• Published 22nd Sep 2013
  • 1,427 Views, 13 Comments

Better Left Buried - Shahrazad



We’re defined by our experiences. Like bubbles in concrete, some memories can stay with you all of your life, especially the painful ones. Twilight learns that she should really leave these alone, because some memories are better left buried.

  • ...
0
 13
 1,427

Chapter 1

“I’m... FINISHED!” Twilight slammed the chalk down and finished the spell on the chalkboard.

Snort, “Huh? Is it time for dinner?” Spike had dozed off after finding the fourteenth book Twilight had requested today. The library was a mess of books and he knew he was going to have to clean it up. Twilight had been too engrossed in her spell research.

“I said, I’m finished! Finished with the new memory spell.”

“You already know a spell to restore memories. You don’t need a spell to make new ones; you just, you know, make em’ by living.” Spike yawned and rubbed his eyes. He glanced at the clock – it was far past dinner time. No wonder his stomach threatened to growl at any moment.

Twilight giggled with a hoof over her mouth, “No Spike, it isn’t a spell to create new memories, or restore old ones. It lets one pony see the experiences and memories of another. Think of the applications! I could check Rarity’s memories and figure out how to sew! I could read Fluttershy’s memories and help her with her shyness! I could even dive into an accused pony’s mind and find out if they really did the crime! Oh the possibilities...” Twilight continued to scribble notes into her notebook. It floated just off to the left of the chalkboard with a quill scratching away furiously. She continued to mumble while two text books, the notebook, the quill, and the chalk all floated nearby in a in purple aura.

Spike sighed, “Can you modify my memories so I forget this boring day ever happened and I think I actually had dinner on time?” Spike hoped she could, because getting to bed on an empty stomach wasn’t easy.

Twilight gasped and the quill and chalk stopped moving. “Spike! I would never do such a thing! Besides, this spell can’t do that anyway. It’s only for watching the memories of other ponies, not modifying them. I don’t know a spell powerful enough that can do that. Plus, there might be side effects from this spell alone.”

“Side effects?” Now Spike was awake, although he was looking for a book to protect himself with in case Twilight decided to try using the spell on him. He didn’t want any weird side effects; what if his tail fell off? Then again, what if the side effects included moustaches? Spike lowered the tome he was using as a shield, but held it in his claws just the same. “What kind of side effects?” he asked eagerly.

“First of all, I still can’t figure out how to properly control the spell. I don’t know where or what memories I would see if I used it. I think I would see important memories, the ones that really affected the life of the other pony.” As she spoke, Twilight’s eyes drifted up as if she were searching for answers on the inside of her open eyelids.

“Well that’s good, right? You wouldn’t want to waste time watching somepony eat oats, brush their teeth, and wait on the train before getting to work in a boring job would you?” Spike clutched the book to his chest, keeping it between him and Twilight. Secretly eating all of your Nightmare Night candy is an important memory for me! I got a stomach ache the rest of the day and you never figured out where your candy went. A bead of sweat trickled down the back of Spike’s head in between his spines. He sniffed once and wiped it away.

Twilight was staring at one of the books now, her eyes darting to and fro. “There’s also the trouble with sleeping.”

“Heh, sleeping isn’t a problem, Twilight. In fact, I could sleep right now.”

“No, I mean the spell. You can’t have two sets of neural inputs going to a single brain. It’s just too much; it would drive anypony insane in minutes. So if I use this spell it’ll put me to sleep. That way I can dream about the other pony’s memories without, you know, going crazy.”

Spike snorted and thought, you mean more crazy. He noticed the gleam in Twilight's eye as she looked at him. “Twilight... what are you planning?”

Twilight set down the various objects with her magic and looked at Spike. “I need to test this spell to work out the bugs and to make sure there aren’t any other side effects.”

Spike’s eyes went wide. “Oh no, I don’t want you messing around in my head.” Twilight took a step forward with a mischievous grin on her face. “Stop it! Stay back!” Spike raised the book and kept it in between Twilight and himself.

Twilight’s face held a frown. “Really? My number one assistant doesn’t want to help me push the boundaries of magic? You could be famous, Spike! First one to share memories. Plus, I’ve always wondered what it would be like to be a dragon.”

Spike shook his head from behind the back cover. “No way. I don’t want you poking around inside my head.” Spike’s heart beat faster and his forehead now held a sheen of sweat. What happens after Nightmare Night, stays there!

Twilight sighed, “Alright Spike, I’ll find another pony. I still think you should be willing to try it out though. It could be so fascinating.” Twilight sat on her haunches with one hoof touching her lower lip. This was the pose she struck when thinking about a knotty problem.

Spike lowered the book, and his heart rate soon followed. “You promise you won’t use this spell on me?”

Twilight’s eyes snapped to Spike. She still had that gleam in them but the intensity wasn’t focused on Spike anymore. “I Pinkie Pie promise I won’t use this spell on you without your permission.” She traced a hoof over her heart and stopped short of jabbing her own right eye. Experience had painfully taught her not to do that.

Spike placed the book back where it belonged on the opposite shelf. He turned to face Twilight with a toothy grin. “That gives me an idea. I know a pony who would be willing to be your test subject.”

“Oh? Who?” Twilight brightened up at Spike’s words.

~~~~~

“Ah’m home.” Applebloom pushed the door open, letting in a chill breeze. Her saddlebags were nearly bursting with books, papers, pencils, pens, and other school supplies. She trotted into the family room where Granny Smith was knitting while seated in a rocking chair. She was near the fireplace, but nothing was inside of the brick cavity other than cold stone. Applebloom flopped onto the dusty couch, releasing a cascade of books, papers, erasers, and one half-eaten apple from her school bag. The items tumbled around her and onto the floor with a series of thumps. “Ah got a new assignment fer school. Ah’m supposed ta create a family tree. Ah guess Ah’ll put apples on this, eh? Can ya help me, AJ?” She spoke while summoning her willpower to form a halo above her head. The halo usually worked on adults.

Applejack trotted in behind Applebloom, still dusty from the day’s labor. She took off her cowpony hat and fanned herself. “Family tree, huh?” She swallowed a lump in her throat and dropped the load of firewood off her back. The wood tumbled onto the hearth with a loud thunk.

The noise caught the attention of Big Mac, who clomped into the room from the kitchen. A pleasant smell of baked apples and fresh bread followed him. He narrowed his eyes when he spied Applebloom and the instant mess she had created. He opened his mouth but didn’t get the chance to speak. “Gettin’ cold in here. Start a fire, wouldja sweet filly?” Granny Smith’s voice caused Applebloom to bounce off of the couch with a fine trail of dust, doing nothing to improve the mess she had created. Granny Smith glanced at Applejack and gave her a meaningful look while Applebloom was distracted.

“Sure thing, Granny.” Applebloom snatched a few small logs from the fresh stack. She tossed the logs into the fireplace under the watchful eyes of Big Mac and Applejack. With a harsh scratch, she lit a match and held it under one of the logs. Nothing happened. She tried again. Still nothing. By the time a small pile of carbonized matches grew at her hooves she tossed her final failure into the pile and huffed. “Somethin’s wrong with this wood!”

“Nnnope.” Big Mac brought a small can out from a high shelf over the mantel. He knelt down to give it to Applebloom. She snatched it away and was about to pop the top off when he held up a hoof. “Just a little.”

Applebloom gingerly opened the can and tried to pour the fluid over the logs, but like the milk she tried to pour over her cereal in the morning, she spilled, splashing the clear fluid all over the inside of the fireplace. She shrugged and tossed the empty can over her shoulder. “Ow,” Applejack said, giving Applebloom stink eye when the empty can bounced off of her head. “Whaddaya think yer doin’?”

“Gettin’ us some heat!” Applebloom exclaimed and before anypony could properly react, she lit a match and tossed it into the fireplace.

Big Mac clamped his powerful jaws around Applebloom’s bow and pulled her away from the fireplace just in time. The entire pile of logs was engulfed in a fireball that traveled up the the chimney, like a breath from a dragon’s throat. “Ahhh, that’s better.” Granny Smith smiled and set down her needlework to hold her hooves over the roaring fire.

“Applebloom! Be careful, ya darn near burned yerself to a crisp.” Applejack admonished her wide-eyed sister, still dangling from Big Mac’s mouth.

A halo appeared over Applebloom’s head. “Yes big sis. Ah promise Ah’ll be more careful.” The soot smudged hooves, the oversized smile, and the halo did little to convince Applejack or Big Mac of her sincerity.

~~~~~

“I don’t know if this is such a good idea.” Twilight was standing at the front of a long line of customers, each with a bag of various cookies and a smile. She was in sugarcube Corner with Pinkie Pie who was bouncing on the other side of the cash register, several trays of fresh cookies still steaming behind the display case. The bouncing wasn’t unusual by itself, but her reasons were troubling.

“It’s a great idea, Twilight! You can see all of the super fun parties I’ve thrown! Plus you can figure out how Pinkie sense works. Oh-oh-oh, and while you’re in there, maybe you can help me remember where I left my banjo.” Her smile was so large it was unhealthy; even the noise made by her bouncing hooves seemed happy, joy oozed out of her.

“Pinkie, I would only get to see important memories—”

“Like where I left my banjo?”

snort

Spike giggled, still seated on Twilight’s back. “Yeah, that would be important. C’mon Twilight, where else are you going to find a willing test subject?” He glanced back towards the rest of the customers. “Unless one of you wants to volunteer?” Twilight looked over her shoulder with what she hoped was a disarming smile. Not a single eye met hers. A pony somewhere in the back coughed but no other sounds could be heard. Her smile cracked and melted.

“Please let me be the test subject? Please-please-please with a cherry on top?” Pinkie Pie was right in Twilight’s face now; her eyes seemed to grow larger and her smile froze in a psychotic grin. Twilight was wondering how Spike had convinced her of this. “Pleeeeeease?”

“Uh...” Twilight stammered. I don’t want to look into Pinkie’s mind. I might go crazy even if the spell works like it’s supposed to!

“PLEASE.” her mouth didn’t seem to move when she spoke, and her eyes had an intensity that worried Twilight. “You could see all of my fun memories. We could share them together. And we would be bestest friends, forever.”

Twilight gulped, “I... uh... “

“FOREVER!”

“This line is taking forever.” A familiar voice drifted from so far back in the line it was actually outside. Rarity trotted inside past several other customers. “What is taking so long? Oh hello, Twilight. Are you here for cookies too? I just love Snickerdoodles, but I’d like to get the line moving...” She gestured to the long line and let her comment hang in the air.

Bubbling with excitement, Pinkie spoke up, “Twilight is going to test a new spell on me. It’s going to be so cool, it’ll make us better — no — BESTEST friends forever! She’ll know all about me and even where I lost my banjo. How cool is THAT?!” She started to bounce again, this time like a jackhammer. At this rate the floor was going to give way under the hoofed assault.

“Well Pinkie, I don’t want to force you to, but if you really want to—” Twilight knew she was going to regret this, but what else could she do? No other pony would— .

“I’ll do it.” Simple words, but they silenced the entire store. Rarity blushed, not expecting to be the sudden center of attention. She smiled and presented her good side to the crowd but secretly wished she was wearing something a little more flashy.

Pinkie Pie stopped bouncing and sank to the floor. Twilight blinked. “Really? That’s so... generous of you.”

Rarity blushed and spoke loudly, “Well if it gets this line moving and it helps my friend, how could I refuse?” A short cheer rose from the other customers as they pounded the floor with applause. Twilight held a weak smile. Pinkie’s lower lip was quivering and her eyes glistened.

“B-But...” Pinkie stammered.

“This is great! I’ll get everything set up. I’ll see you tomorrow afternoon, ok?” Twilight beamed at her friend.

“But.. I.. I... “

“It will be my pleasure, darling. Helping another pony achieve their potential is so much better than simply giving them something crass, like bits.” Rarity’s face scrunched up for a moment but quickly mirrored Twilight's expression. “I’ll bring my favorite scarf; it has such a story behind it.”

“But... banjo... “

“And I look forward to seeing why it’s such an important scarf.” Twilight continued to smile while she trotted out past the line of customers. “I’ll see you later Rarity.” Spike was still waving at Rarity with a silly smile on his face when they exited the shop, and disappeared from sight.

Rarity turned to Pinkie, still smiling. “How many bits for a dozen cookies?”

“BANJO!” She screamed angrily, like a war cry, both front hooves thrown up in the air. The line still hadn’t moved. The customers sighed; Pinkie had no interest in being a cashier at the moment.

Rarity backed away from Pinkie Pie. She could feel the heat from the flames in Pinkie’s eyes. “Um, maybe I’ll just come back later for the cookies.” She was leaning back but from the look Pinkie was giving her it wasn’t long before she lost her nerve. She darted out of the store followed by several creative curses involving banjos, baked goods, and one very depraved walrus.

~~~~~

“Ah told ya, Ah got it. The sun’s already up; let me be so Ah kin git ta the market before all the good spots are gone.” Applejack sighed as her brother loaded another barrel filled with apples into the cart. This was not a good morning for Applejack. She had slept through the rooster’s call, burned her toast while making breakfast, and had a nagging suspicion she was forgetting something important. She was also late of course; no disastrous morning is complete without being late. “Aren’t ya done yet?”

Big Mac grunted as he heaved the heavy barrel onto the cart. He trotted around to face Applejack and gave her a pitiful look. He smiled weakly and patted her on the head, “Eeyup.” Applejack’s brow flattened - she hadn’t been given a pat on the head since she was a filly.

The front door creaked open and Granny Smith trotted outside, or hobbled outside, as her hip didn’t allow for such speed. “Ah’m so proud of you youngin’s, keepin’ the farm running like this. Ah don’t think Ah say that enough.” She wore a bright smile while looking at her grandchildren. As she picked her way down the path towards them, Applejack sighed.

“Thank ya Granny, but Ah gotta get goin’.” Applejack was about to start down the path when Big Mac stepped in front of her. She glared at him, “What’s the big idea?”

Big Mac just stood there chuckling quietly, the shuffling sounds of Granny Smith getting closer. Applejack opened her mouth to give him a piece of her mind when she felt something soft plop down around her head. “There ya go little filly, now git ta the market. Apple’s aint gonna sell themselves.” Granny Smith smiled at Applejack like a ray of sunshine.

She finally realized what she was forgetting: her cowpony hat. The familiar weight on top of her head and the brim just visible at the top of her field of vision returned the world to focus. It was as if she were dreaming, but with the hat on, she felt alive and awake. She blushed, “Thanks Granny, thanks bro. Ah don’t know what Ah’d do without ya.” Big Mac stepped aside with a smile, and Applejack hit the road at a brisk pace.

It wasn’t long before she arrived at the market square. As she feared, the good spots were taken. Corner stalls were set up, and the high traffic areas all had stalls lining the street. There were a few spots in between them but they were too small for Applejack’s cart, not with all of the extra apples she was hauling today. She was about to give up when she spied an excellent spot near the library. Lucky me, Ah kin set up there an’ have lunch with Twi at the library.

She almost slid into the coveted space, she was moving so fast. With an expertly placed buck the entire cart slid into place and opened to reveal its wares. And not a moment too soon: the breakfast crowd was already starting to move about the market. Applejack was even able to sell a fritter to the mayor. It helped that no other ponies were watching; the mayor loved to eat fritters but didn’t want her constituents to know she ate like pig in the morning.

Applejack hawked her wares all morning. Soon, the sun reached its zenith and pounded the locals with heat, like a hammer striking a forge. Applejack made out better than most in the heat, as her hat was excellent protection and she was used to sunshine. However, she was still sweaty when she knocked on the library door.

“Hiya Rarity! I’m so glad to-” Spike opened the door and stopped short when he saw who it was. “Oh, uh, hi AJ,” his eyes found his right hind claw more interesting than the pony who stood before him.

“Ah’d like ta have lunch in the shade if’n ya don’t mind Spike.” Applejack offered half a dozen apples in tribute. “If it ain’t too much trouble.”

“No, no trouble,” Spike mumbled, “C’mon in AJ, make yourself at home. I was expecting guests so I made extra for lunch.”

“That’s right kindly of ya,” Applejack said as she trotted inside and set her offering down in the kitchen’s cupboard. She poured herself a glass of water with ice. It was frosty by the time she sat on the only couch in the library. Twilight had a small reading room in the back where she did many of her experiments. It was supposed to be for ponies to sit comfortably and read a book, but Twilight’s experiments and their associated odors, sights, and sounds often caused the reading room to remain empty. Applejack found Twilight with her nose in a book and a dusty chalkboard on her right. Applejack couldn’t resist, “SOUP’S ON!”

Twilight shot straight up into the air while every object floating with a purple aura lost its sparkle and fell to the floor. Once Twilight returned to the ground she was surrounded by a fine mess of books, scrolls, quills, and one stick of chalk. “Applejack,” she whined, “what did you do that for?”

“Ha ha ha, *snort* sorry Twi, I couldn’t resist.” She stifled her laugher, “Ah brought ya some apples. Ah figured we could have lunch together today. It’s mighty hot out thar and Ah’d like to have lunch with my friend inside where it’s cool. Course if’n ya have other plans Ah kin have lunch outside alone.” She picked up the mess she had caused Twilight to make while she spoke. She looked at Twilight and gave her the most innocent look she could muster when she said ‘alone.’

Twilight sighed, “Of course you can have lunch inside the library. You’ll even get a show.”

“A show? What kinda show?”

“Rarity should be here after lunch so I can try my new memory spell. It’s going to be so exciting! I’ll get to see into her memories and experience her life through her eyes. Just think of the applications!”

“Uh, you mean everypony in the room is gonna see what Rarity saw? That’s... somethin’.” Applejack felt her need for honesty was about to get her in trouble. Everypony is entitled to their secrets. You should leave memories alone.

“Oh no, only the caster of the spell can see the memories.” Twilight grinned as the chalk began to tap away. One of the dropped scrolls opened again, and a quill soon followed.

“Well, if’n ya don’t mind me askin’, how is that a show?” Applejack tilted her head slightly to the left and raised her right brow.

Twilight’s grin vanished. “Oh, I didn’t think of that. Well, it’ll be amazing anyway. I can just tell you what I saw.”

Applejack shrugged and moved towards the kitchen. “Ah’ll help Spike with lunch.” She entered the kitchen and found Spike standing on a stool, facing the opposite direction. He had already begun to prepare lunch. She stuffed a hoof in her mouth as her eyes watered, and her body quivered with suppressed laughter. Spike was wearing a pink apron and humming a tune normally associated with fillies. She took a moment to compose herself before speaking

smiled. “Thanks AJ, I usually have to do all of this myself.” He sighed, “Twilight is too busy most of the time.”

“Aww Spike, ya do a fine job of takin’ care o’ Twilight. Ah reckon she’d be lost without ya.”

Spike looked at her with a furrowed brow. “Isn’t she supposed to take care of me?”

“Heh, trust me Spike, ya do as much fer her as she does fer you. Don’t ever ferget that.” Applejack said no more and concentrated on slicing the apples for the salad Spike was preparing. Spike’s smile held for some time, and he didn’t complain while he prepared lunch.

~~~~~

Applejack sighed and swallowed the last of her apple salad. Spike had finished his lunch first, partly because it was a smaller plate of gems and partly because he stuffed his face. Twilight hardly ate more than a bite, she was too focused on her notes and books. Applejack chatted with Spike, but could hardly get more than two words from Twilight. Spike smiled, burped, and patted his stomach.

His smile grew even wider when there was another knock at the door. “I’ll get it!” He jumped down from the chair he was slouched in and raced into the main hall.

Applejack rolled her eyes, “Ah wonder who that could be,” she mumbled sarcastically to herself. She heard the door creak open and Spike greet the newcomer with enthusiasm. Twilight stood, biting her lower lip as she glanced between the notes hovering in front of her face and the entryway. Rarity trotted inside the reading room wearing a checkered scarf that was fashionable when she was a filly. Spike followed her with a stupid grin plastered on his face. Twilight buried her nose in her notes, sweat trickling down her neck. “Good ta see ya, Rarity. Twilight here says yer gonna do some fancy magic.”

Rarity cracked a small smile as she surveyed the scene. Rarity stood on the opposite end of the room with Twilight still reading her notes. Applejack lay on the couch near the entryway. The entire room was like a tiny arena with books for spectators. That makes the window pane royalty. Rarity imagined herself in a grand colosseum with cheering spectators, it made her smile inwardly. “I didn’t know I was going to have an audience for this performance. Sadly, I don’t think it will be very impressive; you won’t get to see very much. Still, maybe Twilight can try this spell on you if everything goes well. What do you say, hmmm?”

Applejack’s eyes went wide, “Ah don’t reckon that’s such a good idea. Only thing that goes on ma head is ma hat and ma mane.” Ah don’t need nopony pokin’ through my memories. Her eyes became unfocused for a moment as she recalled her past. She blinked and buried her thoughts.

“I’m ready Twilight! What are you waiting for?” Rarity found she was eager to try this spell out. She wanted Twilight to understand her passion, and she secretly hoped some of it would rub off on Twilight. She could be good looking if she wanted to be, but her sense of style was... non-existent. Rarity always tried to correct that in other ponies with limited success. This was a golden opportunity for a conversion.

Twilight drew in a deep breath and let her notes, quill, and textbook settle into place on the lectern near the chalkboard. Applejack perked up but remained laying down on the couch. “OK, I’m as ready as I’ll ever be. Try to think of the memory you want me to see, the one about your scarf. The spell is complicated, so give me a moment...” Twilight’s eyes squeezed shut as she pointed her horn at Rarity who struck a pose. Rarity tried for dashing, but Applejack thought she looked pompous. A glow appeared around Twilight’s horn. Spike backed up and half hid himself behind the couch. Twilight’s horn was hidden behind an intense light, which glowed like a ball of fireflies. Applejack felt the couch shift underneath her.

“What in tarnation...?” She said under her breath.

Twilight herself was no longer visible behind the ball of intense light. The room grew warmer and a faint buzzing filled the room. Everypony’s hairs stood on end, like the air was charged with static. “Oh for Celestia’s sake, just go for it darling. We haven’t got all day!” Rarity almost shouted over the buzz in the room.

“Ok, here we go: FOR SCIENCE!” As she spoke Twilight finished her spell and a jagged bolt of light shot across the room toward Rarity. Twilight’s cry was not the only one, however.

“FOR BANJOS!” Pinkie Pie burst from beneath the couch cushions. She didn’t even notice she had flung Applejack like a ragdoll into the air, who collided with Rarity just as the bolt was about to strike. There was a blinding flash followed by the smell of burning ozone.

Spike blinked and took a step from behind the couch. “Is it over?”

“Awww, it didn’t work. Those couch cushions were way heavier than I thought and I was too late. Now I’ll never find my banjo; what a cruel world.” Pinkie sniffed back a tear as her hair had lost its fluffy appearance and her eyes drooped to the floor.

Spike darted over to Rarity and shook her, concern on his face. “Rarity? Are you alright my lady?” He puffed out his chest and tried to speak with a regal accent. He just sounded like a scared little colt.

Rarity blinked and rolled onto her stomach. “I’m fine Spike, aside from the bruise I’m sure I’m going to get. Please tell me it isn’t too bad. My face feels like it was hit with a bowling ball.” Sure enough, a welt had begun to form on her cheek where she had been struck by Applejack.

Spike looked at Applejack and Twilight. “Twilight? Applejack?” Neither was moving; both were lying on the floor. Spike couldn’t see movement from them - they were like corpses. “T-Twilight?” He began to shake.

Rarity stood and bent down near Applejack. She tilted an ear near her nose and nodded to herself. She repeated this with Twilight. “I think they’re fine... they’re asleep.”

“What are they dreaming about? Alligators? Singing? Sunshine and rainbows? Shooting stars? The exact location of the lost sock dimension?” Pinkie gasped, “Do you think they know where my banjo is?” Her hair fluffed up again in the blink of an eye.

“I don’t know, but we should move them somewhere more comfortable so they don’t sleep on the hardwood floor. I can’t see how that would be healthy for one’s posture.”

~~~~~

splash

GASP

That’s cold! Twilight peeled her eyes open after pulling what felt like an entire raincloud’s worth of water over her face. She blinked a bleary set of eyes...

And just lost it.

Every muscle, every thought, went out like a snuffed candle. She was going to faint, fall on the floor, or crack her head on the sink. But she didn’t. She didn’t move at all. She was in a bathroom staring at herself in a mirror.

Except, it wasn’t her.

An orange mare with a blond mane and green eyes stared back at her. She wobbled for a moment, and Twilight realized she was standing on a stool. With a deft motion she tied her mane with a bit of twine after running a brush through it once. Apparently this was enough to satisfy the mare in the mirror, because she smirked at Twilight (no, herself) and nodded before hopping down from the stool.

Twilight could instantly see how short this pony was. Wait, I feel like... I’m a filly again. Indeed, her movements were jerky and excitable. She didn’t understand why she was moving, she wasn’t commanding any of her limbs to do so. They seemed to be under the command of another mind. How did I get here?

“Applejack! Hurry, you’re goin’ to be late fer school.”

“Ah’m comin’ Ah’m comin’.”

Did I just say that? I did! Wait a minute, I was in the library, then I used the memory spell on Rarity... NO! That’s not right! Pinkie Pie shouted, and I saw Applejack flying in the air. Then...

Twilight, or Applejack, trotted down the stairs. Twilight didn’t quite recognize the farm house. It was familiar, but the layout was just... off.

This looks like the Apple farmhouse... sort of.

Twilight mentally gasped and wanted to laugh when she saw the ponies before her as she entered the family room. Big Mac was much smaller than she remembered. He still had his cutie mark, and he bounced around a titan of a stallion that bore a striking resemblance to him. His coat was a darker red, almost maroon. His mane was the same color as Applejack’s, golden blond. His cutie mark looked just like Big Mac’s, except it was a red apple, not a green one. It almost blended with his coat. He wore a heavy wooden yoke. Had Twilight not known better, she could have sworn it was Big Mac, but the Big Mac she knew was bouncing around this stallion. Granny Smith was there as well, rocking back and forth in a rocking chair. She looked more spry than Twilight remembered.

I’m... Applejack. This is her memory. A pretty old one. I wonder why it’s important. Everything looks normal... happy even.

It was the mare that drew her eye. Dark brown, like the color of liquid caramel, with a mane to match the titan’s across the room. She had three green apples for a cutie mark. She wore a cowpony hat that Twilight kept staring at. “Well, what’re ya waitin’ fer, ya silly filly. Ah don’t want ya ta be late fer school.” The mare spoke right at Twilight as it were the most natural thing in the world.

“Ah don’t need no schoolin’. Ah don’t need no fancy math. Can’t Ah help ‘round the farm like Li'l Mac?”

Ok I’m going to have to get used to this. I can’t control anything. I can’t move the way I want to, talk the way I want to...

“Ah don’t want no lip from you, little filly.” The mare gave Twilight a stern look. “Git in the kitchen and pack yerself lunch. Ah’ll help ya.” She felt a momentary surge of fear, not wanting to disobey her mother, Candy.

I can’t disobey my mother, Candy. Wait a minute. Did I just... feel what Applejack felt? And how did I know this mare’s name? I guess AJ thought about her mother and the name popped into my head... or her head. This is so confusing!

She was already in the kitchen pulling ingredients from the cabinets with the aid of a stool. A loud, wailing cry echoed from above her. Ah guess Applebloom is awake. She continued to create lunch: apple, apple juice, and a peanut butter sandwich, minus the crust of course. The loud wail died down after a few minutes. She was nearly finished with a sloppy cut to remove the sandwich crust, when Candy reappeared.

“Landsakes, that filly has a pair of lungs on ‘er,” Candy breathed out. She spied Applejack and smiled when she saw how much progress she had made with her task. “That’s mah girl, she don’t need no help from nopony.” Twilight smiled while Candy retrieved a brown paper bag and began to pack the lunch. “Ah‘m mighty proud of ya AJ. But ya need fancy math to run a farm, and one of ya needs to know how to do it right.”

Twilight looked at Candy with wide eyes. The only sound she could hear for a moment was the faint creak of Granny Smith’s rocking chair and Candy as she crinkled the brown paper bag. It was warm in the kitchen, in more ways than one, and it smelled like home cooking. “Can’t Ah help like Li'l Mac?”

Candy pulled her daughter in close and lifted her onto her back. Ah kin stand on mah own! But it was only a thought, Twilight didn’t actually say that out loud. “Look at the farm we made.” Candy gestured out to the Apple orchard visible beyond the kitchen window above the sink. “One day, you n’ yer brother’ll be takin’ over. But it’s hard work, and yer pa don’t much have a head fer numbers. That’s why Ah need ya ta finish yer schoolin’ like yer brother. He didn’t get ta help with applebuckin’ till he finished his learnin’, and neither do you.”

Twilight snorted, “He’s always callin’ me Applebud, and tellin’ me ta take it easy cause I’m just a little filly. An’ he didn’t finish school, he jus’ passed a test and got a piece o’ paper. Please let me stay home. Ah kin help with the applebuckin, honest!”

“Ah know ya can. Yer a good filly that just don’t know when to quit.” Candy smiled and looked at her daughter from over her shoulder. The cowpony hat hovered above Twilight, and she wanted to wear it, to prove she was worthy of it. “But yer still just a filly. Ah know you want to grow up, but don’t be in such a rush. Bein’ a filly without a cutie mark is the best time of yer life; ya got no cares to weigh ya down.” Twilight blushed and instinctively hid her flank with her tail.

“But Ah just want ta help...”

“Ah know ya do. But I love my little Apples so much, and Ah want what’s best fer them. You know it’s the truth, don’t ya?”

Twilight sighed, “Yeah, Ah can’t wear the big cowpony hat and tell a lie. Lyin’ is like stabbin’ another pony, just slower.” She spoke with a practiced cadence.

Candy nodded, “Ah’ll tell ya what, ya git ta school and ya pass that math test, and Ah’ll let ya wear ma

bounded off of her mother’s back, snagged the lunch in her teeth, and was out the door galloping down the road. She heard the window crack open and her mother’s voice called out to her. She said:

ssssshhhhhh

Twilight tried to blink, everything was becoming fuzzy. Like a television on a dead channel, her vision tunneled down to a point and disappeared behind a curtain of static. A rising, crackling hiss filled her ears. She felt numb for a moment.

OW

She felt like she had been bucked in the nose; it left her face feeling numb and her gut queasy. Now she was dizzy and couldn’t see or hear anything but static. She felt strange, like she was a balloon tethered to a foal’s hoof. A careless foal, who let go and now she was drifting on an astral wind that carried her into oblivion.

~~~~~

“Will Twilight be okay?” Spike’s voice quivered as he hovered behind Rarity. Twilight was drifting in Rarity’s magic, her hair flowing like she was under water. Rarity motioned for Pinkie Pie to follow as she walked into the main foyer. Pinkie wasn’t so chipper anymore now that her friends weren’t awake. The comatose Applejack was lying across Pinkie’s back. Although Applejack was no lightweight, Pinkie was an earth pony as well and seemed to have boundless strength. She still had a spring in her step, but her smile wasn’t as big as it normally was. She glanced at Spike and Rarity in turn, making sure they didn’t have frowns. Her smile wavered when she saw the look on Rarity’s face.

If there was one thing Pinkie Pie recognized, it was an unhappy pony. Rarity’s smile was as fake as her eyelashes, and Pinkie knew it. “I’m sure Twilight will be fine darling. She wouldn’t have cast a spell that wasn’t safe. Put Applejack down there on the couch, Pinkie, and I’ll put Twilight to bed.” Pinkie had dragged the couch out into the main foyer at Rarity’s instruction. Rarity had quickly taken command of the situation and was keeping Spike and Pinkie calm, but secretly she was just as worried as they were. If she were the dreamer, she might have some control over what was going to happen. But right now she felt powerless, and she hated it.

“Okie dokie, one sleeping AJ, and now to put Twilight to bed.” Pinkie’s tail twitched, followed by a strange rumble in her barrel. Spike and Rarity both looked at her.

“Well, what does that mean?” Spike asked with worry creased onto his face.

“Um, I’m not really sure. I’ve never had a twitchy tail followed by a rumbly stomach.” Rarity and Spike looked at each other, then back to Pinkie. “I have a bad feeling about this one.”

“Tell us if it happens again,” Rarity began to trot upstairs. “I truly hope there’s nothing wrong with either of them.” Halfway up the stairs, Twilight groaned as if in pain. “I hope you’re not having a bad dream, Twilight,” Rarity mumbled.

“STOP!”

Rarity had reached the top of the stairs, panting with the exertion to keep Twilight afloat. She turned back to see Pinkie Pie with a set of crossed eyes and a constant rumble in her stomach. Spike was looking at Applejack and Twilight, his eyes bouncing between the two of them. “What’s the bother now?” Rarity asked.

Spike shouted, “Something’s wrong with AJ!” He was standing right near the couch looking into Applejack’s face. Rarity tilted an ear and could hear a light snoring still coming from Applejack. “She’s... bleeding.”

Rarity blinked and trotted quickly back down the stairs, Twilight in tow. Pinkie sat on her haunches with a thump and rubbed her belly with a cross eyed expression. True to Spike’s word, a thin trail of blood had leaked out of Applejack’s nose, and was running down into a tiny pool under her cheek . But now, nothing appeared to be wrong. The blood was already congealing. “Well I don’t know what caused that, but I need to get Twilight into bed. Spike, go fetch the doctor once I’m finished.” Rarity kept her voice even but inside she was wracked with worry.

Once again Rarity started up the stairs. This time she could actually hear Pinkie’s stomach start to rumble from the top landing. That’s when it happened.

“aaaAAAHHHH!”

Rarity gasped, Twilight was certainly in pain. She whipped her head around and found her friend was still asleep, but blood was leaking out of her nose, ears, eyes, and mouth. Rarity’s eyes shrunk to pin pricks. Pinkie spoke up, “Bring her back down!” Although her ability to inspire obedience was undermined by her crossed eyes, and silly belly rubs.

Rarity did it anyway. As soon as she took a step down, Twilight ceased yelling. By the time she reached the bottom of the stairs, the blood had stopped pouring out of Twilight’s eyes and ears. Once she was standing next to the couch, Twilight seemed to be in perfect health, except for the trail of blood left over her face and dribbling down the steps. Now Rarity noticed the same symptoms from Applejack as well. She was sure blood hadn’t pooled like that on the couch a moment ago, and certainly not from AJ’s ears.

“What in the world is going on in there?” Rarity said pointing a hoof at Appejack’s head.

“Hmmm...” Pinkie smacked her lips together. “Tastes like... donuts. Yep, that means we should keep them together.”

Rarity’s brow fell into a flat line. “And how, pray tell, do you know that?”

“I don’t, I just feel it.”

Spike nodded, “Please don’t argue with her, Rarity. I don’t want Twilight to get hurt.” Rarity sighed and allowed herself to trust in the Pinkie sense. Nothing else about this afternoon had made much sense, so why should it start now?

Rarity huffed and set Twilight on the floor at the foot of the couch. It took Spike and Rarity over twenty minutes before they were able to get Twilight’s bed downstairs and settle her into it. Rarity was dripping with sweat by the time she was done. Pinkie watched the two sleepers but no more yelling, grunting, or pinkie senses could be heard. Twilight and Applejack were lying on their sides, facing each other, but neither moved aside from their light, rhythmic breathing.

Rarity’s heart began to slow down. “I was so worried for a moment there. I didn’t know if there was some kind of strange side effect from Twilight’s spell or what was happening. I guess we shouldn’t separate these two.” Rarity didn’t understand how this spell worked, and she wasn’t about to try and understand it while her friends were in some kind of danger. “Spike, be a dear and get the doctor. Pinkie and I will stay and watch them.”

Spike saluted, “You can count on me!” He hurried out the door and was gone, but not before hugging Twilight. She didn’t react.

Pinkie Pie spoke once the front door closed. “Um... What do we do if something goes wrong? What if they start to bleed again?”

Rarity looked at her and tried to say something encouraging. “I have no idea.” Both mares faces blanched as they looked at their sleeping friends.