• Published 14th Sep 2013
  • 4,819 Views, 154 Comments

Shining Dash - Ianpiersonjdavis



Injured during a surprise Changeling attack while trying to protect Cadance, Shining Armor is temporarily relieved of his duties and sent to Ponyville until he recovers where he runs into an intriguing mare.

  • ...
39
 154
 4,819

Reunion

As she watched Shining Armor leave, Rainbow Dash felt that strange feeling again-it was a lot like the mix of fear and exhilaration she felt between the time she would freefall from a cloud and spreading her wings before she could hit the ground.


Internally, she was terrified-whatever this feeling was, if she made it publicly known it could severely damage her daredevil reputation. That in turn could lead to everyone losing respect for her. And if that happened…she wasn’t sure what she would do.


‘He doesn’t want you to come along because he knows you’re a failure-a fake.’


That voice in her subconscious was just like those guys in Cloudsdale-only she could never get away from it-no matter how far she flew or how hard she tried to drown it out or ignore it never went away. It was a constant reminder of her failures and unfulfilled dreams, of how unless she was the best at something, she was nothing.


‘It was just a fluke that you ended up with the Element of Loyalty, probably because each bearer could only have one-Applejack is more loyal, honest, a better friend, and athlete than you could ever hope to be-and everyone knows it.’


Dash frequently wondered if normal ponies had this problem and had been tempted to ask Twilight at few times, but if it wasn’t and she really was crazy-then she could risk ending up like Screw Loose. Just the thought made her shudder, being kept in a straight jacket, literally barking mad. When she the Daring Do book back from the hospital, it was little more than an afterthought, but now it seemed like a terrifying possibility.


‘They only keep up the charade of being your friends because they pity you-what will happen when they get bored with you and your lame stunts?' the voice asked rhetorically. 'They’ll throw you out like yesterday’s trash-the only thing you’ve ever done that could be considered worthwhile is take care of Fluttershy, but now that she no longer lives in Cloudsdale and has new friends to stick up for her-she no longer has any use for you.'


“S-shut up….” She whispered. “Just go away…please…”


Most of these thoughts were pretty old, but they always found ways of coming back like one of Daring Do’s cursed artifacts.


A glance around the hall confirmed that she was alone. She hated being alone, these thoughts always came back darker and louder whenever she was alone. Even after helping Twilight stop Nightmare Moon, they told her that she didn’t really need her help-that anyone else with wings could have saved her-that, she was an idiot for even being tempted to join a group like the obviously evil Shadowbolts and all she did was slow everyone else down.


Dash desperately tried to remember where everyone else was and what they were doing; she had to find someone-anyone to talk to-just to get away from her thoughts.


She turned around to come face to face with Twilight.


“Oh, Rainbow Dash!” she gasped after nearly colliding with her. “Sorry about that, I was just heading back to pick up my book….is Celestia still speaking with Sunset Shimmer?”


“Yeah…” Dash breathed. “So, what’s with that Sunset chick and talking to you and the Princess like that, anway?”


“Well, she’s definitely rude.” Twilight agreed. “But, the more I listened to her; the more convinced I became that she has a lot of unresolved issues that need to be dealt with-I mean if I ever lost my brother, Spike or any of you girls-I’m not sure what I’d do.”


‘Really?’ Dash thought.


“I’m not saying that excuses her behavior.” she clarified. “But, I can sort of understand where she’s coming from emotionally, after having someone important to her taken away by these Changelings. And it sounds like it was pretty recent for her….”


“So, do you still want to go in and try getting it?” Dash asked.


“No,” Twilight sighed. “I’d rather not interrupt the Princess over something that may be trivial compared to whatever they’re talking about in there.”


“I could stealthily sneak in and get it back out before they even notice.” Dash suggested.


“Well, that book is pretty good, but I don’t think it’s worth driving you back to petty theft.” Twilight replied. “I appreciate the offer though.”


“So, what do you want to do then? I’m getting kinda bored.”


“We could go down to the station and meet up with Spike and the girls.”


“Sounds good.”


---


When they arrived at the station, Spike and the rest of the girls were already on the platform waiting for them.


“So, if these ‘Changelings’ can make themselves look like any of our friends or family members, how are we supposed to fight ‘em?” Applejack asked.


“Just because they look like someone, doesn’t necessarily mean that they know how to emulate their behavior.” Twilight explained. “We just have to keep an eye out for others acting strange.”


“Of course, it’s difficult for them to copy some us.” Rarity added. “I happen to be a fabulous actress and Pinkie Pie is…well, Pinkie Pie.”


“Ooh, ooh! And because we actually care about each other and have picnics! When Changelings are a bunch of love-vampires who probably can’t even eat real food!” Pinkie cut in, excitedly.


“Um, right…” Twilight replied. “But more importantly, we have Princess Celestia, Princess Luna, and Princess Cadance helping us along with my brother.”


“Why can’t we just use the Elements of Harmony to stop them?” Spike pressed impatiently, crossing his arms.


“Um, I would also not like to fight anyone…if that’s okay…” Fluttershy added timidly.


“Unfortunately, we’re not entirely certain how the Elements will react and Celestia believes that some of the Changelings may be innocent in all of this…especially since some of them used to be ponies.” Twilight replied.


“Come again?” Applejack asked, as the others stared blankly at Twilight in confusion.


As Twilight repeated Sunset Shimmer’s analysis of the Changeling’s anatomy, Rainbow Dash’s thoughts wandered back to Shining Armor.


There were only two of the girls she could ask advice from; Princess Cadance was supposed to be the Princess of Love, but things obviously hadn’t worked out between her and Shining Armor too well. That and there was the potential that telling her that she had a crush on her ex-boyfriend, would probably make her pretty jealous…especially if this was brought to her attention so soon after they had broken up.


Rarity had always been more into romance than anyone else she knew, always trying to find the perfect guy. Only, it never seemed to work out for her…and she was a huge gossip, which meant her reputation as a daredevil could be put on the line. But, then again…she seemed like the best option she had if she didn’t want to risk Cadance using her princess powers to legally have her wings removed in a jealous rage.


Well, that was probably pretty unlikely…but, still the wrath of a princess was not something she was very eager to face.

Author's Note:

Spike and the girls meet up with Twilight and Dash again.

So next up we get to see how Dash's plan goes...