• Published 13th Oct 2011
  • 2,368 Views, 20 Comments

Harry Potter: Friendship is Magic - Anisky



Retelling of "Mare in the Moon", if it happened in the Harry Potter universe!

  • ...
7
 20
 2,368

Chapter 1

Harry Potter: Friendship is Magic
Part 1: The Flyer from Death

Author: Anisky
Concept by spikeslashrarity

Description: Hermione Granger is Dumbledore's private student, and she much prefers books to friends. But when she discovers an ancient prophecy predicting that Lord Voldemort will rise in two days, instead of taking action, Professor Dumbledore tells Hermione to supervise the preparations for the End of Term feast- and to make friends?

Disclaimer: I own nothing having to do with My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic or Harry Potter. I am not making money off this in any way and am just writing it for fun!

--

Chapter 1

Once upon a time, in Magical Britain, there was a mentor and his student, who used their magical abilities to create harmony in all the land.

To do this, the older mentor used his powers of protecting and happiness during the day. The younger found his powers were much stronger at night. Thus, the teacher and his pupil maintained balance throughout Britain.

But as time went on, the younger wizard became angry and resentful. He feared Death greatly, and had heard that his mentor knew the secret to becoming the Master of Death. However hard he begged his teacher to tell him how to defeat Death, however, his teacher refused. The teacher said that all beings must die, that it was the natural order of things.

One day, the young student refused to use his powers of night to protect the wizards of Britain. He blamed the Muggleborns for his teacher's refusal to help him escape Death, reasoning that if there were not Muggles in the world who lived and died, then perhaps wizards would not see death as something natural and inevitable. Without Muggles and Muggleborns, he believed, wizards would see the wisdom in becoming immortal.

The elder mentor tried to reason with him, but the bitterness in the young one's heart turned him into an evil Dark Wizard- Lord Voldemort! He vowed that he would rid the Wizarding World of all Muggleborns, and free himself from death.

Reluctantly, the elder mentor harnessed the most powerful magic known to wizards: The Horcruxes of Harmony!

Using the magic of the Horcruxes of Harmony, he defeated his young protege, and banished him to Albania permanently.

The elder teacher took responsibility for both day and night, and Harmony has been maintained in Wizarding Britain ever since.

--

Hermione stared at her book, smoothing out one of the pages distractedly as she thought.

"Hmm, Horcruxes of Harmony," she said slowly. "I know I've heard of those before... but where?"

But no matter how she thought, she couldn't seem to remember the answer. She sighed, and shut her book. The school year had just ended, and her final exams had been finished several days ago, but Hermione always loved to study. Besides, something was telling her that this was important. She had to go to the library to find out more.

Hermione had just finished her third year of magical education. Though she lived and studied at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, she didn't attend classes and live in a House the way most of the students did. Instead, she was Dumbledore's private pupil, and under his tutelage she was set to become one of the most powerful witches in all the world.

Not being in a Hogwarts House made it difficult to socialize, but this suited Hermione Granger perfectly. She would much rather read books than make friends, and being that strange, brainy Muggleborn who didn't attend any of the normal classes or sit at the normal House tables made it easy to avoid everyone who might try befriending her.

She burst into the library, throwing the door open so quickly that it knocked an elf off his feet. Hermione didn't notice him at first, so she called, "Dobby! Dobby?"

Then she spotted him lying on the floor. "Oh, there you are! I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to hit you with the door!"

Back when Hermione had first heard of House Elves, she'd been horrified that Hogwarts used creatures that way- it was like slave labor! She had tried to convince Headmaster Dumbledore to give them wages and vacation, but though her beloved Headmaster was willing, the house elves were insulted by the offer. Hermione had kept trying to free them, until the elves were frightened and resentful of Hermione.

In an attempt to smooth over relations between Hermione and the elves, Dumbledore had assigned Dobby to be her assistant. Dobby was a free elf, who received wages and vacation, so he and Hermione got on very well. She figured that his presence in Hogwarts would show the other elves the benefits of freedom, and Dobby was happy to have a "mistress" who respected him as a free elf.

"It is okay, miss," Dobby said. "Dobby is not being badly hurt."

"Oh, good. Then could you find me that copy of Prophecies of the 20th Century?" Hermione asked.

"Miss is wanting more books?" Dobby asked. "But miss is on a break! Miss has finally completed all her exams!"

Hermione ignored the house elf's point. He knew that she never stopped studying over the summer. What else would she do, if she weren't studying, anyway?

She flew around the library, searching through all the different books. "No, no, no no no!" she exclaimed. She grew increasingly frustrated as she went through the books, but she still placed them carefully back on the shelf when she had looked at them. Books were precious, after all, no matter how angry she was she would treat them with respect!

"The book is here, miss!" cried Dobby.

"Oh, thank you, Dobby!" said Hermione, snatching the book from his outstretched hands. She sat down to flip through it. "Horcruxes, Horcruxes, H, H, H... here it is, the Horcruxes of Harmony. See the 'Flyer from Death'. The Flyer from Death?" Hermione repeated aloud, sounding incredulous. "That sounds like the grim reaper is handing out brochures for the afterlife or something."

Dobby stared at Hermione blankly. "Miss?"

She sighed. "Dobby, have you heard of the Flyer from Death?"

"Yes miss, Dobby has heard of him, but Dobby is told it is just an old witch's tale!"

Hermione frowned and flipped to the index. "It's in Prophecies of the 10th Century. Accio!" She pointed her wand at the book shelf, and the desired book flew towards her. She searched the pages until she found what she was looking for.

"A prophecy, made by the seer Pinkamina Diane in the late 10th century. It's still on file in the Hall of Prophecy, but has never been labeled, as they are still unsure to whom the prophecy refers.

"According to her prediction, the Flyer from Death would be a powerful Dark Wizard who will try to rule Great Britain, but is banished before he succeeds. But, on the longest day of the thirteenth year of his banishment, the stars will align, and a rat will aid in his escape- a rat?" Hermione repeated, blinking in surprise at the page. "Well, the magical world is strange sometimes... a rat will aid in his escape, and he will return to conquer Magical Britain once more."

Hermione gasped as all the pieces came together in her head. "Dobby, do you know what this means?"

"No," Dobby said.

She paced the library as she thought. "I must send a letter to Dumbledore right away!"

"But, is miss sure that is a good idea?" asked Dobby tentatively. "The Headmaster is being very busy now, to prepare for the End of Term Feast."

"That's just it, Dobby! The Flyer from Death must be Lord Voldemort! That's what 'vol de mort' means in French! But the longest day of the thirteenth year... that's the day after tomorrow! We can't wait until after the End of Term Feast, there's not enough time!"

Hermione grabbed her quill and inkwell out of her bag, as well as a piece of parchment, and set about writing to the Headmaster.

My Beloved Teacher (she wrote),

My continuing studies have lead me to discover that we are on the BRINK of DISASTER!

For you see, the ancient prophecy about the Flyer from Death is in fact about Lord Voldemort,

and he's about to return to Great Britain, to conquer the Magical World once more!

Something must be done to make sure that this terribly prophecy DOES NOT come true!

Please reply as soon as possible, it is of the utmost importance!

Your faithful student,

Hermione Granger

She blew lightly on the ink to dry it, then rolled it up. "Come on, Dobby! To the owlery!"

Dobby followed her reluctantly, saying things like, "Is miss sure that this is a good idea?" and "The Headmaster, he is so busy Miss Hermione, is miss sure this cannot wait for a few days?"

"Yes, Dobby, I'm sure! This is important, much more important than the end of term feast!"

"If you say so, Miss," Dobby said doubtfully, as Hermione attached the letter to an owl's leg and sent him off to the headmaster.

"Oh, I'm not worried, Dobby," she assured her assistant. "Professor Dumbledore trusts me completely. In all the years he's been my mentor, he's never once doubted me."

The house elf looked skeptical, but they'd only been waiting a minute when the owl flew back and landed on Hermione's shoulder with a hoot. There was a letter tied to his leg.

"See, Dobby?" Hermione said smugly as she gave the owl a treat and opened the letter. "I knew he would realize the dire nature of this situation."

She lowered her eyes to read the letter.

My dear student Hermione,

You know that I have faith in your marvelous ability and dedication, and that I trust you completely.

But you simply must stop reading those dusty old books!

Hermione gasped and dropped the parchment.

WHAT?!