• Published 4th Mar 2012
  • 822 Views, 19 Comments

A Daring Do and Epsilon Hoof Tale: The Teardrop Keystone - Silver Cloud Drifter



Daring Do and the investigator Epsilon Hoof must find the elusive Teardrop Keystone

  • ...
1
 19
 822

Ch. 3: Departure

Hello everypony! I'm back with yet another chapter in my Daring/Epsilon saga. You guys remember Jett Barr, the earth pony in Daring Do's photo? Hope you do. *hint hint. wink wink* I had some more free time and was able to get this chapter on fimfiction earlier than usual.
The easter egg from last week, Canterlot Yard, is a reference to Scotland Yard. I'm not sure how often I'll be putting them in. Probably every so often so they stay "easter eggs" and not "just another reference."
So, I hope you guys enjoy this next chapter, and thanks for reading it!
-------------------------------------
Ch. 3 Departure

After returning home from the murder scene, Daring Do tried to fall asleep, unsuccesfully. Too many thoughts raced through her head. Who was the original murderer? What is he planning? Why are Celestia's Disciples involved? But aside from all that was the fact that she was incredibly thrilled to be going on another adventure. And not just any adventure. A quest to find the fabled teardrop keystone!

After lying awake for hours, Daring Do looked at her bedside clock. 6:00 A.M. The first rays of the sun were beginning to show in the sky. She decided to take it upon herself to visit Jett. He wouldn't mind, she knew. He had been with her on the expidition when they had unearthed Nezerra's tomb. He would be a good edition to the team, she thought.

After donning her trusty pith helmet, Daring Do set out. The pegasi of Gallopolis were busy clearing the skies. It was promising to be a bright sunny day. Far above her, she could see some of the houses of the pegasi made out of clouds. She was struck with the pang of great sadness she recieved every time she looked to the sky. She had loved flying. And she was great at it, if she had anything to say about it. When she had been first notified of the fact that she could no longer fly, she was devastated completely. She spent hours at Jett's house, brooding and wrapped in a blanket of depression. The pegasi were nice enough to say she could stay in her cloud home. After all, her injury didn't impair her ability to walk or help with the weather.

But she had declined. The house filled her with remorse now that she couldn't fly. The thought of having to travel in the elder balloon, a hot air balloon used for the older pegasus that couldn't fly, would hurt her pride more than any injury would. So she had gotten a house on the floor of Gallopolis. While the initial months had been a haze of depression for Daring, she had learned to live with it and move on with life, and eventually, that emotional wound became a scar; still there, but not quite so severe. The proof that she was fine could be seen in her successes. She was doing pretty good for a pegasus who couldn't fly.

Daring Do arrived at Jett's house and knocked on his door. No answer. She knocked again.

Still nothing.

Daring produced a key from her pocket and unlocked the door. Jett had given it to her when they were both still studying at University of Equestria: Gallopolis. The good ol' days at UEG, Daring Do remembered with a smile.

As she stepped through the the door, Daring Do noticed the horrible state of her best friend's house. Various trash was spilled over the floor, clothes were scattered everywhere, empty takeout boxes lay on the table, unwashed dishes in the sink. Nice to see Jett hasn't changed, thought Daring.

She entered Jett's bedroom and was met by the sight of him snoring loudly on the couch. None too gently, she shook Jett awake. "Huh?! Wha's goin' on?!" the copper stallion groggily said.

"Rise and shine Jett," Daring said.

"Daring, it's so early! Why wake me up now?!" Jett complained. He had never been a morning person, and it was normal for Daring Do to enter his house unannounced, often to wake him up.

"Good to see you too Jett."

"So D, what're you doing here?" Jett asked, using her little known nickname.

"Oh you know, I was in the neighborhood and just thought I'd tell you what I've been up to lately."

"Which is?"

"Oh the usual. Interrogating assault victims, getting information of long lost treasures, attending murder scenes, yaddah, yaddah, yaddah."

"That doesn't sound like the usual at all."

"Do you remember Epsilon Hoof?"

"Yeah. Didn't we meet him on one of our digs?He was on some case of rogue Zebra sorcerers or something."

"Right. Well, now I'm on an investigation with him."

Jett whistled at that. "Daring Do. Professional archealogist, renowned treasure hunter, and now an investigator."

"I wouldn't have agreed if not for two things. One; a victim of a murder had a note stuck to him with my name on it. Two; the case is also about finding the teardrop keystone."

Jett's eyes widened. "The teardrop keystone? It exists?" Daring Do proceeded to fill in Jett with everything that had happened, from Epsilon's visit, to last night's murder scene. "And I suppose you're here to try and convince me to come along on this journey?"

"Yeah. Epsilon wants me to get a few archealogists that are familiar with the area."

"You sure it's not an excuse to go on an adventure with your best friend? I'm deeply flattered, D." Jett dodged a punch from Daring Do, laughing.

Jett continued. "So who else are you gonna get to come along?"

"I'm not sure, but I thought, maybe Ruby Ice." Ruby Ice was a beautiful unicorn that had also been on the Nezerra excavation with Jett and Daring.

"You sure you want her? She does tend to like shiny things. What if you find the keystone and she takes it?"

Ruby could be vain. And did enjoy jewels. But Daring had the utmost confidence in her. "Ruby wouldn't do that. Not with an artifact like that. An abandoned diamond necklace in a ruined house, rather than an emerald keystone in a ruin, probably."

"Oka-ay. So. When are we supposed to leave?"

"Should be in a few days. So I'd start getting ready." Daring Do stood up to leave.

"Wait D!"

She turned back. "Yeah?"

"Mind helping me clean up around here?" Jett asked sheepishly.

Classic Jett, thought Daring. Reluctantly, she agreed.

ooX~Xoo

Ruby Ice was busily working in her jewelry shop with a customer. Busily trying to stop his perpetual attempts to flirt with her hopelessly. She was really beginning to get uncomfortable when she heard the bell to signal the door had been opened. When she saw Daring Do and Jett Barr walk in, she couldn't be more relieved to come up with an excuse to leave her customer.

"Daring! Jett! You've arrived just on time!" She turned to the other pony, which was still trying to convince her to go to dinner. "Listen sir. I'm terribly sorry but this is a very serious matter I have to attend to. You understand of course. So I'm afraid you'll have to come back...never!" She emphasised that last word by almost throwing him out the door and slamming the door in the dejected pony's face.

"You would not believe who relieved I am you two showed up," Ruby said.

"What the heck was that about?" Jett asked.

"I was simply trying to let a hopeless pony down easy, but he wouldn't take no for an answer! So I had to be completely honest with my feelings. And conveyed them with actions."

Dating Do whistled. "That's unlike you Ruby. Usually you just use the desperate ponies that come flocking at your door."

"I used to use them. And I can't help it that I'm appealing to the eyes," Ruby said, not even trying to be humble. She was a beautiful unicorn with a body that was a full crimson red and and a long, lustrous white and aquamarine mane.

"I remember all to well your methods of getting to a guy," Jett said. He had been a victim of Ruby's charm and beauty when he first met het. Unlike most though, who moped about their being used and avoided Ruby Ice, Jett had stayed friends with her.

"So, what brings you two here?" Ruby asked

Daring Do explained about everything that had happened and told her about how she wanted Ruby Ice to come with them. "An expedition? To find the teardrop keystone?" Ruby's eyes glinted at the prospect of adventure. "Yes! I am in!" You wouldn't be able to tell at a first glance, but Ruby really did have a passion for finding out about ancient civilizations.

"Great. D, you said you'd tell us when we're leaving?" Jett said.

"Right. As soon as I find out."

"Oh I wonder if I should bring the diamond necklace that matches the blue dress I have? Or maybe something that attracts less atention. Like the bracelet that goes with my favorite sweater!" Ruby said as she ran up the staircase that connected her home with her shop.

"She does realize we're going on an excavation, right?" Jett asked.

ooX~Xoo

Days later, early in the morning, Daring Do, Jett Barr, Ruby Ice, and Epsilon Hoof were boarding a boat that would take them to where the Magia Empire once was. Pennworthy was staying behind because he had other duties to deal with, Epsilon explained when Daring asked. After introductions had been made, the boat set off.

"Where's your team of investigators?" Daring asked.

"It's only me. I thought a smaller group would attract less attention," Epsilon replied.

"Yeah. About that Hoof." Jett came up to them. "Why exactly don't we want to attract attention? You think we've gotten involved with some gang war between Celestia's Disciples and the Keystone Krew. And crew is spelled with a k."

Epsilon looked at Jett oddly. Jett sighed. "The Keystone Krew is the gang that killed most of the scientists. Not much of an investigator are you?"

"I knew who you were referring to Barr," Epsilon said.

"And they're not gangs. They're cults. Isn't that right Epsilon?" Ruby said batting her eyes at him. Epsilon tugged at his collar as if he were too hot. Ruby Ice had been doing that to him since she met Epsilon. Daring couldn't tell if she meant it or was playing with him. She looked out to see the sun rising over the water. She had no idea what the future of this trip would bring, but she wouldn't back down when it came to face her!
----------------------------------------
What do you guys think of this chapter? I know it's boring and mainly filler, but I couldn't find a good way to introduce Jett Barr and Ruby Ice or to begin their adventure. If you guys thought it sucked, it was the best idea I had to begin their trip to Dabylon. Anyway, no Easter Eggs in this chapter. So, leave a comment of praise or constructive criticism if you can. I'll post another chapter in a week at the latest.
Welp, until next time!