• Published 22nd Sep 2013
  • 3,995 Views, 644 Comments

Brother Against Sister - CartsBeforeHorses



Teenage Pound Cake and Pumpkin Cake are fighting on opposite sides of a civil war in Equestria. Now completed.

  • ...
22
 644
 3,995

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 45: Kindling

Manehattan: June 2028

In the Parliamentary Square of Manehattan, tens of thousands of ponies stood, singing and chanting slogans. Tents were sprawled all along the pavement, and the smell of cooking smoke from grills filled the air. On this warm, sunny day, the protest almost resembled a cookout, but for the chanting and picket signs. The protesters often accosted stock traders, businessponies, and police officers walking along the streets next to the square. Everypony wearing a suit was subjected to a barrage of questions and comments.

“How are you making so much money in a recession?”

“You’re either with us or against us!”

“Spare some change?”

Twilight Sparkle sat in the meeting room at her Royal Palace, which was a few blocks east on Celestial Street from Parliament and Parliamentary Square. The western window gave a good view of the crowds.

“There might be ten, maybe twenty thousand today,” said Twilight.

“Perhaps even more than that, if you count the ones in the financial district protesting the banks,” said a tall, lanky stallion with a silvery mane and golden coat, named Shiny Diamond. “They recognized me on my way over here and wouldn't let me pass, and one tried to assault me, but thankfully I had my security.”

Filthy Rich, who sat at the other end of the table, laughed. “Well, they sure don't like me, either! Not an inkling why, though; my Barnyard Bargains stores offer the most affordable goods in all of Equestria! My business is up in this bad economy since ponies need a place to shop that won’t hurt their pocketbook.”

Twilight Sparkle smiled. “Your stores have certainly done a lot to help the poor.”

The other Council members nodded. Twilight said, “Now, let’s get down to business of fixing the economy, so that all of those protesters can get good-paying jobs. Diamond Tiara is late, but we can start without her. This meeting of the Equestrian Economic Council has now come to order.”

The composition of the EEC was now quite different than at its inception years ago. Twilight had removed the Oranges, Jet Set, and Upper Crust from the council pending the outcome of the corruption and treason charges against them. Twilight had added Silver Spoon, a mining magnate; Diamond Tiara, a corporate conglomerate head; Shiny Diamond, the CEO of Pursuit Bank; a mare who managed the biggest port in Baltimare; and a stallion who ran a large farming cooperative in Manesas. With each of them representing distinct sectors of the economy, Twilight Sparkle felt that they all could brainstorm ideas for ending the recession.

“Our fields are barren once again,” said the farmer stallion. “We need another subsidy or else even more small farmers will go broke. I propose—”

Suddenly, the meeting room doors burst open. A scowling Diamond Tiara stormed in, her normally light-pink coat drenched in red paint.

“This is an outrage!” she yelled. Everypony blinked in surprise.

“What is it, Diamond Tiara?” asked Twilight Sparkle, summoning a wad of paper towels for Diamond Tiara to clean up with.

“Those ‘protesters’ doused me in red paint. They said it was the blood of all of those homeless ponies who’d died on the streets, since I don’t allow them to squat on my property,” said Diamond Tiara mockingly, tilting her head backwards in disgust as she wiped off the paint.

Diamond Tiara owned several businesses, including Tiara Realty, a large construction and real estate development firm, and Tiara Entertainment, which owned high-class resorts and casinos in Manehattan, Las Pegasus, and Applewood. She also held stock in many other corporations. Though Tiara’s personality was abrasive and caustic, Twilight Sparkle felt that Tiara’s tourism and real property businesses gave her a hoof on the economy’s pulse, and such insights made her a valuable Council member.

“That’s terrible, sweetie!” said Filthy Rich, running over and patting his daughter’s head. “Daddy knows how you feel; those ponies harass him, too.”

“Not like this!” Tiara whined. “This paint is just the final straw. My fine restaurant on Lunar Boulevard has had a twenty percent drop in revenue since this ‘Encampment’ started in April. None of my regulars come in anymore. The stink from these bums’ unwashed, filthy manes has filled up the store from a block away, like a foul, noxious cloud of poison. And none of the tourists are coming into town. They don’t want to see the sights when the square is filled up with tents and garbage.”

The ponies on the council nodded as Tiara spoke.

She sighed, wiping her forehead with her hoof. “And now, my assessor has said that, if the Encampment keeps up, the rental space value in the Tiara Tower could plummet by millions of bits. None of my rich tenants like Maestro Octavia, Photo Finish, or Bray Z want to look out their windows and see an eyesore on Parliamentary Square.”

The CEO of Pursuit Bank said, “I agree with Miss Tiara. The Encampment is a stain on our fine city. My banking business isn’t materially affected by it, though some stock brokers and investors have been harassed on their way to work. These ‘protesters’ have even walked onto the trading floor of the Manehattan Stock Exchange to disrupt traders. The markets have closed early for two days in a row. The Encampment has long gotten its message out. This has turned from a democratic protest into a public nuisance.”

“These Encampment ponies are so dirty and rude, they make my Barnyard Bargains shoppers look like royalty,” Filthy Rich laughed.

“I’d love to give them mining jobs so they could leave the square,” said Silver Spoon. “We just found another coal seam in Azurica: west of Dodge, out in the Palomino Desert. I’ll need at least two thousand miners for that alone. But those new mining regs mean that Secretary Fluttershy has to approve it, and apparently the coal has too high a sulfur content.”

Twilight Sparkle shook her head. “I apologize. Parliament passed that law over my veto. I can’t quite go over Fluttershy’s head, even though I’m—”

“A princess,” said Diamond Tiara. “And a Princess should exercise power befitting her role. She should keep the mining business going. She certainly shouldn’t be bossed around by a pony who she herself appointed...”

Twilight suppressed a giggle as she wondered if the bossy Diamond Tiara recognized the hypocrisy of her statement.

“...and she certainly shouldn’t let a tent city fester like a tumor in the heart of the capital,” Tiara added.

Twilight shrugged. “I understand your frustration, Miss Tiara. But those protesters are exercising their freedom of assembly. The red paint and a few isolated scuffles aside, they’ve been vastly peaceful and law-abiding. That square is public property free for general use, including camping. I can’t just kick them off; it would be undemocratic. I might be Princess for life, but I’m not a dictator.”

Everypony chuckled.

Diamond Tiara still frowned, and opened her mouth to speak again, but Filthy Rich held up a hoof at his daughter.

“What about a compromise?” he asked. “One that respects their right to protest, but also respects my daughter’s business?”

Twilight nodded. “I’m open to suggestions.”

Filthy Rich said, “I keep my stores clean and tidy. Every evening, the janitors come mop and buffer the floor, and the stockers restock and straighten up the shelves. This Encampment has been on the square for two months straight. Make them leave for a few hours each day so that the streetsweepers and maintenance ponies can go in and pressure wash the pavement and pick up all the trash. That way, it doesn’t stink as much, and it’s not as much of an eyesore.”

Diamond Tiara nodded vigorously. “That’s the least you could do, Princess Twilight.”

Twilight smiled. “Okay, I think that strikes a reasonable balance. I’ll put out the announcement that the square will be cleaned from seven to nine this evening, and every evening thereafter.”


Pound Cake was lying down inside of his shady tent, his wings sprawled out, his sleeping bag the only cushion between him and the paving stones below. The night was soon to come, and he was exhausted from a long day of speeches and chanting in the square.

For two months of protesting, little had been accomplished. The parliament had only passed a few minor bills before adjourning for its summer recess. They gave a farm subsidy to the small farmers in Manesas and Neighbraska, approved a public works project in Baltimare for a single new dock, and banned cigarette companies from radio advertisements. Though these were welcome laws, much remained to be done. Equestria needed to tackle corruption, build a strong military, and provide a welfare safety net before Pound would ever be satisfied. Only when ponies felt safe and secure would peace prevail in Equestria and worldwide. When ponies were destitute, fearful, addicted, and greedy, wars broke out. Cities seceded, like Cloudsdale and Mareicopa. Ponies died without food, water, or medicine, or they were killed... like his parents. But he and the Encampment would provide a better world for a peaceful future.

He sighed as he gazed out through the opening of his tent. He hoped that these protesters would stay through the summer recess, even in the sweltering heat, and be there when Parliament reconvened in August. The protest couldn’t afford to lose momentum or dwindle in numbers. At least five thousand of the protesters were homeless and had nowhere else to go, but the rest had homes and might get protest fatigue. Pound himself was beginning to feel it after two months, and would have loved to sleep on a nice cloud or cushy bed instead of a sleeping bag on the pavement. But his convictions were comforting enough.

An announcement came over a megaphone.

“Attention, occupants of Parliamentary Square. The plaza is due for its daily cleaning. Please vacate the premises by seven o’clock. You may return in two hours. Thank you.”

Pound’s head jolted off the concrete. He rushed outside. Ponies stood around in confusion, and the usual line of police stood around the square, no apparent change in their demeanor. Some ponies thought the announcement was a prank, and made no effort to leave. Only a few dozen complied. Pound, though, recognized the voice on the megaphone: a police sergeant who he and Rainbow Dash had often spoken to. The stallion, named Sergeant Cuffs, had always disliked for the Encampment. Though the gathering was technically legal, Cuffs tried to find every excuse that he could to dispel it.

He had argued that the Encampment should be shut down for public safety, since a crime wave of petty theft and vandalism had started since the protests began. However, Rainbow Dash pleaded directly to Princess Twilight, who had conceded that there was no way to know if the spike in crime was due to the Encampment in particular, or just due to the bad economy in general. After that argument failed, Sergeant Cuffs started requiring the Encampment to fill out lengthy permits every day that they remained on the square, but the EFA had lawyers who could easily navigate the paperwork.

Now, Sergeant Cuffs was trying a new tactic. The plaza had to be ‘cleaned.’ Pound hovered in the air above the hundreds of tents and thousands of ponies who slept in them, or who walked around as the day drew to a close.

The tents were a bit ratty and torn from months of being outside, but the tents weren’t being cleaned, just the plaza. The protesters’ colorful, intricate chalk drawings of labor symbols, landscapes, and slogans covered the pavement like tattoos, and hardly a space was bare. But that was okay; normally, children would doodle with chalk on Parliamentary Square when nopony was protesting on it. Trash was scattered around on the ground in random places, but nothing excessive: only a couple hundred aluminum cans and snack wrappers. The protesters normally picked up after themselves. After all, they had pledged to live on this square until Parliament passed their laws, so why wouldn’t they keep their own temporary home clean?

To Pound Cake, cleaning the plaza was just an excuse to get the Encampment to leave. Oh, sure, the sergeant said that they could come back later, but then the cleaners would come back the next day, and then their cleaning would take even longer. Pretty soon, they’d be
‘cleaning’ the park all the time and the protests wouldn’t be allowed. Pound knew exactly how this worked.

So did Organized Labor, Hoops, Dumb Bell, and Rainbow Dash, who met in the large official EFA tent at the center of the square, standing around a picnic table inside.

“I say no way we leave,” said Hoops. “They’re just trying to kick us off!”

Organized Labor nodded. “They use this same tactic at the factories in Fillydelphia for strikebreaking. The factory managers cooperate with the police and send in firefighters with hoses.”

“We can’t let that happen here,“ said Pound Cake.

Rainbow Dash solemnly nodded. “I didn’t want it to come to this, but we need to stand our ground. They can clean around us all they want, but none of us are moving our tents. Go let them know, you guys.”


The clock had struck seven, and a dozen ponies held brooms and walked onto the northwest corner of the square. They swept reeking garbage out of the way, and clouds of dust and dirt rose into the air. After the orders had percolated down from Pound Cake, ponies had stayed with their tents on the square, but they stood out of the way and allowed the cleaners to do their jobs. But the activists still talked to the cleaners, though.

“We can clean our own plaza; this is our home,” ponies would object.

Others would beckon, “Come join us! You deserve better than a minimum wage street sweeping job!” The janitors ignored the protesters, just trying to work.

It went on peacefully but tense like this until the janitors reached the first row of tents. Their supervisor, a scruffy old pegasus stallion, pointed at the tents.

“Clean under ‘em,” he grunted. The other janitors obliged, and four of them grabbed a corner of a tent and lifted it up. Nopony was inside. Another janitor swept the dirt, gunk, and grime out from beneath it. A second pony came by with a power washer and sprayed down a jet of water. The pavement turned from dusty grey to white as he did this.

“Next one, keep it goin’; we don’t have all evening,” he implored. The team continued to another tent, but found a young unicorn mother and her two children inside.

“I ain’t budging!” she declared. “My kids are asleep for the night and you’re not waking them up! I’m homeless, and this tent is my only shelter!”

“Shut up, lady,” the cleaning supervisor scoffed. Janitors walked over to the four corners to lift up the tent, but the mare levitated the ponies off the ground when they got close.

The crowd cheered at this mare’s act of defiance.

The supervisor sighed, shook his head, and flew over. With a quick flick of his hoof, he whacked the mare’s horn. It didn’t cause pain, but it did stop her levitation spell, so the four janitors continued as if nothing had happened.

This set off the crowd, particularly the ones farther away, to whom it looked like he had just punched a poor, single mother in the face. They booed and jeered, and wrenched the brooms, mops, and buckets from the other janitors. Wood from the handles cracked and splintered, and buckets of soap and water splashed all over.

A young stallion threw a punch at a janitor, who had tried to wrench back his mop. A hoof fight broke out.

“Please, stay calm, everypony,” Rainbow Dash implored over the megaphone. But by now, scuffles between the cleaning crew and the Encampment had started all over the plaza.

“You are unlawfully assembled,” Sergeant Cuffs declared over the megaphone. “Protesters will all vacate the square immediately. Those who remain are subject to arrest.”

The crowd booed and jeered, as the police line slowly started tightening on all four sides of the square.

Rainbow Dash and Pound Cake hovered near the center of the square, about ten meters up, observing the showdown.

Pound Cake turned to Rainbow Dash, expecting her to make another announcement. Paddy wagons had arrived on the streets around the square. There would be a mass arrest that would spell the end of the Encampment. But Rainbow Dash said nothing into the megaphone. Pound Cake desperately wanted her to encourage the protesters to stand their ground. Almost a minute passed, with the police noose tightening around the crowd. A fire engine arrived on the scene as Pound predicted that the police would use fire hoses on them.

But then, Pound realized: Rainbow Dash couldn’t tell them to break the law directly. Just like she had sent Pound, Hoops, and Dumbbell to go tell the protesters to not move their tents. As the chairpony of the EFA, she needed to maintain plausible deniability and look good in the public eye. But Pound Cake wouldn’t let this protest be crushed, or the dreams of the impoverished masses along with it.

He grabbed the microphone from Rainbow Dash’s hooves and shouted, “Stand your ground! Don’t let the police move another inch! This is our square, not theirs!”

The crowd cheered. Ponies punched and shoved the police. Glass shattered as ponies threw empty soda and beer bottles. The riot shields clanked as tin cans hit them. Ponies ripped the shields from their hooves and whacked them on the heads. The fire hose turned on, but a pegasus swooped in and slashed it with a knife. A police van burst into flames as an orange-coated unicorn lit it ablaze.

“BURN IT DOWN!” he shouted, cackling maniacally.

“Cops go home! Cops go home!” the Encampment yelled.

The clashes continued for ten minutes, with the police firing tear gas and pegasus officers attempting to swoop into the square, but with activists holding them back. Finally, off in the distance, Sergeant Cuffs motioned away. The officers pulled back to the opposite streets as the Encampment whooped and hollered.

Pound Cake smiled as the tents and protesters remained.

“We’ll never leave this square ‘till our demands are met!” he shouted.

Everypony cheered.


Hollow Shades

“...and the police, outnumbered and outfought, drew back to their original lines, on the outside of the streets leading up to the square. I think it’s clear that they can use more force if they want to, but the police really want to avoid any bloodshed or rioting in Equestria’s largest city. I spoke to Sergeant Cuffs this morning, and that was the impression that he gave me. Either way, the Encampment has won this round. This is Maron Destreet reporting from WMNE in Manehattan. Back to you, George.”

Inside a small hut in Hollow Shades, Hayseed Turniptruck and dozens of his extended family members clapped, cheered, and hollered, throwing their hats up into the air. The radio on the rickety wooden table shook as they stomped their hooves.

“Yeah! Us little folk really can make a difference!” Hayseed’s uncle Verl shouted as he sat on a tatty old recliner, a beer wedged in between his rolls of belly fat.

“I’ll say. Boy howdy, they sure dun showed them pigs who’s boss!” his cousin Jaysee whooped, waving her cowboy hat in the air.

Turniptruck himself was elated and ecstatic, as he popped the top on his fifth beer of the night. His clan had been listening to the radio broadcast live from Manehattan like they would normally watch a Hollow Shades High School hoofball game, or like they would normally celebrate the completion of a successful harvest at his old farm.

His farm…

“Hey... hey gang!” Hayseed shouted.

His kin all looked towards him.

“I ain’t been… I ain’t been right for three years. That Filthy’s Barnyard Bargains don’t belong on my land, do it?”

They all shook their heads.

“That was my turnip farm! It had been in my family for ages! And they just took it from me with some eminate domain whatsit… he stole it! Plain and simple!”

“Yeah!” his clan shouted.

“And their predatory pricin’ has put dozens of mom n’ pop places out of business!” Cousin Jaysee said.

“Well what the heck are we doin’ sittin’ around here listenin’ to the radio fer?” Uncle Verl shouted. “Let’s go take it back, just like them Encampers took back their square!”

Everypony cheered and hollered.

The dozens of Turniptruck family members rushed out of the shack, going into the barn outside and retrieving torches, lanterns, and pitchforks. They rushed out into the road, running into the city of Hollow Shades proper.

“We’re havin’... a good ol’... fashioned Barn razing!” Uncle Verl shouted, panting and struggling to keep up with the running crowd.

“Everypony to the Barnyard Bargains! Everypony to the Barnyard Bargains!” shouted Jaysee at the top of her lungs.

Ponies clamored out of cajun restaurants, piled out of apartments, and thronged out of movie theaters to join the large, angry crowd. The town’s minority of pegasi and unicorns soared through the sky and teleported along the streets, and the ground of the small city shook with the earth pony rage. After crossing through the town center, they continued on the road to the outskirts, where Turniptruck’s farm once stood, and where Rich’s Barnyard Bargains had now taken its place.

As Filthy Rich had predicted, it was quite a busy store in the impoverished city, but that didn’t stop the crowds from gathering around it with torches and pitchforks.

The greeter, an elderly earth pony with a blue vest, said, “Hi, welcome to Rich’s Barnyard Bargaaaaah!” screaming in shock at the crowd armed with torches and pitchforks.

Opportunistic looters ran ahead of the angry mob and zipped through the doors, shoving through confused shoppers trying to flee. They ripped radios from the racks, plucked produce from the produce bins, and stole stuff from every section of the store.

An announcement came over the intercom, “Cleanup on aisle five! Aisle six! Aisle seven… just clean up the whole damn store already! Everypony get out of here!”


A cardboard sign which proclaimed “Barn Busting Deals!” was punched through by an angry mare as she grabbed a giant six pack of paper towels from a shelf. She ran back out through the door and held up her prize above her head like a gold-winning athlete. A journalist snapped a picture.

“I’m cleanin’ up some spiiiiilllls tonight!” she shouted, her wide buck-toothed smile glinting from the camera flash.

The looters rushed out with their loot, smiling and hollering, as employees and regular shoppers clamored out the door, trying to blend in with the looters, lest the angry mob attack them for supporting Rich’s Barnyard Bargains.

By now, the ponies armed with torches and pitchforks had arrived. They threw giant kegs of beer and bottles through the windows and doors of the store, and threw torches to ignite them.

“Alright gang, let’s sing it, you all know the words!” Jaysee proclaimed.

“Yeeeeehaw!” Hayseed Turniptruck called out.

The crowd sang,

“Raze this Barn, raze this Barn,
One, two, three, four
Together we can raze this Barn,
One, two, three, four.

Pour the gas, start the blaze
Watch as it goes up in flames
Don’t kill or harm the ones inside
We only want the Barn alight.

Ponies in the crowd doused the storefront in gasoline, drenching the wooden and brick sides as they threw torches and cigarette butts onto it. The last of the panicked employees and shoppers escaped through the front doors, loading bay, and fire exits as flames now lapped at every corner of the building.

“Raze this barn, oh, raze this barn
One, two, three, four
Together, we can raze this barn
One, two, three, four

Watch as smoke fills up the air
Take away our every care
Fuel the flames and watch it burn
Filthy hopes his store’s insured.

The roof had collapsed in on the inferno as ponies posed for pictures outside. Once the fire reached the home and auto section, it was all over: tires, oil, dry lumber, and other flammable parts ignited. A small explosion burst through the corner, though nopony was there to get hurt. A mare with a fiddle skipped around, shredding on it for an hour as ponies danced do-si-do’s. A few of the fillies and colts even roasted marshmallows close to the blaze.

The fire department arrived, but they merely stood by, not wanting the angry crowd to target them. An hour later, the store was reduced to a blackened, charred heap on the ground. The crowd sang one last refrain of their song in celebration.

“Raze this barn, raze this barn,
Yes, we did
Together we sure razed this barn
Yes, we did.

Hayseed’s family owns this land.
It’s theirs, now Filthy understands:
Hollow Shades don’t want his store
He’ll never come back anymore.


Baltimare

On the west side of the port city of Baltimare, there stood several abandoned warehouses, apartment complexes, and other buildings. Even before the recession, this area of town had been depressed and run down, but now, more buildings stood empty than ever before.

But one large abandoned factory warehouse brimmed with ponies, donkeys, cattle, sheep, and all sorts of hoofed creatures walking in and out, carrying sacks, carts, and other items along with them through the giant bay doors.

Inside the huge warehouse, makeshift shacks made of empty wooden crates stood in two rows, alongside either wall. Tarps were draped over gaps in the crates to form the doorways, and people walked in and out of them. Hundreds of such crate huts filled the massive warehouse.

Jolly Doodle Donkey trudged along, pulling a cart full of potatoes behind him, the wooden cart creaking just like his aging back. His once-acerbic, cranky demeanor had left him. He had a grin on his face and as jovial of a skip in his step as a donkey could be expected to have at age seventy.

The giant announcement board stood on the far end of the warehouse. Once reserved for shipping and arrival information, it now served a different purpose.

“Tonight’s Dinner: Fried Potato Friday”

Of course, he figured. It was such a clever pun; why wouldn’t there be fried potatoes every friday? It hadn’t been any different for the last two years, after all. He brought his load into the center of the warehouse, where the salty-smelling potatoes were sizzling above a fire. Hundreds of grinning people waited patiently in a line, while a lone donkey wearing a white apron and a chef’s hat fried up the potatoes.

Matilda... Jolly caught himself thinking, but then stopped. The donkey wasn’t Matilda, of course. She was gone. It would be nice after the coat dyeing, he thought. Solid white would be far from the brown coat of his former wife. No reminders left.

A mare’s voice came over the intercom.

“Attention, Jolly Doodle. Please report to the processing department.”

Jolly’s long, droopy ears shot up. He left the potato cart with the cook, racing over to the opposite side of the warehouse towards a small, attached office. He knocked on the door.

“Come in, Jolly.”

Jolly entered the office and sat in a chair before the supervisor. A newspaper on her desk showed pictures of unrest in Manehattan and Hollow Shades.

“Good afternoon, Jolly,” said the supervisor.

“Afternoon.”

“You’ve been out into the city during your expedition today, yes?”

He merely nodded. He was a donkey of few words.

“So is it true? Has the Encampment spread to Baltimare?”

Jolly spoke in short, gruff sentences. “Yes. There’s lots of tents near the docks. Makeshift homes, like ours in the warehouse.”

“So from what you’ve seen, are they all homeless, or just protesting?”

Jolly shrugged. “A mix of both, I guess.”

The supervisor nodded. “Regardless, they all want a better life. They want an egalitarian Equestria without oligarchs, with true equality. I welcome it, but they can’t make these huge changes by themselves. They need our magic so that everypony...er, everybody... can truly realize their dreams.”

Jolly glanced down at his flank. His gorgeous flank displayed what donkeys normally could never receive: a cutie mark. For his entire life until a few years ago, the former Cranky Doodle Donkey had been rather aimless, whether in his love life, home, or career. He’d switched jobs and moved from town to town. Marrying his sweetheart Matilda had only temporarily parted the clouds of his lifelong depression, as she’d left him after a severe argument.

But then, after moving once again to Baltimare, he had been given a cutie mark. He discovered his special talent: to be just as useful, just as wanted, and just as vital to the community as the ponies were, to have them love and respect him just like a pony.

Everywhere else in Equestria, ponies and zebras looked down on donkeys, sheep, and cattle for not having magic or cutie marks. They were called common farm animals or ‘farmies’ and treated as second-class citizens for that deemed disadvantage. Some donkeys were successful despite pony racism—usually entertainers like like Bray Z or Heehaw Fanque—but most farm animals could only find ‘jobs’ on farms. They often received no pay other than grassland to graze and a roof over their heads, where they were never seen as equals to the ponies who ran them. This sharecropping wasn’t technically slavery since that was illegal, and sharecropping was voluntary, but in Jolly’s eyes it might as well have been slavery. The only jobs for cows and sheep were to be milked for milk, or sheared for wool. “Know your place,” they were always told.

To some farm animals, it was the easy life, and they enjoyed not having any responsibilities. Donkeys and bulls had it far rougher than sheep and cows, since they had to do manual labor with their muscles; they couldn’t just stand around letting their follicles or mammaries do the work. Jolly had always despised the farm life, and he had always wanted something more: a real job, a professional career. But ponies’ prejudice had always stood in his way, and he was never hired for more than menial jobs like dishwasher or delivery pony. If he were to apply for an office job, for instance, he’d be going up against ponies who had cutie marks to prove they were good file clerks or secretaries. What manager would hire a markless donkey with no experience and no magic?

In the Warehouse of Baltimare, though, he had been accepted and given a job like everyone else. He was now a trader: bartering in Baltimare for crops that the Warehouse didn’t yet grow on its own. Never in his life had he ever been so happy, and like all the others, he had changed his name after being reborn from the magic spell to grant him a cutie mark. Like the fairytale wooden puppet, he had become a real boy. He smiled as he glanced at his cutie mark, the exact same as the five hundred other Warehouse residents of all different species: a black equals sign.

The supervisor smiled and asked, “Jolly, will you do me a favor? Tomorrow, go to the Baltimare Encampment and tell them about us, about our mission. Tell unicorns, pegasi, and earth ponies… but most of all, tell your fellow donkeys what we have to offer here. Our government can save them from the ponies’ bondage of bigotry, from nature’s bondage of having no cutie mark, and give them what they deserve.”

Jolly hee-hawed, a wide smile on his face. “Yes, Starlight Glimmer.”

Author's Note:

The Encampment refuses to budge. Hayseed and his clan burn down Rich's Barnyard Bargains in Hollow Shades. The Encampment is joined in its struggles by the Warehouse, led by none other than Starlight Glimmer! (If you're confused about how she works out with the BAS canon, please see the trivia section below.)

DISCUSSION QUESTIONS
-Should Pound Cake and his group have budged from the square to allow cleaning, or were they within their right to freedom of assembly to stay there as long as they wanted? How can this be balanced against the economic hardship that they're causing Diamond Tiara's business?
-Should Hayseed's clan have burnt down Rich's Barnyard Bargains?
-Now that Starlight Glimmer's mission covers not only taking away cutie marks from ponies, but also giving equal sign cutie marks to the 'farmies,' is your opinion of her in this story different from the opinion you made of her in season five premier?
-Given what Cranky/Jolly has now informed us about the position of farm animals in Equestria, basically sharecroppers paid in housing and grazing rights, how do you feel about Applejack at Sweet Apple Acres? Is she doing a good thing by providing those cows and sheep with shelter and grass in exchange for wool and milk, since it's a voluntary exchange and those farm animals wouldn't have that choice if not for her (Pumpkin Cake's answer)? Or is Applejack merely working to perpetuate an oppressive system of workplace discrimination and exploitation in Equestria whereby the only viable career 'choice' for a cow is 'living milk factory' (Pound Cake's answer)?

TRIVIA
-If you can't guess who Diamond Tiara is supposed to be channeling, well... you're fired! :ajsmug:
-Heehaw Fanque is a reference to Pablo Fanque.
-The choice to include a season 5 character like Starlight Glimmer might seem odd given my story's stated compliance with only season 1-3 canon, but I have included characters from later seasons before, like Peachy Pitt or that cameo by Cheese Sandwich. Just remember that since Starlight Glimmer hadn't been introduced as of Season 3, she essentially is equivalent to an original character like Walkabout. So please don't assume that anything in the show regarding season 5's version of Starlight Glimmer applies to this version of Starlight Glimmer. All we know about her right now is what we've seen in the story: that she is a unicorn living in Baltimare, is sympathetic to the plight of the farm animals, and has some sort of cutie mark magic spell, the workings of which are unknown at this point.

PreviousChapters Next