• Published 5th Mar 2012
  • 928 Views, 8 Comments

The Biggest Racetrack - ConArtistAlpha



Rainbow Dash feels a need to go to space, where she can be free from restraint. Will she succeed?

  • ...
 8
 928

Chapter 5: Day One (Part Two)

Stargazer’s right. Galloper’s commons IS a friendly place to be. Too friendly for my taste. If people are too friendly, their drive for competition disintegrates, and is replaced with a need to feel equal with EVERYPONY. That’s not my style. Not at all.

However, I’m not looking for competition at the moment. I don’t feel the need to show off my skills or brag about how awesome I am. Because now, I’m about to see one of the great mysteries of space take place right above me.

After Stargazer and I departed from the Galloper’s Commons Railway Station, we stopped at a miniscule, but homey restaurant called “The Blue Dragon” for dinner. It was a nice little place, serving small meals such as dandelion sandwiches and tomato salads.

We continue our quest, which takes us to Rosemary Acres, a small, docile, and very hilly prairie located on the outskirts of Galloper’s Commons. This is where the lunar eclipse will be seen at full view.

I have no idea what’s in store for me tonight. As I’ve said, never before have I seen a lunar eclipse. But that’s about to change.

Trotting through Rosemary Acres, my job is to discover a perfect spot to gaze at the magnificent sight we are about to witness. Stargazer is off visiting a friend. He said something about borrowing his friend’s telescope and camping gear or something, and that he would be back soon. So, that leaves me searching for a place to camp for the night.

I stop to look around carefully. There are many ponies here already, and it seems as though the best spots have been taken. Still looking, I turn to my left, and about one hundred meters away stood a great cliff belonging to the only mountain, if it could even be called THAT, in Rosemary Acres. The “mountain” is only about fifty feet high, big, but not huge. This is when I realize where the perfect spot is.

I fly up to the top of the mountain, and perch myself at the edge of the cliff. From here, everything on the prairie is visible. I look up towards the slowly descending sun, and on the opposite side of the planet, the steadily rising moon. A marvelous view. Once the sun goes down and the moon rises, the planet will be right between both of them. The eclipse is closing in. On pure estimation, I would guess there is only an hour before it begins.

But where is Stargazer? He wouldn’t miss this for the world! Feeling worried, I take off and fly around a bit to try and spot him. After at least thirty minutes of frantically searching, I find absolutely no trace of him. Not good.

My mind starts to fill itself with many questions. Is he running late? Will he be here on time? Did he get hurt? Did he ditch me?

As soon as that last question is mentally asked, anger begins to take control of me. Now, completely new questions come to mind. Why would he ditch me? Does he not like me? Did I do something wrong? Is he really that shallow?

I could barely control my emotions, but then, my anger turns to something else. Sorrow. I can’t believe he would do this. WHY would he do this? I actually sort of…like him. And now he’s gone and left me here to wallow in my despair.

And what’s the point of even watching the eclipse now? It just won’t seem as…wondrous…without him being here with me. I don’t know why. He just has some sort of aura about him…I guess I’m just going crazy. I don’t need him. Who said I did anyway? I’m my own pony, and just because I MAY have liked some stallion doesn’t mean I should go ballistic about losing him. There are plenty of others out there…but not like him.

I sigh as the truth seeps in. I LIKE him. I really LIKE him. I haven’t felt this way about somepony since…since…since I don’t know when. But it feels good. It feels like I have something to live for. It feels like…freedom.

Is that it? Is that the answer I’ve been searching for all of this time? Is this what it really feels like to be free? I’ve always thought that space would be the answer to this dilemma, but is it really? Do I really NEED all of that space to feel free? Or do I only need somepony to share life with to REALLY feel free? And BE free.

But are these feelings real? Are they true? Or are they only some pre-mature thought of blind love? Should I really feel this way about him so soon? I just…don’t know…I just don’t know…

Before I could ponder over this any longer, I am blindsided by an unknown force. Well, not really unknown, for there could only be one pony that would do this so randomly.

“Oh, geez, I’m sorry! Are you okay, Rainbow?” says the pony who almost killed me. Again.

“Yeah I’m fine but…Stargazer!” I blurt out once I come to my senses.

“Yes?” he says, clearly confused.

“You…you…” I hesitate mid-sentence, still wondering as to why he is back. But then I realize he didn’t ditch me at all. I can clearly see the large metal object, a telescope, in his hands, and the camping gear on his back. I’m such a foal! How could I let myself believe he DITCHED me? He probably just got caught up at his friend’s house while gathering the gear.

“You…you brought the telescope, I see.” I say, trying to bring up a subject we could talk about.

“Yup, and the camping gear! We’re all set. Oh, and sorry I ran a little late. My friend just LOVES to talk. I swear he could go on for hours without even one breath!”

That certainly reminds me of Pinkie Pie, the energetic, pink, bundle of fun. I wonder what my friends are doing right about now. Eh, I’m sure they’re having a good time, even if I’m not there. It wouldn’t be a party…but they can handle my absence for a little while.

We set up camp, first constructing the tent, placing the sleeping bags inside, positioning the telescope, and finally, laying down the blanket to sit on as we watch the eclipse.

The timing couldn’t be more perfect, for just as we sit down, the show begins. The sun is already completely down, not visible to us on this side of the planet, and now is perfectly aligned with our planet and the moon. On the other hand, the moon can be seen in full view. This is where the magic happens.

As we sit and watch in awe, the moon turns the most beautiful shades of red and orange I have ever seen, this being the reflection of the sun’s rays off the moon’s surface. And it really is magical. Nothing I have ever seen can compare to this.

Stargazer seems to feel the same way. He hasn’t even TOUCHED the telescope, and is just marveling at this unbelievable sight, not believing his own eyes.
It seems like the moon is beckoning me, beckoning me to join it and its glory. I can only imagine myself flying over and around the moon, dancing with it in space for eternity.

This moment is supernatural, astonishing, amazing! It’s…so…so…romantic. I look over to Stargazer, only to find his gaze towards me as well. Our eyes lock, staring at each other and I find myself feeling something…something powerful…could it be?

Is it there? Do I really feel…love? Does HE also feel love for ME? I don’t know what to do, I don’t know what to say, what to think, or what to feel. My mind is racing and becoming all jumbled, I’m trying to come up with something, ANYTHING…but I’m stuck. I’m stuck in a position that I’ve never been stuck in before. More questions pop into my head, making me even more confused than ever.

Do I go for it? Do I make a move? Will he accept it, and return it? Or do I just…let it go…I……I……I can’t. I just can’t. It’s only been two and a half days since I met him. It’s too soon…he doesn’t feel the same way about me. Why would he? I’m just a helpless, desperate, tomboy of a Pegasus. Who would want to love me? Stargazer and I are just friends, and that’s all. Just friends. Nothing more.

‘Nothing more’. Those words bounce all around my head in a never-ending echo. ‘Nothing more’. This is what love is for me, how love will always be for me. I will never know true love.

But then something happens that I would have never expected to happen in a million years. No, something I thought wouldn’t have happened EVER. In one swift motion, Stargazer closes the gap between our lips until there is no space in between, and plants a quick kiss. My body becomes tense, and a quick burst of energy shoots through me, as the impact of what just happened starts to sink in. At first, I am stricken, not sure what to make of the event that just took place. Mixed feelings of confusion, shock, and love swirl around my soul, filling me with an unknown sense.

Stargazer can see my shock, and quickly looks away with expressions of guilt and embarrassment on his face. “I’m sorry…I…I shouldn’t have done that. I’m so stupid! It’s just…I…I really-”

I cut him off mid-sentence by placing my hoof over his mouth. Now it’s my turn to profess my thoughts. “It’s…okay. Really it is. And to be totally honest…I actually…sort of…LIKED it…”

After hearing this, Stargazer is immediately relieved. “Really?” he asks.

“Yeah.” I reply with a tiny bit of excitement in my voice.

We look at each other a moment more, and we realize…we’re in love. Truly, honest to goodness, genuine, love.

After making this stunning revelation, we can’t hold on to our feelings any longer. We both rush our lips forward, intertwining our mouths so that they become one.

There it is again. Freedom. That feeling of total freedom. This IS what it means to truly be free. To truly be happy. To truly love. I was blind before, but now I can see it, plain as day. Love IS freedom. And it took me untill now to realize it.
After the kiss is over, we resume our previous staring session, but this time, with huge smiles on both of our faces.

“That was…amazing.” I say in utter delight.

“I’ll say” Stargazer replies, just as happy.

This is the time. He needs to know what I plan on doing. He deserves it. “Stargazer?” I ask.

“Yes?”

“You love space, right?”

“Yeah, but…” his voice trails off.

“But…” I say, encouraging him to continue. I’m pretty sure I know what’s coming.

“But…not as much as I love you…”

My face is now a tomato, blushing to its fullest extent. Those were the sweetest words a stallion has ever said to me. But another shadow blankets me in its darkness, and more questions appear. Should I say it? Do I REALLY feel this way? I have to be sure, otherwise, the words I might say won’t mean anything, and that wouldn’t be fair. To either of us.

I search my mind, heart, and soul for an answer. I’ve never looked deeper inside myself in all my life. I search and search, but find that something is blocking my path. Something foggy and gray. It’s doubt. Doubt of my feelings, my love, and myself. I need to push through, to destroy this doubt, so I can be as sure as ever that I love Stargazer.

It takes all of my willpower, strength, endurance, and faith. I can feel it dematerializing. I’m winning the fight, the fight for myself. The fog is clearing, there is light shining through. I can almost…there. There it is. The answer. At long last, my questions have been answered. And now I can share these answers.

“I love you too, Stargazer”

And I mean it.

Our passion becomes too hot to handle, and we lean in for another kiss, but this one even longer and more powerful.
I pull away from the kiss, realizing that I became so caught up in the moment, I still haven’t told Stargazer my plans. “Listen, Stargazer. There’s something I need to tell you. I was going to bring it up before, but I was still unsure.”
Stargazer looks confused, but thoughtful. He nods for me to continue.

“You love space, right?”

“Yes”

“Well…so do I…all of my life in fact.”

“Really?”

“Yeah and well…I’m kinda trying to figure out a way to…you know…get there.”

This catches Stargazer completely off guard. “You mean, actually GOING there? Into space?”

“Uh-huh. And I want you to come with me.”

Now the blue and white Pegasus is completely stunned. “Me? Really?” he says with excitement.

“Yup.”

“Wow. Oh wow. That’s…unreal…it’s impossible…yet you say we will…how are we going to do it?”

“Ummm…I’m not…entirely…sure. But my friend Twilight Sparkle is a genius at these sorts of things, and has agreed to help me. In fact, she’s the head pupil to Princess Celestia herself! If there’s anypony alive who can figure it out, it’s her.”

“You do realize that if we pull this off, we could be the most famous Pegasi in all of Equestria, right?”

I never thought of that. I was just doing this to be free, not to be talked about for generations. But it doesn’t hurt to have a little fame going for you.

“Yeah, I guess you’re right,” is my reply.

“I think we should visit this ‘Twilight Sparkle’ you told me about. I’m eager to see what her plans are.”

“Yeah, me to,” I say, mostly to myself, “But that can wait till tomorrow.”

“Of course it can.”

I place my head on his neck, which is surprisingly quite comfortable, and he returns the gesture by placing his hoof around me, holding me close. The moon is still shining its beautiful red and orange colors across Rosemary Acres, glistening like a ruby in the illuminated darkness.

I take a glance at the prairie below us. Countless ponies were still staring straight up, unable to look away from the magnificent sight.

This has been the best night of my life. I can tell that when I grow older, this is the night I will always look back on to keep me feeling young and alive. But that’s for when I AM older. This is happening NOW, at this very moment. And I thank Celestia for allowing me to have it.

As the night drags on, we find ourselves on the verge of sleep. Stargazer lies down, as do I, now resting my head on his chest.

This is perfect. Lying under the stars, watching the eclipse, being in his arms. It doesn’t seem real to me. But I know it is. It definitely is. And I want it to last forever.

But, all good things must come to an end. Both of us are as tired as sleepy dragons, and need to rest. But not before making this moment complete. We kiss once more, softer and shorter this time, but still as loving as before. We separate, and feel our eyelids slowly shutting.

Our final vision before we drift into dreamland is the soft and passionate gaze of each other’s sparkling eyes.