• Published 3rd Jan 2014
  • 653 Views, 63 Comments

Exiled Magic - Lawpony



Havoc, the homicidal chimera of chaos, has flung the Elements of Harmony into different dementions. This is Twilight's story.

  • ...
3
 63
 653

Pt. 7: I spy...

"Have you gotten word from Thilken?"

"No, I have not, nor word that Twilight and her followers have fallen. It has been three weeks, and I doubt they would wait that long to tell us. He failed, and we must plan our next move, as they no doubt are planning theirs."

"You are right. I must inform the others. Gather them for me please."

"Oh of course," Fluttershy walked out of the room.

Rainbow Dash was left to think to herself for a few minutes as she gazed out over the courtyard. She did not like the idea that the most feared group of changelings could not even fully crush Twilight and her force. The best part about it was that the fact that they were changelings made it impossible to be recognized, even in their changeling forms. They only did business in their pony forms, and the only beings to ever see their changeling forms were those that would die shortly after. Perhaps it was the shock that one had been infiltrated by spies that made Thilken like it so much, but that was his way. If he revealed himself to you, that meant that you were going to die, or that he trusted you with his own life, even to the point of jeopardizing his entire organization, which was entirely impossible. Thilken was a paranoid freak. He would never trust somepony so liberally. If you saw his changeling form you would surly die.

"If you're so powerful and skilled, then why haven't you come back with Twilight's head in a satchel?!", Rainbow Dash was flustered at the thought of another failure.

Rainbow Dash's eyes fell to Twilight's abandoned guard tower.

"It's been a long time. I still can't believe it happened. The blame can't all be mine...can it?"

The door opened and Rarity, Applejack, and Pinkie Pie came in followed closely by Fluttershy. As the door shut, Rainbow Dash returned her thoughts to the task at hoof.

"Hello friends," Rainbow greeted with a smile. "You may wonder why I've gathered you here."

The present ponies nodded.

Rainbow Dash's smile fell to a scowl of disappointment. "I suppose you all remember Thilken the changeling and his company?"

"What happened? Any news on their status yet?", Applejack asked.

"We have not heard a single word from Thilken, nor any of his changelings. I fear we must assume the worst."

"Well, I...um. Wow. I didn't expect that."

"Neither did I. If his reputation is to be understood, he is never late, and he never fails. The only way either of these happen is if they happen together. Only if he failed and is killed will he ever be late. I believe we must move on and continue preparations for battle," Rainbow Dash bowed her head and took a deep breath. She then looked back at her friends to continue. "I fear a full frontal attack is the only possible choice we have against her at the moment. All other avenues are closed right now, and we just can't afford to wait any longer."

"Are you sure? It seems a frontal attack is the most dangerous approach!", Rarity spoke up.

"I'm not sure what else we can do right now. We've only seen her fortress once before. It's sturdily built and nestled in between two mountains with only two sides open to approachable planes; one side, and the top. We might be able to sneak some ponies up the mountain but that all still needs to be planned."

Pinkie, with her straight hair and somber countenance spoke up next.

"Perhaps we could hide some troops atop the mountain, waiting for nightfall, and then they drop into the fortress from above. Then the ground troops will attack the front while they are distracted from the nuisances on the inside."

"I like that ide-", something large and gray crashed into the window, followed by the sound of quickly fluttering wings. "What was that?!"

Rainbow Dash walked over to the window and looked out. A grey feather fluttered down and landed on the window sill.

"What the hay?! Are those...pegasus feathers?!"

A loud and annoyed 'BAKAW!' could be heard just outside the window.

"What's that sound like to you, an eagle?", Applejack walked up beside Rainbow Dash.

"I dunno, it might have been a falcon..."


"Have you gotten word from Thilken?"

"Thilken? The changeling mercenaries! You don't think he's the one th-"

"SHH! They're still talking."

"No, I have not. Nor word that Twilight and her followers have fallen. It has been three weeks, and I doubt they would wait that long to tell us. He failed, and we must plan our next move, as they no doubt are planning theirs."

"Thilken must be the one Twilight killed."

"I thought he was a myth. Ya know, the whole, 'if you see his changeling form that means you're going to die' thing? I never believed that."

"I guess Twilight's more of a bad flank than we thought. She lived."

"But still, he's not a myth? I thought he was just an old pony tale."

"I've heard stories you don't want to hear. They seem to prove he exists."

"Oh trust me, I don't wanna-"

"Oh shh, shh! She has company. Keep listening."

Two pegasi, Storm Glider and her brother Slip Stream, sat latched to the wall just above the window that Rainbow Dash and the others stood behind.

"Hello friends. You may wonder why I've gathered you hear," Rainbow Dash's voice spoke up.

"I assume that means they're all there. I wish this was a lethal mission. Though I guess a little recon never hurt anypony."

"I suppose you all remember Thilken the changeling and his company?"

"What happened? Any news on their status yet?", the southern drawl made it clear this was Applejack.

"We have not heard a single word from Thilken, nor any of his changelings. I fear we must assume the worst.", Rainbow Dash's voice spoke up.

"It's true, they really did send him. We have what we need here, now we just need to wait for her to leave the complex. Tonight's her off night and as soon as she signs out and heads home, we'll have our final bit of information on her," Storm Glider spoke up.

"Okay, I say we go to the roof, we find a hole or crevice to hide in, and when she leaves, we follow."

"Alright. On three. One, two, thr-"

As Slip Stream prepared for the swift yet silent glide up the wall, his usually surefooted hoof slipped and he spun out of control. He didn't make much noise as he flew through the air, until he finally landed with a loud THUD against the window. Instantly he zipped straight up to the roof. Storm Glider, still latched to the wall, knew this was going to end badly.

Thinking quickly, Storm Glider belted out a loud birdlike, "BAKAW!", before zipping up to the roof herself.

"What the hay was that?!", Storm hissed at her brother.

"Sorry, my hoof slipped on a brick! But nice thinking. If she doesn't buy that, I don't think she'll buy anything."


"In any case, I think we've been speaking too openly, don't you think?", Rarity turned to Rainbow Dash, who was still standing by the window.

"I do believe so," she said, mentally taking note of the thick brown hairs stuck in between bricks of window sill. "Girls, our meeting will have to wait. I am going to need your help with something."


Rainbow Dash whistled happily as she trotted to a cabin not far from town. It was a quaint little abode that looked unbelievably old. Rainbow Dash looked around at the surrounding woods, then shrugged off what looked to be a feeling of worry. She pushed open the door which had no lock and went inside, followed by shutting the door.

Two shadowy figures lurked behind in the darkness. They watched as the door was shut and lights around the house were turned off, the one which appeared to belong to an upper room going out last.

"That must be her room. Have you made note?", Storm Glider asked her brother.

"Yes, and I have made note of our position on the map. We're just five miles from the city, going north down the path opposite the door that leads to the fort."

"Good. We have where she lives. The door surprisingly has no locks; odd. And if the schedule worked like when I was in the force, then by today being her off day, which is Monday, then that means she gets every third Monday to herself. Or at least that's how I remember it being in times of war."

"Yeah I think that's right."

"Good. Now let's report back to Twilight with our findings."

"Alright."

The two ponies flew off into the dark night.

Author's Note:

Real quick. I had to change something in the last chapter. I called Rainbow Dash a governor for some stupid reason, even though I know she is not. I don't remember if past me had any plans to keep what she actually WAS a secret, so I'm just gonna play it safe and not just blurt it out. I'll just keep hinting at it till someone shouts it out. I fixed it to say Captain, as this fits her..."role" much better.

Anyway, enough dwelling on the past. Let's talk about this chapter. It was awesome. There. Done.

Anyway, if you enjoyed and have not yet, leave a fave and a like and it will be much appreciated.

Thanx! Have a nice day/evening/morning/whenever the heck you read this! ;P
-Lawpony