• Published 15th Oct 2013
  • 8,191 Views, 822 Comments

The Start of Something New - Rhino



No one ever said being a new parent was easy, especially if your wife is a changeling. Regardless, there is a little one on the way, and Rhino and Gel will have to learn how to be parents, as well as dealing with the first pony-changeling hybrid.

  • ...
12
 822
 8,191

Chapter 21: On the Farm

The sun rises the next day on another larger than average household, this one just as filled with loving family as the last. A mass of light blue mane rouses itself from the comfortable bed, matching eyes rubbed by a pale yellow hoof as the mare fully wakes. She gets out of the bed and onto her hooves, the soft smell of the apple orchards floating in through the open window, something she still appreciates every morning as it reminds her of her husband. As she thinks of the red stallion, she looks to his half of the bed. As always, it's made nice and neat when he gets up before her.

She smiles and does the same before yawning and heading downstairs. Another apple scent, though this one a little more savory, caresses her sense of smell as she wanders into the kitchen, currently occupied by both the oldest and youngest Apples.

The wrinkled visage of Granny Smith turns to Manila. "Mornin' sunshine! Ye're just in time to eat breakfast with Apple Bloom before she heads off to school!"

The mare looks around. "Are Applejack and Big Mac already out in the fields?"

"Yep! Those two are out there workin'." She points a spoon at the blue-maned pony who had opened her mouth to say something. "Now don't you be startin' up again with yer apologizin about sleepin' in. Ya've only been here a week since ya married meh grandson, we ain't expectin ya to rise with the rest of us yet."

"I... thank you." Manila takes a seat at the table next to the yellow filly, taking a few pancakes from the stack in the center of the table.

Said filly looks up at her, swallowing the bite in her mouth before speaking. "Miss Manila? May Ah ask you somethin'?"

She looks kindly back at the bow-wearing filly. "Of course, Apple Bloom."

She tilts her head, her gaze moving to the ceiling. "How come Ah get in trouble for bouncin' on the bed, but you don't?"

Manila quickly takes the bit of pancake she was about to eat away from her mouth as she coughs, her face burning with embarrassment. Granny cackles in the background as the mare turns to Apple Bloom. "Well... umm... it's just... Ah! It's just another one of those things we tell you that you can't do until you're older." She mentally pats herself on the back for avoiding that particular landmine.

She pouts, turning back to her plate. "Why do adults have ta be so secretive?" She shoves a forkful of the fluffy pastry into her mouth, sulking.

Manila takes a bite of her pancakes, humming happily before responding. "Well, last I checked, fillies and colts don't tell their families absolutely everything they've been up to, do they?"

"...maybe not everything." The yellow filly quickly grabs her cup, bringing it up for a long sip.

"I thought so." She ruffles the filly's bow a bit before going back to her own breakfast.

After a minute more of eating, Granny Smith finishes the dishes for now, turning back to her granddaughter. "Alright Bloom, ya got everything ya need for school?"

"Sure do!" She bounds from her chair and snatches up her saddlebag. "Miss Manila, thank ya again fer helpin' me with my report!" She stops next to her, grinning brightly.

"It was my pleasure, Apple Bloom. Please though, call me Manila." She stands up from the table and leans down to nuzzle the filly. "Be sure to let me know if you need any more help, okay?"

"Will do!" She quickly hugs her and rushes out the door, waving as she does. "Have a nice day, Manila!"

Both mares wave to the filly as she darts off, the older one commenting after a moment. "Gettin' to that perceptive age, ain't she? Still, can't say Ah ain't pleased you and mah grandson are gettin' to work on mah great grandfoals."

Manila's face practically glows as she buries it in her forehooves, groaning.

This only makes Granny cackle more, walking over and patting her on the back. "Ah, don't you worry dear, only teasin'. Far as Ah'm concerned, it's just you and Mac bein' a newly married couple. Here, finish up and ya can go help him out in the eastern field this mornin' while Ah get yer lunch ready."

The mare nods gratefully, a small blush still present on her cheeks as she finishes eating and is soon out the door, ears pricked and eyes peeled for her big red lump of a husband.

As she heads further out in the fields, there is the rhythmic clopping of hooves against the earth, punctuated by a pause and a cascade of falling fruit. She turns past a row of trees to see the stallion for which she's been searching, hard at work.

She soon spots him, his tell-tale form backed up to a tree before one of his hindlegs raises and give it a satisfying kick, causing the apples to all fall right into the baskets, an aim that only Apple family or close friends ever seem to come close to. She stops for a moment, half-hidden behind a tree as she watches him duck down and move the baskets to one side of the tree for easy pick up later. The bit of wheat in his mouth shifts to the other side as he lays eyes on his next tree, a light breeze keeping him cool. The mare approaches him as he walks slightly away from her, her eyes slightly glazed as she sees the large taut muscles working beneath his red coat.

Suddenly he stops, bodily turning sideways. "Like what ya see?" There's a tone of amusement to the deep, rumbling voice, and a smile pulling on the corner of his mouth.

She gives an embarrassed giggle as she closes the distance, rubbing her body all along his as she passes, ending with a kiss on his cheek. "I always do. Working hard, Mac?"

"Hardly workin'." He chuckles, pulling her into a short, sweet kiss. "Ya realize you were droolin' a bit, right?"

She nuzzles him. "Are you saying you wouldn't do the same if you caught me wiping the sweat off my head with a cold towel after a long walk of hauling the apple cart?" She rubs her cutie mark against him.

"Nope." He smirks and nuzzles her back, wrapping a foreleg around her, holding her hips still. "Ya know what that does ta me. Ya really wanna risk bein' caught out here?"

She leans against his chest, her head just under his chin. "You know how much I think you're worth it, but still, I suppose I don't want any more awkward questions from Apple Bloom if she starts hearing noises from the fields as well as the room..."

He tenses, eyes darting about a split second before he regains his stoic expression. "She, ah, heard, did she? How much?"

She regains her slight blush. "Nothing bad... she just thinks we were jumping on the bed."

"Ah see." He sighs, turning to the next tree. "As long as that's the most she thinks of it." He glances at the barn as he squares himself up. "Would ya like to try the apple cellar, sometime?" He kicks the tree, liberating its branches of their fruit. "Ah think it might be more secluded."

"I'll leave that up to you... if you ask, I'll always have a hard time resisting." She giggles again, kissing his neck. "Oh, I can't believe how frisky I've gotten since the wedding... I wonder if everypony feels this way..."

"Ah don't know. Ah can say this, though." He smiles, sitting down to pull her into an embrace. "Ah feel the same way."

"Glad to hear it." Their lips meet in a long kiss before she looks around. "I guess you should get back to work before Applejack catches me distracting you again, huh?"

"Too late."

The couple turn to see the mare in question, leaning up against a tree. She smirks, pushing the tip of her hat back. "Can't you two wait 'til noon, at least?"

Big Mac smiles softly. "Nope."

Manila blushes as she scuffs a hoof against the ground. "Sorry Applejack, just saying good morning..."

"Yes, Ah can see that." She turns to her, her smile falling into a flat line. "Ah just don't want an incident like Friday afternoon." She shudders softly. "Ah'll never get that picture outta mah head."

The mare only blushes more and hides herself against her husband. "Well, we have found better ways to fasten the rose to the door handle so that doesn't happen again..." She coughs awkwardly.

"If ya say so." She shakes her head and turns to leave. "Since you're here, mind helpin' Mac out with the harvestin'? We need to start workin' on the stock for cider season, after all."

"Sure thing!" A quick salute is given to the orange mare as she walks off. After waiting a moment longer to see if she comes back, Manila does a quick turn and give Mac one more kiss on the lips. "So, I'm on basket duty again?"

"Eeyup." He chuckles, leaning down and nuzzling her. "Ah think this section's almost done, so it won't take long." He starts to move on to the next tree. "'Sides, Ah think AJ's still a bit upset at you for last year."

She pushes him, or more accurately, attempts to push him but his mass doesn't do more that shift slightly under her effort. "Hey! That wasn't my fault! I didn't know the difference between the hard and regular cider! You still won't tell me what all I did when I was drunk..."

"Well, one thing ya did was cling to AJ for a while. Then..." He coughs lightly, nervous for the first time that day. "Then ya tried ta kiss her."

Manila lets out a groan, burying her face is his coat. "Oh dear..."

He wraps a foreleg around her, smiling softly. "It wasn't that bad. Ya just gave her a peck on the cheek 'fore Ah pulled ya away."

He gets an appreciative nuzzle. "Thank you. Well, let me go ahead and start getting these baskets set up for you so I don't delay you and longer." She starts walking back toward the waiting cart, swinging her hips a bit to give him a treat.

Big Mac chuckles, shaking his head. "Ah don't mind. Ah'm happy with what Ah see." He turns to the tree next to him, running a hoof along its surface. His face returns to its usual stoic state as he does, his mind going back to the job at hoof.

The two work is silence for a few hours, Big Mac doing the bucking while Manila supports him with ways to make his job easier. This includes setting up the baskets, making sure he stays hydrated, and helping him haul the apples to the barn when they get done with a row.

As they collect the last of the apples from that section, the stallion sighs in relief. "That should do it for now." He smiles warmly at Manila, nodding a bit. "Thank ya kindly for the help."

She smiles back, looking down the row and nodding at the fruitless trees and filled baskets. "Not a problem. I'm always here for my stallion."

Big Mac chuckles, draping a foreleg across her back. "Ah'm glad to hear that." He leans down and tenderly kisses her.

She eagerly accepts, the two enjoying their reward of a moment just for the two of them.

Of course, the moment doesn't go for very long before another voice hails them. "There you are!"

They reluctantly break their lips lock to look up and see a pony almost exactly the same as Manila. the only difference between the Goodall sisters is that Mane has two tones of blue in her mane, one slightly lighter, and her coat is the smallest bit darker than Manila's. She descends the hill towards the two, wearing both her saddlebags and presumably her sister's.

Big Mac nods respectfully, a small smile on his face. "Mornin', Mane."

"Hi sis!" Manila waves enthusiastically. "Looks like you found us pretty easily today!"

Mane nods. "Yes, I went to the farmhouse and Granny Smith pointed me in your direction, she sent your bag and lunch too." She motions to the extra saddlebag she's carrying before looking at Mac. "Am I going to have to fight to get her away from you?"

He shakes his head, chuckling warmly. "Nope." He leans closer to the lighter-toned mare, whispering into her ear. "Ah'll be looking forward to when ya return."

His wife giggles as she flutters her half-lidded eyes at him. "Me too." She kisses him lovingly before whispering back. "See you after work."

"See you." He smiles as he starts towards the nearby cart, getting ready to load it with the baskets.

Manila trots over to her sister, accepting her saddlebags and putting them on before nodding as they start on their way off the farm. "So how'd that date you had last night go?"

Mane sighs, shaking her head. "Ah, you know, the usual... he was nice, but overall it was just awkward, there was no spark. It was more like we were just trading statements back and forth."

"Well... better than those ones who left because they didn't like it when you talked about your job, right?" The younger sister smiles winningly, trying to see the bright side.

"I suppose... is it wrong to hope for a date that qualifies as more than 'better than the worst'?" She shakes her head again. "I swear I've tried half the single stallions in town by now..."

"Hey, it'll be okay." Manila affectionately bumps her side. "You'll find your pony, you'll see."

"I don't know sis... I'm thinking of maybe taking a break from the dating scene." Her eyes wander over the fields as they trot along the path. "I'm just... I don't know, maybe I should take more of a patient role. Sit back, watch, be a little more choosy when I eventually try again?"

"Well, I mean, if that's what you want..." Manila tries to clarify what her sister means. "So, like what, are you going to just sort of sit back and reevaluate what you want?"

"Sort of, I suppose." The sound of barking reaches both of their ears, bringing smiles to their faces. "Watch out, looks like we might have company soon."

From down the road comes a group of puppies, all of them wagging and yipping excitedly at the sight of the mares. They almost tumble over themselves as they get close, skidding to a halt less than a yard away. All but one, who charges straight up to the sisters and pants happily, body almost vibrating from how rapidly he's wagging his tail.

Mane crouches down affectionately petting the canine's head. "Hey there, Bandit, how's the pack doing?"

The dog, given his name due to the black fur covering his head above his muzzle, giving a roguish appearance, barks once before licking her face happily.

The vet giggles, nuzzling the pup. "Oh, who's a good boy?" She looks over the pup whose head is at her chest height. "Good thing you don't have much more growing to do, otherwise you and your siblings would almost be as big as ponies." She looks up at the rest. "Speaking of which, how come he's the only one who gives us love? I thought the rest of you liked us too."

At her words, the other canines immediately swarm the sisters. They nuzzle and lick at them, vying for their attention. One puppy, however, takes a bit longer to reach them, holding a forepaw up off the ground when she finally does.

Mane immediately notices this, directing the other pups to all love on Manila, who squeaks as she is surrounded on all sides and trying to give equal love back to all of them. The vet speaks in a gentle voice to the one pup left. "What's the matter, Ginger? Did you hurt your paw?" She reaches down and takes the limb, the mixed red and brown furred pup looking at her with big eyes.

Examining the pad, it's clear the pup stepped onto something, and that something is still in there. With a quick nip of her teeth, the doctor pulls out the offending implement, showing it to be a long, narrow thorn.

Spitting out the thorn, Mane rubs the pad to see if there's anything else wrong. "There we go... That should seal up quickly." She lets the paw fall back down to the ground as she pats the pup's head. "Better?"

She yips brightly, leaping up and licking the mare's face, her paws braced against the pony's chest.

Mane laughs, petting the pup and turning her head so she can speak. "Good girl, good girl, now you try and stay away from those nasty thorns, okay?" A look over at her sister shows the other mare completely buried under the other dogs and squealing the whole time. "Now I've got to rescue Manila..." A quick shooing later and the dogs all happily run off, enjoying the farm as the older sibling helps the younger one up. "You alright?"

Manila, now with her coat going every direction from the constant licking, just laughs and waves her sister off. "Oh I'm fine, that was how Mac and I got woke up this past Saturday. They really are sweethearts."

"Yes they are. Here," she passes the lighter mare a small towel, "Go ahead and get your coat back in order so you don't look like you and Mac had an early morning rolling in the hay."

The other mare blushes brightly as they walk. "Mane~!"