• Published 10th Nov 2013
  • 431 Views, 9 Comments

The Story of Sun Drifter - SunDrifter



A story of a lonely and heart torn pegasus that forgotten after his sweet words had finished only to be rescued by the kindness of a stranger.

  • ...
4
 9
 431

A Healthy New Start

Chapter 4

A Healthy New Start

“Miss Doo, we will need those gowns back now.” One of the nurses said to the overjoyed pegasus. She gleefully gave the gowns she had worn at the hospital with a gentle smile and nod.

It had been three long months of waiting. In that time Sun Drifter’s wing had healed up from its broken and useless state and was again ready and eager to continue his cloud placement and his job. Blazing Furnace was relieved that not only he didn’t have to do the cloud placement again, but his friend was yet again healthy. Along with Sun Drifter, another pony has managed to heal up as well. Ditzy had healed enough to leave the hospital; just in time for a special day.

“Thank you ma’am, you two have a great Hearts and Hooves day now.” The nurse told them smiling at the excited couple.

“We will!” Ditzy and Sun said as they left, waving to the nurse.

Taking a deep breath Ditzy said “It feels so good to be outside again, very refreshing! I will never understand why they kept leaving me all those magazines. I didn’t like a single one of them. So where are you taking me Sun?” Ditzy asked with a sweet smile.

“I was thinking the park.”

“You really like that park.”

“Well its one of the places I know best. I had spent a lot of time there.” Sun Drifter said with a quivering tone as he was on the brink of tears. Having to remember the hours he spent each night for months crying in the trees, on the benches, and grass plains was almost too much for the blue pegasus.

Then he remembered the night Ditzy approached him. Those warm apple green eyes looking at him, understanding him, and saving him from the pain. He looked at Ditzy, seeing what others did not. I saw a beautiful and thoughtful mare where others saw a stupid mare, all because of her eyes and clumsiness.

Ditzy hadn’t noticed him starting to tear up as she was humming a small tune to herself. The park entrance was coming to a near. With every crunch of dirt under their hooves softening as they neared the grassy park, Sun looked to Ditzy with thoughts of love coursing through his mind. Thoughts of their first kiss, of the night they met, and nights where they watch the sunset.

Ditzy turned after they had entered under the metal arch of the park and saw Sun looking at her with a passionate stare; eyes burn of a flaming love like none ever seen before. “Sun, why are you looking at me…. Whoa!”

Sun leaped on to Ditzy kissing her with his hooves holding her closer than fire to the sun. As they shared the kiss, Sun pulled Ditzy down as he fell onto the ground. As two lovers released from their electrifying kiss, they readjusted to a more comfortable position on the grass under a thick oak tree. “It looks like it was you who knocked me down this time.” Ditzy said giggling at the fact.

“I know. I’m gonna steal your job of it.” Sun said teasingly. So are you ready for the surprise?”

“Wait what? You never said anything about a surprise.”

“I didn’t? Oh never mind. I will take you to it after we finish our picnic.” Sun Drifter said as he took out a basket hidden in a hole of a tree trunk. “Let’s eat!”

“What’s the surprise Sun? I want to know!”Ditzy said in a whining tone.

“You’ll see it soon enough and why would I spoil the surprise?”Sun began to unload the picnic basket laying out the blanket, muffins, and apple cider. “Have some muffins before I eat them all.” Sun Drifter teased.

“Oh no, you don’t! No pony messes with my muffins! Come here sweetie pies.” Ditzy said grabbing all the muffins in her hooves.

Sun Drifter chuckled wholeheartedly as she struggled to keep all the muffins from falling out her hooves. Sun rose to his hooves and sliding the basket to Ditzy saying “Get up Ditzy. Put your muffins in the basket. We’re going to have a dance!”

“What? There isn’t any music though.”Ditzy said as she dumped her hoof full of muffins into the basket.

Sun pointed out to the entrance of the park waving to three musicians over to them. As they made their way over holding a cello, violin, and saxophone, Ditzy looked at Sun Drifter and said “You know I can’t dance Sun.”

“It will be fun. Follow my lead and you’ll be fine. Alright Octavia, start them off now please.”

“Yes Mr. Drifter, from the top ladies.”

As they began, Sun held his hoof out to Ditzy. Taking a hold of her closely, he led her steps making sure she didn’t fall. “One, two, three, four. One, two, three, four. There you go! You’re getting it! And a one, two, three, four.”

One hour later

“Thank you three so much for playing. I’m surprised you weren’t fully booked for today. Here are your bits.” Sun said handing each pony a small, but weighted pouch.

“It was our pleasure sir and that happens when you book us two months in advance. You have a thoughtful one Miss Doo.” Octavia said pointing her cello bow at Sun.

“I know. He’s so amazing!” Ditzy said blushing.

Octavia chuckled and said, “Well we have another client to play for. You two enjoy the rest of your day.”

“Goodbye and thanks again!”

Ditzy looked at Sun Drifter and pulled him close kissing him intensely. “Sun, I want to ask you something. It’s important.”

“Of course Ditzy, what is it?”

“Can we see the big surprise now?”

Sun chuckled as he set off in down a dirt path saying “Yes we can see it now. Follow me.”

“What’s the big the surprise? Is it a ton of muffins in the shape of a heart?”

“No.”

“Is it a new dress?”

“No. I thought you hated dresses.”

“I do, but it’s still a guess.”

They walked the dirt path for several minutes trailing into a plain like area near the edge of Ponyville. Sun was carrying the basket as Ditzy chomped down on one of her many muffins. Her face glowed brighter and brighter after each bite of the sweet and moist muffin.

“We’re here.” Sun said cheerfully as he slid a key into a cottages doorknob.

“You didn’t.”

“But I did and somepony else is also here to say hi.”

As he opened the door a small filly was in the middle of the room coloring in a book. She turned and saw the two ponies standing in the door frame.

“Ditzy! I missed you so much. I’m so happy to see you again!” Dinky said as she ran and hugged the tearing mare.

Sun looked at Ditzy and saw the expression over her face. Confused at the fact, he walked closer to her asking “What’s wrong Ditzy? I thought you would be happy.”

“I am happy. These are tears of joy. I have never been so happy before in my entire life. Thank you, Sun Drifter. Thank you one thousand times over. You have shown me more kindness than I had ever thought was possible. Just thank you so much!” Ditzy Doo said as she leaped into his hooves, crying on his shoulder. As he felt the salty tears of joy run down his neck and back, Dinky began to approach the delighted couple.

“Thank you too Sun Drifter. It means a ton.” Dinky interjected, unsure if she had chosen a good time to speak.

“The pleasure was all mine you sweethearts. You two deserve it.”

“Sun Drifter. I need you to know this. I love you with all my heart and never want you to leave.”

“I - I love you too Ditzy Doo.”

Sun was overjoyed to hear this. It was the first time she had said those three words, those three special words. He returned those words with a smile bigger than Pinkie Pie’s and beamed brighter than Celestia’s sun. Hearing those words, he was positive that he would never be alone again. He spent years all alone, but now he won’t have to relive that pain.

Still being held by Ditzy, he turned to Dinky and said “I had Dinky make a family meal. Could you set the table Dinky?”

“I already did. I did it while you were gone.” Dinky announced proudly.

“Thank you sweetheart. Let’s get to eating now. I’m starving.” Sun said as he pulled a chair out for Ditzy after whipping her tears away.

“Thank you Sun. It means so much to be here with you two.” Ditzy said as she looked at the flower soup that Dinky had placed in front of her.

“It the least I could do for you both. Dinky, I need to find out who thought you to cook and get lessons.” Sun said filling his mouth up of the soup.

“You’re as modest as always Sun.” Ditzy said with a heartfelt grin crossing her muzzle.

As Dinky finished her bowl, she looked at the two pegasus sitting side by side and asked “This will sound really weird to ask, but can I call you mommy and daddy? Since you are going to be doing mommy and daddy stuff, I wanted to know.”

Sun and Ditzy were taken away with the request as a joy filled smile crossed over there face. They turned to each other and nodded. “Of course you can Dinky.” Ditzy said with a shutter as she was about to break down into tears of joy all over again.

Dinky rose from her seat and ran over the two pegasus leaving there seats to meet the delighted filly. “I love you so much mommy and daddy.”

Sun busted into tears at this. “I’m an actual father now? I have always wanted to have a child and now, I have an entirely complete family. I never thought this day would come. I love you two so much!” Sun said as he kissed Dinky on the forehead and Ditzy on the lips.

“Ewwwww. You two are icky!” Dinky said as she covered her eyes with her little hooves.

“Now now Sun, not in front of Dinky.” Ditzy said placing her hoof around Dinky, holding her close.

“My bad dear, I’m just so excited over all of this.”

“I saw a swing in the back while I was exploring. Can you push me daddy?” Dinky said pointing at one of the windows to the backyard.

Sun Drifter noticed the sun was beginning to get low and a thought came to his mind.

“Of course I can. Come on Ditzy.” Sun said as he rose up with Ditzy by his side. “Afterwards though, I have something really special that I want to show you tonight Dinky.”