• Published 2nd Mar 2012
  • 1,173 Views, 28 Comments

Mission Impossible? - bud467



Tread, a 15 year old earth pony is thrust back into civilian life after being wounded.

  • ...
6
 28
 1,173

The Begining

The distant rumble of artillery and the muffled explosions accompanied small bits of dirt falling and landing on my helmet as I slipped my hoofs in the boots. Looking over to Charcoal who is writing a letter at a desk, I slipped out into the trenches. The fighting always calmed in Luna’s night.
“Having trouble sleeping again Tread?” A voice inquired from behind me. I turned around to see my friend Coil leaning against the dirt trench walls.

“Eh. The nights are calmer than-“
My ears immediately flicked toward No-Ponies-Land and Coil turned and his pupils widened. The shelling stopped. Charcoal had just finished his letter and sent it away and stepped out. We all turned to each other, each of us knowing what was coming. A faint whistle could be heard followed by an enormous amount of yells. Coil sprinted to the nearest bell as I ran down the trenches.

“Everypony up!” I ran down the trench line rousing them for the onslaught. Charcoal had turned back inside and the men from my group were already at the trench wall. Charcoal had mounted the machine gun and the others with their rifles pointing into the land of death. I walked over to my rifle inside and tapped my boot on the ground and a little bar shot out from the side. Dear Celestia, protect us.
“Here they come!” A yell sounded from down the line. The clicks of the rifles being flicked off safety broke the awkward silence followed by some prayers.
“I don’t see them…” soon the air was full of agreements. “This is strange.” I muttered before my thoughts were interrupted by the rumble of distant artillery.
“Charcoal…”

“Yeah…”

“Did you call in a-“

“No.”

The thought struck us both. “Incoming!” we yelled in unison as the shells started landing. And as quickly as it began, the shelling stopped. We all looked up to see the enemy charging at us.

The fighting was brutal. After several minutes of bucking and trench fighting an order was issued. “Fall Back!” the order repeated down the trenches as I grabbed a wounded pegasi and laid him across my back and grabbed another by his saddlebag straps with my teeth and joined the fall back. The few minutes it took to reach the back lines felt like hours from the bullets whistling by, the yelps and screams of the wounded and the adrenaline.

Upon reaching the hospital I was greeted “We got them.” The medical Unicorns assured me as they placed the two I picked up on carts and they were wheeled away. I nodded and turned back and began running toward the abandoned trench. I turned my head to see Charcoal and the men of my squad joining me, with stretchers. I smiled as I turned my head back to the trenches and charged. One of the enemies popped his head over the trench wall, began yelling something and took a potshot. I heard a yelp and I turned my head. Damn. Trooves is down. “Canter! Go get Troves!”
“Sir!” Canter peeled off and returned to bring Trooves to the Hospital.

Bullets began passing us again as we charged at the trenches and landed inside, bucking, kicking and swinging our knives. Charcoal had mounted a machine gun and began firing at the enemy. as soon as it was safe I gave the order to collect the wounded and turned to see where they were. I followed them and began helping until a grenade land next to some of them. I broke into a gallop. “Grenade!” I yelled as I reached it and pushed every pony to the ground. Then it exploded.

***********************************


“We need a Medic!” Charcoal called as reinforcements poured from the back lines. He had attended to the already
wounded and was frantically attempting to stem the flow of blood from Treads wound’s. A young unicorn stallion ran over
and began applying field dressings and joining in the call for a medic. Soon several ponies marked by red crosses on their
helmets rolled Tread and the other wounded onto stretchers and rushed to the hospital.


Authors Note: Any corrections will be graciously accepted! tomorrow is the next chapter. Gotta write that one