• Published 15th Oct 2013
  • 5,756 Views, 377 Comments

Thirty Days, Thirty Twilights - Esle Ynopemos



A daily-updated collection of short stories featuring the loveliest of lavender librarians.

  • ...
4
 377
 5,756

PreviousChapters Next
13: Daring Do and the Princess of Magic [Adventure]

((Prompt: Daring Do teams up with one of the Mane Six to go on a rescue mission to save Rainbow Dash.))

“Be careful, spikes come out of that wall.”

Daring Do flinched back as a row of sharp spikes shot forward, missing her muzzle by an inch. She lifted her hoof off of the sunken tile she had stepped on, and the spikes pulled back into their holes with a mechanical clank.

She pushed her hat back. “How do you know so much about this temple?” she asked, raising a suspicious eye to her purple companion.

“This is one of my favorite books in the series,” Twilight Sparkle explained, carefully side-stepping the trap's pressure-sensitive trigger. “I've read it cover to cover half a dozen times, at least! Rainbow Dash couldn't have picked a better book to get trapped in if she tried.”

“You're not making any sense,” Daring grumbled, forging on ahead in the dark, gloomy tunnel. “You keep talking about books and characters... and why do you keep calling your friend Rainbow Dash? I thought her name was supposed to be White Lilly.”

“That's because that's the character she's taken the place of in here. Just like how I'm supposed to be an earth-pony named Mild Winters.”

Daring cast an incredulous glance back at the purple alicorn. She was very clearly not a middle-aged grey earth-pony with a beard. “If you're supposed to be an earth-pony, why are you casting a spell right now?”

“Invisibility,” Twilight said, her horn lighting the tunnel. “See, I'm not supposed to be here when you get captured.”

Daring Do's eyes narrowed. She ducked suddenly, and a dart sailed right over her head, clattering harmlessly against the wall. With a cry, she pulled one of Ahuitzotl's henchmen out of the shadows. His blowgun bounced on the floor as she knocked him out with a solid buck to the head.

Twilight's eyes went wide. “That... that didn't happen in the book.”

Daring patted down the unconscious stooge, relieving him of all his hidden weapons. “You said I would get captured,” she said. “I don't like getting captured.”

Twilight pointed a shaking hoof at the dart on the floor. “Th-the poison dart was supposed to hit you, and you'd fall asleep, and wake up tied to a post in Ahuitzotl's secret lair!”

“Good thing I ducked, then, huh?” Daring Do kicked at the dart.

“No! You don't understand!” Twilight went pale. “If things can happen differently here than they do in the book, then that means you won't escape the ropes, grab the Amulet of the Moon, and free Rainbow just before the pillar she's tied to falls into the chasm!”

“You know, I've never noticed before, but that guy really likes tying ponies up.” Daring Do rubbed her chin. “Maybe it's got to do with that third hand on his tail.”

“Daring, if Rainbow is hurt in here, I... I don't know what will happen to her in the real world!”

“All right, Princess, calm down.” Daring Do put a hoof on Twilight's back. “Panicking isn't going to do your friend any good. We need to think.” She tapped her hoof on the stone floor. “If what you said was supposed to happen, then maybe we might have a leg up on Ahuitzotl.” Her eyes fell on the prone form of the henchman. “I think I have a plan...”

*

Ahuitzotl cackled loudly as a limp Daring Do was carried into his lair. “Excellent! I knew you could do it, my loyal...” He stopped, rubbing his chin suspiciously. “Say, didn't you used to be less purple? And wingless?”

Twilight grunted in as gruff a voice as she could manage. “I, uh, fell in a patch of berries, your lordliness. And... um... I've always had wings. Yep, always.”

The creature scratched his head. “Very well. Get yourself cleaned up before you get my rug all sticky.” He dismissed her with a shooing motion. “Now then, Miss Do.” Ahuitzotl pulled out a coil of rope, grinning. “This will finally be the end for you...”

Daring's wings snapped up, flicking a cloud of dust into his eyes. “Not in this story!” She dove between his legs and kicked out, causing him to fall face-first onto the stone floor. “Twilight?”

Twilight carried an unconscious blue pegasus in her magic. “I've got her,” she called. “Oh, and the amulet is hanging from the second balcony on the left. The temple will start crumbling when you grab it.”

Daring Do saluted and took off into the air. Color slowly drained away from the world as the spell unwound itself, freeing Rainbow Dash and Twilight from the book.

*

Rainbow Dash's eyes fluttered open. She found Twilight sitting over her, a copy of Daring Do and the Amulet of the Moon resting between them. “T-Twi?” she said through cracked, parched lips.

“Shh,” said Twilight. “It's okay. You're fine now.” Twilight briefly stroked Rainbow's cheek with a hoof before standing up and taking a step to the side.

Rainbow Dash propped herself up to see Rarity, Pinkie, Applejack and Fluttershy all sleeping in a row on the floor, each with a different book clutched to their chests. Twilight sat down next to Rarity.

“One down, four to go,” Twilight said, pressing her horn against the trashy romance novel in Rarity's hooves.

PreviousChapters Next