• Published 14th Nov 2013
  • 6,358 Views, 104 Comments

The Human - StapleCactus



A new threat has arrived in Equestria, but the Elements are retired and only a few bearers even remain. Then again, is a rude and inconsiderate being nopony has seen before really considered a threat?

  • ...
24
 104
 6,358

Impossible

Spike stood at the entrance of the crystal tree, waving Sweetie Belle farewell with a strained smile. It was kind of her to stop by, but it had taken nearly two hours before she believed he was fine. His run-in with the creature left him no worse for wear, other than a splitting headache that was just on its way out when she came screaming towards his home. One thing was certain, he thought, she still had a good set of lungs.

Sighing in relief, he slouched onto his forearms—Or was it forelegs? He and Twilight still had issues sorting out the proper terminology some days—and slipped back into the foyer. He started getting into the habit after hitting his head one too many times on smaller entrances, and he was just standing up to shut the door when he heard a voice calling from the distance. A short glance over his shoulder revealed a pegasus rapidly approaching from the Everfree.

“Another visitor? Oh, be still, my aching brain,” Spike muttered before turning to await their arrival. In the seconds it took for the pony to be discernible, an orange pegasus who could only be Scootaloo if their flying style was any indication, he realized his previous statement didn’t make sense. Brains aren’t known for moving around, after all.

“Spike!” the pony called as she flared her wings into a stall, only to immediately cringe and twist them back into a glide. He watched her eyes widen, no doubt realizing her now imminent crash course, before rolling his eyes and stepping through the entrance once more. “Help!”

“Yeah, yeah, I got ya,” Spike grumbled, stretching his arms out and to the side like a wide receiver waiting on a hail mary pass. In one swift motion, she sailed between his claws as he gently closed the gap between them and spun to bleed off her momentum. As an extra finish to his catch, Spike flipped her into a cradle his arms formed. “Better?” he asked with a smirk.

A faint blush erupted on her cheeks, but she shook it off. “Now’s not the time, Spike! Chase is in trouble,” she said as she tried to shuffle out of his hold. Once he helped her to the ground, she continued. “Where’s Twilight?”

“Wait, wait. Ignoring the fact I haven’t seen Twilight since she left for Canterlot, what was this about somepony in trouble? Who’s Chase?”

“Twilight’s not here? Oh, no, where is she?” Scootaloo whipped her head side to side, her eyes scanning the horizon. “If we don’t hurry, he could get hurt. If he gets hurt, he could die, because we wouldn’t have any way to heal him. If he dies—”

“Scoots, calm down!” Spike yelled, stunning the mare long enough for him to get a few more words out. “Who. Is. Chase?”

She tilted her head at him before her jaw fell open in realization. “Oh, that’s right, you were unconscious—”

“Don’t remind me.”

“—and don’t know what happened.” Scootaloo took a deep breath. “So after you were defeated by the creature at the funeral, Princess Celestia stepped forward to stop him, but he shrugged it off and went to leave, but before he did that, he told us his name was Chase, and also something about a ‘human’, but it’s hard to say for sure what he meant by that. We eventually decided he meant that was what his species or race or whatever is called, but we couldn’t think of anything else that would fall into a category like his to compare names, so it’s still a fifty-fifty on that.”

Spike felt his migraine coming back again. Rubbing his temples with a claw, he said, “Okay, so Chase is the thing that attacked during the funeral, and he’s in trouble, and you want to help him because…?”

“It doesn’t matter. I need to find Twilight and get back to the forest or he’ll be bear paste!” Scootaloo yelled, dancing on her hooves as she started searching for anywhere the princess might be.

“Bear paste? He’s being attacked by a bear? He took me out, Scootaloo. I don’t think a bear is going to give him any trouble.”

“Not just any bear! An Ursa Minor!”

Spike raised a claw and opened his mouth for another retort, but then thought better of it and lowered his hand. “Okay, that might be a problem.”

“Obviously! Now help me find Twilight before it’s too late!”

“And I want to help this ‘Chase’ because…?”

“Because he could die!”

“And that’s a problem because…?”

“SPIKE!”

“Ugh, fine, fine. I’ll deal with the Ursa.”

“You?”

“Yeah, I know how to deal to them. Go ahead and find Twilight. I’ll make sure he doesn’t get hurt…” Spike turned towards the forest and flared his wings. “...much,” he finished before flapping hard enough to stir up dust and send Scootaloo staggering. On his third flex, he began lifting off the ground and moving forward.

“Please hurry,” she called as he slowly accelerated towards the tree-line. Just as the winds of his flying started dying down, she turned and ran into Ponyville proper.

Spike was glad for the training Rainbow Dash gave him when he finally sprouted wings. Thinking back, he was sure flying into the Everfree Forest would have thrown him for a loop in the early years. As it was, he didn’t have much trouble adjusting his larger wingspan for the thermals over Ponyville, then the calm stillness of the forest when he entered above it.

Rainbow took some adjusting, both herself to his unique wing structure and him to her interesting training style. Spike remembered days when she’d forget who she was teaching and tell him to adjust his primaries a certain way, or to bend his wings at an impossible angle. Then there were days when she’d get frustrated at his lack of progress and just expect him to figure it out as she slowly flapped in the air, snorting in annoyance when he copied her and nothing happened. They both had a breakthrough one day when he flopped painfully into the dirt, a fall that wouldn’t have happened if Rainbow hadn’t somehow managed to carry him up to the cloud layer and drop him.

Shaking off the memory, Spike scanned the treetops for any sign of the Ursa, or maybe the ‘human’ flying through the air hilariously after a good swat from said star bear. No such thing happened, however, and he was stuck holding himself in the stale air. He realized he forgot to ask Scootaloo where to go after a few minutes of circling, but also knew going back to ask would be a pointless effort.

A sharp cry of pain echoed over the treetops, just as a roar reached Spike’s hearing. It was hard to pinpoint their exact locations, but he guessed the clearing to the west of him was the right choice. Flexing his body, his wings followed suit and steered him into a dive directly towards it. In seconds, the ancient castle of the forest appeared before him, the Ursa stomping around on the ridge just before it. Unfortunately, there was no sign of Chase.

Spike banked into a glide, intending to land behind the beast and prepare himself, but froze as it roared again and looked right at him. Movement in the bushes drew Spike’s attention however, and Chase stumbled out using a warped sword as a cane. He had scratches covering his body, some deep enough for blood to slowly pool beneath him as he caught his breath. His jacket was missing, but his pants were in tatters. He glanced at Spike.

“This is my fight, dragon,” he called before straightening his back and spread his feet. The human’s voice caused the Ursa to turn back to its original foe, a growl of pure hate emanating from it. Chase took a deep breath, letting it out slowly before returning the growl. “Round three, bastard,” the human shot back as he adjusted his stance.

“Chase, stop!” Spike yelled, but the bear was sufficiently taunted and lunged. He watched as Chase dodged a paw and brought his sword up in the opening the attack caused, only to be flung back by the other. The sickening crack of his body slamming into a tree brought a wince to Spike’s face, then a look of horror as the human’s sword embedded itself in the tree as well, straight through Chase’s abdomen.

The scream of agony snapped Spike out of it long enough to drop from the sky, landing with earth-shattering force in front of the Ursa Minor. “Enough!” he yelled, calling on his training with Fluttershy and speaking to the bear’s soul. It halted its advance and let out another growl at the new arrival. “I don’t want to hear it, Ursa.” His voice took on the edge of a chastising parent, but he drew on his own power to force the bear to feel afraid.

Spike stood on his hind legs and stomped towards it, trying his best to look down on the beast even though it stood taller than him. “Do you think you’re strong? That you can do whatever you want, just because you’re big? Well, I have news for you.” He stopped when he could be considered nose to nose with the Ursa, letting the words sink in for a moment. “You are horrible for hurting this creature. I’ll have to tell your mother about this.”

At those words, the bear slunk down completely and whined. “I don’t care if he attacked you. I heard you started it by rampaging through this area, and I’m sure he was just protecting the pony with him.” Another whine. “If you’re sorry, I’ll let you go. This time.” A grumbling noise escaped the beasts throat before it ran off into the forest. Spike waited a few minutes before sighing and letting his intimidating aura dissipate.

“Chase!” he exclaimed, turning to see the human still pinned to the tree with his eyes closed. He started forwards when a thought occurred to him. This was the creature that attacked him at the funeral, and he had no loyalties to it. Surely, he could let nature take its course, and nopony would fault him for being too late to save… him. As quickly as the thought arrived, it was defeated. Spike couldn’t think of Chase as a creature, or an ‘it’ now. And if he couldn’t do that, he couldn’t let him die. He grunted in annoyed acceptance, then continued towards the human.

“Gah!” Chase screamed as his eyes shot open, causing Spike to stumbled back in shock. “Aaah, damn, this hurts!” He looked down at his impaled sword and the blood pooling beneath him before grunting. “Why am I not dead, yet? Stupid rules…” he mumbled before grasping the hilt and twisting, flinching as the blade shattered inside him and more blood seeped out. “Stupid sword. Stupid subpar forging. Stupid dull blade.” He continued to curse this and that as he pulled himself off the remaining metal. Falling on his hands and knees, he grunted in pain, still cursing but somehow lifting himself up.

“How…” was all Spike could manage, which caused the human to look at him. He snapped a branch off the tree and leaned against it, then scowled.

“What part of “my fight” didn’t you understand, dragon?”

The question stunned Spike. Didn’t he know he was going to die? For that matter, how is he not dead? What in Equestria is a human, and how is he even standing with that wound?

“Feh,” Chase said when he saw no answer forthcoming, then started towards the bridge. With the claw marks on the ground and shattered wood chippings, it was surprising the structure was still in usable condition, but the rough terrain didn’t help the human stumbling forward.

Spike’s senses returned to him just as Chase passed him. The earlier question angered him, the disrespecting tone not sitting well with him. “Wait just a minute,” he ordered. The human didn’t stop or say a word, but did turn his gaze towards him. The action only irritated him further.“‘Your fight’? In case you didn’t notice, you were just impaled by your own sword. If I didn’t step in, you would have died! A little gratitude would be welcome.”

“Yeah, not happening,” Chase replied and turned his sights on the dilapidated castle.

“What is your deal?!” Spike demanded as he shuffled after him. “How are you even walking? What are you, and what are you doing in Equestria? You don’t even seem to care if you die! Explain yourself!”

The human stiffened, glared at Spike, and threw his stick into the ravine. “Maybe I want to die,” he said before stepping on the bridge. His steps were solid, his limp gone, with no signs of injury. Spike strained his ears to hear when Chase mumbled under his breath. “Maybe this time will be permanent.”

The slamming of oak doors ended the any chance of continuing the conversation when he crossed the threshold of the castle.

Author's Note:

I asked Enfan to let me know what he thought of the chapter so far when I paused for sleep. This is what he wrote after Spike found the Ursa:

“I haven’t a clue what to write here, rather though I think that should a situation come along where, hypothetically speaking, N64Fan read up to this point he might offer me some advice. However I know somewhat in my mind that he is far too immature for that, and rather he would relegate himself to writing an extensive paragraph about nothing. Still though, I think I should hope for the best, just in case he decides to actually be a good hearted editor and not a troll.

I’m hijacking your story Staple, mwhahaa.

Chase was a fool, though fast on his feet.
So fast, in fact, that he couldn’t be beat.
Ponies and dragons would race against him,
But his pace was too fast, his form too slim.

He belonged in a human in equestria story,
A story that, to my joy, wasn’t that gory.
Staple’s good with writing, believe or not.
Though won’t believe that and his temper gets hot.

Regardless of writing, his grammar is great.
His stories, entralling, to say only the small.
His words rub him wrong, create too much heat.
And he ignores the gnaw with it’s twisted cat call.

I’d show him he’s good, but he won’t see what’s clear.
That the fans of his work sit back and they cheer.”


We have a lot of fun in the docs.

Now then, I can see some people going "OH MAN, HE'S SO OP NOW!" because Chase recovered so quickly. I have a plan, and let it be known he isn't recovered. The next chapter will start off immediately after this one, and I think I'll write it now... Hah, we'll see if I can get it done fast. Also, sorry for the near 1-year delay here.