• Published 5th Sep 2013
  • 1,590 Views, 81 Comments

Mare Do Well: Raining Of Fire - ShadeJak



Set after Mare Do Well: The Series; Rainbow Dash's adventures as Mare Do Well bring her and Twilight to the Griffon Empire to face a new and powerful enemy.

  • ...
1
 81
 1,590

Memories At Sea

“I’m here, Princess Celestia,” Twilight said, walking into the throne room and bowing to the majestic white alicorn monarch.

“Rise, my faithful student,” Celestia answered with a kind smile. “I’m happy to see you made it here quickly, I have a new assignment for you… one that will prove different from even when you and your friends helped overthrow King Sombra.”

The unicorn cocked her head, concerned. “Oh?”

“There is a rather urgent matter occurring overseas, in the industrial nation of the Griffon Empire… as allies and friends it is imperative that we assist in any way we can,” the Princess explained. “However as I am needed here, I place this upon you, my student, to meet with the royal family on my behalf… and perhaps a loyal friend to help in dealing with the threat that has befallen them.”

Twilight didn’t even need to guess who Celestia was referring to. Rainbow had gone through a lot the past year, and has proven herself a reliable hero for Equestria when she assumed the mask of the Mysterious Mare Do Well. The notion brought a small smile to the unicorn’s face. “I’ll see what I can do. I think she mentioned having wanted to see the place, plus you know how she is when there’s the idea of adventure, danger, and the like,” she said, shaking her head. “But what is this threat?”

“The Emperor has reason to believe the attack against Cloudsdale may have inspired more revolutionaries. As they are within his own kind, he feels perhaps the most reliable ally and greatest show of force against them is to present them with the very one who foiled the attempt on Cloudsdale as an adversary. However, the two of you have proven a very reliable team, so I intend for you both to go, should you accept this.”

“Well, as I said, I’m sure Rainbow won’t say no, and I would not turn down your request. I accept your mission, Princess Celestia,” Twilight said with a bow.

“Very well,” Celestia replied. “Understand the Griffon Empire is very different from our land. They descend from a predatory race and as a result are less… peaceful then our lands, and with far less magic they compensate with a highly industrialized society. It may help to have somepony of Rainbow Dash’s talents and... personality... around as well.”

Twilight nodded; for Gilda to have gone off the deep end she must have at least somewhat valued Rainbow Dash, and as griffons were avian creatures, Rainbow’s skill in flying and her street-smarts may have helped them fit in better. Still, she herself would probably be the better choice when it came to diplomatic matters. “I understand. We will not let you down.”

~

“This… is gonna be… AWESOME!" Rainbow said cheerfully, pressing her cheeks with her hooves in excitement as she hovered above the floor of the boat. She’d packed as fast as she could, including the costume she’d become more then accustomed to over the past year at Twilight’s assistance. “I’ve always wanted to see the Griffon Empire, Spitfire had told me about it, said it’s like, way different from Equestria!”

Twilight giggled at her friend’s enthusiasm, watching the guards and ship crew go about their duties. They'd been at sea since yesterday and her friend just grew more and more excited. “Yeah, Rainbow. Just don’t forget what we’re going there for,” she said.

“Yeah, yeah, Twi. Just taking in the moment, alright?” the pegasus answered indignantly.

“You’ll have plenty of chances for that when we get there. I’m sure it’ll be a new experience for both of us,” Twilight replied.

“We’ve gone through a lot of new experiences, haven’t we, Twi?” Rainbow asked, landing next to the unicorn and looking off in the distance as her tone grew more serious. “This time last year, I was just thinking about becoming the new Mare Do Well, I thought of how cool it’d be to go around in a costume saving ponies and fighting crime. I learned way more then I expected… like how I’d have to let go of my dreams of being a Wonderbolt, and what it feels like to… well… feel like you’ve got the weight of everypony’s life on your back… not to mention how the past can have this way of coming back in the worst ways,” she said, remembering Gilda and Lightning Dust. She managed a smile. “But you know what, Twi? I’m way more comfortable with myself then before. I don’t think about those jerks from flight school anymore, and when I see the paper talking about the stuff Mare Do Well’s done... well let’s just say I feel seriously awesome!”

Twilight smiled, impressed with her friend’s more mature approach on getting through life’s trials and troubles.

“…And not to mention, is there a pony alive even half as qualified for it as me?” Rainbow said with a mischievous grin.

…Rainbow Dash would always be Rainbow Dash… Twilight thought to herself, shaking her head.

“I just wish mom could see me. I know dad says she’d be proud of me, but… I’d have loved to have heard it from her,” Rainbow said softly, walking over to the edge of the boat and putting her forelegs over the side, resting her head on them.

“You’re going to be one fast pony, Rainbow Dash!” Firefly said with a smile as she watched her daughter fly in little circles as fast as she could.

“Of course I am! ‘Cause I’m super fast and super cool and I’m gonna be a Wonderbolt just like you were, mommy!” Rainbow flew into her mother’s hooves and hugged her tight

When her mother passed away, it devastated her, but she promised she’d be strong, she’d be just like her mother had been. She may not have become a Wonderbolt, but she became something way cooler. Looking down at the water, she saw herself, and for an instant, Mare Do Well looking back. Ironic how the image of the superhero who had been created to upstage her as part of a lesson in humility became the image she now wore. “This may not have been the sorta life I had in mind back then, but hey, now I wouldn’t want it any other way!” she said with a cocky smirk.

“You know, Rainbow, that sounds like Commander Hurricane,” Twilight said, joining her friend.

“Huh? You mean the commander of the pegasi who helped form Equestria?” Rainbow asked. “He was pretty cool, I’ll admit. I mean I did play him for that pageant after all!” she said with a laugh.

“Well did you ever do more research on him?” Twilight asked.

“No more then I had to. He was the representative of the pegasi, helped found Equestria, and lead the military forces during the Griffon War, and like me, he was the fastest flier of his time,” Rainbow said with a hoofwave. “Other then that, I kinda dozed off a lot in Equestrian History, Twi. No offense.”

Somehow, that didn't surprise Twilight at all. “Well, Rainbow, Commander Hurricane wasn't expecting to end up as one of the major players in ending that war. He never would have guessed it'd be him who fought the final decisive battle against the griffon commander, General Razorbeak—“

“Razorbeak?!” Rainbow asked, her ears twitching, then she let out a sigh. “…I guess now I know where she got that name,” she muttered, recalling the masked alter-ego Gilda had come up with when she made that attack on Cloudsdale. "Makes sense, those activists I fought probably worshiped the namesake and would have quickly followed anyone who could live up to it and give them their fifteen minutes of glory."

“Yeah, apparently,” Twilight replied. “But anyway, the two of them fought in the sky, storm clouds were everywhere, the battle raged on for some time, but in the end, Commander Hurricane triumphed, and slew the bloodthirsty general, causing his forces to surrender immediately.”

Slew? Twi, you sound like an old world narrator,” Rainbow said with a chuckle. “Still, that’s pretty cool.”

“Yeah, and after the war, he created the Wonderbolts, incorporating his personal flight tactics for shows in celebration of their victory.”

“Okay, yeah that I heard about. Shame I couldn’t have met him then,” the pegasus said. “Then we could compare awesomeness!”

“I wouldn’t have minded a chance to meet Starswirl the Bearded, so I know how you feel, Rainbow,” Twilight replied.

“Figures you’d want to meet the biggest egghead that ever lived,” Rainbow said with a laugh, playfully nudging the unicorn.

~

Rainbow grinned as she was surrounded by barrels of delectable apple cider. She’d managed to be first in line at Cider Season this year, and thus had gotten the first taste! So delicious… so perfect. She was in heaven.

“This has to be a dream… no, wait! Forget I said that!” she pleaded, not wanting to jinx this.

“Rainbow!” Twilight’s voice yelled.

The pegasus’ eyes snapped open, finding herself on her bed hugging the unicorn, who looked more then a little concerned.

“Awww it was a dream?!” Rainbow protested.

“Yes. You can… uh… let go of me now. I came in to wake you up and let you know we’ve arrived and you just suddenly grabbed me and called me ‘delicious apple cider’,” Twilight said.

“Promise me nopony ever knows about that,” Rainbow said as she got out of bed and did a few warm up exercises.

“Trust me, I wouldn’t want that getting spread either,” Twilight answered with an eyeroll. “Now come on, we’re about to dock so we can look around and get breakfast.”

Heading to the deck of the ship, the two ponies looked at the approaching shorelines, ready to face whatever awaited them in the Griffon Empire.

Author's Note:

And thus have I begun the third installment of my Mare Do Well stories!