• Published 5th Sep 2013
  • 1,629 Views, 31 Comments

Forerunner - dubtrott31



Forerunners, who were they? And where did they go? These are the questions Twilight Sparkle is trying to answer.

  • ...
8
 31
 1,629

Prologue: The beginning of the end


"You cant win this, Discord! the Elements will stop you!" Yelled Celestia, leaning on a fallen pillar in the ruins
of the once proud throne room.
The evidence of the battle could be seen all over. Dozens of guards scattered on the floor, either unconscious or dead. Marble pillars crumbling and scorched by intense heat. Princess Luna, the younger of the two alicorn sisters, lay in the rubble of a stone pillar. Unmoving aside from the slow rise and fall of her breathing.

"Oh Tia, I've already wo- oh. Well, that didn't take as long as I expected." he said as he glanced at a larger hole in the wall.
"What are you talking about Discord? Answer me!"
"It seems that your student and her friends managed to find the Elements. Currently, they are about to turn me to stone." Shaking his head with a sigh he continued "I forget, that you two don't understand what its like to be in two places at once. Long lived as you are, you are not gods."

As the draconequus began to fade, He quickly reached out to the eldest princess and pressed a claw to her head, flooding her mind with images. "Know this princess, the myths are true. They will return. And every death will be on your hooves."
After several moments, Celestia found the will to move again. Could he be right? Are the legends true? Discord was the oldest creature in existence, it was possible that he was there at the beginning. Taking notice of the devastation around her, Celestia quickly began attending to the wounded, hoping that she could save them all.
Despite her best attempts to drown it out, his words stayed with her. After everything she had worked for over the past several thousand years, she had failed them all.




__________________________________>><<_____________________________________
Hundreds of miles away, deep within a forgotten jungle, a single structure stood. Trees grew around it, vines covering the exterior sealing the entrances. Dirt piled up along all sides. It was as if the jungle itself desperately wanted the place to be forgotten, to not let any more suffer the horrors found within. Ignoring these subtle messages from nature, a single pegasus mare continued onward through the thick brush.

Ignoring the pain from the countless minor injuries that she had collected on her journey, she continued to hack away at the undergrowth. It was slow work, but if her research was correct, her goal was not to far away, And Celestia be damned if she gave up this close.
It took several more hours, but she finally made it. Sure, to an untrained eye it would seem like a pile of dirt and some oddly colored rocks jutting behind the treeline. But to her, the lines were too strait. The dirt piled up was on the wrong side of the hill to be natural. And the rocks were not from the surrounding area. They almost looked artificial.

Slowly walking around the small grove, she took it all in. This had to be it. A city so ancient, it's very name had been lost to time.
Quickly marking down the location on her map, she retrieved a few samples of the strange rocks and flew off to the north. She had to get to the college as fast as possible. Hopefully this would be enough to convince her colleagues to give her the funding for an excavation crew. Sure she botched the last trek into the jungle, but how could she have known that she was being followed by a crazed fan. Despite everything tuning out alright in the end, she still left the temple empty-hoofed.

After two days of nearly nonstop flying, she had made it back to Canterlot. Rushing over to the college, she burst through the doors and galloped straight to the archmage's office. Not bothering to knock, she let herself in only to be greeted by an empty room.
"great, the one time I need her to be here, shes gone. Typical. Oh well, Velvet won't mind if I crash on her couch." she thought to herself as she began to relax on the furniture.
"Hey! this is a restricted area miss, what the buck are you doing in here?" Yelled a guard from the doorway.
" Oh buck me" she muttered as she lost consciousness.

Author's Note:

Total rewrite, its a pain but it must be done. Well, I hope you enjoy it. And feedback is always appreciated.

-Superman