• Published 5th Sep 2013
  • 18,229 Views, 177 Comments

A Celestial Mix-up - pchn00



Princess Celestia has been doing her job for a long time without a break. She finally decides it's time for a vacation. A mix-up with her replacement how

  • ...
21
 177
 18,229

Chapter 1: A Very Long Day

Chapter 1: A Very Long Day

“And as you can see here Princess, the projected earthworm migration could very well…” Celestia was doing her best to focus on her petitioners. Seated upon her throne, her absolute favorite cushion beneath her royal rump she looked out at the happily chattering earth pony stallion and plastered her usual serene smile on her face.

First there’d been a slow rock harvest this year. It meant construction would be slow and repairs requiring stone more expensive for old roads and buildings. After that she had to sit through a representative from the astronomer’s guild as he complained about Luna shifting the stars in the sky. She’d honestly lost track of how many times she’d tried to send them to Luna’s night court, but they preferred to bring the complaints to her. She in turn would laugh about them over a late night glass of wine with her sister, but it was still an unnecessary annoyance.

After that Blueblood wanted to propose she make it illegal for anypony under a certain level of wealth to be seen in Canterlot’s upper districts. How in the world he had planned to accomplish the proper identification was entirely beyond the Princess. She shot him down immediately of course. The day was brightened slightly come afternoon when she received a friendship report from Twilight. Evidently Spike had asked Rarity to accompany him to the Fall Harvest Festival. The lesson of the day was sometimes baby dragons get shot down by adult mares.

The new Captain of the Royal Guard, Sterling Silver, wanted a bigger budget to hunt down changelings who may be hiding in pony society. By hunt down he of course wanted free reign to drag anypony who might be suspected of being, or knowing, a changeling, which would essentially boil down to a witch hunt and possibly lead to a revolution. Which was certainly not something Celestia was of a mind to deal with.

And now she was enduring this incredibly tedious speech delivered by this stallion whom she was sure was a very nice pony. A part of her felt a small pang of guilt as she admitted just how little she cared about something he was so obviously excited about. In the past she’d always taken a keen interest in whatever her subjects were passionate over, whether she herself cared about it or not. She used to be of the opinion that just because you didn’t know a lot about something at present time, did not mean it couldn’t become something you were fascinated in with a little education.

Which really came to the very core of the problem. Princess Celestia was old. Very old. Quite literally older than a large amount of the dirt that made up the Equestrian landscape. And being the ancient, learned, well-traveled mare that she was… while not at all wanting to sound full of herself… Celestia was fairly certain she knew everything about pretty much anything that went on not only in her Kingdom, but the bulk of her neighbor's kingdoms as well.

And when one knows everything there is to know about everything, one can grow very bored, very fast. She idly wondered if Luna had the same problem. Probably not, she thought, given her sister’s knowledge gap of the past one thousand years, she was keeping very busy devouring every little tidbit she could find on this modern era. When she wasn’t studying, she would generally be out and about Canterlot questioning any random pony in the streets who made eye contact about whatever subject was currently interesting her.

Her curious behavior was having the surprisingly positive effect of endearing her to her subjects. At first they were fearful and mistrusting of the returned Lunar Diarch, but after coming to realize that aside from a noticeable height difference, Luna was far more like the common pony than her sister. After all, Celestia rarely left the castle. And when she did it was always in the company of her guards, and generally to see to some new catastrophe. Nine times out of ten centering around Ponyville.

Luna’s popularity only seemed to be growing as time passed. Her little sister was of course delighted to find her subjects so accepting of her presence. Equally delighted was she to find that more than a few twenty-four hour eateries had cropped up in the past millennia, and that late night dance clubs had grown in popularity as well. The younger Princess had stricken up a close friendship with a DJ named Vinyl Scratch at one such club.

Truly, Celestia couldn’t be happier for her little sister. After so many years of sadness and heartache, it was wonderful to see Luna finally fitting in amongst their subjects. Celestia herself had tried to enter such an establishment in the past, though the moment she arrived the DJ’s switched to the sort of dull classical music it was assumed she loved. The excitement died immediately and everypony more or less stood about awkwardly until she left.

When did she become the ‘old lady’ of Equestria? She liked to have fun. She liked to party. Granted she hadn’t been to an actual party not thrown specifically in her honor in quite some time, but still. In the past her parties had put anything Pinkie Pie put together to shame. (Pinkie was in fact an unknowing student of Celestia’s, having made several books penned by a Miss Sunny Skies on the subject of party planning her near nightly reads). The great volcanoes of the land of dragons had come about after one such night of drunken carousing.

Celestia was stuck in a rut. While she dearly loved her kingdom, and all her little ponies… she deserved some time just for herself, didn’t she? Equestria could keep running without her for a few days. Maybe a week even. That wasn’t so long a time.

Then she came back to the day’s events. Her subjects came to her for advice on growing rocks and herding earthworms. Maybe, just maybe, they’d grown a little too dependant on her. Maybe some time away from Equestria would do both herself, and the kingdom itself some good. She couldn’t very well just announce she intended to take a vacation. The outcry from the nobility would be enormous. Nor could she simply disappear. Heaven knows what Twilight Sparkle would do if she up and vanished.

No, Celestia needed an altogether cleverer solution. Something well thought out, and properly befitting a mare of her years of accumulated wisdom. She had to do some very deep thinking.

This called for cake.

***
Marissa sighed in her cubicle, poking at the little bobble head of a certain animated pony princess that decorated her desk. Watching the little plastic Celestia’s head bob up and down, she pondered on how this was the highlight of her day. Where had her life gone wrong? She graduated top of her class with her art degree, specializing in commercial ad work. She’d left college excited for the no doubt successful life that awaited her!

And now, a year and a half later she was still working the same telemarketing job she’d had when in school. She lived in the same tiny apartment she’d been in for the last three years. She had the same incredibly obnoxious roommates too. Everything was the same. She was supposed to be moving forward. She was supposed to have at the very least, some kind of entry level position in her field of choice.

The sound of keyboards rapidly being typed upon heralded the arrival of the floor supervisor. The callers like herself did at most, maybe an hour or two of real work in an eight hour shift. So while her job wasn’t exactly hard or stressful, it was unbelievably, unequivocally, undeniably boring. It was in Marissa’s expert opinion very likely the most boring job a person could possibly have.

She didn’t like to complain too much (out loud). At least she had a job. It’s more than she could say for certain members of her family. Her eyes drifted to a picture of her family on her desk, she and her mom smiling happily. Her older brother and father somehow managing to stand close enough to one another without coming to blows long enough to take a picture. She huffed and refocused on her computer screen.

Marissa loved her brother. He could always make her laugh, he was always there when she needed him. He really was the greatest guy in the world as far as she was concerned. He just had a bad habit of… being lazy. Really lazy. Alex was always happy to help, no matter what you wanted him to do or where you needed him to go. He just hated working. With an almost scary passion. The lengths he’d gone to in the past to wiggle out of getting a job had actually scared her now and again.

The worst of course when their father had finally announced he was dragging Alex out onto the crab fishing boat for their three month tour in the Atlantic. Alex had convinced one of his friends to back over his leg with his truck, fracturing the shin. Obviously this had gotten him out of going on the grueling fishing trip.

With a little grunt of annoyance she tried to focus on filling out her daily reports. Doing her best to ignore thoughts of her stagnant lifestyle and her loving, but infuriating brother she worked on drowning her woes in monotony. Halfway through twelfth identical report, a small chat box pinged open at the bottom of the screen. Wondering if it was Alex killing time, one of her roomies wanting her to buy more food, or one of the rare friends she’d kept in contact with through college she clicked the blinking window.

Immediately she raised an eyebrow at the handle. ‘Celestia5662’. It definitely wasn’t one she recognized. The message was a simple ‘Hello? Can you see this message?’

Marissa debated responding or just closing the window. She was a member of a few different forums and online groups, so it was probably someone from a pony board she frequented. Figuring it was better than just passing the day away with humdrum drudgery she responded.

‘Yup! What can I do for you?’

The little message that informed her they were typing a reply appeared, and stayed there long enough she almost lost interest. ‘Well! I thought there might be something we could do for one another. If I may ask, are you alone?’

Immediately about a dozen warning bells went off in Marissa’s head. She definitely didn’t want to engage in cyber sex, freaky RP, or whatever weird Skype call this person had in mind. She quickly clicked on the little x, shutting the window and ending the chat.

A few minutes later the window reappeared blinking again. With a scowl Marissa exited the chat program and went back to work. Her eyes widened as it seemingly reopened itself, and the window resumed its flashing. Again she closed it, and again the program restarted itself. Starting to grow equally frustrated and nervous, she leaned under her desk and flipped the power switch on her computer. She gave it a good five minutes before flipping it back on.

Sure enough the window was blinking, demanding her attention. Marissa chewed on her lower lip now as she shut her computer off again. Grabbing her purse she walked briskly to the desk. “Hey I’m not feeling well. I’m taking off a little early today.”

Her supervisor looked up from his paperwork. “You look fine to me.”

She dropped her voice to a low whisper. “Lady problems.”

That always worked. Wide-eyed he nodded and motioned for her to move along. Offering an apologetic smile she hurried down the hall tot he elevator, riding it to the ground floor and heading out the door. “Great. I’m gonna have to change my handle I guess. LAst thing I need is some creepy stalker.”

Halfway to her beloved little VW Bug, her phone began to buzz like she had a text message. Frowning she flipped it open, and nearly dropped it when she saw who it was from. Celestia5662.

‘I’m sorry if I did or said something wrong, I’m not very familiar with this method of communication. I was very much hoping to have a conversation with you Miss Masters.’

Marissa gasped aloud as she saw whoever it was on the other end knew her real name.

‘Listen to me you creepy fuck, leave me alone or I’ll call the cops!’

Climbing into her car she threw the phone into the passenger seat and backed out of her space. She yelped as it began to buzz with another incoming message. “Jesus Christ, some people can’t take a hint.”

Against her better judgment she peeked at the message.

‘Language like that betrays a very limited vocabulary Marissa. I’m disappointed.’

Equally angry, worried, and outraged Marissa snatched her phone up.

‘Well excuse me! You’re the creeper stalking me and wanting to have online sex!’

This time she didn’t jump when she got a message back. ‘I don’t want to have online sex! I don’t want to have any sex. With you at least. I was just searching for a specific kind of person that I thought may be interested in an offer I wished to make. It’s been a little difficult searching for just the right kind of person, but I think you fit the bill perfectly.’

Marissa had to admit a tiny part of her was intrigued. Someone was searching for someone just like her? Why? What made her so special? She didn’t like to admit it but she was at least self-aware enough to know she wasn’t some kind of artistic savant of anything. ‘What kind of offer?’

‘I’m so glad you asked! What would you say to the chance to visit another world entirely different from your own. A magical world!’

Marissa shut off her phone, and resolved to change the number as soon as possible.

***

Celestia frowned as the signal between the enchanted crystal she’d crafted, and the young human’s device shut-down abruptly. “Hm. Maybe a little evidence would go a long way to helping her believe I’m not some lunatic on the internet.”

She’d spent days searching for a world different from her own, but one that still had reasonably civilized sapient beings. Stumbling upon Earth she’d been delighted to note that the strange world had many coincidental parallels to her own. Accessing their internet had been easy enough, and after a few hiccups where she discovered one should be very careful about what you type into a search bar, she’d found something most intriguing.

Evidently stories about Equestria were told in this other world as fiction. A children’s cartoon show specifically. Many of the facts were far too accurate to be simple coincidence, and she wondered if perhaps the humans behind the shows creation had somehow caught glimpses of Equestria. Discord had sworn up and down he had nothing to do with it, but Celestia was fairly certain he was lying.

Never the less, it was almost too perfect for her plan. She simply had to find the right human, someone who was a fan of this show and make them the offer. She was sure many of them would jump at the chance to spend a week in her hooves, and she was excited to spend a week in their world. It was a perfect plan, with absolutely no chance of anything going wrong.

She’d found Marissa Masters on one such website dedicated to My Little Pony. Initially she’d been drawn to the young woman thanks to her online avatar. A rather beautiful rendering of Celestia herself. Her online moniker, The Princess of Awesome had helped as well. Celestia spent quite some time studying up on Miss Masters. It was a simple enough matter to discover her real identity and learn some background information with a few choice spells.

She really should have anticipated the human’s disbelieving attitude however. Their world was entirely bereft of magic, and the internet was full of unscrupulous individuals. Still, Marrisa was intelligent. Kind, compassionate, hard working, and an all around good person. The coming week was going to be very slow with everypony busy with their final harvests of the year, and preparing to usher in the Winter. Celestia rarely, if ever, had any petitioners over the coming week year after year.

Now she only had to convince Marissa to make the switch.

***

Blowing through the front door Marissa slammed it behind, setting a brisk pace for her room without slowing down. One of her roommates, probably Julie since it was the middle of the day and she was no doubt overcoming her latest hangover, cried out in protest of the noise. Ignoring the complaining woman, Marissa stepped into her bedroom and shut the door.

She actually shrieked in alarm at the figure sleeping in her bed. Fear turned to irritation as she realized it was her brother Alex. The lanky twenty-eight year old flopped over in her bed, contentedly snoring up at the ceiling. Marissa’s anger turned to concern as she noted the twin black eyes he was sporting. He must have gotten into it with their dad again.

Shaking her head slowly she sighed and tugged off his shoes, throwing a blanket over him. She could yell at him for letting himself in (through the window probably) later. Her brother temporarily seen to, she settled at her computer desk, grimacing at the task before her. Having to change all her names and accounts was going to be a huge hassle. It was better than dealing with a crazy all the time though.

The sound of her PC whirring to life wouldn’t disturb her brother, who could sleep through an earthquake. Literally, a mid-sized quake had hit their city a few years ago and Alex had blissfully slept right through a tree falling through the roof of the living room.

Hitting the power button she slid her headset over her chestnut curls and leaned back in the chair. If she was stuck doing this for an hour or two might as well listen to music. As soon as her computer finished booting up, a large window appeared. Marissa’s eyes widened as she realized it was a video chat. Though it wasn’t a person she was looking at in the screen.

It was a horse. A horse with a horn, a glossy white coat, and a rainbow hued, ethereal mane undulating almost hypnotically. Huge eyes of a gorgeous violet hue gazed back her her. A delicate golden crown rested just behind her horn. It had to be Princess Celestia. Or some poor horse painted to look like her. That didn’t explain the mane though, or how the eyes were too large and expressive for a real animal. “Hello, Marissa.”

Marissa’s mouth worked open and closed as she stared at what she was beginning to think was the best CGI she’d ever seen. “...uh… hi?”

“It’s a pleasure to speak with you in person… so to speak. I apologize if my clumsy messaging earlier was off putting. I’m not terribly used to the technology of your world yet. I think I’m getting better though.”

The astonished woman nodded slowly. “This is… a prank right? PinkieGuy42 or something animated you? But how are you responding if you’re just a program?”

“The simplest answer would be because I am not a program. I’m the one hundred percent genuine article. Princess Celestia in the flesh. So to speak.”

A panicky little laugh escaped the woman’s lips. “Heh! Ha. S--sorry but…. but that’s impossible. You’re not real.”

“I’m pretty sure I’m as real as you are, Marissa.”

“How… how are you talking to me? How do you even know who I am?”

“Well, I’ve been looking for just the right person, as I mentioned in the text message. You see, I’m looking to get away for a little while. Just a short little vacation. But I’ve been around a very long time, and Equestria doesn’t really hold much interest for me. I was hoping to enjoy a short otherworldly trip.”

“...l--like Twilight did through the mirror?”

“Exactly. Though if I up and vanished for a week it would cause an nationwide panic. So I was hoping that you would be open to the idea of making a small switch.”

Marissa blinked, staring blankly at the screen. “Yes. You and I would exchange consciousnesses for the week. I would be you, and you would be me.”

“Ahhhhh…..” Marissa blinked slowly again. “...you want me to be the Princess of Equestria for a week?”

Celestia nodded, smiling a little now as she felt somewhat encouraged by Marissa’s response. “Yes. It’s a very, very, very slow week for me. The fall harvest and winter preparations don’t require much of anything from me. At most you’d have to sit on the throne, smile and nod a lot. Deal with the occasional noble…”

Marissa rapidly flailed her hands at the screen. “Whoa, whoa, whoa. Deal with nobles? If the Canterlot nobles are half of what they seem to be on the show how the heck am I supposed to deal with them?!”

“Mmm. I find that generally telling them ‘no’ to anything they request does the trick. As I said, I’ve done a lot of research on potentially suitable people to spend the week as me. You’re the best of the lot Marissa. You embody everything I look for when I personally appoint somepony to my court. You’re a kind, generous person who cares genuinely about people. You have a good head on your shoulders, and I’m confident you can make sound decisions if you really must. And if there’s any tremendous emergency, I’ll of course leave a way for us to communicate.”

Marissa ran her hands through her hair. “I… but… but what about my job? And like, won’t the ponies think something is up when I can’t do magic or whatever?”

“That’s the best part!” Celestia beamed. “You WILL be able to do magic. The spell will allow us access to one anothers more important details about our lives and day to day business. I’ll know how to do your job just as well as you. You’ll know how to do magic just as well as me. I trust you to act responsibly with it.”

The young woman slumped in her chair as she pondered all this. “I… but you’re Princess Celestia. You raise the sun!”

“Just like you’d get to for one whole week, Marissa. What do you say?”

What did she say? What could she say? She’d spent hours watching the show, the movie, reading the comics, and more than a little of the fanfiction. Now she found out it was all real (more or less) and that Princess Celestia herself was asking her for a favor. A favor that would result in her being able to spend a week in the magical land she’d fallen in love with over the last four years!

Her giddy smile gave Celestia her answer before she spoke. “Ok! Let’s do it!”

Celestia’s smile was equally bright. “Wonderful. Give me just a moment to prepare the spell. A glowing rune should appear on the center of your screen. Simply tap it and the transfer will happen. The spell is timed to undo itself once the week is up, just in case some sort of trouble arises and you’d be unable to cast the spell yourself.”

Marissa nodded rapidly. “Okay! Ready when you are!”

***

Celestia couldn’t believe her luck. The first perfect human she’d found, and she’d said yes. Already the Princess was imagining seeing some of the sights she’d been researching through the internet. And she was equally excited to sample the local cuisines, maybe take in a movie or two (they definitely looked better than the ones in Equestria) and just enjoy a week free of royal duties.

Channeling the rather complex spell through the viewing crystal, she sighed in satisfaction as the runic symbol appeared. Now she only had to wait for-

“Sister? Are you within? I would like to speak with you.”

Celestia’s eyes widened. “Er… is it important Luna? I’m a little busy at the moment…”

“I assure you it won’t take but a moment sister.”

Celestia’s eyes darted from her door to the crystal. “Marissa, wait just one moment please, I need to speak with my sister.”

She was relieved at the human’s prompt response. “No problem, Princess! Take your time!”

Carefully covering the crystal with a cloth, Celestia opened her door. “What’s wrong, Luna?”

Her younger sister entered, practically abuzz with excitement. “Sister, I had a petitioner! In the night court just now!”

Celestia returned her sister’s smile. “Lulu, that’s wonderful. Was it anything exciting?”

Luna bobbed her head in a rapid nod. “It was! My friend Vinyl has been discussing the possibility of a new holiday in Equestria. The Winter Moon Festival! She and the others on her planning crew wish it to be a mirror of the Summer Sun Celebration. Where I will raise the first moon of the winter!” Some of her enthusiasm ebbed. “I… did not want to approve it without your permission.”

The elder Princess chuckled lightly. “Luna, you don’t need my permission for something like that. You’re just as much a Princess as I am. I trust you implicitly, and endorse any decisions you make. When did she wish to hold this festival?”

“Two weeks from now. On the first day of winter.”

Celestia moved to her desk checking the planner within. “Well nothing else is scheduled for that day. You can count me in as well.”

Luna’s squeal of glee brought a smile to Celestia once more. The younger alicorn rushed over and engulfed her sister in a tight embrace. “Thank you Tia! It shall be a celebration spoken of throughout the ages!”

Returning her sister’s warm embrace Celestia smiled. Luna’s mood had never been higher, and she was about to have her vacation. This was shaping up to be one of her better days.

***

Marissa stared at her monitor impatiently, drumming her fingers along her desk top. Closing her eyes she took a deep breath and forced herself to calm down. If Princess Celestia needed a few minutes with her sister, she wasn’t going to tell her no.

“Hey! Mariss! I need to talk to you!”

A small mewling whine escaped the young woman at her roommate’s voice. “Can it wait?” She glanced over at her brother, still snoring blissfully.

“It’ll be quick.”

Heaving a sigh she slipped her headset off and trudged over to the door. “What’s wrong, Julie?”

“T.V.’s out again. Can you take a look at it?”

Marissa looked from her monitor back to her half-asleep roommate. “Fine! But it’s gotta be quick okay?”

With a nod the smaller woman stepped aside, letting Marissa exit her room. “Okay, okay jeez. What’re you doin’ in there? Hot sexy chat with some dude?”

Shooting the other woman a quick glare Marissa marched over to the apartment’s large T.V.

***

Alex was slowly stirring in his sleep. Running a hand across his face he loosed a huge yawn and sat up. Blinking about in confusion for a minute before he remembered where he was. Eyeing the blanket his sister must have draped over him in his sleep he grinned a bit and threw it off, swinging his legs out of her incredibly comfortable bed. “Eh, I’ll cook her dinner to say thanks.”

Pushing himself to his feet he made the short trek to her computer and flopped down in the seat. She always got on his case for using it without asking, but he didn’t care what kind of freaky stuff she was into. He frowned curiously at the image on screen. It looked like a skype call, with no one on the other end. The camera showed some kind of weird library or something, but it looked like it was off the set of the Hobbit or some crap.

Then there was the big glowing button in the middle of the screen. He could even feel a little warmth coming from it. Not the screen, but the gold symbol or whatever itself. Leaning closer he could swear he saw little wisps of golden mist curling away from it, and into the air in front of the monitor.

“Whaaaaat the fuck?” Lifting a hand he move to brush at the thing. The second his hand made contact he felt a strong jolt run up his arm, then everything went dark.

Author's Note:

Just a little idea that popped into my head I wanted to get out.

Featured?! Wow thanks guys. It means a lot to me that something I've written that isn't a crossover got featured. It feels like an actual accomplishment to me. I didn't have a lot planned for this when I wrote it, just the basic premise. I'll try to drag out a story worth reading outta my brain though. ^^;