• Published 20th Mar 2014
  • 5,107 Views, 43 Comments

Lightspeed Rescue - Magenta Cat



In a world changing at an alarming rate both technologically and culturally like Equus is doing, Celestia and Luna decide that is time for being more proactive. Next time something bad happens, they will be prepared.

  • ...
5
 43
 5,107

Lightspeed Rescue #1. Protect and save.

-Cover concept:

First plane of Celestia's left side of her face in the right side of the cover and Luna's right side on the left. A blue and white background with motion lines going from the center where the Lightspeed logo is placed. At the lower part, the silhouettes of a armored unicorn, a Wonderbolt and a Night Guard.

***

FIMFiction (not so) proudly presents:
In a world changing at an alarming rate both technologically and culturally like Equus is doing, Celestia and Luna decide that is time for being more proactive. Next time a villain or a disaster strikes Equestria or any other part of the world they will not just wait for the best to happen, now they will be prepared. Welcome to a new age in protection. Welcome to...

Lightspeed Rescue
in
The beginning of tomorrow.

Written and (poorly) edited by Wave 'I hate my internet connection' Blaster.
Creative consult by 5thWriter 'his story is bigger'.
My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic created by Lauren Faust (and others I suppose).
Based on concepts from almost everywhere.
Copyrights lololol.

***

-Canterlot, Royal Palace. Two weeks after the return of the Crystal Empire.

The Royal Palace was an imposing sight for everyone on Canterlot. Every single visitor always gazed in awe at the majesty of the building, no exceptions. Ordered by Celestia in person, after the disappearance of her sister and the fall of the first Royal Castle, it was designed by Bricklayer Freedom. Following the Princess instructions, it was made not only as a residence for the government center but also to assemble a place of refuge that ponies from everywhere could see as a home. To remind herself and everypony else that nopony should be left behind.

A thousand years later, Luna meet a place that welcomed her as a home. Even as white and gold were predominant in the outside view, Celestia surprised her sister with a whole wing dedicated to the night and the stars. It was sealed as soon as it was finished, only to be opened by its real owner. A promise of hope to see the real Princess of the Night coming back and opening it.

In the Night Chambers, two alicorns fought a silent war.

"Black queen's knight to second pawn." Announced the Princess of the day. As the ultimate irony, and against the common belief that chess was to recreate the war between day and night, Celestia always was more reactive than Luna so she always choose the black side, in standby or the white one to make the first move, which was exactly Luna's regular approach. Like day and night, always complimenting each other.

"You know sister, I've been thinking about a very important subject." She secured her bishop with a tower behind it. That was another difference, where Celestia was more talkative and openly talking her mooves, Luna was more fond to keep her snout shut and let her actions speak. But this time Luna knew that she needed to say what was on her mind. "Our defense is a little outdated." Celestia advanced her knight. "We are being to dependent on the Elements. Sombra was too close from winning."

"Nonsense, Twilight and her friends managed to save the crystal ponies and now we got a powerful ally in the Empire."

"You know that's not true, we got lucky that at least the dragon, Spike, was smart enough to not let a pony walk alone into a castle full of traps." She placed the king's knight ready to attack the queen. "And how did Sombra managed to get free in first place? You know that passing the Elements to new bearers is not enough to weak the seals made by them. The same goes for Discord." Celestia retreated her king's tower to protect the king.

"Your point?"

"My point is that every week we seem to be in some kind of danger and every month is the end of life a we know it in one way or another." Luna just advanced a pawn. "And not only the evils from the past, also the world has brought new kinds of evil that weren't here a thousand years ago. Never in my life I've heard about changelings before."

"Alright Luna, I see your point. But we have managed to keep our ponies safe at the end of the day." Luna's pawn felt under Celestia's one. "Every single time." The black pieces where at two moves of doing mate.

"What will happen the day when we can't?" She moved her bishop. "Nightmare was very close of provoking that." She shivered after saying that.

"Luna, please." Celestia tried to avoid Luna to remember the Nightmare, she knew that Luna still felt guilty about that.

"But it's true. No living soul the whole land of Equus knows you better than me and Nightmare knew everything I knew." Celestia retreated again but not fast enough to avoid Luna's knight capturing her tower. "What if you failed to predict that Twilight would find the Elements, or that she would make the exact amount of the friends to bear them." The black knight felt. "You were sealed in the sun and your ponies were in complete shock of no having their Princess for the first time in their lives." A well placed knight captured the black queen, leaving the king finally unprotected. "What could have happened if Nightmare Moon won?" Luna was winning but her expression was of complete sorrow. After all, even if Nightmare Moon and she were two separated beings, it was Luna who brought the Queen of Nightmares to existence in first place.

"Luna, you can't lost yourself thinking of what could have happened. You should be just grateful that we are finally together again and the Elements have new bearers." The Sun Princess managed to capture the white bishop, breaking the Moon one's formation. "I have no answers for what could have been nor I have for what will happen tomorrow. Neither of us know." Luna looked at her sister, the white alicorn was smiling. "But that's why I missed you too much, you always see what I don't." The mini war at the board stopped for a moment.

"That was how we used to steal Star Swirl's cookies, I watched while you took them." For a minute long moment their weren't the goddesses that rule Equestria. Instead they were two sister remembering together the goods days.

"Queen's knight to queen's bishop." Celestia interrupted the moment innocently smiling. "Now that we established that the equestrian security is relatively week I need to ask, do you have a real suggestion? Or you're just pointing out our flaws just for the sake of pointing out our flaws?"

"Actually? Yes, I got an idea." Luna moved her tower slightly to the left. "Mate. Do you remember that project I tried to run before my banishing?"

Celestia just looked down, trying to figure out how in tartarus her sister managed to drive the game to a mate. She considered what she said. "The Innocent's Protection Agency. It was only meant to repair the damages from Discord's reign. After they did that, there was no real purpose to the agency to function." Luna cooked her head to a side. "I'm sorry Luna but it have been inactive for more than seven hundred years now."

"But now we got an industrial revolution in our hooves, also whatever is happening with the magic plane. You know that is not natural when Nightmare, Discord and Sombra got free in less than three years."

"Even if the agency was active, the world already changed. There's a lot you don't understand about politics and society. You can't just retake a thousands years old idea." Celestia sighed. "And check."

After a while, Luna finally came with the only move she could made. Putting a lonely pawn to the other end of the board, exchanging it for a queen, she finally replied. "Then help me to make it work, for them." She signaled with her head to the window where the could see most of Equestria.

Celestia looked back at her sister and then at the board, both sides trapped without possible moves to progress. "Okay Lulu." She only used that name when she wanted to be closer with her sister. "Let's go to the study, there's a lot of planning to do."

***

-Royal Palace's private meeting room. Two weeks later.

Under the very foundations of the Royal Palace was a maze of chambers and rooms which purpose was only full know by Celestia herself. On these rooms was the private meeting room, or "the closet" as the ones who knew about it used to call it. In this place Celestia arranged peace treaties months before they were made public, orchestrated the rise of promising towns in key places and even prevented wars from even happening.

The room was decorated in one of the simplest possible ways. Since it use was only for small reunions celebrated mostly in secret it didn't needed to have more than the absolutely necessary. This measure was to avoid any chances of missing any artifact that could be used to magically spy the conversations inside.

Despite its confidential nature and its nickname, the private meeting room was spacious enough to let an adult dragon to stay inside without major problems, which was the case some years before the return of Luna when Celestia managed to convince the Great Wyrm to make peace between ponies and dragons in exchange for asylum for orphan eggs that couldn't survive without their parents and needed additional magic to hatch.

The only clock in the room marked the ten minutes before midnight as a bat pony walked inside. Wearing the Night Guard's Captain armor, which was like the standard one but with golden borders, Skywarp was black as the night he swore to protect and his wings were purple like his military short mane. 'Don't be nervous. But with Shining and Spit... I'm different.'

After a while he heard the door opening, which tells him that he had arrived. For his own surprise, he feels sweat at the back of his head. "Shining." He said without turning around.

"Close." An orange mare dressed in the Wonderbolts uniform entered the room. "Hi Warp." Saluted Spitfire but before any of them could say another thing a flash of light sparked on the outside. Shining Armor walked inside the place just as the clock marked the exact midnight.

"I'm not late, am I?" Spitfire and Skywarp smirked at the unicorn's precision, never a second late nor early.

"I't been a while 'Prince' Armor." The bat pony said the word 'prince' in a half mockery half affectionate way.

"Not anymore, the Princess gave me my old job back. You're talking to you equal, Captain Skywarp"

"You look like a Captain and you even talk like one, but you will have to earn it before being one again." Both stallions glared at each other till the only mare in the room walked in the middle to break their eye contact.

"Now that the 'who piss longer' competition is over. Somepony know why we're here?" Shining and Skywarp shocked their heads as Spitfire walked to a sofa next to the door. The three captains sat together, remembering since the knew each other.

Shining broke the silence. "At least this is the best place for the encounter this year."

It wasn't a common knowledge but the three heads of the Equestrian militia knew each other since fillyhood. They met in the school in Canterlot way before earning they cutie marks, the three of them shared a desire to help others since then. Shining by protecting those who couldn't do it by themselves, Spitfire by saving ponies in danger and Skywarp by bringing justice where it was needed.

Eventually they grew up, discovering their talents and going in separate ways but not before promising to each other to never give up and to encounter again every year. Every time, each one of them remembered the promise they made to their friends and never gave up. Their unbreakable friendship remembering that they weren't alone. Now the three of them were together again.

"Ahem, gentlemen and lady." The calming voice of Celestia interrupted their silent meditations as the Regal Sister desscende from the ceiling of the room. "We would like to thank you for coming." They seated at the table as Luna made appear a series of folder and left them table.

"So." Started Shinig, being the closest to the Pirncesses it was natural for him to speak for the three. "What seems to be the problem?"

"First I need you to understand something. "Luna answered. "Whatever is said in this room is only meant for your hears and whatever you see is only meant for your eyes." They nodded so Luna continued. "First thing first, the world is changing." She paused for a moment. "We have observed how technology has progressed a lot since I left and now its progress have been accelerating. Also, there seems to be a disequilibrium in the mystical plane. As you may noticed, a lot of evils from the long distant past have recently reappeared."

"What Luna is saying is that we can't just wait for the next disaster to strike us and hope for the best." Letting a sight. "I never expected to say these words but if we don't change our ways we could lost the next time." Skywarp looked down to the folders, all of them had a yellow and blue symbol on the cover and nothing else, no tittle nor label, Spitfire noticed the same.

"But you have a plan, don't you?" The captain of the Wonderbolts asked. "You always have a plan."

"Yes, we have." Celestia replied as she took one of the folders with her magic and opened it. Inside it had a series of files, all of them had a the same logo of an Equus globe under the words 'Planetary' on the upper left. Shining took the first one and started to study it silently.

"The Planetary project. Meant to find, classify and develop everything we can from mystic to technology." Luna explained to the captain of her guard. "The idea is to be fill all those gaps in our intelligence as also to have a better look on recent progress around us." She proceeded to open the others that where similarly arranged, all of them with a different logo and code name: Rescue Teams, Checkmate and Task Force.

Shining raised his look from the files. "With all the respect in the world, this is one of your famous practical jokes?" Both Princesses shared worried look and then at him. He noticed the seriousness of their gaze and sighed. "But still, where are we gonna find the ponies for this job? Only from the Planetary project I can say we will need a group of experts in almost every field."

"Not to mention this 'Task Force'. These are specialties way too specific. We will have a rough time finding the right specialist for this kind of team."

"Done." Luna replied. "We already investigated every possible candidate for the main teams and the right one are in the lat page of every folder" Skywarp went straight to the last page of 'Task Force', there was a list composed of nine names from seven different countries and an specific role for each name. A similar list was in 'Checkmate', 'Planetary' and an unfinished one in 'Rescue Teams'.

"Your duty will be to recruit the members but only if you agree to do it." Celestia said. Shining looked back at his brother and sister in arms, Skywarp barely nodded with his head as Spitfire smiled with confidence. All of them still remembering their old promise.

"Agree? This is what we already signed for. Which are our priorities?"

***

-The solar chambers. Latter that day.

"Well Luna, you won. We're doing it." Celestia sat at her bed as her sister rised the moon before joining her.

"It wasn't me who won. It was Equestria and even Equus who have gained a lot with this."

"I'm actually positive of the Rescue Teams and the Planetary project. But isn't Checkmate and the Task Force a little unnecessary?" Although Celestia let her sister to retake her old defense project and even helped her in updating its nature to modern days she still wasn't convinced about some of the most radicals ideas.

"I understand your concerns, but after what I learned from Equus history from the last thousand of years I can't help but notice that although Equestria have been mostly safe and peaceful, the other nation didn't had that luck." She levitated a newspaper to her. It was the Equestria Daily, informing about Cadance presence in the city but Luna pointed out a small article about a recent change of government in Zebrica. The article didn't let too much except that recently a military junta presided by the general August the Great, a sympathizer with the equestrian system of government, just took the power temporarily after the suicide of the former president.

"I don't see how this affects us sister. Also the general already sent us a letter explaining that he's doing everything he can to keep peace in the country." Luna rolled her eyes as she passed her another newspaper. This one written in zebrican. During the extent of her life, Celestia dedicated every spent time she had to learning everything she could about the world around her so reading it wasn't very hard.

The front page was enough to surprise her. After reading the whole paper at a speed that only an alicorn could, she was stunned by the paper's tone. It described the change of government as a true coup d'etat and the general August as a real dictator, also the reports of unfair imprisonments of civilians related to the previous government.

"Luna, where did you get this paper?" Her voice calm as usual but her thousands years old sister could see the concern in her eyes.

"A refugee that barely escaped handed it to one of my guards at the frontier. After they understood what it was the sent it to me." Celestia slowly shook her head. "You see? This is why we need something like Checkmate, to know what's happening outside of Equestria. The general just lied to you and there was nopony to contradict him."

"But what we can do? We can't just leave Equestria to its own. You said it by yourself."

"That's the reason of why we need the Task Force." The regal princesses nodded to each other. There was a lot of work to do.

Author's Note:

Well, this concludes the first part of my New 3 project.

Special thanks to 5thWriter who helped me (again) to put my ideas together, he also wrote a fic that is based on the same concept of this one, here.

For the reader who ended here by the following groups: Transformers, Team Fortress, Power Rangers and DC. Just wait for the next chapter and your respective favorite concepts will appear (but certainly, all of them except for Transformers already got a nod on their participation here)

As always, thanks for reading and please leave a comment. Critics, rants, opinions, everything is welcome.