• Published 10th Sep 2013
  • 1,079 Views, 15 Comments

That One Human - Spin Art



Gabby discovers that one of her classmates is definitely not from here.

  • ...
2
 15
 1,079

Your Best Friend or the Lyre?

"Sooooo...." I headed out of the dorm as Karly and Lorena followed next to me. We were just walking around campus. I continued, "do you think Lyra is a pony now?"

"Lyra is a pony?!" Karly spat. In my mind, I face-palmed. The reason was, one, because it was very obvious and two, I forgot to tell her everything. Karly added, "you guys are weird."

"Whatever!" I gently shoved her. We all laughed. Karly and I began to shove each other off the sidewalk for a while. We calmed down and kept on walking.

"I don't really understand how it works, but I'm going to say that she is," Lorena decided. Finally after trying to convince my roommate to believe that Lyra is the pony from the show, I sighed quietly. Lorena glared at me, "I'm just going to say that she is! Gosh, there is a difference between believing and just saying!"

"I feel so bad for her though..." Karly stated and kicked a rock as we headed back to the dorm. Lyra, during lunch, was really bummed out about her best friend Bon Bon. She really missed her. Karly glanced to the side in thought and looked back down, "I think I saw her at the dorm. She's studying in the lobby."

"Speaking of which," I remarked, "I have to work at front desk in five minutes."

I left the two sitting and laughing by the fountain that was in the middle of the campus. I headed down the sidewalk that lead to the front of the dorm. Swinging the front doors open, there sitting at the lobby table was the girl with cyan hair. Lyra was carefully studying her Biology textbook. As I walk past her, she looked up. Her golden eyes glowed with her bright face. She greeted me with a wave of her hand. I couldn't help but smile back and wave back. I was glad that she was happy now after the incident at lunch. Maybe she still had those saddening thoughts, but as long as she smiled everything was fine.

I quickly tip toed up the few steps towards the check in computer. After I checked in I went into the deans' office to enter through the back. Out of the cupboard I took the blue spray bottle. I walked back to the entrance. Fingerprints were smudged all over the door. With a spritz and a wipe, the smudges were gone. The door glistened better in the light.

"Hey Gabby," Lyra called. Out of the corner of my eye Lyra shut her Biology textbook and walked over. I turned my head as I kept wiping the window and gave another smile.

"Yo, Lyra!" I got up and opened the door to wipe the other side. Should I ask her how she is doing? ... "You okay now? I mean that like you miss Bon Bon and all-" Lyra nodded and giggled.

"It's fine! I dunno... It's my first time away from home without her," Lyra watched me as I worked and sang, "what'cha doing?"

"I'm working the desk over there," I pointed, "but I always have to wipe down the doors. Where do you work?"

"Ummmm..." Lyra pondered. She looked around the room in thought, "I don't think I work anywhere. I want to work desk then! Sounds fun!" The girl snapped her fingers and smiled again.

"Uhm," I added, "I don't think you will be wiping down doors... It's my job. I mean like, people every shift have different jobs like setting the alarm off, checking to see if the kitchenette is clean, or taking care of Guest Hall. That's not all you do though," Moving on with the next door, "you answer the phone from the desk, put away mail, get people's mail, and announce whatever the deans tell you to say. You see that microphone over there? We use that."

"Ohhhhhh!" Lyra exclaimed, "I was wondering where the voices were coming from. I didn't know that."

"But... you know what are microphones are right?"

"Yeah, we have them in my place," Lyra then paused again. This time she stared at me for a while with uncertainty. "How do you know about Bon Bon, my friends, and Ponyville?"

That question. I knew in the back of my head that sometime she was going to ask that. How am I going to explain that there is a TV show about their lives? I even have to explain what a TV is! I took in a deep breath and scratched my head. Here it goes.

"First of all let me tell you this, we have an invention called television or also called a TV. It's like show performances from Ponyville but all in a small box. They're moving pictures to be exact. Now, as weird as it may seem but there is a show about you guys called My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic," I waited for a weird facial expression. Lyra slowly nodded in knowing. Continuing, "The main stars Twilight Sparkle, Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, Rarity, and Applejack. Then there are background characters and you are one of them. You do nothing much but sit upward, get manipulated by the Changeling queen, and get your food eaten by parasprites."

"Oh, I remember that," Lyra waved her hand and laughed.

"Yeah, so you got it?"

"Yup!" Well that was easy, I expected her to start questioning EVERYTHING. The girl began humming a tune as she examined the world around her. How did she was she able to understand quite easily?!

"Say," I had to tell her about Discord. He might have diabolical plans for her here in the human world, does she trust the guy? "Discord sent you here right?"

"Discord?" she questioned, "the monster that was turned back into stone by the Elements of Harmony?"

"Yeah then Fluttershy turned him nice."

"SHE TURNED HIM NICE?" she exclaimed, "WHEN DID THAT HAPPEN?"

"Um. Princess Celestia had an assignment for her so then she succeeded," I headed back to the desk. Lyra followed.

"I need to see this show!" Lyra exclaimed and pointed the air, "I didn't know that these events happened!"

"Okay, but Discord sent you here right?" I cut back to what I was going to say. Stop interrupting!

".... No, I wished my way here. I threw my bits into the well and wished to be human," Lyra responded slowly, "then a voice said to me 'You wish to be a human, hm? Well then, I will grant you the wish, but you can only bring one thing on your adventure. What would you like to bring?'"

"What did you bring here?" I sat down on the swivel chair and asked her, Lyra sighed sadly.

"I couldn't decide if I wanted to bring my lyre or Bon Bon. But instead, I thought of the lyre. Bon Bon and I were arguing about these mystical creatures called 'humans.' I screamed at her, 'You know what? I'm going to find out about these humans! When I do, I will become famous and rub it in your face!!!'"

"Why didn't you wish for her to come? You can prove that we exist from here on out."

"I decided to leave her at Ponyville and discover it for myself! So I decided to bring my lyre. I can't leave without my lyre right? Right?"

I can't sing as good nor can't play any instruments. I was able to toot a few notes on the trumpet and I liked to sing... with my terrible voice. UCA was more of a musical school. There were so many programs for music, but for my credits I just took Band. Yeah, the band teacher removed me out of the class so I can practice more.

I couldn't relate to Lyra and her lyre, but I can see why. I would like to bring whatever was personal to me like my computer and tablet.

"But... I wish I brought her here. I kind of miss her. I miss all of the fun times we had even though I was here for a few days. Do you know what I mean?" she looked at me with hope. I looked at her back remembering what happened during the summer with Marijke. I stared at the ground filled with anger and sadness that seemed to mix but somehow clash.

After Freshman year, Marijke and I were in an fight. She began to hang around with others but not me anymore. Jealousy came over me. Her response was the worst, she responded "Friends always lift each other up, friends push her the right way." I doubted myself. I knew I was her best friend. I was by her side when she was at the hospital or well, I sent her a letter. I wanted to be there with her, so badly. Through the thick and thin I was by her side. I was by her side since she was the person who I hanged out with the most to the point we were a "group." Then she had the guts to tell me that I wasn't a good friend?! She even labeled me as "ignorant to reality" since I liked "sparkles, rainbows, and ponies." She was one of the people who put me down since I liked My Little Pony.

"Gabby?" Lyra waved her hand in front of my face, "you okay?"

"Yes," I spat and responded back. "I understand what you mean."

After then, I cried every night. I even though she put me down, I wanted to be by her side and help her. I wanted to be there.

"I don't think you're okay. You're angry," Lyra said bluntly. I glared at her. She grimaced so I took back the glare.

"I-I'm sorry, it's just... yeah. I know how you feel." I explained to her what I felt.

"I'm so sorry. But aren't you still friends with her?"

"Yeah, we sort of resolved the problem just a few weeks after. But I still don't trust her...."

"Hey guys...." the dean called from her office, "Gabby you are supposed to be working, and Lyra you shouldn't be in the front desk area."

"Oh... whoops! Hey, maybe we can talk later Gabby. I'll see you later," Lyra left the area to grab her stuff out of the lobby. I sighed and thought about Marijke. But then I realized....

I didn't tell Lyra about Discord.

Comments ( 1 )

DOH!:facehoof:

Oh well, at least you can have an MLP marathon right?:raritywink:

Login or register to comment