• Published 30th Nov 2013
  • 10,350 Views, 146 Comments

Elements of Honor - SpitFlame



An assassin aiding Equestria escalates into a war-like battle of wits between him and the princesses. -Dishonored/MLP Crossover

  • ...
66
 146
 10,350

Chapter 3: Nostalgic Gathering

The red-yellow sun shimmered over the horizon as it came out of hiding. Black shadows stretched far from the castle peaks as they distanced themselves; a warm light greeted Corvo through his window. He had been sleeping quietly, though he kept his mask on. He grumbled in his bed, shaking the thin blankets to the side. The room's black-shadowed corners were lit by the sun through his small window. Corvo felt weary, like a heavy load on his back. He opened his eyes, scanning the plain ceiling, and went back to sleep, letting his thoughts fade into a dream.

"Good morning!" clamored a voice. Corvo shot up, warily, back straight in a snap. He forced himself to not groan, looking at a lavender equine who bore a smirk. "Good to see you awake," she said, more clearly and thickly. "Princess Celestia and I talked about you; we've come to the conclusion that we shall trust you for the time being."

Corvo, feeling very gloomy, hopped out of bed, landing on the floor with his heavy feet. "Good morning to you, too," he said. "Your princess said I am to meet some ponies today—so I suppose we should get done with it."

"Oh, come now; it won't be that bad," said Twilight as her expression flattened. They both walked out the plain room and down the illuminated hallway. "Don't think you're fully welcomed yet. There's still some things to be done."

"I know it shall take some time," said Corvo. "Does it matter?" They continued their walk; but Twilight kept vigilant at all times, however. "You seem calmer," said Corvo again, "much calmer than the last time you met me. What has changed?"

"Nothing, really," answered Twilight. "You seemed truthful enough. I think I can trust you, maybe. You were even a bit on the normal side." But Twilight suddenly found herself wreathed in curiosity. "What has happened, Corvo, since the last time you were here?"

Corvo became mentally aghast. Her using his name was unexpected. "Why did you say my name?" he asked.

Twilight blinked twice. "Um, isn't that your name—Corvo?"

"Yes, it sure is," he said, "but if I reckon, you ponies did not take my presence too kindly. Still, you using my name and walking by my side without using a circle of spears shows I am progressing."

"Progressing what?" said Twilight, switching her gaze back down the hallway.

"I came here to see how forgiving you ponies were—partly that, anyhow. Being here seems almost... nice." Corvo then sighed heavily. "You remind me of someone whom used to be close to my heart."

A tint of dark red spread across Twilight's cheeks as she frowned. "What's that supposed to mean!" she said. "Are you assuming I'm close to you?"

"Nothing which would interest you," said Corvo bluntly. "I must ask: why do you trust me all of the sudden? You went from being scared of me to walking next to me without so much of a sign of hesitation. No important questions. This seems a little odd for me. If I would know any better, I would say you ponies are planning something, hmm?"

Twilight narrowed an eye. "Implying I would hesitate?" she said. "The princesses and I had a stern talk about you. We even had a plan to get rid of you over night and—" she was stopped mid-sentence as Corvo's glassy eyes loomed over her in a grey darkness "—I mean, um, well, nothing serious was going to happen. We decided that you could equate to Equestria; we trusted your word. It seemed like a fire was in your eyes. Figuratively, obviously."

"Very obvious," said Corvo. "But a fire too sudden for me. I will let it go for now. Anyway, where are these ponies you want me to meet so bad?" They had gone through a spiral of stairs; now, they walked among a new hallway, one which was lower and bore a plethora of stained glass windows. Down a few yards, to the left, the wall was borne with a heavy-looking double door gate. Its face was made of dry marble with carvings of a sun and moon to each of the parallel sides. Twilight and Corvo stopped in front of the great entrance.

"Tell me, Corvo," said Twilight. "Why? Why did this all have to happen? Our country was at peace, but you showed up a few months ago and caused so much havoc. Can you please tell me why you came? Had something happened?"

"That is what you would think, would you not?" Corvo opined. "I am sorry that had to happen. I really am. Things change, Twilight"— he stopped suddenly, noticing he used her name"— yes," he continued. "Things changed. I assure you that I have changed. You shall see in these next upcoming days."

"I still don't see why this has to happen," said Twilight. "Didn't you accept goodness into your heart? Is that it?"

Corvo remained silent. Twilight's ears drooped; she remembered where they were both standing.

"Just give it some time, Corvo," said Twilight ominously. "To them, you are a pretty big threat. They won't take you too kindly."

"And just who am I going to meet?" asked Corvo

"My five other friends, along with my brother, his wife, and another princess." Corvo, at the mention of those names, raised an eyebrow under his metal mask. He exhaled uneasily.

"Let us see how this shall go," said Corvo. "Go ahead, open the door." With that said, Twilight used her magic, grasping the long handles of the monstrous doors, pushing them aside.

* * *

Twilight and Corvo gaited their way inside the massive room. A long, white table stood perpendicular against the back-wall. Eleven deep seats of carven-wood and stone were placed neatly round the rectangular furniture. Two of the seats were empty; nine held different ponies: the five friends whom of which Twilight spoke of—Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, Rarity, Applejack, and Pinkie Pie—two regal princesses—Celestia and Luna—and a white stallion, Shining Armor, with his wife, Princess Cadence.

In the first second, there was a great sense of stress present, with everypony spilling conversations about their day: how has it been in the past week and their opinions on future matters. That is, when Twilight entered and all eyes turned to her, seeing a great shadowed figure behind her, everypony became aghast—save for Celestia who looked hard at the guest.

For a lasting ten seconds, everypony did not move; all their eyes were turned to Corvo. Twilight nervously moved to the side. All the memories of the past flooded to the members of the room. Finally, Corvo said: "Must you lot be so awkward?"

"You!" jeered Luna as her horn flashed a mystical midnight blue. Corvo couldn't react to a breath before a telekinetic forced threw him against the pale wall with a thud! He used his elbows to support his weighted feet; all he saw were many lights flickering on top of many ponies' heads; all he heard was screaming and a few muttered words he couldn't make out. When a different blast of midnight light whistled over to Corvo, a beam of golden-white light overlapped it, vaporizing both magics. Celestia ran in front of Corvo.

"Everypony, please stop!" cried Celestia. "He means no harm!"

"No harm!" said Cadence, backing away. "He is the creature that nearly killed all of us. What is he doing here!"

"Please," said Celestia, "you all must trust me! He will help us. But first, he must meet all of you."

Meanwhile, Twilight was talking quietly to her friends. They seemed worried, suspicious and angered all at once, with shrunken pupils and dead colors in their eyes. Twilight's head bowed low as she tried to explain the rather saddening situation; all of them still remained with cold expressions.

"Princess, please," said Shining Armor, "how can you trust him? He is all but... well, good!"

"What an odd way to describe me," said Corvo. "Sorry, but I do not want to waste any time, so let us get down to business."

"Silence, you atrocity of a living being!" cried Luna. "I do not know what Tia is thinking... but—" she sighed deeply "—I trust her." Luna's voice softened. "As for you, creature, what is your business in Equestria?"

"He is here to help us all," said Celestia. "With so many problems happening all at once, I feel like I can trust him. We must all be open-minded about this."

"Open-minded?" said Cadence. "Remember how hard he tried to do what he did, how he almost killed us all in the past? This is suicide!"

"Put the past behind you," said Corvo. "I will supply my deductive abilities to figure problematic events out here. You will all see as time motions."

"I think we should all sit down!" said Twilight, breaking the mood while sweating rapidly.

After several hardened minutes had passed by, their meeting seemingly resumed. Twilight, along with her friends sat at one end of the table; Luna, Cadence, and Shining Armor sat on the right side; Celestia on the left with Corvo seated grimly at the high opposite end.

"I would like to inform you all that Corvo here will be helping us resolve these mysterious events," said Celestia.

"Even his name is stupid," whispered Rainbow in irritation. Her eyebrow twitched involuntarily. They all bore tightened jaws and furrowed brows to see Twilight agreeing to let this person be with them.

"Shining Armor, Cadence," said Celestia, "I would like you two to go back to the Crystal Empire. It has been weeks since you both have been to the Crystal Castle. Corvo, along with Twilight and friends shall meet you there—hopefully tomorrow, at most."

"Good to know," said Shining Armor sarcastically yet darkly. "Come on, Cadence; let's go." He got up and headed for the south door.

"Twilight," said Cadence with a tint of desperation in her voice. Twilight's ears erected; she looked at Cadence from half across the table. "Please be careful." Then both Cadence and Shining Armor left the room.

"So, what happens now?" said Fluttershy. As soon as all eyes turned towards her, she shrunk in her seat.

"Yes, what does happen now?" said Corvo. "I would very much like to know."

Celestia looked at Corvo. To him, she seemed, for a moment, ready to hearken him. "You, along with the six friends, shall be heading out at twilight."

"Ah'm sorry, Princess," said Applejack, "but where would ya like us to go?"

"I must ask, too," said Rarity. "I'm positively dripping with curiosity to know what happens next. While this time does seem distraught, I am sure we can work something out with... Corvo?"

"At twilight?" said Corvo. "It is still just over morning. That is only in half a day, more or less. What are you planning in between that time frame?"

"You do nothing," said Celestia. "Nothing but wait." She then turned to Twilight. "Twilight, please be ready with all your friends. You, as I have made it obvious, will be heading to the Crystal Empire."

"The Crystal Empire?" said Twilight. "Why is that? I wouldn't expect any specific clues there for an adequate start."

Celestia looked hard at Corvo. He, under his glassy stare, looked back equally as hard. "We have found something in the main-room of the Crystal Castle," said Celestia. "Princess Cadence and Shining Armor were the first few to know. That is why they are heading back there after searching here for so long. Corvo will go with you—I'd imagine he might pick up on something."

"Whoa, whoa, wait!" said Rainbow Dash. "How would he know if something's up? He'd probably just set up another trap and put us all in danger!"

"Yeah, he doesn't even like parties," said Pinkie Pie. "Oh wait, does he like planned parties? Oh, I can't be sure. Maybe I should ask him later? Yes; no! I'll ask him now. Wait, maybe it'll be better to—"

A lavender hoof muffled Pinkie. "Yes, we shall know anything about him which he is willing to tell us," said Twilight.

Corvo, in the meantime, had been low in his high chair, snaking his eyes round the room while the conversation went on for dozens of minutes. Finally, he interrupted with a low voice: "We should leave now."

Celestia groaned. She had been sitting there for an hour straight, explaining all the possible details. It seemed to her that Corvo didn't hear a single word she spoke. "Did you not listen?" said Celestia. "We better leave once the moon is about to rise so no attention will be attracted."

"And the longer we wait," said Corvo, "the worse things could be getting. I would get to that train you mentioned by now. Time is precious; do not waste it."

"Like you know about managing time!" said Rainbow Dash. "I bet you wasted your time harming innocent ponies and creatures without thinking. You should be lucky you're even alive right now!"

Corvo's pupils shook. These ponies knew nothing about him: about what he would really do for people, and how far he managed to go. Rainbow Dash carelessly sputtered a conclusion to his past, and put no thought into it. Corvo's eyes became misty as he let out a deep sigh. He then turned to Celestia. "I would recommend leaving now," he said for the final time.

After much thinking and a few extra minutes of conversation, they had decided to leave—leave secretly by the time the sun had reached three-quarters of the sky.

The six friends all got up, stretched their backs from sitting for so long, yawned for talking aimlessly, and they headed for an assigned train. Corvo followed behind them, but they all avoided eye-contact with him, save for Twilight who seldom shot a dead stare at him.

Celestia and Luna were the last two in the room. Princess Luna had been quiet all this time: deep in thought, crouched in the deep seat. Both sisters looked worryingly at each other.

"Tia," said Luna with a shaky voice, "be wary. I would not trust this Corvo so easily."

"I never said I did," said Celestia. "I am giving him this chance to prove something, yet I fear his actions. Last time he was here, he tried to kill us all, then everything stopped and went back to normal. Almost everypony stopped knowing. The truth is: I am becoming desperate. My mission is to defend my land. If Corvo really is with us, well, I am willing to take that slim chance."

Luna slowly nodded her heavy head. "We shall see," she said.