I didn't hear her singing,” she asked.

Rainbow Dash shrugged as she reclined on her tree branch nearby. “She went to have a look around, guess she was feeling bored.”

Twilight nodded before turning a curious look at Fluttershy. The yellow pegasus, who a moment ago was smiling and singing along with everyone else, was now quiet and looking off into the forest with a deep frown.

“Fluttershy?”

Fluttershy looked back at her, a worried look in her eyes. “I… There's something wrong," she whispered before rising up and walking from the camp.

Twilight's brow furrowed as her friend's expression. Getting to her hooves, she followed after her. "What do you mean 'wrong?’”

The pegasus's gaze darted around the woods as they left the camp behind, her ears turning. “It's quiet.”

A faint smirk worked its way across Twilight's muzzle even as she looked around the darkened woods. “Well after a Pinkie Pie song, that’s not really a surprise."

Fluttershy shook her head. “It’s not that, the woods are quiet. I don’t hear any of the woodland creatures around us. I-It’s… almost like they’re afraid.”

Twilight's ears perked up and swiveled around to listen, a frown spreading across her face. Fluttershy was right; the woods around them were eerily quiet. There were no sounds of owls, insects, or other creatures of the night. With it being midsummer, the sounds of nature should have almost been deafening.

“What could—” she began before both jumped as a bush rustled nearby.

Fluttershy inched closer—her legs shaking—and pushed the leaves aside to find a small raccoon huddled underneath, the animal shaking as it watched them with fear-filled eyes.

“Oh, you poor thing,” Fluttershy said, her fear vanishing as knelt to sooth the animal. “It's all right, nothing is going to get you, I promise.”

The raccoon made no movement, little chittering sounds escaping it.

“What’s got it scared so badly?” Twilight asked, a small timbre of worry making its way into her tone. The fur along her spine started to rise as she felt a chill run down her back.

“I don’t know,” Fluttershy said, looking at her over her shoulder at her before turning her attention back to the raccoon. “Um, Mr. Raccoon, can you tell me what’s scaring you and all your friends? We really need to know.”

When Fluttershy tried to reach out to pet the raccoon, it bolted into the shrubs, startling the pegasus into the air.

“What in the—” Twilight began.

“Twilight!”

The two whirled at Spike’s scream and stood in shock as a large black puff of smoke appeared in front of them. Stepping from the cloud, was a vaguely pony shaped creature. Its only features were its perfectly round, white eyes and the armor it wore. The armor looked like darkened version of the Equestrian Armor used by the guard ponies. Spreading its front legs wide, it lowered its head to charge.

“What is that?!” Fluttershy screamed.

“Don’t know!” Twilight yelled, jumping aside as the creature lunged for them.

-0-

Not far from the camp, warm winds blew through Princess Luna's feathered wings—holding her aloft as the trees whooshed past below. Her moon shone in the sky above, bathing the entire forest in a soothing pale light. A smile pulled at her lips as she basked in the sensation of flying under the moonlight. Being the princess of both the moon and the night, she reveled in watching over her ponies as they slept. Frequently slipping into the dreams of the ponies under her care, she smiled as memories of those she helped with nightmares returned. Busy as she could be, it didn’t mean she never took time for herself, like enjoying a peaceful flight during the quiet of the night.

Tonight was an excellent night for flying, she concluded. Such nights were perfect to fly alone and for her to be with her thoughts. Another smile spread across her face when she remembered slipping off alone often back at Canterlot—earning the chagrin of many of her guards—but when she reminded them of who she was, they remembered she was more than capable of defending herself from any would be aggressors.

Spotting a small clearing ahead, she flew low and landed within—the grass bending her her hooves. She looked around a moment before settling on her haunches to stare at the night sky. As she marveled over the starry display, her thoughts turned to the years since her return. Since then, ponies had come to accept and love her after a millennia of fearing her name. They no longer saw her as Nightmare Moon; her thanks were owed to Twilight and her friends for both her return and her acceptance with the common ponyfolk. It was a second chance, and she swore she would not let it go to waste.

Her ears twitched as the sounds of loud singing reached her. Recognizing the cheerful voice of Pinkie Pie, it was soon followed by the voices of the caravan. A soft smile graced her face, privately glad they all were enjoying themselves. Their journey had little to be cheerful of, and it promised to not get much better. As the song faded, the forest going quiet once more, Luna went back to her stargazing before another sound reached her. She frowned as she heard different sounds originate from the camp.

“What is that?” she asked herself, straining to listen.

Her eyes widened as she recognized them as shouts and cries of alarm.

“Oh no,” she breathed.

Spreading her wings to take off, she stiffened as a voice from behind her said, “And just where do you think you’re going?”

A shiver ran down her spine as she recognized that voice. A voice she had not heard in over a millennia.

-0-

As Twilight and Fluttershy fled back to the camp, she saw more of the dark ponies fighting the guards and their friends. The dark ponies didn’t make a sound as they fought, but for every buck, punch, or body blow they took, they returned in spades.

Twilight saw three of the monsters pressing Applejack and she was quick to blast two of them away. Applejack bucked the remaining one in the chin and sent the creature tumbling.

“Twilight, where’d ya—Behind you!” the earth mare yelled. Twilight was not much for physical violence, but instinct kicked in. She lashed out with a two-legged buck that caught the creature behind her between the eyes. It stumbled back but stubbornly refused to fall. She whirled and blasted it with a powerful bolt of magic. The creature didn’t try to dodge as it was struck; it disappeared in a puff of black smoke as the magic passed through it. The armor it wore clanged to the ground lifelessly.

“Thanks, Applejack,” she said between breaths.

“Don’t worry, Twi." Applejack looked at the ongoing battle and a worried frown grew. “What kinda ponies are these? Are they the Shadow Ponies Nightmare Moon tried to trick us with?”

“I don’t know," Twilight said as she blasted another creature. “They seem to be made of some black substance. I’ve never read of them before.”

“We have to do something, they just keep coming,” Applejack said before she had to meet the charge of another creature.

Twilight turned her magic to aid her friends and saw they were holding their own rather well. Rarity used her magic and her surprising martial prowess to fend off her attackers. Rainbow swooped down and out, rushing and kicking the creatures, which were unable to catch her. Pinkie had all manner of ways to defend herself, ranging from clever to amusing but all effective. Fluttershy stayed near Twilight; the pegasus hiding behind her friend. Spike used his flame breath to drive the creatures away from him and Rarity. The Royal Guard was holding their own against the creatures, even if a few of them were sporting painful wounds.

“Twilight!”

Hearing Fluttershy’s panicked outcry, she turned, expecting another creature to be charging at them. Instead she saw the armor of the first creature rise from the ground and another dark pony forming within. Once it was fully formed, it lowered its head and attacked again.

Stuttering, Twilight fell back from the assault—too shocked to properly react.

“No!” The lunging creature was tackled away by a yellow blur—Fluttershy and the creature rolling across the dirt. The dark pony got to its hooves first and raised a hoof to strike. Squeaking with fright, Fluttershy raised her forelegs above her head.

Seeing her friend in danger, Twilight growled and blasted the creature. “Leave her alone!”

The thing never saw the attack coming as the bolt shot through it, its empty armor clanging around the startled Fluttershy.

“They can rejuvenate?” she asked, helping Fluttershy back to her hooves.

“This is never going to end,” Rarity yelled, her tone carrying a frantic edge. She dodged under a punch and lashed out with a two-hit combo before finishing the creature with a round-kick.

“We’ve got this,” Rainbow called. “If they want to get their flanks kicked more than once, we’d be happy to do it.” She charged down and somersaulted, landing with both hind hooves on top of the head of a dark pony—causing the creature to disappear in a puff of smoke. “Ha! You guys are such pushovers. Can’t do anything with me in the air.”

In response, three of the creatures sprouted pairs of shadowy wings and flew into the air to meet her.

“Didn’t see that coming,” Rainbow muttered and took off, the three winged creatures in close pursuit.

She glanced behind her to see them closing in. “Gotta lose these guys,” she said to herself. She looked ahead and saw a tree branch hanging at just the right height. With a wicked grin, she sped ahead and grabbed hold of the branch, pulling it back as far as she could. Releasing it, the branch swung out, catching the closest in the face and sending its remaining companions scattering.

“Yeah!” she cheered, followed by a quick “Whoa!” as one of them darted at her, and she barely managed to dodge.

“They just don’t give up.” She took off with the last two in close pursuit.

“Rainbow, Rainbow! Over here!” she heard Pinkie cry. Rainbow could see the pink mare had her party cannon aimed at her. A wicked smile grew across her face and she swooped low over Pinkie’s head.

“Now!”

Pinkie let loose with a blast from her cannon. The blast caught both creatures unaware with a blob of cooking dough. The two flew backwards, crashing into the trees and dissipating. Their abandoned armor was left stuck in globs of the sticky dough.

“Ah yeah!” they cheered and shared a high hoof.

They returned to help their friends, but found the fighting was nearly over; the fallen armor of the creatures ceasing to rise.

“Why did they stop, Twilight?” Spike asked as he warily nudged a fallen helmet.

“I don’t know, Spike, none of this makes sense," she said after catching her breath. “They’re obviously not changelings, but they’re not anything I’ve ever heard about before.” She let a breath out in a huff. “If they’re not changelings, who sent them after us? Chrysalis never had minions like these before.”

“Any idea where they came from?” Applejack asked, kicking another helmet away.

Before Twilight could respond, Rainbow Dash spoke up.

“Where’s Princess Luna?”

It was then they heard the sounds of fighting off in the distance. Twilight could see the flashes of light, magical lights.

“Princess Luna!” she cried and the six took off towards the sounds of battle.

-0-

“It has been some time, Luna.” Tyranny stepped from the shadows behind her, his cold voice just as she remembered. “I truly hadn’t expected to see you so soon. Did Celestia send you to pursue me?”

“Why are you here, Tyranny?” she asked, turning to face the imposing stallion. Her glare hardened as she suppressed a chill that threatened to run down her spine when looking into those arrogant amber eyes once again.

His glare hardened. “I believe that our reunion has been long overdue.” A snide grin tugged at his lips. “That, and I merely wished to take the measure of Equestria’s lesser ruler.”

Her eyes narrowed, but she wouldn't allow him to bait her. “What have you done with the ponies of the outpost? What did you do to them?”

“I merely recruited them to further my designs," he said, a sardonic smirk on his face. “They make the most excellent and loyal minions.” He jerked his chin in the direction the shouts of combat were heard. “As your caravan has found.”

She scowled at him and spread her forelegs in a battle stance. “What is your ploy, Tyranny?”

“That is enough questions, my dear,” he said, setting aside his scepter and taking his own wide-legged battle stance. “Time to take your measure. Defend yourself. If you can.”

With a quick battle cry, the Princess of the Moon and the Spirit of Order charged each other—the dirt churning under hoof. The two butted heads, Luna’s horn leaving a scratch on his forehead. The two tangled a moment before Luna lashed out with her front hooves, causing Tyranny to block with his own. Luna spun around, quick as moonlight and bucked. Luna smiled to herself as the kick sent the stallion tumbling.

Rolling back onto his hooves, he sneered at her. “Impressive.” He dashed back in, lashing out with measured jabs. Luna, the quicker of the two, dodged them but was forced to hop back to avoid a sweeping back hoof blow.

Tyranny came back in, hooves lashing out in quick punches, forcing Luna dodge or block them. With each hit, however, she felt their sting grow. Having trained alongside the Royal Guards, Luna knew how to take a punch, however, even she had to admit none of them had hit near as hard as Tyranny.

Her eyes widened as Tyranny brought back his foreleg for a stronger punch and sidestepped the heavy blow. Getting in close, she brought a knee up to his midsection, launching the stallion away again. Before she could allow him to come back at her, she took to the sky—knowing her wings gave her an advantage over him.

Grunting, he turned an annoyed glare as she hovered above. “Afraid to use your full potential against me, Luna?”

She snorted and gave her head a toss, her mane settling out of her eyes. “It is you who has weakened, Tyranny. That body is not your own! Let the one you hold prisoner go! Now!”

A sneer spread across his face. “I’m afraid there is no choice in this matter. Just as you and your sister have no chance of stopping what will happen.” Holding out his foreleg, his scepter vanished from where he placed it only to have it appear in his hoof.

“What the—” Luna started before he hurled it at her like a spear. Flapping her wings to clear the weapon, she looked down in time to see Tyranny leap. A surprised gasp escaped her as he leaped well into the air for her—higher and with more force than she expected. Grunting from the hit, she gasped again as he grabbed her by a back leg and hurled her back at the ground.

She righted herself moments before she could crash into soil and flipped to land on her hooves. Looking up, her eyes widened as she saw him descending—his scepter in hoof again—and swinging for her head.

Her horn glowed and a barrier surrounded her just in time for the scepter to send sparks flying across its surface. “You cannot beat me, Tyranny, you will surrender!” she shouted as he hammered at her barrier.

An arrogant snort blew past his nose as he pivoted and swung the scepter in an upward arc. Luna felt her barrier shake and threaten to give under the powerful strike and, as he brought his scepter back for another swing, she knew he would continue until her barrier failed.

Thinking quickly, her horned glowed again, engulfing the area in a bright light. Tyranny shouted and covered his eyes—leaving all the opening she needed. Focusing her magic, she blasted him full in the side.

The stallion groaned as he hit the ground. Seeing her opening, Luna flapped her wings and dashed after him. Tackling the stallion before he could get back to his hooves, she pinned his forelegs to the ground. As he struggled, she glared down at him—pressing down harder on his legs. “I said release the one you hold prisoner!”

Glaring right back at her, she could see the seething determination in his cold gaze. “You’re as a much a fool now as you always have been.” Gritting his teeth, he growled. “You will kneel before me and beg for my mercy.”

Her eyes widened as she felt him push back against her. Managing to lift her even as she tried to keep him pinned. “How—” Her wings gave a flap and she hopped above him as his scepter appeared back in hoof—clearing the swipe he had aimed at her.

Keeping to the sky, she said, “What have you done? No earthpony is strong enough to throw me.”

Getting back to his hooves, he dusted his coat clean of the leaves and twigs. “A matter of necessity.” He turned to glare at her again. “I was forced to spend months augmenting this body’s natural abilities with what little of my power I could harness.” He held up a hoof to peer at it. “Thus far, the results have been disappointing.”

Luna smirked to herself. 'Just like before, he can’t help but talk.' Speaking out loud, she said, “You realize you have lost this fight, Tyranny. Even with all of your efforts, we will see your reign end before it can even begin! All of your mechanizations will lead to your downfall!”

The amused smirk that crossed his face sent a wave of bile through her gut. “My dear, you have already lost before this battle before it ever began.”

She smiled as he did exactly as she expected him too, when he launched himself after her, she flew down to meet him. Catching him off guard, she grabbed him by a foreleg and a back leg and spun him around twice before hurling him back at the ground with all her might.

As he bounced across the turf, she tackled into him and pinned him on his back again—the tip of her glowing horn aimed under his chin. “It is over,” she said, finality making its way into her tone.

He grunted, not daring to move with her horn aimed at his throat. “Impressive. You are a much better fighter than I anticipated,” he said as he looked at her.

Her eyes narrowed, a feeling of unease running down her spine at the calm demeanor he held. “Maybe it is you who has weakened, Tyranny. I do not recall you being much for a personal combat.” Her smirk made its way into her tone. “This seems a poorly planned maneuver on your part. You’re inability to adapt has again lead to your defeat.”

He sneered. “Actually, you’re exactly where I want you.”

Her eyes widened before she felt something tackle into her. Rolling, she kicked whatever it was off of her, but before she could think, another hit her, then another. The twisted and tried to get at her attackers, but more jumped in and pinned her to the ground. Holding her legs and wings down, she gritted her teeth at the pain.

Before she could bring her magic to bear, she felt Tyranny stomp on her horn. Her pained scream filling the clearing.

“You really have learned nothing in all this time, Luna,” he said as he sneered down at her. “I am disappointed. I know I taught you better.”

She gritted her teeth as she felt his hoof grind on her horn. “You were flawed then, Tyranny, just as you’re flawed now.” Try as she might, she couldn’t turn her head enough to see who was pinning her to the ground. “I had thought a Spirit of Order would know better than to ally with the chaotic nature of changelings.”

His insulting chuckle raised her hackles as he said, “Again, Luna, you’re a fool. I didn’t ally with them. They served a purpose, even as they continue to do so now.” He stepped off her horn, freeing her head. “Have a look yourself.”

“Changelings! You and your Queen do…” Her eyes widened and her jaw fell slack as she looked at what she thought were changelings holding her. She felt her heart run cold as the white-eyed, lifeless gazes of the dark ponies looked back at her. “Wh-What is this?”

“Magnificent, don’t you agree?”

She turned her outraged glare back at him as she tried again to free herself. “What have you done! Where are the changelings?”

Holding out a hoof, he motioned at the group of dark ponies. “You’re looking at them. When it became apparent that they were not going to be able to further serve me as they were, I found another use for them.” His grin widened. “As I did with those at the outpost.”

“Tyranny!” She struggled again but the dark ponies held her down. “That power corrupts! Do you not realize what you have done! Stop this now before you can no longer turn back!”

His arrogant visage slipped, replaced by an angry scowl. “You and your sister left me no choice. And do not be pretentious as to tell me what I can or cannot control. If there is anyone who is capable of controlling anything, it is I. I will be the one to set the world right again. As it should have always been.”

She winced as she felt her wings starting to cramp. ‘I need to keep him talking. Give Princess Twilight and her friends a chance to get here.’ Turning to glare at him, she said, “What is it you want, Tyranny? Why come back only to cause more strife to Equestria?”

He sneered. “I had thought it obvious, my lady. I intend to bring all of Equestria under my rule. In doing so, I will see to it that strife, chaos, and disorder become a thing of the past.”

A nasty scowl burst across her face. “It is because of tyrants like you that they never truly fade!"

Narrowing his eyes, contempt dripped from his tone. “Because soft hearts like you are unwilling to make the necessary sacrifices to make it a reality.”

She felt her hackles rise, and she tried to kick at the dark ponies holding her. “Do not speak to me of sacrifice!”

His mocking laughter only caused her scowl to deepen. “Then it is true. Your own return to Equestria has not been too long ago either.” His arrogant smile only widened. “And under less-than-harmonious circumstances as I am aware.”

She glared at him, her teeth gritting.

Rubbing at his chin, he asked, “What was it? A thousand years imprisonment in the moon? By your sister no less.” He settled his hoof to the ground again. “What was her reason for doing so?”

“She did it to save Equestria from the dangers Nightmare Moon presented,” she said, unable to keep all the regret from her tone.

“And you honestly believe that?”

She narrowed her eyes.

“True, the monster you became did need to be dealt with, but a thousand years imprisonment was her justification?" He shook his head slowly as he paced around her, a knowing grin growing across his face. "I think not. Have you ever stopped to wonder why she never released you beforehoof?”

Her jaw ached from gritting her teeth.

“Perhaps she had other reasons to keep you locked away in the moon?" He lifted his chin while leering at her. "Think of it, two sisters sharing the same throne would no doubt cause a separation among their followers; thus causing a country to be divided between them. A divided country only leads to strife and war, so what better way to unify a country, than to remove the competition?”

“Be silent,” she whispered.

“Your becoming a Nightmare over petty jealousy proved to be the ultimate excuse to harmlessly do away with you and cement herself as Equestria’s sole ruler.”

Her hooves dug into the ground. “Be silent,” Luna’s voice rose.

“An act of compassion may have allowed your release and eventual reformation,” he said, the sneer growing across his face as he paused in his pacing to regard her. “She welcomed you back to her side, but only after it was widely accepted that she was the ruler of Equestria. Even after the years of your return, your name is not the one the ponies cry out for when they are in danger.”

“Be silent.” Even louder.

“I can assure to you, it is not,”

“Be silent!” she yelled at the top of her lungs. Her eyes glowed and a bright light burst from her body, the dark ponies vanishing as the light shot through them—even their armor crumbled to dust.

He sneered all the wider at her show of rage. “Seems I am not the only one then.”

His eyes widened before the blast hit him squarely in the chin, sending him bouncing across the turf to land painfully against a tree. Breathing past her gritted teeth, Luna took a step forward, intent on stopping him them and there.

“Princess Luna!” She heard a concerned shout from the trees. Turning in time to see Twilight and her friends emerge into the clearing, she let her magic fade at the shock—and frightened—expressions on their faces.

“Princess Luna, are you all right?” Twilight asked as she ran to her side, her friends following after her.

“I am fine, Twilight Sparkle,” she said, relieved for the arrival of the Elements of Harmony.

“Ah, so this is Equestria’s newest princess,” Tyranny said as he slowly got back to his hooves. He looked over the new arrivals, glaring directly at Twilight.

“Yeah!” Rainbow shouted, flaring her wings. “And just who are you supposed to be, chump?”

He raised one eyebrow, turning an incredulous look her way. “You are unaware? Celestia continues to misleads her minions I see.”

Rainbow growled like a dog before shouting, “Who are you calling a minion!”

“Enough of your games, Tyranny," Luna said as she took a threatening step towards him. "These are the bearers of the Elements of Harmony; they will be the ones to see your reign ends before it ever began!”

“That's Tyranny?” Pinkie asked Twilight.

Twilight nodded to her. “Yes it is—” before she could say anything more, the pink mare was suddenly eye to eye with the dark stallion.

“You, buster, owe me a new costume! The one you ruined was special!” she said, poking him in the chest. “Now apologize!”

Glaring, he brought back his hoof for a slap. “Away.”

His swing met nothing but air as Pinkie bounced off of him. Flipping, she landed softly on her hooves next to her friends. “Now that’s just mean. I am so not making you a just-got-out-of-prison cake, buster!”

Tyranny snorted and looked back at Luna. “As enjoyable as I found our little encounter, it is not yet time for me to deal with you or the Bearers of Harmony.”

Luna smirked. “How short your memory is, Tyranny. If I recall correctly, you have lost.”

Narrowing his eyes, he said, “We will meet again soon." Without so much as a change in expression he faded from sight and was gone.

Luna let a sigh of relief loose, one shared with her friends. “I am pleased you all came to my aid. Goodness knows what other schemes Tyranny had planned,” she said as she turned to regard them.

“What did he say to you, Princess?” Twilight asked.

“Lies, Princess Twilight, all lies,” she responded, though even Luna frowned a bit at a subtle difference in her tone. “You must all beware his words. He will bend and twist them to his advantage and seek to cause doubt. Doubt is his greatest weapon, and he will not hesitate to use it.”

Tyranny’s laughter ghosted around them. “If you wish to stop me, seek me out in the north.” His voice faded and was heard no more.

“Arrogant lout.” Rarity snorted.

“Ya got that right,” Applejack said, glaring at the nearby shadows before turning a wary glance Luna’s way. “Ya all right there, Princess Luna? It looked like Tyranny got under your skin pretty bad back there.”

“I am fine, Applejack,” Luna said, a tinge of tightness making its way into her voice. “Come, we should all get our rest and send a message to my sister about what has occurred.”

Nodding their agreement, they followed after Luna back for the camp. Fluttershy lagged behind a bit and Twilight slowed to walk alongside her.

“Fluttershy?”

The pegasus looked to her and stole a glance at Luna, who was ahead of them. The dark-blue alicorn’s gaze half-lidded, seeming lost in her own thoughts.

“Its Princess Luna, she… she looks like she’s hurting. Or she’s really, really mad.”

Twilight glanced at Princess Luna, trying to spot what Fluttershy meant. “What do you mean? She just got out of a fight with Tyranny.”

Fluttershy shook her head. “It is not that… I’ve never seen Princess Luna so angry. Not since she was...” she trailed off, looking away.

A frown tugged at Twilight’s lips. “I think Princess Luna is okay, Fluttershy. She’s more than capable of dealing with anything Tyranny says or does.”

Shaking her head, Fluttershy said, “It’s not that it’s… oh, just forget I said anything.” Trotting ahead, she quickly caught up to the others.

Twilight watched her go and stole a look at the clearing behind them, her expression worried. She could only guess what had transpired between Princess Luna and Tyranny; she made a mental note to speak to her privately… and find out exactly what caused that show of rage that even Twilight shuddered about.

-0-

When they arrived back at the camp, they could see the Royal Guard patching up wounds and repairing the wagons. Spike came running as they appeared, a relieved smile on his face.

“I’m glad you’re all alright.” he said, “What happened out there?”

“Tyranny made an appearance, he and Princess Luna fought,” Twilight said as she sat down with a tired huff.

The dragon looked to the princess with a measure of awe. “Did you beat him, Princess?”

She shook her head slowly, her eyes still holding that distant look to them. “I did not; he fled not long after the others arrived to aid me." She turned to the royal guard commander nearby. “Are any hurt?”

“Bumps and bruises, Princess. Nothing serious to report.”

“What was it that attacked the camp? Describe them for me,” she pressed.

The guard thought for a moment. “They were black, shadow-like ponies, Princess. They wore Equestrian armor and had pure white eyes.”

“And they grew wings,” Rainbow added.

“And disappeared in a poof when you beat them,” Pinkie Pie added, throwing both of her arms out to greater emphasize the point.

“Once ya did put’em down, the armor came back to life after a little bit. With another of them ponies in ’em,” Applejack said.

A frown tugged at Luna’s lips as she looked around. “The armor?”

“Faded away, Princess. Shortly after the bearers went to help you,” the guard said.

“That is most troubling.” She looked to the rest of the gathered camp. “Seek your rest, we head north come dawn.” As the guards turned to their tasks, Luna turned to Twilight and spoke in a whisper. “Please bring your dragon friend to my wagon, Princess Twilight. We need to send a letter to my sister.”

Author's Note:

This chapter was a lot of fun to write, between the two battle scenes and Pinkie Pie's song, it was a blast to write. And man does Tyranny bring up some good questions.