• Published 27th Oct 2013
  • 1,817 Views, 48 Comments

The Roadie and the Show Stopper - Br0nyb0y123



Braeburn becomes a roadie for the Wonderbolts' "Grounded" Tour, and ends up developing a close relationship with Spitfire

  • ...
10
 48
 1,817

Chapter 11: Breakfast in Filly

Pout was standing outside, waiting for us. Magenta and Firelight took the time to have a cigarette whilst Pout was briefing us on our jobs for the day. I looked around and saw buildings of grandeur, giant slabs of concrete, I couldn't see the roofs to any building in sight. I felt a little overwhelmed by the sight of it all, it was so busy along the roads that I could just past the bay.

Melody didn't join us for the briefing, since she was on medical. She said to Star Light that she was going to visit her parents and then come round to the stadium to help with the medical staff. So, it was me, Star Light, Firelight, JD, Peanut, Brittle, Magenta and that was it really. I looked to my left and saw other groups of ponies being briefed by other older ponies. I noticed the black bearded stallion I met at the sign up desk briefing a few younger ponies, I looked to my right and saw the same thing with different ponies.

Everypony was still reeling from the sound of Pout's magnificent(ly shit) musical skills with a trumpets. Whilst he was gladly standing in front of us with a piece of paper,

"Morning, everypony." Pout greeted.

Several ponies grumbled and groaned in reply, I said morning.

"Alright, lads. We are now in Fillydelphia... um... since the Wonderbolts are performing at the Red Parish Stadium, me and several other instructors have arranged for you to transport lighting equipment and such to the stadium," Pout explained.

JD put his hoof in the air,

"Where are we staying, Pout? Are you going to be waking us up with any trumpets?"

"Well, JD mate. The powers that be that have paid for each of you to have a room in the Paul Trotter Plaza," Pout explained.

Everyone's eyes sparked up, I'm pretty sure either Magenta and Firelight choked on smoke,

"Dude, are you shitting us?" Brittle asked.

"THE Paul Trotter Plaza?" Peanut added.

"I am not shitting you, Brittle," Pout said, "Let this be said though. This is the first time we have allowed the roadies to stay in the premier hotels, the bosses had tonnes of cash in their pockets, as ad revenue has shown that this tour is the most successful tour we've had and we aren't even half way done, the bosses were feeling generous."

"Fuck yes, man!" JD shouted.

"BUT..." Pout exclaimed, "Food, room service and alcohol is all on you. The bosses provide you with a room, you provide yourself with everything else. We clear?"

A few murmurs in the crowd show positive agreement, even myself,

"To think that last year, the roadies had to sleep back in the train or worse, find motels," Pout commented, "But anyhow, let's adjust ourselves for business today, lads."


Fillydelphia is a cultured part of Equestria, a place where many ponies of all breeds can come and make a life for themselves. When I come around here, I like to go to the markets in my spare time, buy some fruit from stalls, they even import the most delicious berries from overseas, with the kind of sweetness and ripeness you can't even find in Equestria. I thought I would go there for breakfast tomorrow.

Speaking of breakfast, Fleetfoot and High Winds were out somewhere getting food, me and Surprise thought we'd go out and find them,

"Where did they say they were going?" I asked.

She shrugged, "They didn't say, they just said they wanted pancakes and pie for breakfast."

We heard a grumbling from behind us as soon as Surprise said the word pie. I turned around and saw Soarin muttering to himself in his bunk,

"Pancakes... and pie..." He muttered, "Pie..."

His eyes widened,

"PIE!"

He got up in a rush and fell out of his bed again, and with that, Silver shot upwards and his eyes sparked open,

"Oh, no, Soarin! Not again, man!" Silver groaned.

Soarin jumped up to his hooves and galloped over to the end of the cart, where me and Surprise stood,

"Where's the pie?" Soarin asked.

"Soarin, sweetie, there is no pie. I just said Fleety and Windy went to get some for breakfast..." Surprise explained.

"Breakfast? Already?" Soarin questioned, "Sweet Celestia, I could go for a slice about now."

"You've had too many slices, Soarin," Silver commented, "You weigh a fucking tonne."

Soarin looked at him, almost hurt,

"How do you know how much I weigh?" Soarin asked Silver.

Silver paused, and looked at us, knowingly,

"I don't, I just..." He dragged.

"Are you saying I'm fat?"

The awkwardness was too much to bear,

"No, man. Let me rephrase. I meant to say you'll end up weighing a tonne... if you eat too much pie... then you'll end up fat," Silver said, I felt my spine shudder with cringe as I placed my hoof on my forehead, "Not that you're fat anyhow..."

"Oh gosh, shut up, Silver Lining," Surprise told him.

There was a brief pause in the cart, and I sighed as I released the unwanted tension,

"Maybe I should do some more working out," Soarin said, "Maybe push a few crates, lift and such."

"Yeah, because you pump plenty of iron already, Soarin," I chuckled.

"I do," He replied, "Got to keep in shape. Plenty of the mares want the Soar."

"Oh, shit," Silver sighed, "Here we go again..."

"Ha ha ha. Well, Silver, you've got your Lining persona to go on," I added.

"True."

Silver got out of his bunk and came over to us,

"I should do some exercise as well," Silver said, facing Soarin, "How about it, man? Should we help some of the newbies with the heavy lifting?"

"Yeah, let's do it, man." Soarin replied, smiling.

"For Luna's sake, you two should just kiss already," Surprise laughed, "The testosterone is too much to handle."

"Well, we should get to it." Soarin spoke.

"Lead the way, Gunga Din." Silver told Surprise.

Surprise looked at Silver and Soarin and then towards me. I tilted my head and raised my brows towards the exit, I mouthed, Lead on.

And so she did. She exited the cart first and I followed after her, Soarin and Silver followed after me.

It was a really beautiful day outside, the sun was blazing down, concrete trunks in this concrete jungle just ahead of us away from the bay, I looked around and saw instructors with their groups of roadies. I looked to my side and saw Pout instructing several others; a red Earth Pony stallion, grey Unicorn twins, a light blue Unicorn, two girl Unicorns, one pink and one yellow and... a yellow Earth Pony with a cowpony hat and a sleeveless jacket that covered the upper part of his body...

"Braeburn..." I said quietly to myself.

"You say something, Spitfire?" Silver asked.

"Uh... it's Pout over there. Wanna say hi?" I asked back, hoping I covered my tracks.

Soarin shrugged, "Yeah, let's say hi, ask if he wants help."

Soarin took the lead of our little group, Silver went alongside him by his left, and me and Surprise followed suit,

"Alright, Peanut, Brittle. Shamrock wants you two to help him with lighting today and uh..." Pout said as he read off a flier.

"Hey, mind if I cut, Pout?" Soarin asked as he stood beside him.

I noticed the two girl Unicorns straightened up at the sight of him. I guess The Soar really does have his way with mares. I stood back a little bit to keep away from the crowd, Surprise stood a little bit in front of me.

My eyes kept on wandering to Braeburn, I kept on wondering if he'd notice me. I wondered if he still had the kiss I gave him the night prior on his mind. I wondered if he thought it was a little too much. I saw him as he smirked at Pout and Soarin's interactions, the red stallion made a silly comment, I couldn't recall what it was, Braeburn chuckled and rolled his eyes, then they found me.


I watched as Soarin and Pout joked. Soarin was a pony I was unfamiliar with to say the least, but he was funny,

"You know, everypony, Pout saved my rear when I first met him in Trottingham," He began, "Thirsty mares, most of them bucked toothed. Them smiles, huh Pout?"

"Oh yeah, it was a little like a rock star being chased around the streets," Pout said.

"You should've just flew away, Soarin!" JD spoke from the crowd.

I rolled my eyes and looked to my right, I caught a glimpse of a tangerine blitz, the focal point of a yellow Pegasus, Spitfire. I saw a spark of anxiousness behind those eyes, she smiles at me, held up her hoof and waved, she mouthed, Hi. I smiled and nodded back to her,

"Well, Pout. Me and Silver were wondering if we could help the newbies with some of the heavy lifting."

"Why's that?" Pout quizzed.

"Got to keep in shape, pal," Soarin replied as he looked at either Magenta or Firelight, a not-so subtle wink followed after.

I smirked and shook my head, Soarin's just as silly as Brittle and JD,

"Well. I guess you can help them, they're mostly weak anyways..." Pout said, "...Especially the red one."

"Bullshit, Pout," JD replied, "I'm the strongest out of everyone here."

"Then it's settled. You can do most of the carrying." Pout deadpanned.

"Wait..." JD began to say, "I was just..."

"Anyways," Pout interrupted, "Next order of business for the day, since these two lads will join us for the day. Star, Magenta and Firelight were meant to help you two carry the load."

"What? Me and...?" JD asked as he pointed to me.

"Yes," Pout confirmed, "Anyhow, Star, you and the girls will be assigned to the F/X dept for, don't worry, I'll help you with where to put the fireworks and such, and a whole team will help too. I can't actually risk you three making explosives."

"What should we do in the meantime?" Star asked.

"Go get something to eat, or something. Just be at the stadium by noon, yeah?" Pout said," Do it now if you like, mate."

"Alright, Pout," Star said as he moved out of the crowd.

Magenta and Firelight followed after him,

"Can we come, Star? To get breakfast and that?" Firelight asked.

"Sure thing, I know this good cafe in the center of town," Star said.

Magenta looked back behind her, catching Soarin's attention, she blew a kiss, he smirked, and I felt all sense of subtlety die inside of me,

"Should me and Brittle get going too, Pout?" Peanut asked.

"Aye, mate. Shamrock should be waiting there already," Pout explains, "I swear, he never sleeps."

Peanut and Brittle then made their way towards towards the streets, on their own little adventure so to speak,

"Alright then," Pout said as he turned to Silver and Soarin, "Soarin, Silver, you'll be pulling the equipment to the stadium with the guys, you good with that?"

"Sure, mate," Silver said, mocking his accent, much to Pout's chagrin.

"Right, I'm going to get something to eat," He said, "Watch out for the traffic, lads. It's busy out there."

Pout trotted off, looking like he was about to get a little bit annoyed if he spent another second with Soarin. I honestly couldn't blame him, if he made fun of my accent, I'd probably get a little annoyed too.


"Oh my, I forgot money," Surprise told me.

"Why do you need money, Surprise?" I asked.

"In case I want to buy some breakfast," She replied.

"Ha ha. Alright then," I chuckled.

"I'll be back in a bit, okay?" Surprise said before heading towards the cart again.

"Hurry back!" I told her.

I glanced over towards Braeburn, Soarin, Silver and the red stallion whose name keeps on slipping my mind. Braeburn kept his eyes on the buildings of Filly,

"Yo, man. You coming?" He asked Braeburn.

"Just a second, JD. I'm just... I'm just taking in the scenery," Braeburn replied.

JD (I swear it sounds like the name of some sort of douchebag who works in a hospital) looked at the great skyscrapers which stood tall in the city then back at his friend, he smiled, almost struck by Braeburn's sense of wonder,

"Alright, man, enjoy yoursel'," JD said, "Catch up when you can though, right?"

JD followed Soarin and Silver towards the location of the equipment carts towards the end of the train. Braeburn turned to look at me, and then back at the buildings,

"Beautiful place, huh?" He commented.

"Filly is a nice city," I told him.

I've been to the city countless times prior, and even though I've grown rather sick of the constant travelling, Fillydelphia and some parts of Manehattan are the cities I love to come back to the most, every time I come here, it feels new and organic, constantly changing, like a pony who'll never die,

"I've never seen buildings this tall before," Braeburn spoke.

"I have," I say.

"I haven't," He replied.

"I know," I chuckled, "You already told me."

He became snapped out of his trance and looked back at me, "Oh... what? Oh... oh, I'm sorry. I got a little bit lost in a daze there."

"It's okay," I smiled.

There was a sense of awe and bewilderment behind his jade green eyes, I don't think I've ever seen someone so en-captured by the city. It was kind of cute, actually,

"Shouldn't you catch up with your friend before you lose him?" I asked.

"What? JD?" He questioned with a laugh, "He's bright red, I can spot him from a mile away."

"I guess so," I replied, "Looking forward to work?"

"Good old fashioned manual labor?" Braeburn joked, "Couldn't be happier."

"Is that common back on the ranch?" I asked.

"Eh, yeah," He said with a shrug, "At least it's at someplace new, and I'm going to a giant darn stadium I've never been to before. I'm excited."

"Yeah, you're very giddy about it."

"Ha ha. Ah, well, I best get to work. Don't want to make a bad first impression on my first proper day. Got to get back to J."

"Alright then, well, I should see to my friend as well," I explained, "She's getting money."

"For what?" Braeburn asked.

"Oh, just for breakfast," I replied.

"Everyone seems to be going for breakfast," He said.

"You should to. It is the most important meal of the day after all," I told him, "Hauling that equipment will make you hungry."

"Ha, I'm sure."

There was a brief little silence between us, but others were passing us by,

"Well, I uh... I'll see you later, yeah?" I asked, a little awkwardly.

"Oh... yeah, sure. See you round, Ma'am... I mean, Spitfire," He replied, just as timidly.

He smirked, and with the nod of his hat, he was off,

"Bye, Braeburn," I said, but I knew he didn't hear.

"Who?" A little voice squeaked.

It was Surprise. With her sudden appearance, I felt a sharp rush of adrenaline burst through me, she startled me. I spread my wings, almost hitting her in the face,

"Oops! Sorry, I didn't mean to give you a fright, Spitfire," Surprise said.

"Ha ha, it's okay," I told her as I tucked in my wings.

"Who was that you were speaking to?" Surprise asked me with cat-killing curiosity.

"That was..." I paused, "That was Braeburn."

"Ooh! The Braeburn you were telling us about last night?"

I nodded, "The very same."

"Fleetfoot was right. He is gorgeous," Surprise said as she glanced at him walking away.

"Right," I replied.

"What do you think?" She asked me.

I felt myself blushing just a little bit, "Pardon?"

"Do you like him?" Surprise asked again, with a grin.

"I guess, I mean... not like that," I stuttered.

"Oh yeah?" Surprise questioned, almost smugly.

"Yeah, I mean... He's just a friend, Surprise. Gosh," I retorted.

"Suuuure," Surprise giggled.

I groaned a little bit, "Let's get some food, Little Miss Supernova."

We began to walk towards the town, possibly to find Fleety and Windy, or maybe get some food of our own, I didn't know. Surprise kept on teasing me about Braeburn, I mean, yeah, he is cute, but he's a friend. That's what he was, just a friend. Just a new friend I made, and nothing more than that. Nothing more. I meant that.

Author's Note:

Oh, the romance is in the air, my friends. I'm glad to be writing this story again. It's really fun writing the dynamic between Braeburn and Spitfire and also the dynamic between the two protagonists and their own respective groups. Which is why I believe it will be fun to write Braeburn interacting with more of Spitfire's group of friends.

Next chapter: Braeburn and JD get to know Soarin and Silver Lining as they head to the stadium, whilst Spitfire and Surprise go on their own adventure in the city of Fillydelphia.

Sooner or later, I will write a chapter that will introduce the Shamrock character who has been mentioned infrequently. And I think most of you will like him.