• Published 20th Nov 2013
  • 1,435 Views, 12 Comments

What if the Rainboom Never Happened? - Cameron Nightshade



What if the Rainboom never happened? Destinies change.... cutie marks change... but how?

  • ...
6
 12
 1,435

Fluttershy

Fluttershy took her place upon the small white cloud, and looked upon Rainbow Dash and her bullies. Rainbow Dash lined up at the starting line, and got in the starting position. Fluttershy looked up, and raised the white flag. Rainbow Dash sped past Fluttershy, spinning Fluttershy off of the cloud.

As Fluttershy fell, she screamed. The fall felt like hours, even though it was mere seconds. Her wings locked up at her sides, something that was commonly found with her scared state.

“HELP!” Fluttershy shouted as she was halfway down to the ground. Nopony was around to hear her call for help. Her scream frightened the animals away from the ground.

As she fell, she saw her life flash before her eyes. Her laughing and playing with Rainbow Dash, her first flight, and a few other things. Tears fell from her face as she fell faster and faster.

Fluttershy crashed onto the ground with a thud. Soft pink hair was strewn across the ground. Small breaths drew from the unconscious Fluttershy.

When she awoke, she was in the Cloudsdale Hospital Centre. As she painfully looked around, she noticed Rainbow Dash sleeping in a chair in the corner.

“R-Rainbow Dash….” Fluttershy struggled to speak.

Rainbow Dash jerked awake. “W-what?! Oh, hey Fluttershy. You took a pretty bad fall 3 days ago. When I finished the race, I looked for you, and since I couldn’t find you in Cloudsdale, I peeked through the clouds, and saw you on the ground. I screamed, and brought the Nurses to you. You scared me so much!” Rainbow Dash commented.

Fluttershy looked at Rainbow Dash in disbelief. “It’s been 3 days?”

“Yeah. I thought you died,” a solemn tear fell down the cyan pegasus’s fur. “Your wing broke, and so did a couple of your ribs. You won’t be able to leave Cloudsdale for the rest of your life. The strain of the different atmosphere on the ground would shatter your bones. I heard you got a job at the Cloud Making Factory. You can stay there, but that’s pretty much all you can do from now on. I’m so sorry, Fluttershy,”

Fluttershy looked at Rainbow Dash. “It’s okay. Maybe I’ll become a bigshot cloud maker,” Fluttershy laughed. With that, she fell back asleep.

Rainbow Dash left Fluttershy to sleep. Tears streamed down her face as she left the Hospital Centre.

A few days later, Fluttershy woke up, and was admitted out of the Hospital, and went back home. After a few weeks up being laid up in bed, and having Rainbow Dash help around the house, Fluttershy finally went to work.

Pegasi looked at Fluttershy as she crossed Cloudsdale. Of course, the news of what happened quickly spread throughout the cloud city. Whispers circled young Fluttershy, and it shocked her. She knew that news spread quickly, but she never expected that it would be this widespread.

When Fluttershy walked into the Cloud Factory, pegasi greeted her warmly. After she had changed into the normal white, cotton work clothes, she walked over to her new station. Cloud making was a precise job, perfect for the keen eye. Recipes for different clouds lay across the station.

Today’s clouds: Cirrus clouds. As Fluttershy looked for the correct recipe, she looked up. A rainbow stretched across the sky, trailing a cyan colored Pegasus. Even though Fluttershy would have loved to go outside and try to fly with Rainbow Dash, she had work to do.

When the work day was over, Fluttershy walked out of the Cloud Factory and saw Rainbow Dash trot over to her.

“Hey, Rainbow Dash. What’s up?” Fluttershy asked.

“I was just wondering how your first day at work was,” Rainbow responded.

“It was actually really good. I’m looking forward to tomorrow. Well, I have to go home. Good evening Rainbow!” Fluttershy skipped on home to her cottage at the edge of Cloudsdale.

Days past, and Fluttershy started to like her job more and more. Each day brought a new challenge of cloud making, and some days were just to make clouds for upcoming days. Fluttershy was part of the ponies who made clouds for Ponyville, the small town centered a little ways behind Cloudsdale. All the pegasi in the Cloud Factory loved Fluttershy, and even though she was shy, she would make a great friend.

Rainbow visited 3 times a week at least to Fluttershy’s cottage. They would talk about the progress over the past few days. Rainbow Dash bade Fluttershy good night.

Weeks past, and Fluttershy started to like her work more and more. She met many great ponies who liked her. Friendships blossomed, and Fluttershy felt like she could live up to doing something with her life.

When Fluttershy first got promoted from Cloud Maker, to Cloud Manager, she was ecstatic. She knew she was good, but very few ponies actually got to be promoted.

As the days passed, Fluttershy loved her work more and more. Pegasi always asked her how she was able to make the clouds so well. All she could do what shrug her shoulders, and say, “I guess I’m just destined to be a cloud maker,” then walk away.

Rainbow Dash sat atop one of the soft puffy clouds in the sky. “I hope Fluttershy is having fun. It’s lame just sitting here all day, waiting for her to get off work,” Rainbow Dash sighed. She missed her friend. But most importantly, she missed flying with her friend, trying to teach her new tricks.

That night, Fluttershy scrambled on home. She had the next day off, and was looking forward to spending her day with Rainbow Dash. So closed the blinds, and crawled into bed. Even though it was really early, she needed all the extra sleep.

The next morning, Fluttershy got out of bed and did her normal routine. Brush mane and tail, brush teeth, take a shower, eat breakfast, then do whatever (on days off. Days with work- go to work, and well, work.) When she left her house, she looked around the sky for Rainbow Dash. “Rainbow Dash?” she said to the air. No rainbows were anywhere.

After a few hours of searching, she gave up the quest to find her friend. She headed back home, very disappointed. The one day she was free, Rainbow Dash was no where to be found. Fluttershy’s tummy rumbled. “Oh gosh. I’ve been so busy, I forgot the time. I better go eat something,” she said to herself. traveling to the kitchen, she noticed a picture of her and Rainbow Dash. She looked at it, turned her head, and kept walking.

After a nice Daffodil sandwich, she felt much better. She noticed that the sun was setting on the horizon, so she decided she should get ready for bed soon. As she brushed her teeth, she saw Rainbow Dash flying not too far away. “Oh. Stho now se hasth time to fwy arownd. But when I want to shpend time wif her, I can’t find her,” Fluttershy said, with a toothbrush and foamy toothpaste in her mouth.

Fluttershy went to bed quite angry. In the morning, however, she felt so much better. She got up, and went to work. Today’s clouds: Cumulus clouds. One of the easiest clouds to make.

Fluttershy looked at her newest clouds in admiration. “The best ones yet, Fluttershy!” ponies said as they crowded around her to see the clouds she made.

A flash of light came from Fluttershy’s flank. “Fluttershy! You got your cutie mark! It’s so pretty!” Amethyst said to Fluttershy.

The pink pegasus looked at her flank. A white puffy cloud stood in the place of nothing just moments ago. “A cloud! Wow. I knew I was good at this, but I never thought it would be my destiny!” Fluttershy yelled. Jumping up and down, and squealing, she was so happy. When the work day was over, she would be sure to go and find Rainbow Dash, and show her the new cutie mark on her flank.

Author's Note:

So this is the story of how Fluttershy got her cutie mark. I really don't know how often I will be updating this, only because of schoolwork, and chapter sizes, and figuring out what cutie marks the ponies should get. But, I hope you like it, and if you dislike it, please tell me why you disliked it, and what I should do in future chapters to make the story more enjoyable! Thanks!