• Published 16th Nov 2013
  • 463 Views, 8 Comments

Fifth Freedom - Skyblazer



One pony gains the Fifth Freedom, the right to protect the other four by any means.

  • ...
1
 8
 463

A Harsh Wind from the North

The Griffon Kingdoms; this amalgamation of separate-yet-unified city-states was home to some of the fiercest warriors on Equis. With the heavily disputed border between Equestria and the battle hungry Griffon Kingdoms most would think war would be inevitable, however having the leader of your country being the one who moves the sun is very strong deterrent. No, open war was never in the plans, a secret cold war though; that's a different matter entirely.

--------------------------------------------------------------

In a dark chamber several figures gathered around a table, the room was locked and the only source of light was a lamp above the table.

"What is the next issue on the agenda?"

"Equestia has just recently raided the armory at Grifdovia, destroying our latest prototypes."

"Can you prove it was them?"

"Of course not! You know how they operate, everything is denied nothing we have proves it was them, even though we know it was."

"You said they raided the armory? Did they find out about the claw cannon?"

"What do you think they were looking for? That was at the center of their destruction, we lost all the data, all the blueprints, everything!"

"This was their third attack in as many weeks, what is making them so bold?"

"It must be those damned Elements."

"Those fillies from that small town?"

"They're not just fillies, they are connected to the most powerful artifacts on the planet."

"They why haven't we taken them out yet?"

"I'm in agreement with the representative form Primaire, if they are such a threat they must be dealt with."

"Unfortunately we can't, they are necessary to our defense as well."

"WHAT!"

"How could they help US?"

"Because, they are the ones who defeated Nightmare Moon when she returned, and then Discord when he did the same. If another force returns and they do not have the Elements then I fear we may all die."

"you've made your point, the Elements are out of our reach, but we cannot let Equestria go unpunished. With the council's permission I have an idea in mind. Me and my associates are not officially part of the Kingdoms, and I know of several Equestrians who are less patriotic than others."

"What do you have planned Vogon?"

"Let me operate freely and I can convince Equestria it needs you to defend them. They will need your weapons, your prototypes, they will have no choice but to let you develop the power to defeat them."

"What do you have planned?"

"........."

--------------------------------------------------------------

It was another idyllic Thursday morning, but then again when you can actively control the weather such a statement actually means nothing. Nonetheless it was very enjoyable, while there wasn't any cloud cover scheduled for today it wasn't very bright outside, that was more due to the village being located in a clearing in a dense forest than any fault of the sun. Hollow Shades has never had a very sunny day but those who lived there preferred it that way. The sun was just a little to oppressive for this group, thus the desire for a village with plenty or tree canopy. Now the trees weren't too think to block the moon, quite the opposite on clear nights you could not find a better view of the moon. Oh, and the plentiful supply of fresh fruit never hurt.

Now today was a school day so the village was quiet except for the birds and the few ponies at the market in the middle of the clearing, but that's how Snap Fisher liked it. He was currently standing in the middle of the river that runs next to Hollow Shades, waiting for a fish to foolishly wander close to him. Other ponies used fishing rods, but not him, he preferred the old fashioned way. It was a contest of speed and skill instead of waiting for a fish dumb enough to bite a hook. He didn't eat the fish he caught, he much preferred fruit like the rest of the village, no it was just a hobby of his.

Despite the fact that his cutie mark was of a fish jumping out of water, he didn't actually fish for a living. There just isn't much demand for fish, sure the local pet shop would buy some and maybe the occasional griffon traveler, but aside from that the only use for fishing is for sport. Fisher had to find a different profession for his income, and he found that in the Royal Guard. In a strange twist of fate the skills he developed for catching fish, patience, quick reflexes, and speed all carried over to the ancient art of patrolling the street and snatching anyone who would try to disturb the peace. He managed to reach the rank of Lieutenant-Commander before he retired.

It was only a few months ago, when he lost his wife and had to care for their daughter alone. When he received the news he gave his resignation letter, collected his daughter, and moved from Canterlot to his old home of Hollow Shades. He needed something familiar, somewhere comforting to deal with what was now his life. What did he know about being a father? How could he deal with bringing up a filly alone? Filly, his daughter was almost a grown mare, he had been absent for most of her life, busy with the Guard and his duties.

He had spent long enough in that river for today, it was getting late in the day and he needed to pick his daughter up from school. Fisher waded to the shore and started to pack up the remains of his lunch and a snack for his little filly. He made his way casually down a path he had created last week, leading him through the trees and past his house into the village proper. It's a rather quaint village, but for those living there it was plenty, there were only about 2,000 residents so there was no need of any large malls or fancy mansions. All the houses were well-built and reserved giving the whole area a very cozy rustic feel.

The path Fisher took through the village proper and into the marketplace. As he wandered though he greeted and was greeted by several familiar faces, there were the Biscotti twins, a pair of Unicorn stallions from Canterlot who much preferred the small town to the stuffiness of the upper-crust. Cranberry Biscotti was a vibrant red with a dark green mane while Nut Biscotti was a deep brown with his mane being even darker. Of course, Fisher was also accosted by the local branch of the Apple Family, Apple Crumble.

"Well hey there Snap!" she called out, her voice only slightly showing the usual Apple twang, being rather distantly related.

"Hey yourself kiddo." Fisher replied giving her a once over, her walnut coat even darker then normal due to the dirt she must've gotten on it from working earlier that day.

"So, on your way to go pick up your daughter?" Apple Crumble continued, giving a toss of her lime green mane the process, removing a bit of residue in the process. "How about I give ya a few apple for her, my treat." She finished, smiling warmly.

"How could I say no to that?" Fisher added, returning her smile. Soon after, with apples safely in his saddle bag he reached the school house. It was probably the largest building in the village, being that it also worked as a theater, community hall, and the homes of the teachers. As Fisher approached a bell rang out giving him just enough warning to take cover before a stampede of children pounded past him caring nothing for his personal safety in their quest for freedom. When the dust settled Fisher found who he was there for, a small unicorn filly with a dark rose coat and a lavender mane.

"Daddy!" she yelled as soon as she spotted him, rushing over and leaping to wrap her forelegs around his neck.

"Hey Sam!" Fisher answered, catching his daughter and sitting as the same time, so as not to fall over and make a fool of himself.

"Daddy." Sam pouted as soon as he put her down, stomping a little hoof in a display of frustration that was more adorable than anything else. "Mommy always called me by my name, Smaudre Lumos."

"Yes well," Fisher started, trying not to laugh at her cute display "She also could pronounce it correctly and with a straight face."

"Oh dear," Sam rebutted, laying a foreleg over her head and striking a pose not unlike one would see a noble mare do at the sight of dirt on her dress. "What ever shall I do with you?" Fisher couldn't handle it, it was too much, it broke him.

"PFFT HAHAHA!!" He put quite eloquently. "I guess you'll just have to suffer with my poor peasant speak." He added while trying to wipe the tears from his eyes and finding it hard to breathe. " Well if we're quite done I've got some fresh apples for you when we get home and finish your homework."

"Well I guess I'll get them right away 'cause Miss Abacus didn't give us any homework for the weekend!" At this point Sam was just a ball of energy conveniently shaped like a filly, for she knew what came next.

"Well if that's the case then hop on kiddo." Fisher crouched down to allow his daughter to obtain a perch upon his back. He stretched his leather wings and took off for their home. Incidentally those wings were the reason he moved to Hollow Shades. This was not only the village of his birth, but also the largest settlement of Thestrals, or Bat Ponies for the common folk. It was the only city in Equestria where there were more Thestrals than any other species of pony.

As he flew low over the village Fisher's dark grey coat caught some of the warmth of the sun, his yellow vertically slitted eyes slid about halfway shut, both from the enjoyment of the flight as well as from sensitivity to the light. In this moment, with his daughter on his back squealing with pure bliss, all was right with the world. This feeling remained with him up until he landed outside their house and he let down his (slightly disappointed) daughter.

"All right lets get you those apples then." Fisher said as he opened the door. "do you want any honey or—" Fisher froze halfway through the door, for sitting there at his dinner table was somepony he thought he would never see again.

"Hello Commander." The mare addressed him, standing to her hooves and straightening out her uniform. "Its been awhile, hasn't it"

Author's Note:

Well, here it is, my first fic. I mean, it only took me about 3 months of which only 2 days had any writing done. Yay laziness! Honestly though I'm mostly publishing this now so I can see if there is interest, if there is I'll probably write faster because I'll feel like a horrible person If I keep everyone waiting. That being said this is my first real attempt at writing something longer than an essay and any constructive criticism and feedback is appreciated.