• Published 15th Oct 2013
  • 8,190 Views, 822 Comments

The Start of Something New - Rhino



No one ever said being a new parent was easy, especially if your wife is a changeling. Regardless, there is a little one on the way, and Rhino and Gel will have to learn how to be parents, as well as dealing with the first pony-changeling hybrid.

  • ...
12
 822
 8,190

Chapter 25: Hopes

Saturday morning comes peacefully to the Nexus household. Alarm clocks are off, the pets are snoozing, and the foal is sleeping peacefully in her crib with her plush toy and the aura of love coming from her parents as they too sleep in their bed after a late romantic night downstairs where they wouldn't disturb the little ones. Even the sun finds itself unable to disturb the moment easily, as the shades have been drawn in the exact way where it can't shine on any unsuspecting faces. This allows everyone to wake up at their own pace.

Sapphire eyes slowly flutter open, their owner taking a minute for them to focus. She carefully sits up, making sure not to wake anyone up. She runs a hoof through her mane, yawning, waiting for her mind to get in gear.

After a few moments she rubs her belly, feeling the warmth still there and smiling softly as she recalls the previous night. She turns to her nightstand, bringing up a pen and marking off the previous day on the calendar. Her gaze moves to today and she stops, staring at the pink heart, her nose scrunching slightly in thought.

Finally her mind retrieves the memory connected to the symbol, her cheeks flushing with color. She fidgets a moment, nervous, before something occurs to her. Her eyes widen, a hoof reaching down to rub her belly as she turns to her stallion.

She slowly reaches over and gently strokes his mane, her eyes slowly getting dewy. She leans down and briefly kisses him, laughing a little before nuzzling him, whispering softly. "I love you..."

The stallion sleepily responds with something incoherent, his forelegs wrapping around her and pulling her close. His tail wraps around hers as he plants a kiss on her forehead.

She giggles softly, gently nipping his neck before leaning into the embrace. She happily nuzzles him, waiting for him to wake up.

After about twenty more minutes, he stirs again, this time starting with the hooves gripping her starting to stroke her back while his lips gently touch to hers. He lets them linger before he breaks the kiss, whispering to her, "Good morning, beautiful."

She sighs softly, kissing him back before pulling away slightly. She smirks playfully at him, a hoof rubbing the top of his head. "Morning. Sleep well?"

He nods, nuzzling her. "Like an emerald dragon with my priceless sapphire hoard..."

She pouts and sticks her tongue out at him. "You couldn't have used the word 'treasure'?"

He simply smiles at her knowingly. "Dragons have many treasures, but a hoard is even more precious and one-of-a-kind."

She closes her eyes, idly stroking his chest with a hoof. "And... if your 'hoard' was to grow... bigger?"

Not quite sure what she is getting at, but still waking up, he responds simply. "Just more to love."

The nymph giggles, playfully tapping his nose. "Maybe I need a more direct approach for you, sweetie?"

"I'll leave that up to you, love..." he replies, stretching as he wakes almost fully up, "you seem to know how to handle most things, including me."

"Well then..." She places her calendar on his chest, sitting up. "Maybe this can help get my point across?"

"Hmm?" He idly lifts up the calendar to an angle so he can see it clearly. His eyes trail across the month. "Something more to do with our anniversary coming up in about a week?"

"No, I know you'd remember that." She points to a group of letters on the day just below the heart. "Besides, I wouldn't be reminding you of it today, if you didn't. I'd remind you the same day."

"Probably with breakfast in bed, though it seems like I usually beat you to that on special days." He winks at her before focusing on the heart itself, and the two days after it with similar marks. The few facts click into his mind and he nods in understanding. "Oh, I see... it's time for your fall heat again..." Casting a glance over at her, he raises an eyebrow. "Though you do seem much more calm and content than usual when this starts."

"Yes..." She smiles softly, rolling her hoof to encourage him along that train of thought.

He thinks out loud. "Well... usually only satisfaction or getting pregnant would do that... Was last night really enough to take that much edge off?"

She quirks an eyebrow at him, her smile falling to a flat line. "Is that right..." She unknowingly places a hoof on her belly, her head dropping slightly. "I guess that could be the case... though I think it's more the second choice..."

"That would be more logical..." he muses before his brain catches up to what his mouth is spewing out. His eyes widen as his head snaps to look at her, his eyes falling onto her stomach. "Gel... when we... and I... would it have lasted long enough to..."

"I, um... I hear it can last up to three days..." She shrugs a bit, sheepishly smiling. "I never looked it up, myself, though..."

"It's never really come up before now..." Sighing, the stallion lays his head back, rubbing his forehead with a hoof. "Okay... let me think... I suppose we'll know for sure if your heat never comes up... in the mean time... I guess we just play the odds." He lets out a slow breath. "Did not think I would ever impregnate two nymphs in the same week... or at all, really."

Gel rolls her eyes, leaning up against his side. "It's not all that bad, is it? We'd be having another foal... a new member of our family." She smirks coyly, teasingly nipping his neck. "Not to mention the... other benefits..."

Shivering a bit, he nuzzles her. "I never said it was ever bad, and I guess you're right... it will give me plenty of chances to improve my massaging technique, and my cooking skills for unusual dishes."

"And maybe I can provide milk in exchange." She sticks her tongue out at him before rolling over, carefully getting off the bed.

"Heh, I suppose." He watches her getting up, tilting his head slightly. "Going somewhere?"

"Just one place." She walks over to the bathroom door, blushing softly. "I don't feel quite well..."

He immediately is at her side, bracing himself against her. "Need me to hold your mane?"

She nods immediately, her face gaining a greenish tint. "Y-yes, please..."

***

The day goes by as any Saturday might, although now one can easily see the extra spring in Gel's steps or the peppy swish in her tail when she walks. She seems to have gained the glow one sees of pregnant mares already, despite it being this early. Still, Rhino has never complained about his wife being happy and he isn't starting now.

As the afternoon roll by, the family can be found in the living room, as is common place. At the moment, all the pets are perching on various parts of the changeling while they watch the little pink filly laughs as she 'wrestles' her father. Of course, it's more like he's laying on his back and she's bounding and an down pouncing on him, but the result is the same.

As she pounces onto his muzzle, the stallion crosses his eyes trying to look at her, to which she simply laughs more and nuzzles him.

Gel watches them from the couch with a small, content smile, her head resting on her forehooves. She giggles at their play before biting her lip, keeping a tiny groan from escaping. She sighs in mild annoyance, ignoring the steadily-growing ache in her belly, but bringing a nearby bucket closer, just in case.

Rhino's ear flicks from the sound of the bucket moving, but hearing nothing more he doesn't react. He lets out a small playful growl at the foal he loves, though the fact that her body half-muffles it dilutes the effect so that he only seems sillier.

The nymph laughs brightly, seeing their daughter leap to his chest and bounce around even more in response. Hearing a quiet 'ding' from the other room, she reluctantly moves the pets off her body to check on it. She heads to the kitchen, opening the oven door.

She regards the golden, fluffy tops of the cupcakes in the tray, smiling softly. "Perfect." She swiftly moves them to the cooling rack, nodding satisfactorily to herself.

She turns to exit the room when a harsh twinge in her lower abdomen forces her to the floor. She quietly gasps for air, suddenly aware of how wet her tail feels, overwhelmed by confusion. "Wh... why did that happen?" She grimaces and stands up carefully, a single tear rolling down her cheek. "D... did it not take? Did... did I get excited over nothing?"

In the other room, the stallion and foal continue playing, unaware of the emotional distress in the other room. Rhino lightly touches the tip of his hoof to Ruby's nose. "Boop."

She taps his hoof back with her own, laughing happily. "Da!" She pauses, glancing at the door when the sound of hooves filter into the living room. She tilts her head to one side before turning back to Rhino, grabbing his hoof and nuzzling it, humming brightly.

He just chuckles at the foal, ruffling her mane fondly with his other hoof. "Who's my smart filly? Who's my little princess?"

She babbles, leaning into his hoof with a silly smile on her lips. "Da..."

"Me?" He points his other hoof to himself incredulously. "Since when am I a princess? You would think somepony would have told me by now..."

Ruby laughs at this, leaping forward and nuzzling his chin. "Dada..."

"Heh, that's my girl..." The stallion gently wraps his daughter in an embrace, kissing her. "You have no idea how much it warms my heart everytime you say that... and I doubt you'll have an idea even when you can fully understand me..."

She giggles softly before yawning softly, cuddling up against his chest. In seconds the sound of her quiet, even breathing reaches his ears.

He laughs quietly, stroking her mane. "And the afternoon nap begins..." He looks up, noticing the lack of his wife's presence and wondering what's taking her so long.

Bringing Ruby with him tucked up against his chest, he heads into the kitchen, only to be greeted with what look like perfect, though not yet iced, cupcakes. No sign of Gel though. Trotting back out, he heads upstairs to the next likely place, their bedroom. Perhaps Gel wanted to put something on or she got sick again. He strolls in through the open door.

The navy nymph looks up from where she's sitting on the foot of the bed, surprised by his entrance. "R-Rhino?" She hastily puts the bottle in her hooves off to the side, frantically rubbing at her cheeks. "W-why are you up here? Did Ruby need her diaper changed?"

"She fell asleep..." he starts, slowly walking toward her, tilting his head. "Is... something wrong, love?"

"I..." She falters, glancing at the bottle next to her, the pink fluid inside swirling from its sudden motion. "I w-wouldn't get closer... i-if I were you..." She audibly gulps, tears brimming in her eyes once more. "I-I might not be able to control myself..."

"Gel..." The stallion's eyes are soft as he sets Ruby down in her crib and puts her blanket around her so she wouldn't have direct contact with the emotions about to take place. "I take it... you're in heat and feeling it?"

She turns away and nods tersely, a small whimper escaping her lips. "I-I was so happy... t-thinking we were having another foal..."

Rhino sighs, walking over and placing a hoof on her shoulder. "Gel... just because we aren't having one now, doesn't mean we won't ever..."

She pulls away from him, her entire body tense. "I know... but I just... I feel like now would've been a perfect time..." She glances at him, her eyes narrowing slightly. "Wait... you aren't relieved, are you?"

His head pulls back as he tries to think of a good but still honest answer to that question. "I... erm... well... it's not like I'm glad you're crying or anything..."

"You are!" She rounds on him, pouting angrily. "Why? You didn't want two nymphs carrying your foals at the same time?" She turns away, gritting her teeth and holding her head in her hooves, her words muffled so he can barely make them out. "Fuck, this heat is really getting to me..."

"Gel..." He draws closer to her again. "It has nothing to do with Luster... I had decided this before they made their request of me... and please watch your language around Ruby."

"It's not like she can hear me..." The nymph groans, letting her head bow once more. "I just... I was looking forward to fulfilling the Plan, sooner... you know?"

"Love, why are you so set on doing this right away?" He sits next to her. "You just got out of pregnancy a month ago... you don't have to go right back into it... we have a little one to enjoy."

"But... I..." She bites her lip, sighing heavily. "You're right... I guess I was just... being too hasty..."

"You're just excited, love..." He brings her into a warm embrace. "You already know my reasons for waiting... but you never really told me your reasons for not... you know I'm always one to listen to your side."

"I..." She closes her eyes, leaning against his chest with a small sigh. "I felt... content... when I thought I was pregnant... no, more than that, I was excited..." She chuckles sorrowfully, shaking her head. "I was looking forward to another cute bundle of joy... possibly a colt, this time, who'd grow big and strong like his father..." She taps his nose. "Someone he'd see as a role model, and help keep Ruby happy and safe, when we can't..."

Rhino squirms in place, the two halves of his brain that fight the most, logic and emotion, going at it in full again as Gel's arguments come into play. "I know love... I know, because... to be honest... I felt the exact same. I envisioned that myself, even before today. When I thought you were pregnant, I admit, some parts of me were a little worried... but most parts of me were happy... happy that our lives would be even better with all that we saw."

"I understand what you mean..." She sighs, sheepishly rubbing the back of her neck. "I guess I can wait, though... it should be done in agreement between us, after all..."

"I'm sorry, love..." He nuzzles her gently, trying to cheer her up. "I didn't mean to put you through all this stress just because I thought it would be best to wait... even if I didn't really want to myself."

She blinks, looking up at him in confusion. "Why are you apologizing?" She chuckles, tenderly kissing him. "You were helping me cheer up. No problem with that, is there?"

"No... but I know my decision wasn't really one you fully agreed with, and that caused you stress even before today. For that, I'm sorry." He rests his forehead on hers, looking into her eyes.

"Sweetie," she sighs, closing her eyes, "I've caused myself more stress..." She pulls away, picking up the vial of pink liquid. "Do you know what my biggest fear was?" She pops the cork out, continuing without letting him even attempt to answer. "Losing you to some random mare - or, heaven forbid, a nymph who'd try to brainwash you."

"Gel..." He begins. "You know I'd never leave you for some random mare or nymph. Although... I admit I thought only your queen could brainwash. Still though, optimistic as it may sound, I think even then, if I had only one second of clear thought, it would be of you, and how to get back to you, no matter what."

She smiles softly, lifting the potion up to her lips. "That means the world to me. Thank you, Rhino." She tilts her head back and gulps it down, shuddering softly as the effects start to take hold.

He rubs her back as she sits there, shivering. "Feel a bit better?"

"Much." She sighs, visibly relaxing. "The aching emptiness is definitely gone..."

"Good." He smiles, still rubbing. "If you still don't feel one hundred percent, I'm sure myself, Ruby, and maybe some of those unfinished cupcakes downstairs can help."

The navy nymph giggles, nodding quietly. "I'd like that, love..."

"Come on then." He gets up, retrieving the foal from her crib and setting her in her mothers lap, which she immediately curls into. "Time to make this one of those days where we practically smother you in love."

She sticks her tongue out at him, giggling brightly. "I can't wait."

Author's Note:

So this chapter was actually very interesting to write for a number of reasons. The main one though, is that this was planned to be this couple's first 'big' fight. You can see about how well that went... It's just that when staying in character and writing these two, they're both so empathetic, apologetic, comforting, normally level-headed, with the balance of emotion and logic in their arguments that they really can't fight easily, even when the stress was turned up so much in this chapter! This was a legitimate attempt to get them to argue over something, and in the end, there were a handful of angry words, followed by calm talking and and even more loving scene because of it...

You know what? I'm fine with that. Never liked arguing anyway, so this suits me well.