• Published 27th Sep 2013
  • 492 Views, 13 Comments

And there I was. - Alternivity



A pony wakes up in a crater. Who is he? How did he get there? Why is he so strange? Nopony seems to know.

  • ...
8
 13
 492

Accidents and First Impressions

"So, just to be clear, we're all ponies?" I asked as we walked toward the largest tree in town.

"Yep, we're all ponies, though there are three distinct types. First there are unicorns, who have horns to channel their magic."

"Like you?" I queried.

"Yep, then there are the pegasi who have wings to fly and can control the weather."

"Like her?" I asked pointing at a blue pony with a polychromatic mane shoving a cloud across the sky.

"Very good. In fact that's my friend Rainbow Dash!" exclaimed Twilight, "Moving on, the last group're the Earth ponies, they tend to be stonger and faster than unicorns and pegasi."

"Okay then, what am I?"

"I can't tell."

"Why not?" I questioned.

"Firstly your clothes hide the area wings would be, also your mane hides the place of a horn."

"Aha. Just one more thing."

"And that would be?"

"What's with the tatoos? Every adult I've seen has one, some of the youths, too."

"What're you talking about?" I simply pointed to her flank, "Ohhh you mean Cutie Marks!" I nodded, cocking a brow.

"Silly colt, everyone knows what a Cutie Mark is!" she giggled

"She said to the dude with. No. Fucking. Memories!" I retorted my voice rising to a yell.

"I'm so, so, sorry, I completely forgot!" she apologised cowering slightly.

"No I did. However, I honestly don't give a fuck, so just tell me what a Cutie Mark is."

"Well a Cutie Mark appears on a foal's flank when they discover what their special talent or place in the world is!"

"Hmmm, if I have a Cutie Mark that might help me find out who I was."

"Yep, oh, we're here!" she said opening a door mounted inside the tree.

"Whoa, nice digs," I commented walking into the library.

"Thanks," she said brightly. I loosed a barley stifled yawn.

"Sorry. I guess I'm more tired than I thought."

"Not at all. The guest room is upstairs, second door on the left."

"Cool. Hey thanks again for letting me stay here." I wandered up the stairs and into the room, spotting the bed I immediately trotted over and fell heavily on it, passing out.

When next I opened my eyes, I was once again greeted by Pinkie Pie standing over me.
"Holy Hades!" I yelled, slamming my hooves squarely into her chest, causing her to cry out as she hit the opposite wall. Rolling myself off the bed, I walked up to her.

"Are You okay?" I asked, not letting her respond, I added, "If you are, get out. If not, groan." Standing up slowly, she looked at me with what I imagine was a glare. "If you're trying to glare at me it won't work." I watched her expression shift from apparent anger to obvious confusion. "I have no memories before meeting you, so emotional cues don't work on me."

Perking up, she opened her mouth, "Hey-."

"No."

"But-."

"Please leave. Now."

"I jus-."

"Get. Out." I snarled, slamming my hoof into the ground,cutting her off and causing the mare to flinch. Tears began to well up in her eyes as she turned and ran out the door slamming it behind her. "*sigh* Welp, that went well." I walked to the shelf that I'd bucked Pinkie into, and started to pick up the fallen books. "Hmmm." I opened a book and casually flicked through it. Stopping on a random page, I started reading aloud, "As Daring Do freed herself, she saw the tentacles of the beast rise from the water. "Not today big boy!" She called back to the baby kraken. "Now to find Baron Fangar." she thought to herself." I closed the book, "Well, looks like I can read," I said putting the book on the shelf.
The door to my room slammed open. "Jericho! What the hay is your problem?"

"You mean besides my lack of memory?" I said, turning to face an enraged Twilight.

"Where do you get off treating others that way?" she yelled getting angrier

"What are you talking about?"

"Pinkie Pie ran out of your room a minute ago crying her eyes out! What in Tarturus did you do to her?"

"I woke up to her face almost touching mine and, finding this rather upsetting, I pushed her with more stregth than I thought I had. After checking that she was alright I asked her to leave, when she failed to comply I raised my voice." I answered bluntly. I shut my eyes and dared her to try something. Her eyes narrowed.

Finally Twilight spoke, "So that's it? Not even a denial?"

"Why would I deny doing that?"

"Because...um...I don't know," she said, lost for a response, "but reducing anypony to tears is a horrible thing to do."

"I have no control over the reactions I get."

"But still, to get Pinkie to break down like that take an extreme amout of cynisism and spite!"

"I guess that makes me an extremely spiteful cynic, eh?" I said with a faint smile.

"I suppose so." she replied with a giggle.

"Now, If you'd excuse me, I'm going to undress myself."

She blushed heavily, "O-okay... um... bye!" she called bolting out the door and, with a chuckle, I gently closed it behind her. Turning back to the room, I spotted a full-length mirror and trotted over. I gazed at my reflection seeing my face for the first time. I saw staring back at me the deepest crimson I'd ever seen (not that that meant anything), but unlike any other ponies I'd seen mine had no pupils but, knowing nothing about pony physiology, I dismissed it as a small anomaly. Moving on I took note of my attire, which consisted of: Some sort of midnight-blue vest with a myriad of pockets to be rifled through later, a full body suit, the same off-black-blue with interlocking metal plates covered by some kind of durable fabric, and four black armored metal shoes with gold inlays.

"Okay then, let's get this over with," I said, shrugging off the utility vest.

Next off were the boots which seemed to clip onto the suit. I looked over the suit trying to find a way to remove it. I searched for a minute or so then, giving up I walked back to the mirror to better see how to take the suit off. I looked myself over once again, my eyes settling on the harness on my chest, with four straps made of a metal similar to white-gold but a bit darker. At the centre sat a disk made of gold with an inset magenta gem. I studied the harness finding small clips on the lower straps. Undoing them I lifted the strange harness over my head, noting how light it was, and set it carefully with the vest and boots. Looking back at the mirror, I tried in vain to find how to remove the suit but there was nothing to give me a clue.

"*Sigh* I give up," I said, walking toward the door, "maybe Twilight can help." Opening the door I walked out.

*BOOM*

. "Not again," came a whine from Twilight's room, but was not her voice, "Twilght are you okay!?" it yelled.

I ran down the stairs and through a smoking doorway. Coughing slightly as I blinked a couple times to get the acrid smoke out my eyes, when I opened my eyes again most of what I could see was blue. I looked around trying to see anything, when my eyes fell onto a purple pony-shaped aura. I ran toward it, blinking away more smoke as my vision once again presented black. I came to the place I saw the entity, Twilight as it turned out, and rushed to her side.

"Twilight are you alright?!" I called seeing her limp form, "Twilight!" But no response came. I lifted her onto my back, nearly cheering when she emitted a faint cough, but stopped myself, instead running toward the door. Once clear of the smoke I set her down on the sofa in the foyer. I checked her over, pure joy flowed when I saw her chest rise and fall rythmically, but slowed when I found a large cut on her head.

I then went to investigate the voice from Twilight's room, enraged that it's owner had failed to come to her aid. Slamming ther door open I saw a surprised reptilian creature.

"What're you doing in here?" he asked slightly annoyed by my intrusion.

"Looking for you, apparently," I replied, getting angrier.

"Huh? Why?"

"What is your relation to Twilight Sparkle?" I said calmly, not letting him see my fury.

"She hatched me and has taken care of me since. Why?" at this my rage took over as I hit the lazy fucker, hard. "What did yo-AHHHHGGG!" he cried as I hit him again.

"YOU SAT AND DID NOTHING AS THE CLOSEST ONE YOU HAVE TO FAMILY LAY ON THE FLOOR BLEEDING! HAD I NOT BEEN HERE SHE MAY HAVE DIED YOU INSOLENT FOOL!" I screamed, "YOU DO NOT DESERVE TO HAVE HER AS YOUR KIN!" he sat there and cried, looking at me, "Go find a doctor or medic," no movement, "NOW YOU WORTHLESS PIECE OF SHIT!" At this he stood on two feet and ran as fast as he could, still crying, to find some help.

Having lost the target of my rage I calmed down and walked to Twilight's side and started stroking her mane. "Everything's going to be okay, you'll be fine," I said, more for my own comfort than hers.

A minute or so later an orange earth pony with a blonde mane, an apple cutie mark and a Stetson, rushed through the front door.

"Twi! Twilight were are ya?!" she called before spotting me standing over Twilight, "Get away from 'er right now, er ye'll be sorry!" she threatened, looking on the verge of tears.

"If she doesn't get to a hospital now she might die. So unless you can take us to one you're completely useless and wasting my time," I said, anger and desparation rising in my voice. I don't know why I cared at all, but I did.

"Ah know where the hospital is-" she started.

"Then let's go!" I said, gently lifting Twilight.

"But ah don't know you-"

"I don't care, her wellbeing means more to me. Show me where the hospital is or I will find it myself." Not waiting for a respnose I walked out the door and down the street.

"Yer goin' the wrong way," called the mare, "if'n ya can keep up we'll get there in no time!"

"Thank you," I said, grateful she had seen sense. As we passed the the town square the mare spoke up.

"Any idea what made that there hole?"

"It would appear that somehow I did."

"What're you talkin' about?" she said stopping.

"Later, let's get Twilight to the hospital first."

"Oh, yeah, right!" she said galloping off.

"Dammit!" I cursed her stupidity. I looked around trying to find someone else to lead me to the hospital. "Hey you!" I called at random, "Get over here!" To my surprise this yeilded a result in the form of a pegasus filly.

"What do you want?" the filly demanded.

"My friend has been injured in an accident. I need you to lead me to the hospital immediately."

"Then what are we waiting for?"

"You to go in the right direction."

"Hehehe..."

"..."

"..."

"DAMN IT ALL! SHOW ME WHERE THE HOSPITAL IS!" She jumped at my sudden turn and curled up in a ball, tears in her eyes. "*sigh* Just point in the right fucking direction." she pointed, "Good. Thank you for your help." I walked off in the indicated direction, arriving quickly at the intended location.

I soon found a nurse and caught her attention, "Get me a doctor quickly, my friend is injured." the nurse dashed off to find the nearest physician. When the doctor arrived he quickly called a trolley-bed, on which I gently lay Twilight.

"What happened?" asked the doctor.

"I don't know. There was an explosion and I found her unconscious in the smoke. I fear there may be shrapnel in the wound."

"Okay thank you. You did the right thing bringing her here."

"Thank you for helping her." he nodded before pushing the bed and calling various commands to the nurses. I paid them no heed instead watching Twilight, praying with my entire being for her welfare. A few minutes later a frantic orange mare accompanied by three other mares, and Pinkie, rushed in. "Well look who finally showed up," I said bitterness seeping into my voice, "and you brought friends too."

"Just who do you think you are?" demaned a white mare with an over stylised purple mane and three diamonds as a Cutie Mark.

"I'm the guy that pulled Twilight from the smoking wreck of whatever she was doing. I'm the one that carried her here!" I retorted, "I didn't abandon her when she needed help!" The orange mare look enraged by my accusation.

"Ah don't like yer tone none," she said snorting

"I don't like people that run off instead of helping their friends!" I said angrily.

"Hey!" yelled a cyan pegasus with a rainbow mane, "Nopony speaks to my friends like that!"

"Oh and I suppose you'll try to hurt me if I do." At my remark she shot straight at me. Time seemed to slow down as my body moved of its own accord sliding to the side and whirling, smashing a hoof into the mare's shoulder. As she slammed into the wall I was lifted into the air by an invisible force, which turned me to face the white unicorn.

"Didn't your mother teach you to never hit a mare?" she said indignantly.

"I don't know my mother," I said levelly, "or my father or my siblings, if I even have any."

"Oh my, I'm terribly sorry. I didn't mean to bring up painful memories!" she apologised, setting me down.

I tried to stop myself laughing aloud but failed miserably, "Ahahaha. Oh if only I were so lucky," I saw the looks on their faces and explained my outburst, "Memories, even painful ones, are better than none at all."

"N-none a-at all?" asked a pale cream pegasus with a pink mane and three butterfies as a Cutie Mark.

"Only my name."

"And that is?" queried the white unicorn.

"Jericho Burn. May I be so bold as to ask yours in return?"

"You may call me Rarity." stated the the snowy mare.

"Ah'm Applejack," put the orange earth-pony simply.

"And your name is?" I said turning to the yellow pegasus.

"I'm Fluttershy." she mumbled shying away.

"Nice to meet you." I spoke gently, turning to the others.

"I'm Rainbow Dash, the best flier in Equestria!" boasted the cyan mare, once again upright.

"Uhuh, whatever you say."

"I'm -" started Pinkie.

"Pinkie Pie, I know we've already met, twice."

"You're the big mean meanie-pants that threw me into a shelf!" she cried out in realisation.

"No I'm the guy that found you standing over me in my sleep, twice."

"Sorry 'bout that sugarcube, Pinkie here's a mite different than most."

"I noticed."


*AKWARD SILENCE*


"Soooo... How did you meet Twilight?" asked Rarity eventually.

"She helped me out of a hole I was in."

"Oh?" she said looking at me with curiosity, "And what kind of hole would that be?"

"The one in the square."

"Huh?" said the five mares simultaneously.

"*sigh* When I first woke up I was in the crater in the town square."

"Ooohhhh!" they cried in perfect synchrony.

As quiet threatend re-take its place the doctor walked in. "How is she?" I asked beating the others to it.

"She'll be fine in a day or two. In fact she's awake if you want to see her." The girls all rushed toward the door.

"Wait!" I called, stopping them, "We should go one at a time so as not to cause her any undue stress. I will go first, when I return I will choose who goes next."

"How come you get to go first?" demanded Rainbow.

"Because otherwise you'd waste time arguing," I said.I raised my hoof as they opened their mouths to respond, "Don't deny it, you can't decide amongst yourselves who goes first. So I took the decision away." I turned to the doctor, "Lead the way," I said gesturing to the door.

Author's Note:

Here's the second chapter. As always let me know your thoughts. Now with revised formatting and grammar!