• Published 5th Sep 2013
  • 1,590 Views, 81 Comments

Mare Do Well: Raining Of Fire - ShadeJak



Set after Mare Do Well: The Series; Rainbow Dash's adventures as Mare Do Well bring her and Twilight to the Griffon Empire to face a new and powerful enemy.

  • ...
1
 81
 1,590

Choice and Consequence

“Ugh, a whole day to kill…” Rainbow muttered, rolling on her back as she lay on a cloud just outside the window of her room. “And nothing to kill it with!” She pondered a few possibilities ever since the sun had risen and with breakfast over, nothing was coming to mind.

“Funny, the days with a big event can sometimes have the least to do before then, huh?” A voice behind her said, prompting Rainbow to roll over and see Nessa leaning against the window frame. “My apologies for sneaking up on you, but I could hear you from down the hall.”

“I guess I can get a little loud sometimes. Kinda used to being a lot higher then this, with less ponies… or I guess anyone around to hear me.” Rainbow replied sheepishly.

“Believe me, if I wasn’t royalty living in a nation with a crazed revolutionary movement loose on the streets I’d be chilling on clouds more often, myself.” The griffoness answered.

“So, what’s it all to you, then, Princess?” Rainbow asked.

“Nessa is fine, Rainbow Dash.” The young princess replied, waving her claw dismissively. “Look, my brother’s out and dad’s busy so… if you’re bored, I have an idea. Come along.” She said, turning and leaving. Intrigued and deciding to humor the griffoness, Rainbow hopped off her cloud and flew back inside, deciding to follow.

~

“Ohhh my gosh! The look on that servant’s face!” Nessa said, laughing hysterically as she leaned against Rainbow, who was leaned up against her and busy suppressing her own laughter. “That one was brilliant, Rainbow Dash.” She said, balling her talons into a fist and bumping it against Rainbow’s hoof.

“Hey, a mini-stormcloud going off indoors? You’re talkin’ to a pro here!” Rainbow said. “Though the one you pulled before that wasn’t bad either.”

“Good to know, I was worried putting a rubber snake in the librarian’s deskdrawer was second-rate.” The griffoness replied.

“Not at all! That scream? I thought his beak couldn’t get any wider!” Rainbow said with a chuckle. “The wing stiffener in the pegasus guards’ coffee though was great, too. Was that awkward for 'em or what?”

“Just a few sips and ‘FWOOP’!” Nessa said, fanning out her wings and widening her eyes to mimic the guards’ expressions. “Lasts only a minute or two, so no harm done.” The griffoness stood back up and ran her talons through her feather fringe. “Well, Rainbow Dash, I gotta say you’re quite a joy to be around. Things’re sure to get duller once you and your friend head back to Equestria.”

“Well, if everypony’s still standing after this Phoenix jerk is gone, lemme know when you can make it over and I’ll introduce you to Pinkie Pie.” Rainbow replied as she got back up as well, smirking.

“Who?” Nessa asked, cocking her head.

“The most random pony you’ll ever meet. I mean, I may be the best athlete, fastest flier, and coolest pony you’ll ever know but Pinkie Pie’s got me beat in pranks and jokes. Her special talent’s parties and she bears the Element of Laughter after all, so I guess even I can’t best her there.” Rainbow explained.

“I can definitely admit, with all the drama the Griffon Empire’s gone through lately, a good laugh gets me through the day sometimes. Certainly a lot better then letting boredom or worry getting me first.” Nessa replied. “Dad’s been all serious, especially after mom died a couple years ago, and stuff started up with activist movements so I can see why. Still, though, he’s planning to make sure all that’ll change soon. Hopefully Loken can get a little of the weight off his back, too. In between my classes and being prepped for what I’ll have to deal with later in life, I just want to make the most of the freedoms I got now before the real responsibilities come into play… like the lives of everyone else.”

“I get what you mean.” Rainbow said. “I might not be royalty, but I know that feeling. Getting to have a little fun kinda helps, doesn’t it?”

“Totally.” The griffoness replied. A silence passed between the two.

“So, who next?” Rainbow asked.

“I know who… come on.” Nessa said with a devious grin.

~

“Well, hopefully that’ll help make sure security is tighter.” Twilight said with a smile as she trotted alongside the Emperor, a pair of pegasus and griffon guards following silently.

“I can only hope so. This night can make or break everything.” The Emperor replied. “They’re driven by a conviction we were better off in our times before and during the wars. Equestria had harmony, but we had our own brand of prosperity through our advancements and influence over our neighboring nations. Our military was greater then any other, our industrialized culture made us a beneficial trade ally with Neighsia and even the minotaurs. But for the Emperor of that time… my ancestor… even that wasn’t enough.”

“I’ve read a few things about the war, but only what Equestrian history knew. I know that not long after Equestria was founded, its civilization grew rapidly, because three cultures; the unicorns, the pegasi, and earth ponies united together in friendship to create a new, stronger place to call home, and then Celestia and Luna inherited the power of the day and night and took leadership.”

“Very true.” The Emperor said. “We’d been established since the time your kind were still in three divided realms. My ancestor, Emperor Claudius Griffonheim, saw it as an opportunity to conquer your land while it was still young. With General Razorbeak’s assistance and ideas, he ordered the creation of numerous war machines and weapons. Some have seen battle, others, thankfully, have not…”

“Oh?” Twilight asked, curious and at the same time a little intimidated at what the Griffon Empire’s leaders back then could have conceived for their ambitious goals so long ago.

“We’ve locked away many of them down below, I can show you.” The Emperor offered. “You seem a very studious type, Twilight Sparkle. Princess Celestia has spoken of you several times when I’ve met her for tea and diplomatic matters.” He explained with a chuckle. “I’m certain a little extra history would pique your interest.”

Turning around, he lead her down a hall and stopped at a large door, turning a dial shaped like a sun several degrees left, then right, then left, then pressed it in. With a grinding of gears, the doors slowly slid apart and revealed an elevator heading down. The two entered, followed by their guards and rode down to a floor deep below the castle.

“During his time as head of the entire griffon military, General Razorbeak sought to create weapons using griffon technology, assisted by gizmonk engineering and magical charges from unicorns that he had captured and enslaved. Luckily we’ve no longer the means to power any of them to their lethal potential, but they still serve as a reminder of our darker past I’ve sought to, like my ancestors after the war, move away from as best I could.” The Emperor explained, earning a nod from Twilight. The unicorn froze when she saw what appeared to be a large mechanized glider shaped like a dragon, with a cockpit and some sort of empty socket in the chest.

“Our air units could have easily torn through pegasus-assisted weather with these. Their powerful armor and strong wings, and sleek shape allows them to easily move through and around tornados and such without being sucked in or tossed about, and… well there was a purpose to the dragonlike design aside from it… well… looking cool.” The emperor explained with a laugh. “See that socket there on the chest? Give it a small charge of your magic. Just a tiny one, though.” He said. Twilight looked at it, focusing her magic and a small spark of it flew from her horn and into the socket. Immediately it pulsed when it touched some kind of orb inside, and magical, magenta light shone from it and its eyes and mouth. The machine’s head lowered and the Emperor gestured one of his guards go in. “Try the left lever.” He shouted. The guard nodded and pulled it. The head rose and its jaws opened wide, and a small beam of magic shot from it. As soon as it did, however, the light faded and it collapsed again. Twilight stared agape at the machine, shock and horror on her face as she imagined the horrible things such a weapon could have been capable of causing during more brutal times in the world’s history.

“Now you know why I said just a tiny spark of magic.” The Emperor said. “We had a few others models as well.” He explained, gesturing to a few smaller ones shaped like birds of prey with open beaks that likely followed similar purpose and use as the dragon one. Continuing onward, they passed several claw gauntlets similar to the ones Twilight remembered Rainbow describing Gilda having used back in Cloudsdale, as well as cannons and launcher weapons that also featured similar sockets that likely drew on magic or whatever other power source was available, and something under a very old, ragged cloth. It worried Twilight, the idea of combining magic and such advanced technology for war and conquest was a terrifying idea.

“The last and, admittedly, worst, is still yet to come.” The Emperor said. “This way.” He lead her to another vault door, this one with a larger triple-dial with several numbers on each wheel. Ordering his guards to turn away, the Emperor reached under his robes and removed a small gem, inserting it into a hole at the center of the triple-dial. The door lit up as the triple-dial’s sequence completed itself and it opened. Inside was a short pedestal that had to be as big around as Twilight’s own library tree home’s base. Atop it was a large, spiky metal ball with a flat top that suggested it may have had an opening for some purpose.

“What is this thing?” Twilight asked.

“A weapon you should be the most thankful that General Razorbeak never got the chance to use. Celestia and the heir of the time worked to seal it away. I have the only means to open the vault to it right here; a gem charged with Celestia’s magic.” The Emperor explained; a somber look on his face as he pocketed the gem again. “It was to be his ultimate weapon had he not been slain by Commander Hurricane. It was called the Eagle Eye.”

“The Eagle Eye?” Twilight asked.

“It’s completely inactive now, but in its day… imagine if you would, if Celestia dropped the sun on her kingdom.” The Emperor said. That was all it took for Twilight to realize what he implied. She’d read of the legendary griffon general being a ruthless and terrifying leader, but the thought he would use something like this was truly frightening. She looked down for a moment, and realized what the Emperor had implied by showing her these.

“You think the Phoenix knows about these, and is planning on acquiring them and finding a way to reactivate them to complete his plans.” Twilight said.

“Exactly.” The Emperor replied. “I want you and your friend to understand what’s at stake, and how serious of a danger he will be if he succeeds. Security will be focused here at the palace, with what can be spared to assist Mare Do Well at the gala. With these terms set, the Phoenix will have no choice but to come to us, but we absolutely must succeed if we’re to stop him and save both our home and yours. It’s a drastic move, but this cat-and-mouse game can’t go on any longer.”

“Maybe we can get you far away from here? Relocate these weapons?” Twilight asked.

“It’s too late for that, unfortunately. My ancestors and I made a mistake letting these monstrous things continue to exist and now we may well end up paying for it. I must remain here and be strong for my country. Even if we were able to relocate them somewhere, the Phoenix has shown himself to have eyes and ears everywhere; it’d only delay him from getting them and honestly, give him all the time he wants to plan a way to get them when we least expect it. He has to be stopped once and for all... I owe Celestia that much.”

~

“Well, that worked like a charm!” Nessa said with a grin.

“Think they’ll have a problem with what we wrote?” Rainbow asked.

“Not at all. The stuff comes right off with water.” Nessa replied. The griffoness paused suddenly when they came across the large clock at the end of the hall. “Ohhh, right, they’re probably gonna be wanting us ready.”

“Probably.” A voice said behind them, prompting the two to turn around.

“Oh, good to see you back, Loken.” Nessa said. “How’d the meeting go?”

“How do you think it went?” Loken replied, scratching the back of his neck. “Swiftwing caused some issues about it, but we’ve got the palace and city guard set for security both here and the gala event. I figure he’ll show up to keep up appearances, though. If he doesn’t, he’ll only end up under more suspicion.” The young prince sighed. “Be that as it may, we still have some time to kill before we need to get ready. Both in preparations for our… special guests… and ourselves.”

“Better get Twi and your dad then.” Rainbow said.

“On it.” Nessa said, preparing to leave, then gave Rainbow one last look. "By the way, thanks for the afternoon. You're a pretty fun pony, Rainbow Dash."

"Nopony can deny it!" Rainbow said with a grin as Nessa gave a nod and ran off to find her father.

A moment passed as Loken and Rainbow stood there, the griffon then looked over at her. "So... still some extra time... I could stand to let off some steam from that meeting, how does a little bit of sport sound to you?" He asked.

~

"It's simple, you hit the ball into the wall, and the other player has to hit it. Whoever misses first loses." Loken explained, bouncing a ball up and down as he hovered in the air. "Should let you know, this lean figure isn't just for appearances." He suddenly flung it. "THINK FAST!" He yelled, tossing it at the wall.

The ball immediately rebounded straight for the pegasus, who quickly swung her hoof, sending it back off the wall towards the prince, who in turn did a spin and struck it with his hind foot, sending it bouncing back towards Rainbow at a faster speed. Rainbow grinned and swung her hoof upward, sending the ball bouncing and flying in a diagonal arc towards the sky. Flying straight up, Prince Loken swung his claw down in a fist, sending it back towards Rainbow.

"You're dealing with a hero, your highness!" Rainbow said proudly as she spun herself at high speed like a small tornado, the ball bouncing off her on impact then it came rocketing at the prince. Rainbow stopped spinning, and stared in shock as the Prince now lay on his back, the ball clutched between his talons.

"Not bad." Loken said with a smirk.

"Well, like I said, you're dealing with a genuine superhero here. I've dealt with a lot of crazy supervillains a little sport game is nothing to me, now!" Rainbow said proudly, tossing back her mane just in time to feel the ball impact with her side and send her tumbling out of the air and sprawling onto the grassy earth, right into a flower bed. Sitting up with a few stuck in her mane, the pegasus narrowed her eyes at the griffon prince. "Dude. Not cool." She said.

"I never said the game was over." Loken said with a laugh, picking up the ball and tossing it up and down a few times. "And you look simply adorable right now." He said, indicating the flowers stuck in Rainbow's mane. Turning and looking at a window, the pegasus gasped and hurredly brushed them out.

"Please tell me nopony saw me." Rainbow said sheepishly. "But I still totally won that."

"We griffons play to win when there's something worthwhile to play for, Rainbow Dash." Loken said matter-of-factly. "Being royalty I've learned to take a pragmatic approach on things. I love it when I win, and I'll do whatever I have to so I can. My ancestry appreciates that, and I'm sure even you can appreciate that kind of outlook as well."

"I guess I can't argue with it. But there's a difference between a serious fight and a little friendly competition." Rainbow answered. The Running of the Leaves race with Applejack certainly taught her as much; as it left the both of them tied for last thanks to taking it far too seriously.

"Of course, and I can see it's done a lot for you." Loken replied. "You've become quite the hero back home, I can only imagine all the stories you have to tell."

"Well..." Rainbow said, her cheeks turning red. "Maaaaaybe a few, yeah."

"Well, we've got plenty of time before we get ready, so don't hold back." The prince replied.

"Alright, so it started back when I just sorta... I dunno, remembered how when my friends made up Mare Do Well to teach me a lesson when I got way too carried away with myself."

"Oh?" Loken asked, intrigued as he tossed the ball to her, the pegasus swatted it back and the griffon caught it.

"Yeah, it became less about saving lives, more about showing off. Kind of an extreme way to teach somepony a lesson, but in the end it made sense... by showing off I put a lot of lives in danger. I learned a lot, and then later on, I decided I wanted to try and be a hero again while I waited to become a Wonderbolt. Next thing I knew it was like it just sucked me right in, I saw all these things that happened, ponies who needed help and now I was there to help 'em out, and I'd never leave somepony hanging. So I just couldn't stop..."

"You make it sound like you wanted to." Loken replied, cocking his head.

"I did... kinda... except not." Rainbow said. "More bad guys showed up, and I had to be there to stop them, but in the end it felt right, I felt right. I gave up my dreams of being a Wonderbolt so I could be this. You know, be something bigger, something that was needed! It's weird you wouldn't hear a pony like me get all... what's that word Twi uses..." She muttered.

"Philosophical?" Loken asked, chuckling.

"Yeah, sure we'll go with that. I guess taking that turn gave me a lot to think about. But I don't regret it. I feel more like I'm who I'm supposed to be more then ever now." Rainbow said with a smile, beckoning the prince to throw the ball again.

"I suppose I can understand that. My title and position gives me a lot to think about, and a lot to plan for the Empire's future. My sister goes through plenty of that, too. She's quite the clown but she's just young and enjoying free time while she has it, I suppose." Loken replied, tossing the ball as hard as he could, Rainbow caught it but fell backward.

"Yeah." Rainbow said, raising the ball up. "So! Next story, wanna hear when I took on this villain called Shadowbolt?" She asked with a grin.

~

An hour later, the fated hour had arrived. Rainbow and Twilight had been brought into the dressing rooms of the palace to be fitted and tailored. The pegasus hated standing still like this, gritting her teeth and trying her hardest not to move. Twilight, however, managed to be still as marble, a feat which baffled Rainbow to no end. Deciding to break the ice, the pegasus spoke up.

“So you think that’s what he’s after?” Rainbow asked, shifting a little in the fancy deep blue dress she now wore that had been prepared by the griffon tailors, her mane down and styled like she’d had it at the canterlot wedding. Twilight had attached the enchanted purple gem concealing the Mare Do Well costume in the form of a broach for the pegasus to wear till it was needed. Twilight herself now wore a dark violet dress.

“Yes. The Emperor demonstrated the weapons that were used during the Griffon Wars, and what they’re capable of. There’s one there that he spoke of that I’m sure the Phoenix will go after…”

“Assuming he even knows it exists.” Rainbow said. “I remember a thing or two about the the riding weapons, but nothing about that last one!”

“That’s because only Celestia and those closest to the Emperor know of it.” Twilight said, pacing about. “Now there’s a chance he doesn’t, that he’s only aware that the palace holds a supply of ancient weapons from the Griffon Wars, and that’s enough reason to come after them. However, only the Emperor really has the means of getting to where they are, so they’ll have to make a move at the gala first, and I’m certain they’ll want him alive long enough to do this, which gives us extra time to stop him.”

“Just let them try. I can’t wait to finally lay a smackdown on this Phoenix freak!” Rainbow said.

“Well, he’s gonna show up in one of two places. Here, or the gala. You’re fast enough you should be able to intercept him if he’s not where you are.” Twilight said with a smile.

“Darn right I am!” Rainbow replied, grinning.

“Now… as for Councilor Swiftwing, Prince Loken has mentioned some suspicious behavior. If we can prove he and the Phoenix are connected, whether he is in league with him… or is him… there’ll be no where he can hide and we can end this threat once and for all one way or another. Cut off the snake’s head, the body follows and Rebirth is beaten.” Twilight explained. “Nothing to do now but wait.”

“At least it won’t be boring…” Nessa said, entering. The griffoness wore a gold dress with white skirting and trimming, her feather fringe given a more elegant style then her usual wild one. Loken entered shortly after, in a matching black suitcoat with silver trimming around the cuffs and collar, with decorative neck armor.

“That all you think about, dear sister?” Loken asked with a laugh. “Be glad, the waiting won’t be long. Father should be finished any moment.”

~

“Forces must be split apart; one half to acquire the Emperor and his family, the other to lay siege to the palace, and regroup once your mission at the gala is accomplished to focus our full attention on the palace.” The Phoenix explained on a gritty, recorded film as numerous Rebirth followers stood before it, Leo leaning patiently against the wall next to the screen.

“Acquire both siblings. Princess Nessa is next in line for the throne, she’ll be higher priority. Prince Loken, however, is also an heir, acquiring both insures the Emperor will have much to lose if he does not concede to us and we can procure the weapons which will insure our goals will be achieved.” The recording said, the masked figure leaning forward. “Brothers and sisters, from the flames we shall remake the world. Hail REBIRTH!” He declared, standing on his hind legs as he raised his claws up, and Leo and the griffons watching did the same before the recording cut off.

“I trust everyone got that?” Leo asked, smirking. “We don’t want to let our boss down. I’ll be attending to one last task before I rendezvous with the rest of you. Seize and capture. I'll keep Mare Do Well occupied.” He said.

“You’re certain she’ll be at the gala, boss?” One of the griffons asked.

“Positive. And the master and I have a special surprise in store for her.” The larger griffon said with a grin, and walked off before the other could ask for more detail.

~

“This place is… something.” Twilight said, looking around. A massive chandelier hung over the place, numerous griffons in formalwear mingled about, and guards stood near every entrance and window, with several more flying about outside. Her inability to think of a good word made her friend bust out laughing.

“Twi, speechless for once?” Rainbow asked. “I love it. Nice and high in the air! Could do without all the stuffy types, though. They look even more humorless then Canterlot guards.”

“Hey!” A pegasus guard protested indignantly.

“Aw, you know it’s true.” Rainbow said with an eyeroll.

“Try to behave.” The Emperor said, dressed in crimson-colored regalia. With a wave of his claw the crowds parted and allowed the royal family and the two mares passage to the high balcony overlooking the ballroom and he proceeded to approach and discuss some matter Rainbow did not bother to listen to with an upper-class couple.

Looking around, Rainbow noticed the Parliament was gathered in a corner, talking with Captain Ironclaw. When he finished talking, the captain flew over to them.

“Nice to see you all here.” The captain said. “Good evening, highnesses.” He said with a bow.

“Pleasure’s ours, captain.” Loken replied. “And thank you again for being here. With these measures, we’ve laid the bait and the Phoenix will have no choice but to make his move. I trust security is tight?”

“Dust couldn’t slip through unnoticed.” The captain said with a chuckle. “And who might your pretty escort be?” He asked, looking over at Rainbow Dash.

“Oh, this is Rainbow Dash. She’s quite a remarkable pegasus. Fast, strong, in my opinion would have made the Wonderbolts I’ve heard so much about in no time.” Loken explained.

“Oh, so you’re Rainbow Dash? Captain Spitfire mentioned you a few times when she visited our empire, said you show a lot of promise.” The captain said.

“Well, some… personal stuff kept me from becoming a wonderbolt, but there’s no doubt I’m too awesome not to mention!” Rainbow said.

“I’m sure there’s plenty of reasons for that.” The griffon replied with a smirk. “Well, I’d better go check in with my guards for an update. Hopefully we’ll catch any threats early on.

With a nod, the griffon captain turned and left, and Rainbow looked over at the young prince. “So… anything here that’s not meat?” She asked, having noticed just about everything on the tables did not compliment the usual pony diet.

“Well… I’m certain the desserts aren’t.” Loken replied. “Shall I get you a few?”

Rainbow grinned “Sure!.” She said. Being at an event like this reminded her of when she’d posed as upper-crust society in the hunt for Big Shot.

The thought of that experience, however, suddenly caused a downcast look to come on the mare’s face.

“You alright? The drama hasn’t even started yet and you seemed awfully confident about it earlier.” Loken asked.

“It’s not about that… just… eh, bad experience in the past. Wasn’t expecting it but something like this kinda, I guess brought some memories back.” Rainbow explained.

“Oh? Walk with me and tell me. I find it helps to explain your problems rather then bottle them.” The prince said, heading toward the stairs.

“Well, there was this pony I had to protect once… as Mare Do Well, ya know?” Rainbow said. “He was nice, handsome… I guess I got a slight crush, now that I think about it. It turned out, though, he was the one I was trying to stop all along… a changeling who was trying to drug a whole city!”

“I guess not everyone’s who they seem to be, are they?” The prince mused as they reached the tables and he gathered a few pastries, placing them on a small dish for the pegasus. Glancing to the side to where the Parliament members were, he suddenly cocked his head in curiosity. “Rainbow Dash?” He asked suddenly. “Notice anything strange?”

“Uhhh… wait!” Rainbow looked at the Parliament members again, noticing an absence. “Oh no…”

“Swiftwing… he’s missing.” Loken said, tensing his claw into a fist. “We need to tell my father. Now.”

“Hold on, right there.” One of the guards said, approaching. “What’s going on?”

“It’s important. Councilor Swiftwing is missing.” Loken said.

“Perhaps he’s late?” Councilor Lightfeather asked, approaching as she noticed the commotion.

“Or kidnapped… or in on this.” Rainbow said. “Twi!” She called out, getting the unicorn’s attention on the balcony as she prepared to fly up. The pegasus had barely left the ground when she was blasted by a bolt of lightning, sending her tumbling across the floor and grunting in pain. Looking up, she saw Loken and Councilor Lightfeather, staring in astonishment at the guard, who now wore a gauntlet identical to the kind she remembered Gilda to have once used.

“Rebirth.” The guard said. Three more reached into the long coats and took out similar gauntlets, firing blasts of lightning at several other guards. The four false guards immediately took to the air and flew to where the Emperor and Nessa were, and fired blasts of lightning. Acting quickly, Twilight summoned a barrier spell before they could get hit.

“Get them out of here, Twilight! Now!” Loken shouted.

“What about you?” Twilight asked.

“Don’t worry about me. Just get them to the palace immediately!” The prince ordered.

With a nod, Twilight looked at the Emperor and the princess, who gave her sibling a longing look as she quietly nodded. The worried look on the Emperor’s face was evident, despite his effort to hide it, and he looked over at Twilight, nodding silently.

“Okay… good luck…” Twilight said, fighting back tears of worry as she focused her magic and the three of them vanished.

“My own guards… some of my own guards were in on this!” Captain Ironclaw said furiously as he traded blows with one of the thugs. Numerous upper-class griffons attempted to flew, the two remaining Rebirth guards ignored them and cornered Lightfeather and the other Parliament members; the one who’d attacked Rainbow immediately advanced on her but was promptly tackled to the ground by the prince.

“I’m certain you know what to do from here.” Loken said with a small smile.

“Right.” Rainbow galloped off to a corner and tapped the gem on her broach. Her gala outfit vanished off her, replaced by her Mare Do Well costume. She knew she’d have to get the Rebirth thugs by surprise if she was going to handle them. Slipping out from around the corner, Mare Do Well flew into the air and released several flash bombs in front of the griffons, dazing them and granting Loken and captain Ironclaw a brief advantage.

“This the best you guys got?” Mare Do Well hissed at the two remaining false guards as she flew forward and slammed her hooves in their faces. “You guys. Leave. NOW.” She said to the remaining councilors. “So, where’s you guys’ boss?” the costumed pegasus asked the Rebirthers.

Before she even saw it coming, she was violently smacked aside by something metal. Tumbling sideways, Mare Do Well turned over and saw Leo grinning down at her.

“I never miss my cue.” Leo said with a laugh. Letting out a loud, birdlike screech, the windows promptly shattered as countless Rebirth thugs broke in, some of them fighting Ironclaw’s guards, some of them were Ironclaw’s guards.

“Good thing I came prepared.” Loken said, drawing a blade from his belt as he stood back-to-back with Captain Ironclaw as they both each engaged a Rebirth griffon.

Leo raised his prosthetic claw and it retracted and changed into a sword. Grinning, the griffon boss swung it wildly at Mare Do Well, who dodged carefully and swung her hoof at the griffon’s chest, causing him to stumble backward. The large griffon did a spin, attempting to slash her with his metal-plated wing, then lunged forward with his blade arm.

“Where’s Swiftwing?” Mare Do Well demanded as she jumped over the griffon and kicked him in the back, causing him to fall on his face.

“Heh, wouldn’t you like to know!” Leo said, spitting out blood and swinging his arm, narrowly missing the costumed pegasus, then thrust his blade at her, Mare Do Well jumped behind a table, flipping it up just in time to catch the blade in it. Growling, Leo struggled to pull the blade loose and eventually just kicked the table several times till it broke apart, swinging the sword again to shake off what remained on it.

“Then I'll just get it out of you by force!” Mare Do Well said, lunging at him and bucking him hard in the face. Leo tumbled backward and across the floor, crashing into another table Flying forward, Mare Do Well took several swings at him, the griffon grunting in pain from each blow then blocking them as best he could. Leo's blade retracted and his metal talons extracted back out. Grabbing her with his prosthetic claw, Leo did a spin and flung Mare Do Well over the balcony and through a window leading into another room. Tumbling across the floor and sweeping the glass out of her cape, Mare Do Well stood up just in time for Leo to fly in and tackle her, drawing his mechanical limb back to punch her. The pegasus turned out of the way, barely avoiding the fist as it smashed through the floor and raising her hind legs to buck him off of her into the wall. The griffon slammed against the wall and fell to the floor, getting himself back up in time to catch Mare Do Well's hoof as she swung it at him, the two wrestling eachother backward.

"Smile." Mare Do Well said, opening a belt pouch with her wing and flicking a flash bomb into the air and ducking away. The bomb exploded in a burst of light and smoke, and Leo turned his head away quickly to avoid being blinded by the flash. The distraction was enough, however, for Mare Do Well to take to the air and swoop down, slamming both her forehooves into his chest and sending him tumbling back into the ballroom, clearing the balcony and landing on one of the surviving entree tables.

Taking a few breaths then flying out after him back into the ballroom, Mare Do Well saw the pegasus and griffon guards were holding their own against the Rebirth, but then saw a few of them were withdrawing. Looking to her left, she saw why.

Loken and the remaining Parliament members were gone, and Ironclaw lay sprawled on the floor, dazed.

“Hm, looks like we got what we came for after all!” Leo said, chuckling. Growling, Rainbow rushed for the window, wings spread.

“Captain! The palace!” Rainbow shouted.

“You haven’t much time. My master has a message prepared for you, should we have succeeded.” Leo said, raising up his claw and another griffon arrived, this one carrying a messenger bag. “If you value the councilor and princes’ lives, you’d best stand down and watch.”

Gritting her teeth, Mare Do Well stood in place, Ironclaw stood beside her, gesturing for his guards to obey the cyborged griffon’s orders.

“Play it.” Leo ordered. The griffon that had arrived placed down a projector and put the film reel in it, and the video played on the wall it faced. After a three second countdown, the film played.

The Phoenix sat back in his throne, reclined as one claw rested under his mask, where his chin presumably was.

“Hello, Mare Do Well. I apologize for not being able to arrive in the flesh, but I have other priorities I’m certain you’re aware of, as well as one other matter to attend to…” The Phoenix said. The film cut, revealing Councilor Swiftwing, bound and gagged and looking rather worse for wear, a pair of Rebirth griffons standing on either side of him. The film cut back to the Phoenix as the camera zoomed in on him.

“Councilor Swiftwing is now in my possession. His voice of dissent… and use of martial law would have given him more power in the end… it made for a perfect misdirection, didn’t it? No doubt you and even the royal family suspected him of my great works when he was simply the most terrified of me! Wouldn’t surprise me… there’s so much wrong with the world, and a nation’s internal unrest that those in power will so readily blame eachother for… or worse… gain power from. You wish to face me, Mare Do Well? You can find me and Councilor Swiftwing at an old theater one mile west from here exactly… I’m certain my followers have just reunited him with some friends of his as well… and hopefully some rivals. How ironic two opposing sides could face death together, wouldn’t you agree? We can make this our final showdown. Defeat me, and you may end this feud. Fail, and take the Empire and Equestria down with you…”

“Like I’m gonna fall for such an obvious trap!” Mare Do Well snapped furiously, causing Leo to chuckle in amusement.

“Wait for it…” Leo said, sneering.

“I don’t underestimate you, Mare Do Well. It couldn’t be more obvious of a trap unless I outright declared it as such. But ask yourself this… what choice do you have? Ignore my warnings, and the Councilor and anyone else the Rebirth has claimed will die. I doubt the Empire could afford such a loss even if you somehow defeat me.” The Phoenix warned. “You’d best choose in a very short time, because that may be all they have left…” the recording cut and the film promptly ended.

“What’s it gonna be, Mare Do Well?” Leo said with a chuckle, several Rebirth griffons landing beside him aiming their gauntlets at the costumed pegasus, the captain, and the remaining guards.

“I think I’ll decide after you’re dealt with!” Mare Do Well said, lunging forward, but halted when the ceiling burst apart. Pulling her cape over herself, Mare Do Well shielded herself from the debris then looked up above. An airship hovered up above, and several griffons standing on the catwalks outside fired blasts of lightning down at her and the captain to drive them back while Leo and his griffons spread their wings, the large griffon taking a comm link from his bomber jacket.

“Confirmed capture of the Parliament and the Emperor’s son, boss!” Leo said into the comm link.

“Excellent… Head to the palace at once.” The Phoenix’s voice said from it. With a mock-salute to Mare Do Well, Leo flew straight up, followed by the other Rebirth members.

“He’s right… I don’t have a choice. I’m faster then you. Simple fact, get used to it.” Mare Do Well said. “So I’ll go find where the Phoenix has the Parliament and Loken. That airship’s probably too well-armed for you and who you got left to take on alone, so get to the palace right away, you should have no problem out-flying it! Twi told me there’s some stuff that should help defend it so get to the Emperor and talk to him about them because I got a feeling we’re gonna need ‘em!”

“Be safe.” Ironclaw said. “Alright, griffons, ponies, let’s get to the palace now!” He ordered, taking to the air and the other guards followed, doing their best to avoid fire from the airship, though a few were shot down. Rainbow sighed, knowing it was the only way they could deal with this threat now. If Twi was right about the hidden weapons, it may have been the only choice to use them before the Phoenix could.

~

Nothing goes smooth, why does nothing EVER go smooth?! Mare Do Well mused angrily as she flew as fast as she could to the designated area, seeking any signs of a building resembling a theater. The Phoenix had this all planned out, impossibly so! Was there ANY place safe from his knowledge? She wondered. If he knew about all this, he clearly has spies not just in Parliament, but in the palace, too! No one pried at a guard’s personal life because they were considered so trustworthy, who knew how long the Phoenix had this prepared for? Who knew how many seemingly trusty griffons were secretly in league with him, sharing those crazy beliefs of his? It could make anypony properly paranoid now!

Looking down below, Rainbow noticed a steepled building with a wide front, a pair of flat panels on either side suggesting a motion picture theater. That has to be it! I can still save them! I can’t fail!

Flying down quickly, Mare Do Well found the doors boarded up. Cracking her neck and doing a quick stretch, Mare Do Well flew high into the air and began to spin as she swooped down, the Divine Drill tactic that Spitfire taught was not forgotten. Smashing clean through the boards, Mare Do Well flew in, bucking down the next set of doors and entering the large auditorium. Looking around, she noticed a throne on the balcony overlooking the bottom row of the audience.

“You’ve finally made it…” A hooded figure in the throne said.

“Couldn’t keep you waiting!” Mare Do Well said, flying straight at the figure with all her might, grabbing him with her hooves and tossing him from the balcony, to the stage area in front of the screen. “Not so tough after all—” The pegasus’ eyes widened when she saw only a lump of padding and a small device with a speaker that had been underneath a ragged, hooded cloak.

“Yo-ou-ou’ve fi-i-innnnally ma-a-a-a-a-de it…” The device repeated, its message now broken and distorted.

Suddenly, a projector reel ran, and the sound of wings flapping was heard, but Mare Do Well could not see their owner from where she was. Flying to the window, she saw it unoccupied. Drawing her hoof back, she prepared to smash it down and hurry to the palace, but at that moment, a video projected on the screen behind her.

“You made a reasonable call, Mare Do Well… unfortunately not the right one…” The Phoenix said as he appeared on the screen, looming over the pegasus as she flew back to the stage.

The screen suddenly burst into flames, burning away and revealing the bodies of the Parliament members, excluding Swiftwing. All of them looked freshly killed.

"Oh no... no... no!" Rainbow cried out, rushing over and seeing her fears were confirmed. She had to get out of here... had to warn them... but her knees felt so weak at the sight of failure before her...

“The Emperor’s son still remains of use, but these weak bureaucrats’ lives have come to an end…” The Phoenix said, the projection now reflecting off the smoke from the fire like a malevolent spirit. “Just as yours is about to…” Mare Do Well heard a ticking sound. Looking about, she spotted a wired device behind the slain councilors.

Oh bucking Tartarus…

“Goodbye, Mare Do Well.” The Phoenix’s voice said as the clockwork device wired atop the many bags of explosive powder and dynamite reached zero.

Author's Note:

PHEW was that chapter a headache to get done and hopefully turned out well! Finally, though, I have been able to supply another chapter as the plot grows thicker. Stay tuned for next time!

In the meantime...
Rough sketch of the royal siblings!