• Published 15th Oct 2013
  • 5,764 Views, 377 Comments

Thirty Days, Thirty Twilights - Esle Ynopemos



A daily-updated collection of short stories featuring the loveliest of lavender librarians.

  • ...
4
 377
 5,764

PreviousChapters Next
7: Without Restraint [Slice of Life]

((Prompt: They danced / until rivers of sweat / poured down their sides / until their muscles / trembled / until they panted for air. / They danced / with all that they had and / all that they were. / They danced / because it was when / they danced / that they were / free.))

In her time, Celestia had known some truly exceptional dancers. There had been individuals, throughout history and across the world, whose movements were breathtaking to behold. Music could flow through their bodies like water. Their grace and agility astounded and delighted any who witnessed them. They could put such profound meaning into something as simple as a half-spin that it had brought the solar diarch to tears.

She had once known a fearless mare from beyond the eastern sea who used flaming rings, yet managed to never burn herself. She had seen an earth pony who could leap so high it seemed like he flew. She had spoken with a penniless vagrant who traveled the streets of Canterlot every night, dancing to a tune only she could hear. When Celestia had offered to hire her as the court's dancer, she declined, gesturing to the dusty alleys and telling her, “This is my stage, your highness.”

Celestia had met some fantastic dancers in her time. Twilight Sparkle was not one of them.

'Flailing,' in a word, covered much of what the unicorn filly seemed to be doing, though it did not quite capture the entirety of it. Her movements had as much rhythm to them as a jello salad. Legs would shoot out and wave around apparently at random as Twilight performed what appeared to be an impression of a slow-motion seizure. Her eyes were squinted shut as she bobbed her head up and down, her tongue poking out of her mouth in a comically overdone expression of concentration.

She looked like she was enjoying herself, at least.

Celestia's aide, Clip Board, hovered nervously at her side. “Your highness, isn't that your student?” she asked, clutching her namesake to her chest.

Celestia nodded. “She is.” She winced as one of Twilight's spins nearly ended in her overturning a table full of drinks. “I thought she might like it if I invited her to the Ball.”

Clip Board's eyes shifted back and forth. “Not to question the wisdom of that, your grace,” she said, her ear twitching as a sudden crash announced that Twilight's second spin had succeeded where the first had failed, “but do you think maybe you should do something about her?”

Celestia glanced around the ballroom. Most all of the guests—esteemed nobles, wealthy tradesponies, social climbers, the ponies that Canterlot and Equestria at large looked up to—were staring at her pupil by now. She could hear whispers spread through the crowds, accompanied by disapproving 'harumph's and the subtle sound of monocles being furiously polished.

“I believe you are right,” Celestia said, smiling at Clip Board. “I should indeed do something about her.” She strode forward, approaching the rhythmless, flailing purple mass of faithful student.

It took Twilight a few moments to notice her mentor standing over her. She slowed to a stop and looked up, blinking. Apprehension clouded the filly's eyes. “P-Princess?”

A grin spread across Celestia's features. She dipped her head and shook all six limbs, mimicking the jerky movements her student had been using. Golden-shod hooves flailed in every direction, and she raised her wings playfully toward the ceiling.

Joy filled Twilight's face as she joined Celestia. They danced, without heed to the shocked looks on the ponies around them, without hearing the crowd's murmurs. They danced in whatever way they pleased, without limit, without restraint.

They danced.

PreviousChapters Next