• Published 11th Oct 2013
  • 551 Views, 10 Comments

Oh, Most Wonderful of Nights - TheMessenger



Nightmare Night isn't just for kids. Some treats can be sweeter than candy.

  • ...
2
 10
 551

This is the Best Night of the Year for Pranks

This is the Best Night of the Year for Pranks

"Nightmare Night, what a fright, give us something sweet to bite!"

"Oh no," the old mare groaned. "Not you."

"Evening Mrs. Sawdust," Songbird replied politely. "I do hope you have something better this year."

"Yes, of course," Sawdust grumbled. "Do you know how long it took my husband and I to get rid of all that egg yoke last year? And where's that scoundrel you call a husband? Please tell me he's a dog this year and you have him on a leash."

"Daddy's at home with the Feather Flu," Medley answered, holding up her bag.

"Is he now?" The mare's expression softened as her own feathers rustled against her sides. "Poor child, is he alright?"

"He had to miss out on tonight," Songbird said, holding up her bag.

"No wonder the night's been so quiet." She dropped a pack of fruit snacks into Medley's bag and a granola bar in Songbird's. Songbird raised an eyebrow.

"That's all you're getting."

"Well at least give me the honey flavored one."

"Stop being so childish. Set a good example for your daughter."

"I am," the Unicorn said fiercely. "Medley, sweetie, pay attention. This is how you make a scene in order to get more candy."

"I didn't bring any paper."

"You don't need to take notes, just watch."

"Fine! If it'll get you to leave," Sawdust growled as she dug her hoof deep into the jar of goodies. With a yelp, she withdrew it back as if bitten. The jar fell to the floor, spilling its contents over onto the ground.

"Are you alright?" Songbird asked as she knelt down to help clean up the mess.

"I'm fine," the older mare answered. "It was just...I felt something really cold in there."

"You're hoof's all sticky, Mrs. Sawdust," said Medley, pointing.

Sawdust looked at the hoof. The child was right; something gooey clung to her fingers. She licked it and grimaced. "Egg yolk," she observed. "How did..." The Pegasus shook her head. "I must be getting old."

"Well, we'd love to stay and chat but we've still got lots to do tonight. Say good night, Medley."

"Good night Medley!"

Sawdust chuckled. "You have fun, child. Keep out of trouble, you hear?"

"I will! Thanks for the candy!"

When the two got to a good distance, Medley turned and whispered, "Did I do good?"

Songbird nodded. "Best distraction ever," she said, opening her bag. "Now remember, Medley, what is this normally called?"

"Stealing and I should feel bad for doing it."

"That's right. But tonight is special, okay? Just for tonight, we'll let it slide. Now..." Songbird reached into their plunder. "Who wants the toothbrush?"

*****

"Songbird, baby, I was wondering when you'd show up!"

The Wonderbolt imposter wrapped her wings around the Unicorn closely. Songbird noticed rather uncomfortably just how formfitting the costume was.

"H-hello Keeper," she managed to say as she tried to escape. "Um, nice costume."

"Thanks," Keeper said with a giggle. "I had it made for my coltfriend and thought, why buy a new costume when I've already got this one?"

"Medley, shut your eyes."

"Oh, and don't worry, Singing," the Pegasus mare said bubbly, letting Songbird free at last. "I got you the good stuff."

"Oh?" Songbird's smile returned in full strength.

"Yep." Keeper presented a small bottle shaped chocolate. "Made with real Prance scotch."

"Oh." The smile drooped a bit. It wasn't that Songbird hated alcohol. No, she just preferred her chocolates and wines separate.

"And don't think I've forgotten about you, kiddo," the Wonderbolt said, winking at the filly who was still covering her eyes. "And one for you too."

"Yeah, I don't think so."

"Party pooper." Keeper flipped her pink mane out of her eyes. "Hey, where's Sight? Is he still afraid to talk to me after that New Years Eve? Serious, it was just a kiss."

Songbird brought her hoof to her mouth and coughed. "He's sick this year," she explained. "Feather Flu."

"Ouch, bummer. And I was really excited to show him this outfit."

"Why are we friends again?"

"I know! I'll let you borrow it sometime. I mean, what Pegasus doesn't have fantasies about the Wonderbolts? You know what'd I do if I had Soarin' tied up in my bedroom?"

Songbird quickly ushered the young zombie away. "And we're leaving."

"But Mom, we didn't get any candy."

"YeswedidgoodnightKeeperbye!"

"Wait, you forgot your...oh, she's gone." The Pegasus shrugged. "Meh, I suppose I could just give it to her at the festival later but..." The wrapper was already gone. Keeper smiled as she took a bite and liquid began to flow down her throat. She immediately spat it out.

"Bleh, Prance has no taste. What kind of booze is suppose to taste like mouthwash?"

*****

"Now this looks promising."

"I don't know," Medley whimpered, clutching to her mother's cloak. She peeked from behind Songbird's back, only to duck back with a squeak. "Maybe we should go to the next house," she suggested weakly.

Now Songbird wasn't the kind of pony that listened to ghost stories around a campfire without an ounce of skepticism but if she did openly believe in haunting spirits, this was the residence she'd look for them. Well, at least for tonight; on most evening, the Rich estate was a simple affair but on holidays this was the most decorated home in town. On Hearth's Warming Eve, the lawn became a picnic ground for a family of professionally made snowponies and it became a tradition for the entire town to gather at the front when Ebony Rich hit the switch for the annual Hearth's Warming light show.

Tonight, tombstones littered the the lawn, marking shallow unfinished graves with skeletal hooves sticking out, one for every resident of Ponyville with a short description of the pony's life and rather grisly death. Ebony had enlisted the help of a certain pink baker as he marked each stone with the accurate name and birthdate and a depressingly close date of departure.

"Huh, looks like I die from sugar overdose tonight." Songbird got back up to her feet and chuckled. "Ridiculous."

"Mommy, can we go somewhere else?" Medley asked. "I don't like the way that skull's look at me."

"We've come this far. We can't leave without our prize." The Unicorn smirked. "Or are you a chicken?"

"No! I'm a zombie!"

"Then you shouldn't be afraid of a little graveyard." Songbird patted her daughter's head. "We'll just grab our candy and leave, okay?"

Medley eyed the "bloodstained" door and gulped. "Okay."

Songbird gently urged the filly forward. "Don't worry, I'll be right behind you."

"Promise?"

"I promise."

The young Unicorn took a deep breath and ran forward, screaming as she passed the tree branches reaching toward her and a dozen phantom assailants. Medley danced nervously on the dark dusty porch as she waited for her mother.

"Hurry, Mom!"

"I'm right here," Songbird said, nuzzling Medley's cheek. "Brave girl. Now we just need to knock on the door."

Medley took another breath, taking strength in her mother's words. "I'll do it," she declared fiercely and raised her hoof. She jumped back as the door suddenly swung open. A large masked pony in the most ragged coat Medley had ever seen stared down at her with glowing eyes. It reached into the coat and roared, pulling out its weapon: a balloon sword.

"Seriously?" Songbird asked as Medley screamed and hid behind her.

The masked pony shrugged. "Somepony moved my chainsaw and replaced it with a bunch of balloons. I had to improvise. It was either this or chasing you two with a poodle."

A small giggle rose from behind Songbird. Hesitantly, Medley took a step forward.

"Why, hello there." The mask came off, revealing a smiling stripped face. "If it isn't little Medley."

"Hi Mr. Rich," she greeted. "Happy Nightmare Night!"

"And a very happy Nightmare Night to you too." Rich reached back into his pockets and pulled out a pair of lollipops. "Hey, where's Sight? Where is he on this spooky night?"

"You're beginning to sound like your aunt, Ebony," Songbird said. "Speaking of which, will she be telling the Nightmare Moon story this year?"

"Not this year, I afraid," Ebony sighed. "The mayor asked me to fill in but I just don't have the same exotic mystic."

"Dad's sick. Can I have an extra one for him?"

"You just want another sucker, don't you?" Ebony Rich laughed. "Here."

"What about me?"

"Sorry, Songbird. If I gave everypony two I'd go bankrupt."

"Cheapskate," grumbled the Unicorn. "See you at the festival later tonight?"

The zebra flashed a mysterious grin. "Oh, I wouldn't miss it for the world."

*****

"..."

"Don't. Say. Anything."

"Isn't Princess Celestia white?" Medley asked. "Why is your costume pink?"

'Pinkestia' lifted her head to the night heavens and screamed in frustration. Songbird took the opportunity to swipe another two cookies.

*****

"Mom, Mom, Mom..."

"Go ahead, sweetie," Songbird said, grateful for the break. Her bag was getting heavy. "Spend some time with your friends."

"Yay!" Medley cheered as she ran off toward two other foals. One appeared to be a victim of a cart accident, wrapped head to toe with bandages, and the other was a Pegasus in another Wonderbolt uniform. Songbird could hear their excited chatter from here.

Songbird took a sip from her cup of pumpkin juice just as a shadow fell upon her. She looked up and smiled.

"Looks like you finished that thing in time, Wrench," the Unicorn said, making room for the robotic pony. As it sat down, the head came off, revealing a young mare covered in sweat.

"You have no idea how hard it is to move in this thing," she complained, reaching for Songbird's cup and downing it in a single gulp. She wiped her lips with the back of her armored hoof and grinned. "But it was all worth it. There's no way Sight's gonna get me this year, thanks to the Anti-Prank Suit Mark IV, patient pending." The mare looked around. "Where is that ass anyways?"

"Hey!"

"No offense, Mr. Doodle."

The old ninja humphed and moved to a more culturally sensitive table.

"Sight's sick," Songbird said, waving to the waiter for a refill. "So I guess he still got one joke on you." She smirked as the mare's bravado dissolved. "Great costume though. The blinking lights are a nice touch."

"Nah, those are just sparks. I fell into a puddle earlier and messed up the radar. I was just glad the 'Sight Tracker', patient pending, still works, though if Sight's out of action there's really not much point is there?"

"You have a tracking device on my husband?"

"I've got one on just about every stallion in town, why?"

"...how much?"

The two mares shared a laugh. Songbird waved again at the suited pony, holding up her glass. "Geez, what's with the slow service tonight? I mean, even on busy nights like tonight this place is always on top of things."

"You sure that's the actual waiter and not just some random guy in a costume?"

"Who in the right of mind would dress up as a waiter for Nightmare Night?"

"Well, creative is lost between generations, you know." Wrench sighed. "I saw five kids running around just wearing sheets with eye holes and calling themselves ghosts. You know how it was in the good old days, right? When everypony had something unique..."

"Please don't say 'good old days'. Medley makes me feel old enough as it is."

"...and if you found somepony with the same costume, you fought them and the loser had to go home and change." The yellow Earth Pony nodded with a smile. "Yep, the good old days, when tomatoes were only two bits and you had to fight for your asparagus. And speaking of food-ow!"

"Hooves off my loot."

"You broke through the steel! Do you know how long it took me to temper it into shape?"

"Don't care. Don't touch my candy."

*****

"Wow, Medley, how'd you get so much?"

Medley giggled. "Mommy taught me some secrets."

"You've got gotta tell us," the bandaged colt pleaded.

"Nuh uh, then it wouldn't be a secret."

The trio wandered through town, spending a few minutes there and playing a few games here. The three foals now stood in line for the pumpkin catapults generously donated by the farming families of Ponyville. "How about this?" the littlest Wonderbolt offered. "Whoever hits the furthest target gets half of the others's candy?"

"What, no way!" Medley exclaimed.

"Half? That's a little much, don't you think?"

"Fine, how about the winner gets any piece they want from the losers's stuff."

Medley and the colt looked to each other, then nodded. "Alright," she said.

"Sounds fair."

"Great! And I know exactly which pieces I'm gonna take." The Pegasus grinned wickedly.

"Next?" called the supervisor, brushing straw out of her eyes. "Go ahead, choose your pumpkin and load it in."

The Pegasus regarded the patch with a critical eye. At last, she found one to her satisfaction.

"You need help with that, kid?"

"Nah, it's real light." She placed the gourd into the catapult and gave it a kiss. "Make Mama proud." She pulled the catapult down and released, sending the pumpkin flying into a bright red target.

The pumpkin bounced right off.

"What?"

The entire crowd paused for a moment and watched as the orange sphere slowly rolled away from the target. The supervisor approached cautiously and picked it up.

"It's...a basketball."

"What?"

"Huh, how'd that get in there?" The pony shrugged, sending bits of straw tumbling off. "Next!"

"Hey, hold on," the Pegasus filly whined. "That shouldn't count!"

"Sorry kid but we've got a line to keep moving. Next?"

"Sorry 'bout that Blitzy," the colt said with a confident grin. "Looks like your mini pie is as good as mine."

"Hmph."

The colt made his way into the patch, carefully so as to avoid tripping over a few trailing bandages. "This one," he said, lifting up a large pumpkin with some difficulty. "Wow, this is heavy."

The catapult was loaded. The colt pulled it back and released.

The catapult bent back and broke and rolled the pumpkin back toward the gaping foal.

"A bowling ball," observed the manager of the game. "Now this is just getting silly."

The three left the game with Medley's bag now holding a new cupcake and a caramel apple. The former owners grumbled the rest of the way to the apple bobbing station.

"Howdy, ya'll," greeted the orange scarecrow. "Sorry but we're closed for the time being. Right now we're kinda waiting for the water to thaw." The farm mare shook her head. "Haven't got a clue how it got all frozen up like that. Can't even blame Rainbow Dash or Sight this year."

"Oh, you kids are here too?"

Medley turned around and dashed forward. "Mommy!" she said, giving her a hug. "We had so much fun. There were so many games and stuff. Nightmare Night really is the best!" The little Unicorn tilted her head and looked past Songbird. "Mom, what's wrong with that robot?"

Songbird rolled her eyes. "Wrench was a little impatient and tried to break the ice with her head." The inflicted mare groaned as if in confirmation. "She broke enough for an ice pack though. You too having fun as well?" she asked Medley's friends.

"Yes ma'am."

"Mrs. Songbird," the Pegasus filly said, "could you teach us how to gather as much candy as Medley?"

"Sorry, Blitz. Family secret. But it looks like you've got a pretty decent haul yourself." Songbird quickly caught herself and withdrew her hoof from the child's bag. "You three should head to the stage. The tale of Nightmare Moon will start pretty soon." To the orange Earth Pony she asked, "Do you know who's the storyteller this year?"

"Can't say for sure," the mare admitted. "Ah hear Twilight might."

"Twilight? As in Princess Sparkle?" Wrench tried to get up. "As in the Princess Twilight Sparkle?"

"The one and only," chuckled the mare. "Ponyville's always been a second home. Being a princess never changed that. Ah wonder if Princess Luna'll show up this year too." With a nod, the pony went off.

"Wow. The princesses, here. Just...wow. Pass me my helmet. I need to make sure it still looks alright even with the dent. Hey, are you even listening?"

"Huh?" Songbird tore her eyes away from the dance floor. They had lingered on a specific couple swaying together to the beat of the music. A knight and his princess.

"Yeah, of course, something about the princesses or something."

"Well that was an underwhelming response," the yellow mare said. "I mean, it's the princess!"

"You'll get used to it after living in Ponyville for a couple of years. Princess Twilight visits almost every weekend to have tea with the other Elements of Harmony. How did you not know that?"

"Wait, Ponyville is also home to the Elements of Harmony?"

"...you were talking to the Element of Honesty earlier."

"What, really? Who?"

Before Songbird could respond, a microphone feedback cut through the air. A clown stood on the stage and clear her throat.

"Welcome everypony, to the Nightmare Night Festival," the clown declared over the cheering crowd. "Now, unfortunately our dear friend Zecora has a scratchy throat and couldn't make it tonight. But don't you fear, for tonight we have a special guest who will guide all little foals to the annual candy offering and will be telling the tale of...Nightmare Moon, mwuhahaha!"

"Does she really have to wear that stupid wig?"

"It's a tradition," Songbird explained.

"And now presenting, Princess Twilight Sparkle!"

A loud applause broke out as a winged Unicorn stepped onto the stage and waved shyly. The bells on her hat jingled and the foals giggled quietly as their princess nearly tripped over her magnificent fake beard. Twilight didn't seem to mind. She giggled along with them as she tossed the beard over her shoulder.

"Thank you, Ponyville, for the warm welcome," she spoke in a friendly tone that still contained regality appropriate for a mare of her statue.

"I-is she reading from a stack of notecards?"

"Yep."

"It is an honor to be here and to have this opportunity to teach the new generation the traditions and customs of the old. History is important and should never be forgotten, least it be repeated. As such, I have prepared a condensed, twelve page lecture on the history of this holiday and, with blessings from my colleague Princess Luna, on the subject of Nightmare Moon. After that we shall go over all the necessary safety precautions for traveling through the Everfree Forest..."

"Great," Songbird sighed. "If this is anything like the time she substituted for my class we could be here all night."

*****

"...all the necessary safety precautions for traveling through the Everfree Forest. Although we will be following the safest route where there is little danger, the Everfree Forest is still full of surprises. For instance..."

Medley felt somepony tug on her costume. "C'mon, let's go," the Pegasus filly hissed.

She hesitated for a moment, looking back to the lecturing Alicorn before making her decision and following the friend.

"Where are we going?" Medley whispered as she and Blitz snuck through the crowd.

"My older brother told me how to get to the deposit site. If we hurry, we'll get there before anypony else and scare the manes off them."

"You sure that's a good idea? And where's Harpsy?"

"He's busy being a wimp," Blitz snorted. "Don't worry, we'll be fine. I'm great with directions."

"Then why are we going the wrong way? Shouldn't we be going in the direction of Sweet Apple Acres?"

"Um, this is a short cut."

"This dead end alley is a short cut?" Medley shook her head. "Yeah, I think I'll just wait for Princess Sparkle."

She turned around and scowled as she found her path blocked off by three very pink, very fake princesses. "Not you three."

"Well, what do we have here?" the leader smirked. "The chicken and the-"

"Save it, Sunny," Blitz growled, crouching low. "What do you want?"

"Ha, look it that, the chicken thinks she's a Wonderbolt. Doesn't she know you have to be able to fly in order to join?" The bullies laughed.

"Hey, you take that back!" The Pegasus tried to break out of Medley's grasp as she struggled to pull her back. "I'll show you! I'll show all of you!"

"Why can't you just leave us alone?" Medley asked. "I told you, Sunny, we didn't know that was your cinnamon bun."

"It had my name on it!" Sunny screamed

"That was three years ago! I couldn't read!"

"It doesn't matter," the filly huffed, flicking her mane. "It's only appropriate that you pay us back. Give us the candy."

"What?" Medley and Blitz gasped. "No way!"

"But it looks like you've got so much more than us," the bully said in a sickeningly sweet voice, like poisoned honey as the bullies stared at Medley's bulging bag. One of the flanking princesses licked her lips. "Shouldn't you share?"

She and her lackeys took a step forward. Medley took a step back.

"You heard us! No way!" Blitz stood forward. She lowered her head and pawed at the ground in front of her. "If you want it you have to get through me!" the little Pegasus challenged.

"No problem, chicken." Sunny smirked, taking another step forward before screaming as a torrent of water fell on her head.

"My dress!" she wailed. The soaked filly twisted around, her eyes searching the area behind her. "Who did this? Show yourself!"

Sunny and her thugs jumped as thunder roared and a flash a light blinded them. When sight returned, a large cloaked figure stood between them and Medley and Blitz.

"Hey, did you do this?" demanded the enraged filly. "Do you know how much this dress costed? Hey stupid, I'm right here!"

The figure turned. As it did its hood fell off, revealing a bright pale masquerade mask on a deathly pale stallion. Tilting his head, the stallion stumbled toward the princesses, taking shaky uneven steps. Another bolt of lightning streaked above. In the darkness the white mask seemed to glow.

Something began to gush from the eye socket of the mask. Something crimson.

The stallion grinned manically, flashing red stained teeth. He moved another step closer. This time, Sunny took a step back.

A sudden violent pop sent all the foals jumping into the air. The minute the bullies landed the three ran off screaming, leaving behind a trail of bonbons, candy corn, and gumdrops and tears of fright.

The monster of a pony shook his head and turned to the two remaining fillies who were doing their best to blend into the background.

"Don't come any closer!" Blitz cried, spreading her wings in an effort to appear larger and more intimidating. "My mom taught me karate!"

Medley stood next to her, horn glowing with magic. Like Blitz, it was little more than a bluff. She couldn't even use her magic as a makeshift lantern, much less a means of defense against crazy foal-eating psychotics.

The stallion regarded his prey for a moment before flipping the hood back over his head, hiding the mask once again. With not a word, he turned around and began to walk away.

"W-wait!"

The stallion stopped. Medley swallowed hard before saying, "Um, thank you mister."

"What are you doing?" Blitz hissed.

"Well, he did kinda save us from Sunny," Medley said awkwardly, rubbing the back of the her head. "Dad says you've gotta be polite to ponies when they help you, else they won't help you again."

"You're an idiot, you know-" Blitz interrupted herself with a gulp as the stallion approached once again.

He stood in front Medley, then pointed at her bag. Obediently, the filly opened it. The stallion reached into his coat and dropped two items into the bag. With a final nod, he stalked off, disappearing as lightning flashed.

Blitz shivered. "W-who was that guy?"

"No idea." Medley reached in and pulled out her most recent gifts: a fun-size bar of her favorite chocolate brand and a half empty box of popper firecrackers.

"Hey," the Pegasus filly called, "I think he dropped something else."

*****

"...which brings me to my next point-"

Nopony heard Princess Sparkle's next point as it was hidden beneath the screams of a trio of fillies dressed like princesses out of a sugary fairytale.

"There's a monster in town!" shouted the wet one. "A monster! It look like a pony but it wasn't!"

A collective silence hung over the town. A few eye brows were raised and a few jaws dropped. Eventually, a few snickers punctured the silence which quickly grew among the adults.

"Kids and their imagination, eh?" Wrench laughed, nudging Songbird's ribs none too gently with a metallic hoof.

"I'm so sorry about, Princess," the clown apologized as she went to Twilight Sparkle's side. "I'm sure those three are just in the spirit of the holiday, ha ha...please don't redirect our funding."

Twilight just smiled. "It's nice to see children so active these days. Now back to the subject of the tradition of gathering candy and why attempts to replace sweets with healthier alternatives have failed..."

That's when the lights went out. Save for a few lights coming from the nearby establishments and an occasional lantern, the entire town center was in darkness. Several of the flightier ponies began to mutter worriedly.

"No need to panic," the clown assured. "Just a few technical difficulties, nothing major."

"That's odd, we weren't planning to shut off the town's power just yet."

"What?"

"Kidding, I'm kidding."

As the rainbow-wigged mayor recovered from her princess's ill timed jest, a blinding burst of lightning exploded in the air. Thunder shortly followed.

"Ponyville, beyond!"

All of Ponyville turned to the direction of the booming voice. There, standing on the roof tops was a cloaked figure wearing a bright pale masquerade mask. A blazing torch stood besides the figure, casting a long sinister shadow over the townsfolk.

"It's him!" Sunny shrieked. "It's the monster!"

The stallion looked to the heavens and directed towards them with an unsteady hoof. Most of the ponies followed his hoof into the starry night sky. Songbird let her eyes fall momentarily on the cloaked pony on the rood. She caught him slipping the hoof back into the cloak but before she could consider the action her attention returned to the stars as a loud burst boomed over the town, painting the sky with bright orange sparks.

This time Songbird heard the telltale whistle of a rocket and caught its trailing streaks before another explosion colored the sky. Like little orange and yellow stars making a constellation, the sparks formed a grinning Jack-O-Lantern. Before the image could disappear, another one appeared, this time as a blue piece of candy. More fireworks filled the sky as oohs and ahhs filled the town. A yellow bat, a green lollipop, another Jack-O-Lantern. Songbird could even make out the shape of a crow. Even the simple ones that simply flew into the air and exploded in color struck awe, especially among the younger ponies.

A moment passed and for that moment nothing happened. A few ponies moaned in disappointment just as a long stream of rockets fired into the sky. Blue sparks flew about and as the constant cascade became stable, several gasped at the sight of an image of Princess Luna staring back down. As the sparks died, more quickly replaced them until it was as if a new permanent constellation. To the side of her was a pair of Unicorns, a mare and her foal. At her other side was a lone Pegasus.

Eventually, however, the storm of rockets slowed and died and the images faded away. All that lingered now was the scent of used black powder and, oddly enough, peppermint and garlic.

"Ponyville!" Princess Sparkle declared, throwing aside her notes. "Let's have a wonderful Nightmare Night tonight!"

Twilight leaped off the stage as foals crowded around her cheering. She was intercepted by the mayor whose wig was now slightly askew.

"Did you plan this?"

The princess smiled mysteriously. She shot a certain masked zebra a wink and turned to the rooftops which were now vacant. "Single file, children. No need to push..."

Wrench shut her mouth. "Well, that was definitely something."

Songbird nodded in agreement. "Oh, Sight's going to be so jealous. I can't believe he missed it."

"Mom! Mom!"

Medley and her friend skid to a stop before the two mares and took a moment to catch their breath.

"Hi girls. What did you think? How was your first Nightmare Night?"

"That. Was. Awesome!" Blitz exclaimed, flaring her wings. "This has got to be the best Nightmare Nights ever!"

"Well, it's certainly in my top five," Songbird said with a chuckle. "Where were you two headed in such a hurry?"

"Mom, did you see where the weird stallion go?" Medley asked. "We saw him in the alley and he dropped these."

Medley held up her hooves for her mother to see.

Author's Note:

In this story, Diamond Tiara married a zebra. I may or may not expand on this idea.