• Published 24th Oct 2013
  • 1,638 Views, 375 Comments

Blueblood's Ascension Part III; or, Even Alicorns Have Dreams - MyHobby



Blueblood is sent to Tartarus. No, he's not a prisoner. Rather, he is to become the new warden of the magical prison for Nightmares. The key problem is that he just doesn't want to be the warden. Will he follow his duty, or his dreams?

  • ...
8
 375
 1,638

Storms in the Wild

Flash Sentry hesitated at the top of the stairs.

The was no door separating him from the next room, so he had full view of the entire thing. It was round for the most part, with flat mirrors sitting side-by-side all along the single, circling wall. The domed ceiling was a dark blue, with small sparkles glittering here and there in the sunlight. A bell hung from the middle of the dome, golden and polished.

The floor was a midnight shade of purple, save for the white crescent in the center. There was a slight gradient to the purple, if Flash’s eyes told him right, making the edges near the mirrors darker than at the center.

He looked across the room, and found himself looking at a mirrored doorway. Rather than a flight of stairs, this one led onto a small, one-pony balcony. Princess Luna stood on that balcony, one eye closed. The other stared through an enormous telescope, which swayed in the wind. Luna stayed there for a while before finally speaking. “Come hither, Flash Sentry. I would have words with you.”

He swallowed, even as his gilded boots made clinking noises on the—marble, maybe?—floor. He stood in the middle of the room, feeling a bit small as his many reflections came to a stop beside him. His head remained static, though his eyes wandered to the mirrors on occasion.

“I trust you have been apprised of the full grimness of the situation?” She cocked an ear in his direction.

“Yes, Your Majesty.” His neck stiffened. “I am aware of… the foalnapping.”

Luna nodded and, after one final look, pulled herself away from the telescope. “A pity that you were not on-site. You… You might have been able to face the Nightmares.”

Their unblinking gazes met. He took a breath. “I know I would have done something.”

She held her head high. “That is exactly why I called you here. We need somepony to track down those Nightmares. We need somepony who can deal with them. Several someponies.”

Flash bowed his head. “I’m honored that you thought of me.”

“I warn you now that it won’t be easy,” Luna said. “Equestria has never seen more than one Nightmare possession at any one time. With the Elements of Harmony returned to the Tree, we are the furthest thing from ready.”

“Is there another way?” Flash Sentry asked. “To cure them… or save them? The Nightmares, I mean.”

She sighed. “There’s a hope. Only a hope.” She levitated a small bag from behind her and held it between them. “The Nightmares are strongest in the realm of dreams, but it is also the place they call home.”

He reached out to take the bag, but she lifted it a little higher. “Do not open this bag until you are ready to use it.” He nodded, and she lowered it into his waiting hoof.

“S-sand?” he asked. He bounced it, getting a feel for its weight.

“Enchanted sand,” she replied. “A few grains could put an elephant to sleep.”

He held it further away from his face. “So, this’ll work on the Nightmares, too?”

“And allow able ponies the opportunity to enter their dreams.” Luna sat and glanced to one of the mirrors. “There they may find and hopefully eliminate the darkness within.”

Flash Sentry looked up. “Hopefully.”

“It’s untested. But I have some small bit of faith.” She tilted her head to the side. “Do you know of somepony who could learn to use a dreamhopping spell? Somepony who you could work with?”

“Yes, Your Majesty,” he replied, “I do. He’s in Cloudsdale; it shouldn’t take long to track him down.” He pursed his lips. “May I ask why you won’t be available to cast it?”

“I will help in any way I can, wherever I can.” She stood, spreading her wings and lifting a regal foreleg. “But where I will be able to do the most good is from within Tartarus itself. It is not enough to face the Nightmares that have already escaped.”

Flash exhaled, accompanied by a nod. “Fair enough. Have Prince Shining Armor and Princess Cadenza been informed?”

“They were the ones who suggested you,” Luna said, her mind flashing back to two abashed royals. “Celestia agreed. Thus, here we are.” She gestured to the doorway behind him. “I trust that there are no questions?”

“N—” He paused, his hoof in the air, his wings spread in the slightest manner. “T-Twilight… Do you think”—his tail flicked—“do you think she…”

“She will be fine,” Luna whispered. “If we both do our jobs, things shall work out.”

Flash Sentry saluted, and then trotted down the stairs. Luna stood alone with her reflections.

“I must believe that things shall work out,” Luna said. “I must believe it.”


Rainbow Dash gritted her teeth. Her hoof scuffed at the cloud sitting beneath it, sending little white puffs into the air. Her wings shifted, allowing the saddlebags to ride a little higher on her flanks.

In front of her, another pony stood. And another in front of that one. And yet another in front of that one. And so it went, on and on, until the line finally reached that darnable desk.

“Cuss this,” Dash hissed. “I’ve got better things to do.”

She glared at her hooves and snorted. “More important things.”

Twilight Sparkle was missing. Braeburn Apple, Pinkie Pie’s husband, was missing. Lyra Heartstrings, who maybe was kinda important too, was missing. And those last two were Nightmared.

Rainbow Dash squinted. “Nightmare-ified? Nightmare-inated? Nightmorphed?”

“If you’re gonna talk to yourself, can you at least try to keep it down?” a mare standing behind her asked.

Rainbow Dash turned her head around, fully intent on telling the other pony to “Buzz off!” but she thought better of it. She pulled her lips tight, bared her teeth in a faux smile, and turned back to the front. She proceeded to tap her foot on the floor, the giant cloud that made up the lion’s share of Cloudsdale.

An hour passed, leaving her a mere three spaces away from the desk of no return. The mare behind her had taken to talking for the last thirty minutes of that hour, apparently deciding that speaking with an unresponsive partner was preferable to speaking with herself. Rainbow Dash resisted the urge to open up a hole in Cloudsdale’s base in order to send the abrasive mare tumbling into the aether.

Or was the aether up? Ah, who cares? Up or down would be better than behind.

“And my gosh, have you seen the price of clothes these days? It’s like every fashion designer in Equestria is part of a conspiracy. I just stopped into a shop the other day to pick up a new hat, and the pony at the desk was asking for a hundred bits! I told him I wouldn’t pay that if it had sat on the head of Fancy Pants himself. I said it had better have solid gold lining to cost that much.”

Rainbow Dash’s lips didn’t move. “You wouldn’t be able to keep your airhead up with solid gold sitting on it.”

The mare behind her blinked and looked around. “Did you hear something?”

“Nothing but the soothing sound of your voice, ma’am,” Rainbow Dash said, loud enough for most of the line to hear. A few sniggers met her ears.

“I know when I’m being insulted.” The mare rolled her eyes. “I should know better than to expect somepony like you to know the first thing about fashion.”

“‘Don’t tuck your shirt into your underwear.’” Rainbow Dash flicked her mane. “I know the second and third thing, too.”

The mare blinked again. “What’s underwear?”

“Sorry, probably went over your head.” Rainbow snickered. “Yeah, that I’d pay to see.”

Two more spaces. Rainbow Dash’s hooves began to dance.

“You Ponyville types are all the same,” the mare continued. Her yellow bees’ nest of a mane wiggled over her head. “Heads in the dirt.”

Dash’s ears dipped back against her colorful mane.

Two more spaces in the line, and she would never have to see or hear the mare ever again. She just needed to be patient. She just needed a little self control. Hitting the mare with a lightning bolt would be a heck of a lot of paperwork Rainbow Dash just didn’t want to deal with.

“There’s an observation, alright. Any more little nuggets of wisdom, prissy?”

“It’s ‘Pricilla,’” the mare said. “Pricilla Palette. One of the top weatherponies for Fillydelphia.”

Rainbow Dash, Lead Weatherpony for Ponyville, Savior of Equestria, Knight of Harmony, Former Bearer of the Element of Loyalty, Future Wonderbolt, Winner of Blue Ribbons Galore, Eater of Lunch with Princesses, said, “Charmed.”

“Honestly,” Pricilla said as if their exchange hadn’t taken place, “I’m beginning to believe that the only designer worth her salt is Lady Rarity of Manehatten. She has some truly exquisite ideas.”

“Rarity, huh?” Rainbow Dash asked, a smile spreading like wildfire across her face. “She good?”

“Is she ever?” Pricilla leaned back as if in raptures. “The form! The colors! The stitching! I dare say I’ll never be satisfied with any less than her best.”

“She’s got skills,” Rainbow Dash said. “It was pretty awesome of her to make me a dress for the Grand Galloping Gala.”

“Yeah, bu—what?”

Rainbow Dash shrugged and hid the Puck-like sparkle in her eyes. “I was gonna use the same dress again this year, but she was all like ‘Perish the thought, darling! We wowed last year, and we shall do so again!’”

“Y—” Pricilla Palette’s lips wiggled. “You must be joking.”

“I wish! It’s like she thinks we should only wear dresses once!” Rainbow Dash shook her mane. “What’s even the point, amiright?

“Of course, this year we aren’t planning on destroying it. The gala, I mean.” One more space remained. “We were just lucky that Princess Celestia wasn’t ticked about the statue. Or the stampede. Or the cake.”

Pricilla sneered. “Now you’re just messing with me.”

“I was thinking about growing my mane out,” Rainbow said as she grabbed a lock. “I gotta admit that Rarity did some pretty neat things with it. I thought I’d give her a little more to work with.”

Rainbow Dash found herself at the front of the line. “Finally.”

Prissy Palette tilted her head up and away as Rainbow Dash trotted the final few meters up to the despicable desk. “’Kay, let’s get this over with,” Dash said.

The pegasus on the other side of the desk slid a series of pages to the side, then proceeded to lean on his foreleg. “Fine. Averages here, special reports here, emergency uses of weather supplies here.”

Rainbow Dash all but tossed the contents of her saddlebags on the desk. She was a flurry of blue feathers as she pushed a few pages into each pile. “Lotta weird weather around, huh?”

The pony at the desk nodded. “All over Equestria. The higher-ups say that it’s just a fluke storm.”

Rainbow Dash’s hoof slowed. “All over Equestria? Whadda yah mean?”

He waved his hoof in the air. “Fillydelphia, Manehatten, Cloudsdale… even Hollow Shades is getting in on the act. Simultaneous storms. Big ones.”

“Add Ponyville to that list,” Rainbow mumbled. She took a step back, satisfied that everything was in order. “We cool?”

“As long as everything has the signature of your lead weatherpony.”

“In triplicate.” Rainbow Dash turned and cantered away. “See yah, Cloudstuff.”

She stood outside of the office, her wings spread. Her eyes darted across the horizon as her lips pouted. “Okay… okay, if I was a Nightmare, where would I hide?” She inflated her chest to capacity, then let it out slowly. “Where do I start? Where in the heck can I start?”

She sat, her brow furrowing. She jiggled the empty saddlebags at her sides as she looked around. Her attentiveness of her surroundings was rewarded by an unexpected sight.

An orange pegasus stallion, muscular and tall, with a multi-tone blue mane, trotted through Cloudsdale’s plushy streets. His wings held a map in front of his nose, hiding his face. His cutie mark was visible for all to see: a shield that had either a lightning bolt or a crack running down it. He peeked over the map, gave a snort, then returned to his lonely trek through the city.

Rainbow Dash set off after him. “Flash! Hay! Hay, Flash!”

His head perked up at the sound of her voice. “Dash?”

She drew up beside him and punched his shoulder. “Flash, I knew you’d be out looking for Twilight! So what’s your plan? Daring the darkest depths of Ghastly Gorge? Slicing through the psychomore trees of the Everfree Forest? Marching to the middle of the Sandidry Desert?”

“Looking for Downtown Cloudsdale.” He lifted the map, which Rainbow Dash noted was upside-down. “I don’t even know if this thing is current.”

Rainbow Dash snatched it away from him. “Yeah, it’s good. Not from around here, huh?”

“Canterlot, born and raised.” His head swiveled, and Rainbow Dash suspected that his eyes were spinning, too. “Around here, everything looks similar and different at the same time.”

“That’s the magic of having your head in the clouds.” Rainbow leaped into the air and beckoned him upwards. “You never know what you’re gonna find there.”

She smacked herself in the forehead. “Oh, cud! I forgot something in the office. Back in a jiffy!”

She raced past the line that she had so recently left behind. She skidded to a halt in front of the desk and clapped a hoof on top of it. “Hay, Cloudstuff, I need one of those papers I gave you.”

“Excuse me!” Pricilla Palette said. “I waited in line for an hour, too! It’s my turn!”

“Clam up, featherbrain, this’ll only take a sec.” Rainbow Dash turned back to Cloudstuff. “The page on thermals. Can I get it?”

Cloudstuff looked at her sideways. “What do you need it for?”

“Corrections.” Rainbow Dash’s eyes darted around. “For, you know, stuff.”

The pony behind the desk slowly, carefully handed the requested page back to Rainbow Dash.

“Hay, thanks,” she said. “Can I make a copy?”

He pointed to the copier, which was soon occupied by a frantic blue mare. “Great going, Applejack, you’re making me as bad a liar as you are.”

She handed the copy to Cloudstuff, and slid the original back in her saddlebags. Pricilla snatched it with her wing just before it disappeared. “Hmph! Surely unkindness deserves another unk—”

Pricilla Palette’s jaw dropped. “This is written by…”

Rainbow Dash snatched it away. “Yeah, shout it to the world, why don’t you?”

The other pegasus sat down hard. “And it’s written to…”

“Yeah, yeah. Lookie who I know! Great to be me! Sucks to be you!” Rainbow Dash launched herself into the air, the recovered letter snug under her foreleg. “Bye bye, now. Bye bye.” She reached Flash Sentry in less than a second, and the two were off.

Archways that looked far more solid than they actually were (or were far more solid than they actually looked) floated in the sky before the two pegasi. Rainbows flowed down pillars of cloud, pools collected in shimmering basins, and ice bridges connected islands of gossamer.

Rainbow Dash shouted over the wind whipping past her face. “So what are you looking for downtown!?”

“An old buddy!” Flash Sentry called. “We went to boot camp together! He spent some time as a pony-at-arms before moving on!”

“Didn’t care for being part of the Guard?”

Flash shook his head. “He had other dreams to follow. You’ve probably heard of him. Captain Soarin?”

Dash flipped over onto her back, never losing a beat of her wings. “Cuss yeah, I have! Co-captain of the Wonderbolts! Newly-ascended Prince of the Storm! Heck, he’s dating my neighbor.”

“I either need a unicorn or an alicorn to cast a spell.” Flash Sentry spared a look at the scenery rushing past below. “I figured he’d be cool with it.”

On their flight downtown, Flash explained the more basic details of his encounter with Luna, focusing mostly on her plan to rectify the possessed Nightmares. Rainbow Dash nodded along, half an eye on him and the other on the city.

“So, you looking for more ponies to help you out?” she asked as they landed. “Or am I gonna have to sneak around behind you?”

“You’re not exactly a trained guard, you know.” Flash Sentry looked up and found, despite all his holdups, he was indeed standing before the Wonderbolt headquarters. It was a circular building made up of little but pillars and stairs. “I don’t know if we can risk civilians on this mission.”

“Says the colt who’s very, very emotionally attached to the subject.” Rainbow Dash smirked at his frown. “Give it up, Citrus Boy, I’m coming whether you like it or not.”

“‘Citrus Boy,’” Flash mumbled. He held the door open for Rainbow Dash, and then followed her inside. “I gotta admit, that’s one I haven’t heard before.”

Rainbow Dash ruffled her feathers as she walked through the foyer. “Geeze. Can’t these guys afford to turn the heat up?” She looked around. Despite the fact that they were standing in a high-traffic sports center, there was nary a pony in sight. “Where is everypony?”

“Is there a race today?” Flash walked a ways down a corridor. “Maybe that’s where they all went.”

“Do you hear the crowds cheering!?” She popped up in front of him and poked him in the chest. “Do you hear the announcers shouting!? Do you hear any awesome drifting on the breeze?” A twitching ear picked up only silence. “That’s what I thought. Something’s up.”

Flash nodded. He trotted forward a few meters. “Come on. Do you know where the locker room is?”

He heard footsteps in the opposite direction. “Yeah, they’re down this way.” Dash gave a guffaw as he turned around in a smooth arc. “Why don’t you let me lead from now on?”

“I follow your learned example, Lady Dash.” As they neared a suspiciously-restroomy doorway, faint sounds of another pony’s voice could be made out. “Do you think that’s him?”

“Whoever it is, it’s somepony we can ask about this… quiet.” Rainbow Dash stepped aside and allowed Flash to move to the fore. “Here, if anypony asks, it’s official guard business, right?”

“Even better: official princess business.” Flash pushed the door open with a final smile. “Keep on your pinions, just in case.”

The voices stopped as they entered the locker room. It was fairly typical of such a room, with lockers lining the walls, toilet stalls tucked in the corners, and mirrors in inopportune places. On the far side of one aisle of lockers stood an alicorn Wonderbolt shedding himself of his uniform.

It was Soarin. There was no mistaking the sky blue coat, dark blue mane, and vicious, glowing, cat-like eyes.

“Wait,” Rainbow Dash said, “what!?”

“Get down!” Flash shouted. He shoved her to the side, just as Soarin flapped his wings with one powerful stroke. The rush of air blew Flash out the door and across the hall, where he stuck fast partway into the wall.

The dazed soldier lifted his head to see his old friend bearing down on him, horn aimed for his chest. Flash’s wings flapped uselessly as he sought to pull himself from the bouncy cushion of cloud that made up most of the city. A blue hoof caught the Wonderbolt in the midsection, sending him off-course and to the floor.

Rainbow Dash dropped into a karate stance. “Holy! Green! Stinking! Horseapples!”

Flash popped out of the wall and reached back towards his saddlebags. His hoof was inches from touching the sandbag, before he realized that there was no way to cast the dreamhopping spell in the first place. His eyes and Rainbow’s met in a moment of panic before the blue mare disappeared in a flash of lightning.

Dash rose to her feet some way down the hall, her mane frizzing. She held a hoof against her chest and winced. Her eyes realigned a moment later, bringing another mare into focus. Her coat lay somewhere between blue and green, and her mane was a mixture of yellow and orange. Angry, slit yellow eyes bored into Rainbow Dash much like her lightning bolt had.

“Lightning Dust,” Rainbow Dash coughed. “Great. You’re rocking the Nightmare look, too, huh?”

She watched as both Lightning Dust’s and Soarin’s coats darkened and their manes swirled and shimmered. The two Nightmare-possessed alicorns stood tall, fangs glimmering in the glow of their horns.

“Lightning Dust was weak,” Lightning Dust growled. “There was no way she’d ever become a Wonderbolt, not after you betrayed her!”

“Betra—” Rainbow sputtered. “You almost killed my friends!”

“So I replaced her,” the Nightmare chuckled. “All hail the great Nightmare Dust!”

Flash Sentry bared his teeth in a grimace. “Of all the things you could have gone with, that’s probably the least threatening.”

“Her power makes up for it,” Soarin rumbled. His voice seemed to come from everywhere, as if the clouds themselves spoke his will. “The Nightmares have ways of covering up weaknesses.”

“But not eliminating them!” Rainbow Dash sprinted at Lightning Dust. They collided midair and spiraled to the cloudy floor. Lightning leapt up, her horn charging for another blast, but Rainbow Dash was no longer under her. The rainbow-maned pegasus shifted to the side, gathering up the clouds beneath her.

Lightning Dust, rather than send a bolt of pure energy through Rainbow Dash’s heart, flew through a gaping hole in the Wonderbolt Stadium’s floor. Rainbow’s magic went deep, all the way through the cumulonimbus cloud that made up the bottom level of Cloudsdale.

Lightning Dust looked back with a sneer. She began a slow, rolling fall. As she neared the bottom, she picked up speed, until all the cloud around her swirled at her beck and call. An inverted tornado cycled its way back up to Rainbow, grasping her hooves and pulling her down.

“Whoa!” She stretched out a hoof to Flash Sentry. He raced at his top speed to reach her before she was sucked into the vortex, but was an instant too late. Instead, he dove headfirst down the cloud tunnel, wings tucked at his sides to avoid being caught by the whirlwind.

Soarin followed close behind. Partway down, he began to bounce from wall to wall, lightning striking every time he landed a blow. Flash ducked the bolts as they zipped past, but was unable to avoid the one that singed the edge of his wing. His dive became a tumbling fall, and he was soon sucked up in the same forces that grasped Dash. The tornado spewed them out at the bottom of Cloudsdale, where they tumbled for a number of terrifying minutes before catching themselves.

The cyclone reached downwards out of the city, Soarin at its heart. Flash gasped as the spiraling cloud moved towards him, intent on sucking him in and doing further damage.

“Behold the power,” Soarin said, “of Nightmare Storm!”

“Okay,” Rainbow Dash peeped, “that’s slightly cooler.”

Flash ground his teeth together. “We can take them.” He shot off, his wings beating at the air.

“Hold it!” Rainbow Dash screeched. Her eyes were glued to a dark silhouette against the base of Cloudsdale. Lightning crackled at the tip of the shadow’s horn, seeming to banish all other light. “Watch your—!”

Unchecked power rained down on Flash Sentry, striking him off course and sending him spinning for the ground.

“Horsefeathears!” Rainbow Dash shot towards his falling form, her forelegs outstretched. Another bolt of lightning shot from Lightning Dust, scorching her back and bursting against her saddlebags. She screamed as the separated halves of her bags fell away, on a one-way trip to Nowheresville.

She abandoned them and bolted for Flash. She increased her speed until she could get under him, and then scooped him out of the air. A burn mark lay on his belly, matched neatly by the one on his lower back. He coughed and glared at the tornado. “We can take them…”

“We need to get the ever-loving applebuck out of here!” She grimaced as her falling payload was caught by Lightning Dust. “And I mean now!”

The cyclone slowed as the two pegasi disappeared into the distance, one atop the other’s back. Soarin fluttered down to Lightning Dust, who was pouring over a discarded memoir.

“It’s a letter to the queen,” she said. “We were gonna meet up with them anyway. Might as well deliver it, huh?”

Soarin ran his eyes over the message. “Sounds good to me.”

Author's Note:

The fashion conspiracy! It reaches into even the deepest heart of Equestria, corrupting young ponies with too many bits to spend! Beware! Beware!