• Published 7th Mar 2012
  • 1,193 Views, 6 Comments

An Angel Among Ponies - thunderclap



Grant Walker used to kill Angels, now he has to work with a few ponies to get himself back home

  • ...
9
 6
 1,193

Fallen Angel

Well, how do I start off this little side story of mine. Ah I know; let me be the first on congratulating you on finding the story I never wanted anyone to see. If you sought out this story because you saw my other adventures that I’ve written then no introductions are necessary. However, if you just randomly found this story out of pure dumb luck then let me take a moment to give you a rundown.

My name is Grant Walker. I’m sixteen years old. My interests include: reading, hanging out with my friends....

…And working with an organization called the Clergy in an attempt to put a stop to the Angels and Demons that created humans to fight for them.

I may have gotten ahead of myself there for a moment. Allow me to explain. In the beginning God created Angels and Demons. Heaven and Hell are very real places. God also created something like an anchor that would hold together the two planes of existence. That place was our world. The three worlds are connected by a thin dimensional bridge. Beyond that bridge is a strange material that we in the Clergy call the Rift. The Rift is actually what created all three worlds to begin with. Angels and Demons are all born with the ability to manipulate this material in some way or another.

At first there was peace between the Angels and Demons and our world was something like a little paradise for them. Then war broke out somehow, no text can agree on how it started or by whom, but we know that it started; which is evident from us still fighting in that very war even today. The war lasted an incredibly long time and eventually both Angels and Demons were on the verge of extinction. They agreed to a ceasefire and decided to make a middleman to fight for them; that middleman being humanity. The Angel and Demon capable of creating life (which is normally impossible, unless you count unicellular, but I don’t.) worked on creating a large army to continue on with the fight for them.

The reason humans never seem to be in a state of peace for more than two seconds is because we’re constantly being forced into a conflict for the Angels and Demons to make bets on. And sometimes it’s because humans just want to fight humans but it’s mostly the first thing. Anyway, getting back on track humanity fought for a while and eventually a few of us learned that we could manipulate the Rift too. However, only a very small percentage of us can as compared to the entire population of Angels and Demons.

Our saving grace is that we breed at a much faster rate than they do which means the number of humans that can manipulate the Rift just about balances out with the Angel and Demon population. The first few humans started the rebellion against the Angels and Demons and became the organization that is now known as the Clergy. Currently there are about ten million members of the Clergy all with varying ages and level of expertise.

You may be asking where God went in the story. No one really knows, some say he was killed, while others say he just disappeared. I personally don’t care. I’m not one to worry about the specifics of history when the fate of my entire species is in danger. The other question you may be asking is how a sixteen year old kid fits into all of this.

Again, if you’re already familiar with my other adventures then you know the answer to this all too well. To those of you that aren’t, I give you my life in a nutshell. Ever since I was a kid I always thought there was something wrong with me. I was right of course and when I was eight I experienced my first Angel encounter. The whole thing ended tragically and I learned that I was half Angel. When I was twelve I was sent to the Clergy Academy, a secret school located in Germany to train my ability to manipulate the Rift. I progressed at an astonishing rate and graduated from my class as the valedictorian.

I was told to patrol London in case of any Angel or Demon attack or any other thing that could possibly go wrong. I was also given the occasional mission from the Clergy every now and then. My first mission was rather uneventful, all I had to do was, sneak into a large office building full of Demons, steal some important information, and find a way to kill all the Demons. My second mission for the Clergy is what made a real difference in my life. I had to find a seal that held an unknown entity in it and prevent it from falling into the hands of a rogue group of humans that were bent on using the being inside of the seal to take over the world. At the end of the mission my Angelic half went out of control and most of the rogue humans wound up dead.

Most of my time after that was spent finding a way to control my Angel half. I succeeded of course and now I have to find a way to help humanity win the war against the Angels and Demons once and for all, which is where this particular story begins.

Everything started out normal enough. I was looking for a way into Heaven to see if I could find out the Angels’ plan to wipe out humanity so I could counter it, and that’s when things got weird.

“What the hell is Michael planning?!” I screamed at the Angel in front of me as we fell through the dimensional bridge between Heaven and Earth.

The Angel looked at me with the blank, glowing eyes that all Angels have. His marble-like, light emitting features seemed even brighter in the strange void.

“The Leader’s plans are not for your ears.” The Angel answered in a hollow tone.

‘Figures, the one time I actually want one of the higher ranked Angels to be near me and I’m stuck dealing with a drone.’ I thought bitterly.

Michael has his army set up so that all low ranking members are nothing more than brainwashed pawns by using his abilities on them. If they prove themselves worthy, then they can get their freewill back and help him with his strategies. At that point the payoff is so good that most just accept the offer. That and the other option is death makes the deal a little more tempting. I had learned all of this from my last trip into Heaven. I had narrowly escaped thanks to the help of an Angel named Ezekiel who is now dead for helping me.

The trip gave me a little appreciation of Angel society and changed my priorities. I no longer had to kill every single Angel, just the ones in charge. That being said this was still a war and if I had to kill a young Angel that had gotten swept up in the propaganda against humanity and was now little more than a living weapon, then so be it.

I was thoroughly pissed at my impromptu guide for being so useless, and launched into action. I brought myself over him and hit him with an expertly crafted ax kick, using the Rift to give my muscle mass a proficient boost as my black combat boot came into contact with the Angel’s face. He fell onto one of the walls of the dimensional gap and regained his footing quicker than I had thought he would. He sprung up from the wall and caught me in a high speed tackle. He gripped at my torso with the power of a steel vice and I grinned as he did so.

“Well, well, well, looks like this dog knows a few tricks.” And just like that I broke free from the Angel’s grasp and smashed my fist into the Angel’s abdomen. “Too bad for you you’re still hopelessly outmatched.”

Then the Angel did something I had never seen before. It brought out a strange vial that it had concealed from me somehow and drank the viscous, green liquid that was inside of it. All of a sudden the light that was surrounding him became much brighter and the energy he was pulling in nearly tripled. I didn’t have time to be surprised as he tackled me again and slammed me into the wall of the dimensional gap. The wall felt strangely like Jell-O as my face slid down it, but I’d have to save that nice little piece of information for later.

I increased the amount of Rift that I was drawing into my limbs and broke free again. The Angel was stunned for a moment and I used that as an opportunity to charge him. I launched myself off the dimensional wall opposite the Angel and rotated my body a few times before delivering a devastating kick that sent him into the dimensional wall. In an instant my vision was filled with an eerie red light and the next thing I knew I could feel the dimensional wall give way causing me to fall directly into the Rift.

I had to act fast; unlike the gap between the three worlds the Rift doesn’t have air in it. Okay technically it does but it’s not breathable when it’s in the form of the Rift. The incredible force of the swirling mass was pulling me in every direction at once which made what I was doing a little harder. I calmed my racing thoughts down and a moment later a white aura surrounded me and when it died down I was in my Angel form. When I’m in this form I don’t need oxygen so I could finally stop holding my breath. I tried to force myself to move in a particular direction but I was at the Rift’s mercy. The irony of the situation hit me at that moment. The thing that had saved my life countless times in the past may very well be the instrument of my death. My muscles relaxed and a strange sense of tranquility washed over me as I accepted whatever fate the Rift was going to give me.

“Hey Mom, set a place at the table for me, looks like I’ll be home for dinner.” I said slowly before I lost consciousness.

Twilight was in the middle of studying different forms of transformation magic when the sky suddenly turned dark. This was strange to her because it was still the middle of the day and the weather team wasn’t scheduled to make a storm for at least a week. The purple unicorn walked over to her window to see something that shocked her. A faint black figure was falling out of the sky and was headed straight toward the Everfree Forest. And as the figure disappeared from sight below the canopy of trees, the sky returned to its normal color.

“Oh no, somepony might be hurt!” Twilight cried. But the woods were too dangerous for her to go in by herself. She would need help. Twilight was bathed in a purple light and vanished from the library in pursuit of her friends.

My mind started back up again and I still wasn’t sure if I was alive or dead.

‘Nice going there, jackass.’ Said a surly voice in my head. And just like that I knew I was alive.
“Glad to see you’re okay too, Gabriel.” I replied, opening my eyes to see that I was in a strange, marshy area in the middle of a dark forest.

Gabriel is the name of the manifestation of the Angel half of me. He sprang into existence after years of feeding off of my negative emotions and exposure to other Angels. We had a little spat concerning who would have control of my body. We eventually came to an agreement and we normally get along, kind of.

‘You should’ve taken that fight more seriously; otherwise we wouldn’t be in this mess right now.” He chastised.

“What are you talking about? We’re alive, and we seem to be back home, albeit in a strange place.”

‘You can be so daft sometimes. We’re nowhere near home, take a look around.’

I did as I was told and noticed that Gabriel was right, at first glance the forest looked like any other would back home. Then I noticed some strange, otherworldly plants poking out of the ground every now and then.

“Looks like we’ve fallen into another universe, or something.” I stated calmly, noticing a strange taste in the air, it was almost sweet and full of some sort of energy.

‘How can you be so calm in a situation like this?!’ Gabriel hissed at me in my thoughts ‘We’re who knows how far away from home and, we don’t even have the foggiest idea on how or if we can return.’

“For one thing we’re alive that’s what’s really important. Two, if we got into this world then I’m sure we can get back. All we need is time, and maybe the people here will know of a way to get us back.” I reasoned, with a grin on my face.
Then I heard a loud, guttural growl coming from the murky pond behind me. In a matter of moments a large figure was looming over me.

‘What was that you were saying about people helping us?’

“Come on, you know you wanted a good fight, and this thing looks like a good warm-up.”

Twilight and her friends were standing at the edge of the Everfree Forest with her friends by her side.

“Does everypony know the plan?” Twilight asked nervously.

“For the tenth time yes!” Rainbow Dash huffed, hovering impatiently.

“Umm… Twilight,” Fluttershy said nervously. “…maybe I, I should stay here?” She suggested backing away a little.

“You can’t, I think I saw somepony fall from the sky and if that’s true then they might be hurt.” Twilight said, worried.

“Oh, if somepony’s hurt then we must go, we simply must!” Fluttershy said with renewed energy.

“Yeah, and when they’re all better I can throw them a huge PARTY!” Pinkie Pie exclaimed, bouncing up and down with her usual bubbly personality.

All of a sudden the six ponies were thrown off guard by a large roar emanating from the forest followed closely by.

“Come get some, Scaly!”

“Looks like somepony’s in trouble!” Applejack said in her southern drawl.

“Come on Girls! It looks like we don’t have a moment to lose!” Twilight exclaimed as they all rushed into the forest to help whoever was in danger.