• Published 29th Nov 2013
  • 405 Views, 6 Comments

The Pony Games - Doctor269



Welcome to this years 27th Pony Games. We have picked 24 contestants to fight to the death. And only one may win.

  • ...
11
 6
 405

The Reaping

The Reaping of District 4

If anything, Rainbow Dash was the most excited for the Pony Games. She had been training for this, her entire life. She paced around in the house, filled with too much excitement to stay still.

“Rainbow Dash,” her father, was dressed in a pony suit, with a bright red tie. He told her, “I know you want to volunteer for this. I didn’t spend all that money on training for no reason. I want you to forget about us. Don’t think about your family, and just concentrate on the games. I know you want to win this as much as I do.” Her father was a victor himself, which meant their family had wealth, honor, and an easy lifestyle. Everyone in District 4 expected Rainbow Dash to join the games as a volunteer, not to mention that they wanted her to win.

“Honey,” Rainbow Dash turned to see her mother in a fairly beautiful blue dress. Rainbow Dash thought it was showy. “I know you’ll do great out there!” Her mother hugged her right then and there.

Well that’s just great, Rainbow Dash thought, My parents really expect a lot of me this time. Just recently, Rainbow Dash had had her sixteenth birthday, so her name was only in the bowls five times. The likelihood of her being chosen was very small. She looked at both of her parents, always acting perfect around the crowd. Ignoring the needs other people had. Rainbow Dash once tried to act like them, but she really couldn’t.

When they reached the square where all of the children came to be selected, Rainbow Dash walked up past everyone. A line had already been made to get their legs pricked for DNA, but everyone moved for Rainbow Dash. She looked at one of her friends as she walked to the front. Her friend’s eyes merely said, “Good Luck.”

After she got her leg pricked, Rainbow Dash stood in her age group for girls, three rows from the front. She stood next to another filly named Derpy Hooves. Derpy was literally an idiot, and Rainbow Dash felt remorse for herself by having to stand next to such a moron of a pegasus. The district’s representative walked up to the stage to select the names.

“Are you all ready for the 27th annual pony games?” The representative shouted. There were probably two or three people who actually cheered. Most of the crowd just wanted to see who’d they’d get to pressure next to win the games. “Cheery,” the pony on stage said, “Ladies first. As usual!” The representative walked up to the bowl filled with filly names. “Derpy Hooves!”

Everyone looked over towards Derpy Hooves, who had the look of horrible shock on her face. She lowered her head and started walking towards the stage.

Come on Rainbow Dash, Rainbowdash thought to herself, You can say it. “I volunteer as tribute!” That’s all it takes. She looked over at her father, standing in between the groups of colts and fillies. He gave her a look of disappointment.

“I volunteer!” Rainbow Dash shouted, “I volunteer as tribute!”

“How exciting!” the representative said. The look on Derpy Hooves’ face was filled with such relief. Derpy ran up to Rainbow Dash and thanked her. Then Rainbow Dash walked up on stage. “Goody!” The pony representative then went to the colt’s bowl. She picked out a name, and read, “Big Macintosh!”

Everyone looked at a tall, burly, colt standing in the row closest to the stage. Everyone knew who Big Macintosh was. He was the colt who you’d go to if you needed help with a tough job. And he would be a tough enough competitor in the games. He looked pretty confident, but also somber. The fact that they picked him definitely hurt Rainbow Dash’s chances.

The Reaping of District 6

Applejack walked alone through City Hall. She knew what was about to come, the Reaping. This was the most dreaded of all times in District 6. Not a soul would ever want to do the games. District 6 had never had a volunteer so far, and Applejack knew they never would.

In District 6, the production is anything that is used for travel. The trains that take ponies to the Capitol are all built in District 6. Applejack's two parents were both working to build trains, but they died in an accident, so Applejack was taken care of by none other than Cadence; the representative for District 6. Cadence was her aunt, and Applejack looked up to her.

“Applejack,” Cadence came out from behind a door nearby to where Applejack was standing. Cadence always had a meeting before the games. “Oh honey,” Cadence ran up to her and hugged her strongly, “It’s going to be fine. You’re only fifteen. Your name’s only in there four times, and there’s hundreds of children in District 6.”

“I know,” Applejack responded, tears flowing down her face, “I’m scared. What if one of my friends get picked?”

“Applejack,” Cadence looked down to her and smiled, “You’re always such a compassionate person. But the games are the games, there’s nothing we can do about it. I’m sorry.”

Applejack sniffed sadly in response.

“Now go out there,” Cadence said, “Just because you’re my kid doesn’t mean you can’t go and get ready for the games. You have to.” Cadence gave her an assuring shove in the right direction.

Applejack didn’t want to go. She was scared, and she was lonely. She walked out of City Hall, and out into the courtyard. She got her leg pricked, and she stood in line where she was supposed to. She waited just like everyone else for the ceremony to start. A pony came up to give a speech about why we have the games, and why we watch the games. All this information that everyone already knew.

Then Cadence walked onstage, smiling brightly. “Are you ponies ready for the games?” She shouted energetically. Not a single cheer came out. In fact, there was even a stallion standing out there that shouted boo.

“Boo!” The stallion shouted, “Boo the games! Boo you, Cadence! Boo President Celestia!” Soon, Peacekeepers came and took the man away, but that didn’t stop his shouts.

“Ok,” Cadence said awkwardly, “So… Ladies first!” She perked up again, and reached into the bowl that held all of the names. When she took a name out, and read it, the joy and happiness on her face disappeared. “Applejack,” Cadence whispered into the microphone.

Everypony looked at Applejack when Cadence said this. Applejack quietly drooped her head down, and walked up to the stage. She looked up at Cadence, and Cadence didn’t say a word. What a day, Applejack thought, It couldn’t get much worse now. Could it?

Cadence continued, and reached into the bowl for colts. She read the name listed on it, and shouted, “Dainty Almond!” Dainty Almond? Who the heck was Dainty Almond? Applejack knew she had never seen or heard of this colt before. A blue colt, with a fiery mane walked up to the stage. He didn’t look quite pleased, but he seemed accepting of the games. So who was he? And when did he show up to District 6?

Author's Note:

Oh gosh, what's gonna happen to Rainbowdash and Applejack?! I know, but you don't! The next chapter will be posted soon!