• Published 3rd Jan 2014
  • 808 Views, 58 Comments

Experiment 76 - Foxes33



Young Blitzer never knew how much danger he was in. He heard bells and whistles, but he doesn't know what happens after. Until they come to his door.

  • ...
3
 58
 808

Chapter One - Bells and Whistles

Comforting darkness floats around me, I feel safe here. I don't know why, but not seeing is something I prefer, it has always been something I prefer. Here they say this is my home, but I don't feel that safe. I always looked around, hoping for the light under the door never to engulf my room. I can hear the sounds of bells, always, and sometimes whistles too. Yet I always find myself gazing at the blackness, not at the door. I hardly move and I can tell by the light patterns when they give food and water. However I always lay on the cold metal and wait, they talk to me, I stay quiet.

I knew one day I would fall victim to having them enter my room, get me to respond. They want me to talk, they want to know if I am ready. I know what happens after if I speak, pain, pain happens. I always heard the terrible screams of those younger then me, those who don't know. However I know, if I talk, they will take me away. I have no idea what they are trying to prove, but they're growing tired. I know it, I can hear the frustration in their voice, they might take me anyways. The door opens and slight light engulfs my room. I flinched for a second, but the door opened no wider.

I heard the sound of metal bowls hit the floor, it is just lunch. I have no way of tracking time here, they tell me nothing. I got up to eat a little and get some water. My mouth feeling pasty and dry, and my mind going through the same rut. However I knew this rut was the safest thing. I quietly ate the bland gruel and drink the refreshing water. My ears prick as I heard the slot of the door open, my head lifted. I could see the face of a guard, and he glared at me and I just match his glare. However I soon find it a pointless effort, I couldn't scare them before, so I can't now.

"Hey, you gonna say something?" He growls through the metal slot.

I didn't respond, I just kept my head down and drink some of the water. It isn't cold, but its always better then nothing. I hear dhim let out a growl of frustration.

"Not one word? Your too smart. We like to bug the talkers, we don't like voices. It makes you different, but you are silent. However how great would it be to see you finally go into the white room. Heck I am up to see that! So how about a word?" He asked, a mischievous smile creeps on his face.

I didn't make a sound, does he think I am stupid? Then again he is like the other guards, they all talk to me, trying to get me to crack. It has been so long since I have heard the sound of my own voice. I don't even remember what I sound like. I look at him, seeing two blue eyes watching me. Soon he growls and slams the metal slit shut. Good riddance. I began to walk back to the back wall, but I heard it. Not in my cell, but the one next to me. I heard the bells and whistles of them. I know that the one next to me has finally cracked.

He was here longer then me, I had heard guard word that he is insane. I can even hear his crackle through the thick walls. I can help, but to turn left and have a listen. I put my right ear up to the cold metal wall. I can hear loud laughter and the bells. They are loud and have rhythm to them. I hear guards hoot, cheering for the insanity that happened to my neighbor. All I can wonder is if I am going to end up like that. If I am just going to become an idiot and say a word. I take a deep breath and soothing breath out, reminding myself of who I am.

I am Blitzer, a Silenced. I vowed not to speak when I came here. I am one of the very few Silenced left. I am experiment 76.

I take another long breath. This place is one of the worst places in all of Equestria, yet no pony knows we are here. We are hidden, never to be seen, mostly to be killed. We are told by the Silencers it is out nature to die young. I never believed and I knew I never would. How can it be somepony's nature to die young? It is like saying we are all going to end up here, every pony in the world, but that can't be believed. If the princesses knew about this, would they stop this terrible place?

That was when I heard the loud sound of the metal door smacking the wall. I shudder and turn to see ponies in white lab coats and black goggles with yellow lenses. I am confused, this isn't right, I have stayed silent. I still stay silent, the Silencers won't get a word out of me. They just look at me, stepping closer and closer. I can feel my heart beat fast, I am frightened. I have never been in a situation like this, they only would send one! I step back into my corner, not daring to speak a word. They all stop and a colt is thrown in front of me.

I cock my head, what is this supposed to mean? I watch as one of them grabs him, be screams. He was clearly startled as a razor blade is held towards his left arm. Bells and whistles still blew in the background, I could still hear the laughs of insanity. Soon a female scientist walks forward. She had a long dark brown mane and tail, both the color of chestnuts. Her body is tanned and her eyes are a bright green. She smiled at me, and I stood there confused.

"Hello experiment 76. You haven't talked in so long. I bet you don't even remember. Well listen, say a few chosen words, and the colt won't get hurt. Got it?" She explained, stepping back.

I wonder if they really are that twisted to hurt an innocent colt? I am not sure, all I do know is that I hear constant screams from outside my walls. I don't say a word. She nods to the pony holding the colt. I watch in horror as the blade is brought to his skin, making a deep cut. Slowly he cuts down the arm of the colt.

"Noooo! Noooo!" The colt screeched loudly.

Blood dribbles to the floor. Shining in the light of the open door. The first cuts already staining his pelt and I already know it hurts like hell. Tears stream from the colts eyes and mercy comes from them. He looks at me with puppy-dog eyes, but I do nothing. I could smell the terrible metallic odor that flooded my cell. It burned my throat and made me want to gag. The mare looks at me, unamused and nods at the stallion again. He slams the colt against the metal floor and begins to slowly cut the shoulder. The colt cries louder in pain and I can't hear the bells and whistles anymore. My face starts to feel hot with anger and I too want to cry, but I stay strong. I watch as a pool of crimson blood forms at my hooves.

Soon he lifts the colt and points to the throat. A smile on the stallions face. My stomach twists in knots and I can't believe what I was going to do.

"I surrender!" I screeched, not able to let the colt suffer anymore.

They let go of the colt and he falls to the ground still crying. He looks at me and nods, I know it means thank you. Soon they rings bells and whistles and blindfold me. Making sure I have no idea where anything is. My head hangs low as they lead me down a long hallway. I can't tell how long, but it is long. I had heard my voice, gave up my safety to save the young colt. He may have to suffer healing burning cuts, but he is safe. That is all I know. The knots in my stomach hurt more and more. I am nervous to find out whats next.

I know it isn't good, we would have known by now, we hear too much. The bells and whistles make it impossible to me to know what kind of room I am in, but I can feel pools of liquid at my feet. I know that it isn't water, it is blood that is soaking my hooves. They shove me into a different room, removing the blindfold. My eyes sting in the light as I realize I am in a room with other ponies. All look beaten and terrible. Some even look sick and others I can tell are dead.

Blood cakes their fur and covers the metal ground. It is like a horror story here. Some have reddish eyes, others have so many cuts and scars they look deformed. I don't want to know, but I can feel their eyes watching me. I move away from the door and over to a corner. I feel safer there then anywhere in this cage. As I sit, I hear hoof steps of the metal ground as a grey stallion comes up to me. His fur is clotted with dark red blood and his navy mane is a mess. His blue eyes are milky and by my guess he is blind.

"So you the new kid here?" He asked.

I am swallow hard, I don't know if we are allowed to talk. I begin to chew my bottom lip.

"Don't worry, we can talk here." A mare said.

She had a bright orange mane and green eyes. Her orange mane is filthy along with her yellow fur. They are both covered in blood, as though they have been bathed in it.

"Yeah." I answered, my voice quivering.

"What made you talk?" The stallion questions.

I think for a second, raking my brain for a suitable answer.

"Mercy. They were hurting a colt, I couldn't let it continue." I answer.

"Mercy is one of the most useful things. Without mercy, we are no different then Silencers." Somepony said.

I look to my right to see a dark grey stallion with a black mane. His eyes are dark green like pine trees. He is covered in blood, but it is dulled out. He had been taking care of himself. I know he is right and mercy is one thing I had. It was a weakness, but it was needed.

"Yeah, your right." I admitted.

He smiled at me, clearly liking that I admitted that. He walks closer.

"So what is your name? I am Shade," he introduced himself.

"I am Clay," said the milky eyed stallion.

"The name's Flora," the yellow mare added.

I lift my head from the ground. They knew their names, I never knew mine. I just created out of my head. I wonder if they will notice and not like it. Plus my odd name could leave a trail and wasn't it better to be a nobody? I wasn't sure and I knew, that they already trusted me. They granted me the knowledge of their names, it was only fair I did the same, right?

"I am Blitzer. Number 76." I answered.

They all looked astonished, as though they knew who I was. Maybe it was my number that rang a bell. However there mouths were gaped.

"76, I have heard you haven't spoken in two years. Nopony has gone that long. You ignored every word. Now you show mercy?" Shade asked.

Soon I was confused again, what about my neighbor? He had been there longer then me and I didn't hear a peep out of him. I just look at Shade.

"What? My neighbor has lasted longer. Number 75 or 77, I don't know." I retorted.

"Nope, number 75 died of hunger, it was silent because he was already dead. You out lived him." Shade explained.

My mouth gaped, I felt stupid, how didn't I notice this? It was unfortunate, now my number would be flung around. I looked at hooves, nervous.

"Don't worry, we won't let anyone know you number 76. Besides, no one knows until your called." Flora assured.

I looked up, I had to admit she was observant. However I knew nothing of this place, and they wouldn't say anything. That was when I heard hoof steps. Shade brought his hoof up to his lips, telling me to be quiet. We all looked through the bars at the lab pony coming.

"Number 88, calling number 88." She called into the cell.

I watched in horror as a scrawny light blue filly was thrown to the front. The door opened and the scientist smiled. Soon number 88 was taken away, screaming like crazy. So this would be my new life, I wasn't safe.