• Published 19th Sep 2013
  • 691 Views, 19 Comments

Where Did I Go Wrong? - zeroxwolfx



Follow what happened to the mysterious and dark King Sombra. See if you can piece together where things went wrong with him, and what led him to his demise.

  • ...
3
 19
 691

Before There Were Kings

Centuries before the first kings or queens took the throne, before the pegasi, unicorn and earth pony tribes had traveled from the old country to Equestria, the frozen north was an icy hellscape. There was no break from the cold. It chilled the very blood inside you. With each fell breath you felt the life being sucked out of you by the relentless frozen air. The creatures that lived there were just as fierce. Ice Worms, dragons as tall as mountains and just as imposing that breathed death from their maws and great grizzly snow wargs twenty feet tall, able to kill ten ponies with a single swipe of their claws. But these and many more beasts paled in comparison to the windigo, horrible faded spirits that would drive ponies into hatred and madness and steal their very souls.

It was hard to believe that in such a place as this, there were any ponies at all. True, many of them fled south to seek some sort of refuge from the terrors that plagued them, but a small number of them stayed. A few ponies imbued with magic, braver than the rest, saw determined to tame the wild beasts and monsters that so frequently devoured and tormented their kin. These were no ordinary ponies. They faced impossible odds, fought beasts that no other pony thought possibly to obtain victory over. No, these were no ordinary ponies, they were heroes.

I remember the heroes of old so well, ever since my uncle Reighloph told me about them. Yol’mier, the mare unicorn who charged horn first into a snow warg den and fought every single one of them single hoofedly to save an entire village that was doomed to be dinner. Maul Silverhorn, the unicorn who with his mighty hammer, managed to be the first unicorn, the first pony ever seen to defeat an Ice Dragon. Many more, all whom had fought against certain doom to make safe the land that would become the Crystal Kingdom.

By the old gods I do remember those stories. I remember it almost like I was there, imagining what it would be like to be next to Orin Stormcaller when he defeated the windigos, just imagine what it was like to be face to face with such a horror, such a monster. Any pony in their right mind would turn tail and run, but these few had something special about them. They had something in their blood that told them to face the challenges that were laid before them rather than run from them. They had something inside them that set them apart from other ponies. They were heroes.

When at last the heroes of old had laid waste to their foes, they made safe the land of the north and with their magic. They even changed the frigid weather to make way for a warmth of like the northern ponies were not used to. These heroes used their magic to turn the once deathly ice of the north into warming crystals and create a home for the northern ponies. They called their new kingdom, “The Crystal Kingdom”. These first heroes became the kings and queens of the land. The citizens of this empire were so patriotic, so grateful and so full of love for their kings and queens that they too felt a certain heroism within themselves. This heroism and love made it’s own magic and the ponies of the north became crystal ponies. The hero queen Ophelia created the crystal heart, which would both serve as a symbol of their unity and love as a kingdom, protect the empire itself and create a shining beacon of light throughout the rest of the world.

I remember this story just as clear as day. I remembered those wonderful, special ponies that made our empire. I often try to think of what was going through their minds, what they felt and what drove them. More than anything, I wanted to know what it took to become a hero. What would it take to make me a hero?