• Published 24th Oct 2013
  • 1,638 Views, 375 Comments

Blueblood's Ascension Part III; or, Even Alicorns Have Dreams - MyHobby



Blueblood is sent to Tartarus. No, he's not a prisoner. Rather, he is to become the new warden of the magical prison for Nightmares. The key problem is that he just doesn't want to be the warden. Will he follow his duty, or his dreams?

  • ...
8
 375
 1,638

Standing Tall Like a Stone Wall

Celestia stared hard into the telescope in Luna’s Observatory.

Ponyville came sharply into view. The sleepy hamlet rested peacefully as the third hour approached. There had been a scuffle, but it had been sorted out by the supposedly bed-ridden Flash Sentry and Rainbow Dash.

She swiveled the spyglass slightly, taking aim at the Everfree Forest. A storm raged over the land, obscuring her view. She huffed and turned back to Ponyville, looking for anything else out of the ordinary.

“Your Majesty.”

Celestia rose to her usual regal height. “Captain Stonewall. You have news?”

“Just a message, really.” Captain Stonewall removed her helmet and shook her short, pink mane. Her cutie mark, a red brick wall, peeked out from beneath her armor as she handed Celestia a scroll. “It’s from Centurion Sentry.”

Celestia took the offered message in her golden telekinetic glow. “What does he have to say?”

“He says he caught a Nightmare in Ponyville.” Stonewall stood at stiff attention. “He wants permission to take it to Tartarus personally.”

“And do you usually take the opportunity to read my mail?” Celestia asked.

Stonewall’s jaw dropped. “I can’t… I mean…”

“It’s alright, my little pony,” Celestia sighed. “It is guard business, after all, and you are the captain.”

She ran her eyes over the scroll. “I would very much like it if you spoke freely, Stonewall.”

“Your Majesty…” Stonewall clenched her jaw tight. “I don’t like how this situation is being handled.”

“No?” Celestia lowered the paper. “Please explain. What situation?”

“With the Nightmares,” Stonewall said. “I’m afraid that Centurion Sentry’s personal ties to the situation might cloud his judgment. If I had my way, we would post a garrison of guards right at Tartarus to hold back the prisoners, and have somepony with real experience in charge of finding Princess Twilight Sparkle.”

“Real experience.” Celestia nodded and rolled up the scroll. “What are the downsides to your plan?”

Stonewall’s eyes lit up. “Very few, Your Majesty. Wherever we pull the guards from will be underequipped for a time, until we can shuffle around the reassignments. Some additional training might be required if the Nightmare combat techniques are different enough from the norm.”

Celestia trotted up to one of the many mirrors on the wall. Visions of an autumn day flashed through. “About Centurion Sentry… define ‘real experience.’”

Stonewall blinked. “All due respect, Flash Sentry is a group leader, not a hunter. I highly doubt he’s equipped for a search and rescue mission.”

“Ah.” Celestia sat down in front of the mirror and motioned for Stonewall to join her. The captain hesitated, but soon moved to sit beside her princess. Celestia grimaced. She leaned her head down to Stonewall’s level.

“ I can’t take your advice, my little pony,” Celestia said.

Stonewall’s throat constricted, but she kept silent.

“The Nightmares can’t be fought with tooth and hoof,” Celestia sighed. “Glory knows I’ve tried. Your army—your garrison would just be fodder to them. Food. No, a Guard at Tartarus is not the way to go.”

Celestia smiled. “In fact, that’s why I chose Flash Sentry to find Twilight Sparkle.”

She lifted a hoof as a pirate ship appeared in the mirror. “He will not approach this like a soldier with a mission, but like a hero whose love has been kidnapped. He will charge forward with gusto and hope, equipped with his little bag of magic.” Celestia shrugged. “He might even find some friends to help him along the way.”

Stonewall finally opened her mouth. “But that’s just—”

“That’s exactly what we need,” Celestia said. “Nightmares cannot be demolished with weapons of metal, but of the heart. Love and clever thinking will seize the day, Stonewall.”

Stonewall turned her eyes to the floor. “He’s still no tracker.”

Celestia frowned, her eyelids heavy. “You still think it’s a search and rescue mission? You might have more hope than I do.”

Stonewall raised an eyebrow. “Twilight Sparkle seems like a strong individual, Your Majesty.”

“Yes.” Celestia pursed her lips. “But Stonewall, does my sister seem weak to you?”

“Princess Luna?” Stonewall shook her head. “That word’s the furthest thing from her.”

“Exactly.” The pirate ship came into focus, as well as the blue alicorn fighting its crew. “Oh my…”

Stonewall stifled a guffaw. “She seems to be enjoying herself.”

“I can’t begrudge her that.” Celestia extended her wings and shook them. “I won’t begrudge her that. She has too much on her plate.” Celestia knitted her brows. “The Grand Galloping Gala is coming up. Do you have any suggestions in light of recent events?”

Stonewall stood. “Do you really need to hold the gala at all?”

Celestia gave her a half-smile. “It’s expected. There’s little reason for all of my little ponies to suffer.”

“Then double the guard,” Stonewall said. “On the perimeter, indoors, and disguised. Just to be sure.” She grinned. “We want a force that can handle anything, Your Majesty.”

“Then make it so, Captain.” Celestia watched the dream play out on the mirror. “I want you, given what you know, to hoof-pick the right ponies for the job. I’m counting on you, Stonewall.”

Stonewall saluted. “I won’t let you down, Princess Celestia!”

She spread her wings, but Celestia held up a hoof. “Wait. One more thing, my little pony.”

Celestia walked over to the telescope. “Come here, tell me what you see.”

Stonewall’s mouth opened a bit. She walked slowly up to the telescope, her eyes on Celestia. She squinted into the device. “I see… Fillydelphia, my home. I think. It’s far off.”

Celestia shut her eyes and drooped. “Thank you, Stonewall. That’s what I thought.”

Stonewall flew off the balcony, leaving Celestia alone. The princess looked through the telescope. Fillydelphia came into view, its houses and streets appearing as if she stood right in the town square. Blinds were drawn on most of the houses, hiding the interiors from view. Celestia looked up, leaned on the telescope, and sighed.

“I can’t be up here all the time,” she murmured. “I can’t always seek out Nightmares. But who else can guard the day? Who else can watch the night?”

She spread her wings and spoke to the stars. “Who can face darkness and not fail!?”