• Published 9th Mar 2012
  • 1,404 Views, 25 Comments

The Drop of A Feather - RAVENous



Raven Quill makes the biggest mistake any thief could make.

  • ...
0
 25
 1,404

Chapter Three - The Prince

My head was spinning as Scootaloo left my room. Wow, I just did that. Damn, I didn’t know I had it in me. What I had just done was dangerous. Professional thieves weren’t supposed to get emotionally involved with other ponies. I knew that, but I could ignore what I felt towards Scootaloo.

Another thing that kept me thinking was that ring. I hadn’t ever seen anything like it before. I have come across some odd things from stealing, but never anything like this. When I held it in my grasp it felt . . . strange. Like it was full of energy and potential waiting to get out. I looked at it one more time.

I lifted it off my desk where I had put the other things. I brought it close to my face again. I watched the spinning rock inside the gem. All it did was float in the middle of the purple rock and spin, yet I was entranced by it. I knew there was something off about the ring. One thing that kept pounding me was that Cheerilee had it. Maybe she had an idea of what it is, or maybe it’s just dumb luck that she had such an object. Either way it’s not like I could have gone and asked her about it.

I decided the only way I’d learn anything about the ring at that moment would be to put it on. I slid the ring onto my horn. For a moment I felt not a difference. The neutralism was short lasted when I felt a burst pound into my head and send me onto the floor. Pain coursed through my body, focusing on the base of my horn. I put my hooves on my head and screamed in pain. I jerked my head in random directions in a primal attempt to rid myself of the pain. I lay on my back as I pounded my rear hooves on the floor. I finally started thinking logically and pulled on the ring with my magic. The ring was putting up a fight to stay on. I finally forced it off.

I lay on the floor feeling the lingering pain. My mind was wasted after using my magic so much and my body was in no condition to move. I couldn’t even go down stairs to get a drink of strong booze to ease my pain. So I lay on the floor with a pounding head ache that prevented me from sleeping. After an hour or so most of the pain had left with the exception of my head ache. The ring lay on the floor.

“Gah, fuck! Stupid fucking ring! Fuck you!” I fell onto my bed after cursing out the inanimate object, if it was inanimate. I was exhausted after everything that happened that night. I shortly after fell asleep.




The next morning I drank five cups of coffee before running to town hall. Scootaloo was probably waiting for me. Wow, I actually cared about being late. I had the ring inside a small pouch around my neck. She was standing next to the fountain when I ran up.

“Hey sorry about being late.” I did something that even I didn’t see coming. I leaned in and gave her a quick kiss. Well, damn.

“I’d say you just made up for being late,” Scootaloo laughed. “So who is this guy we are going to see?”

I really am more amazing than I give myself credit to being. “He buys stolen goods here in Ponyville. He could tell you the price of almost anything from what I hear. I’ve never actually seen him, but I have a bit of a reputation among thieves so we should be able to talk to him. His name is AJ, but everypony calls him The Prince because apparently he always wears a crown. He’s at this pub on the edge of town. It’s a shady place so watch yourself when we go in,” I explained as we walked towards the place. “It’s called The Diamond Dog Pit.”

We walked in silence until we arrived at the place. I pushed open the heavy wooden door to find only about five ponies gathered around a table playing cards and one behind the bar. There was a muscular grey earth pony standing by a door in the back. The bartender looked up at us. “You sure you’re in the right place? Ponies your size don’t usually do too well here.”

I laughed. “I think you’ve mistaken my identity.” I turned and flashed my cutie mark. I knew that would get him. When I wanted ponies to know who they pissed off I generally panted a black feather onto their wall with a drip of ink on the end. Ponies came to know me as Crow from then onward. I didn’t mind that they had mistaken my raven’s feather. In a way it kept my real identity safer. From what I heard, other thieves were the only ponies who had taken the name up for me.

The bartenders expression had changed. He no longer had the same cocky smile as before. “O-oh it’s you. Let me get you a drink.” He pulled out some cider and started to pour it into a cup.

“That won’t be necessary. We’re just here to see The Prince and that’s all.”

The grey earth pony by the door suddenly spoke up, “Nopony sees The Prince without my say so and I’m not sure that you’ve earned the right.”

“Calm down you brute you look like you’ve seen a ghost or something. I’m sure The Prince knows who I am. Just mention Crow to him and I’m sure he’ll let me in.”

The earth pony hesitated before he turned around and went inside the room. I heard muffled voices coming from within. He came back out moments later. “The Prince says he wants to see you, but if you lay one hoof on him you’ll be in half.”

“Sounds like a party in a bottle it you ask me!” I laughed when I walked into the room. A cream colored pegasus sat behind a table. A dinky gold crown sat on his head. The same one was his cutie mark.

“Well if it isn’t the famous Crow! Welcome to my establishment. Sorry if Specter gave you the scare. That’s just what I pay him for. So what did you bring for me to look at?” Damn he was cocky.

I pulled the ring out of my pouch and placed it on the table. “Me and my companion here found this last night when we were raiding a house. It’s powerful as hell. I put it on last night and got some major pain in return.”

The Prince put a magnifying glass on his eye and looked closer at the ring. We waited for a few minutes as he just sat and looked at it. “Well I’ll be honestly with you here Crow. I have no idea what this ring is. You’ve stumped me. Thank you for stabbing me right in my pride. I couldn’t give you a price on how much it’s worth and there’s no way in hell I’m going to buy it. Not if it sends ponies into pain like you say. Dead ponies look bad for a salespony.”

Hearing that news didn’t make me happy. Curiosity burned in my chest. “Well do you have anything I can go on? Anypony I could go to?”

“Actually, now that I think of it, I do. I’ve hear rumors of a unicorn that hangs out in Canterlot. Real smart guy. Knows all about old unicorn magic, but it’s not going to be easy to a chance to talk to him and your name will be of no help to you.”

I was beginning to become anxious. I slammed my hoof down onto the table. “Well who is he!?”

“He’s a magician in the Canterlot Castle. His name is Blade Point.”

My heart sank. The Canterlot Castle. How am I going to get in there? It’s not like I can just go talk to him. No way the guards would let a pony like me in . No, this is going to take some tricky work.

“Well, thanks for the info. It was really nice to meet you, but we both have to go now. Do I owe you anything?” I just realized that I hadn’t even brought any bits.

“I couldn’t, in all good conscience, make you pay. Well I could if you had bits on you, but I know that you don’t, so you can go.”

Scootaloo and I walked out of the pub and into the streets of Ponyville. I looked at her and said, “Well want to go get some lunch? I’m pretty hungry and I think we have some things to talk about.”

“Yeah, sure. Sounds like a great idea.”

We sat down at an outdoor restaurant and ordered our food. “So first things first. Obviously we have become romantically involved.”

Scootaloo blushed, which I had to admit was extremely cute. “You don’t say?” We both laughed.

“Ok, but seriously, are you sure you want to continue on with me? What we’re going into could be extremely dangerous.” I hoped she knew I serious I actually was being.

It bothered me when she responded quickly, “Yes, I’m sure. Danger is my middle name! Besides, I’ve got nothing to lose?”

Two things bothered me about her saying that. Part of me knew it would be safer for me to not get involved with other ponies, but a bigger part of me felt bad. I didn’t want to take her whole life away from her, but a selfish part of me didn’t want her out of my life. I hoped that one day, maybe after this whole ring ordeal. I’d be able to retire. That I’d be able to stop thieving and just become a normal pony. Nothing would make me happier than to have Scootaloo join me and that’s why I did it. I convinced myself that I wouldn’t throw her life away because this was only temporary.

“Well good then! Now here’s the other part. We have to come up with a good plan to get to talk to Blade Point. Now here’s what I was thinking. . .”