• Published 4th Mar 2012
  • 822 Views, 19 Comments

A Daring Do and Epsilon Hoof Tale: The Teardrop Keystone - Silver Cloud Drifter



Daring Do and the investigator Epsilon Hoof must find the elusive Teardrop Keystone

  • ...
1
 19
 822

Ch. 7: Professor Crane

Hey guys! So, this chapter was just something I came up with recently. It's just supposed to introduce a character that wouldn't leave my brain alone unless I put it into words. So, kinda short, but it's to be expected since I'm just introducing the character. Enjoy!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ch 7 Professor Crane

After staking out the warehouse, Jett and Ruby had tried to coax some information out of the other patrons in the bar, but all that had resulted in was for Jett to get a black eye. They returned to their hotel room to find Daring and Epsilon already there. After explaining what had happened with the thugs following them and Jett finished his tale of them going to the Red Light Center, and much disbelief that the two of them had met the same homeless kid, the quartet tried to figure out how they were to proceed.

Jett wanted to go forth and raid the warehouse, which Epsilon pointed out could be disastrous or embarrasing. If Celestia's Disciples were hiding there, they would be hopelessly outnumbered, and for all they knew, the movement behind the boarded up windows could have been ponies planning to renovate the building. Ruby wanted to go after Brother and give him a piece of her mind, but Daring shot down the idea saying the kid was no idiot and would probably be extra careful to avoid any one of them.

In the end, they came to the decision that the only real, solid lead they had was the strange incidents in the salt mines, so they decided that they would head out to investigate once they proper preparations had been made. And so it was decided.

ooX~Xoo

Later that night, after Daring, Jett, and Ruby had gone to sleep, Epsilon found himself unable to find that lull. He got up, put on his coat, and set off to find someplace to get some repose. Walking around in the middle of the night anywhere was dangerous, and Epsilon knew hanging around the poverty stricken areas of Dabylon would only increase that danger, so he headed off to a modern area and found a much nicer bar than Jett and Ruby had and took a seat.

Despite the late hour, there was still a few ponies scattered around drinking away. Epsilon got a brandy and swilled it around briefly before taking a drink. "Well, well. Look who I found here. It's been a while, Hoof."

Epsilon's face set into a scowl as he recognized the voice, and he slowly turned around. A stallion with a deep, black coat and a slick, blue mane was the source of the voice. He looked much better than the last time Epsilon saw him, although there were dark rings under his eyes. "Obscuro Crane. Last I heard of you was a few years ago, when Canterlot Yard said you were sentenced to death. I never really believed you were dead, considering they never got back to me on what happened to you."

"Oh, still living in the past aren't you Hoof?"

"Why shouldn't I? After all, you were mine and Pennworthy's first arrest. And our 7th arrest. And our 15th. And our 21st. So what happened? Why aren't you dead?"

"Same unpleasant Epsilon. As for why I'm still alive, new evidence was found, after you decided to quit that case, giving me a water tight alibi, even though I knew all along I was innocent."

"You aren't innocent. I don't believe it."

"Fine. I was not guilty. Call it what you want. So, I returned to teaching my students about shadow magic at the university."

"A course I can't believe anyone would still attend considering the professor is a criminal with hideous crimes under his belt due to his dabbling with shadow magic."

"Epsilon! Why so unpleasant. This is me, you're old mentor and friend, Professor Crane. So, what are you doing here Hoof?"

"If you really must know, I'm on a case for Canterlot Yard."

"Shadow magic perhaps?"

"That is my business and mine alone, Crane," Epsilon replied with a locked jaw. "So, what are you doing here?" Epsilon finally asked.

"Oh I've been travelling the world, seeing many wonders for myself. You could say travelling is now the keystone to keeping my reality sane. Oh look at the time. It's getting late Epsilon. I enjoyed our talk and hope we can speak again. I'll be seeing you," the unicorn said before leaving the bar and a thoughtful Epsilon.

Hoof started swilling his drink again. He sat there, staring into the glass, wondering where Obscuro fit into all this. "What's your game this time, Crane?" Epsilon thought.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This rival for Epsilon wouldn't leave me alone until I posted this. So, if you're lost, Obscuro Crane is a professor of shadow magic at a university and used to be Epsilon's teacher in it. The lure of shadow magic was too powerful for Crane, though, and he surrendered himself to it and did some criminal things. He was Epsilon's first case, and the case that started his friendship with Pennworthy. After being arrested, put to jail, and released, Obscuro went back to his criminal ways delving deeper into shadow magic. Epsilon was assigned to investigate Obscuro's next three crimes. The last time Crane was arrested, he was meant to be put to death. However, new evidence had been found giving Crane new immunity. So he was released. Now, what does Obscuro Crane's showing up have to do with the teardrop keystone? Where does he stand? Could he possibly really have no involvement? You'll just have to wait and see.

Feedback is much appreciated. Next chapter will come out in a week at the latest. I swear. Also, around the time I upload the chapter after this one, I'll also be posting a new story that doesn't involve Daring and Epsilon. It's basically the everyday adventures of my OC, Silver Shadow, and his friends. It's more of a slice of life in Equestria story. Each chapter in that story will basically just be like an episode of MLP, not really connecting to other episodes. So, look forward to that. Also, 4th wall. That's all I'm saying.

So, until next time, Silver, out! :pinkiehappy: