• Published 3rd Sep 2013
  • 651 Views, 21 Comments

Lunatics - GottaLovePinkiePie



All families have their wounds. All friendships have secrets. But not all stories have a happy ending.

  • ...
2
 21
 651

On The Run

The rain drummed down on the streets, in the distance a forceful thunder echoed through the Galloping Gorge, empowering the boom tenfold. A poster waved in the cold wind, the ink had faded away in some places, leaving large smudges after it like shadows. A picture on it portrayed a white mare, running for her life past the camera. Drops of water flowed down the image, like tears race down your cheeks.

A powerful gust of cold air ripped the poster off the pole to which it had been taped. It whirled in the air like falling autumn leaves, until the rain brought it down into the mud. A small puddle had begun forming over it, just as a white hoof splashed into it, splattering away the water.

Tricky's ragged breaths cut through the air like a burglar alarm. The mere sound of her hooves on the ground and her breaths seemed to expose her to whoever was after her.

She wouldn't be able to return to the hotel, let alone warn Blaze about what was happening. She had to get away, and fast.

Every now and then, she could hear other hoofsteps chasing her. She never knew who it was, never dared to turn around and see for herself so she just kept on running.

Out of the blue, railroad tracks appeared before her. For the first time since she'd freed herself from the chains, she stopped to take a few breaths.

Vapour formed around her sweating body, creating a flowing mist around her. She let her head fall down, all she could hear was her own deafening breathing and the rain crashing down on the ground.

She lifted her head up, just to make sure no one was watching her. The only building nearby was the railway station, she had to be on the other side of Ponyville, as far away from the hotel as she could possible get.

Just as well, the royal guards knew where she was staying, the first thing they would to was go to the hotel. They were going to find Blaze, soon this place would be crowded with bounty hunters.

Tricky looked down on the dirt and mud, her hooves were covered in goo, she couldn't even see the creamy white color underneath. Her exhalation turned into smoke as soon as it left her mouth. The cold air bit into her fur, forcing her mind into sharp concentration.

She stood there, staring down at her hooves for a second, then, a taunted cry escaped from her throat. Her racking sobs were lost in the raging wind that tore at her hair and fur, a single drop of grief welled out of her eye. Just like that, a dam broke. Warm torrents of grief coursed down her cheeks, blending in with the rain.

She felt her grip slipping, it was the end of her endurance. All the control she'd had was already gone. All that was left was the hollow feeling, helplessness.

Her ribcage shook with each desperate breath, a long desponded wail slipped out. In a moment of complete loss of control, her hoof hit the ground, splashing water up into her eyes, mane and mouth. Over and over again Tricky plunged her hooves into the mud, with each blow her anger boiled over. She rose to her hind legs, and gave the mud one last powerful blow. A deep growl broke out of her mouth, she turned around on the spot, a pure moment of hatred, fear and rage muddled all rational thought.

What in Equestria had she done? Treason? Murder? Was that who she was? A murderer?

Just like Ace.

A tremble shook her body. She took a few short breaths, a weird feeling seemed to be building up in her back, a provoking desire for vengeance.

Ace.

The life that she had had, and the little of what was left of the one she had now, everything was being destroyed by Ace.

Another tremble made her muscles tighten in agony. The rain continued to fall around her. Tears mixed with water. Out of the blue, she lifted her own hoof, and slapped herself. The blow was far more powerful than what she had expected, Tricky staggered as she tried to regain her balance, but it had achieved the effect she needed. Her mind cleared up and a little of the control she'd possessed before returned.

She turned her head up to the sky, the small gentle raindrops raced down from the clouds. Like falling stars. Tricky closed her eyes and let the storm calm her raging mind. All the noises around her disappeared.

Take a deep breath. You can do this. Do the one right thing.

Tricky opened her eyes. The rain was still falling around her, puddles had formed around her hooves. She lifted them and watched as the water flowed into her hoof prints.

So pointless.

She stared down at the railroad tracks. Lightning flashed across the sky, a few seconds later, thunder struck.

The sound made Tricky flinch, the raging skies hovered over her, thunder roared over and over again. Or was it something else?

Tricky turned her head to her left and unknowingly took a few steps forward, her feet trod over the rails. The sound approached from afar, a rhythmical rattling creeped up together with the sound.

A weak light blinked through the wall of rain, Tricky squinted her eyes. Another step forward, she was now standing in the middle of the railroad tracks, soaked in rain and tears of anger, eyes filled with curiosity.

The light suddenly died out. Tricky blinked, a lock of her wet hair fell down into her eyes.

A scream cut through the night, the lone pegasus almost jumped out of her skin. She jerked around, bracing herself for whatever might have caused some one to scream in such agony, but the street was deserted.

Tricky's heart skipped a beat, there it was again. The scream was strangely monotone, piercing through the rain like a kitchen knife. All of a sudden the light appeared before her, blinding her eyesight.

A train was racing towards her like a pack of rhinos, the brakes screeched and sparks flew around the wheels. The cars bumped into each other as the train slowed down.

Tricky stood rooted in place, watching the train thunder towards her, unable to move her hooves. Her eyes widened in fear as the giant beast of steel wailed again.

No no no no no...

Tricky's scream blended in with the screeching of the wheels and the horn. She closed her eyes, waiting for the hit.

Oh, how pathetic!

The brake's screeching became deafening, the light shone straight through her eyelids. Tricky clenched her teeth.

I don't want to die!


“Hey, you there!” The worried voice of a stallion echoed through the platform. He stared down at the mare, who for whatever reason, was lying on the rails, only a few decimeters away from being crushed by 120 tons of raw steel. The mare was shaking, and between her shaking teeth she kept on repeating something.

"Hey? Miss, get away from there!" Tricky opened her terrified eyes. Before her hooves stood the smoking Ponyville Express. Tricky stared up at the immense mass of solid steel towering high over her head. It let out another deafening roar, Tricky's heart suddenly jumped back to life in her chest.

The stationmaster looked down on her, behind him the passengers were quickly moving along, eager to get inside their warm, welcoming homes. Tricky opened her mouth, but nothing came out. She looked down and hurried away from the tracks, ignoring the stallion's worried questions.

A pillar of smoke rose up into the sky. The train puffed and hissed whilst the raindrops evaporated as they touched the scorching metal, creating a never ending sizzling sound. The stationmaster stared after Tricky as she disappeared into the smoke pouring out onto the platform, never had he seen anypony behaving so curiously in his whole career. He scuffed and turned around to help one of the elder passengers with her luggage.

At the other side of the platform, Tricky hesitantly stared at the train, her panic-stricken heart pounding in her chest.

It is now or never.

She looked around, the stationmaster was talking to a group of ponies on the other side of the platform. Tricky turned her head back to the train and got on. The car was empty, and Tricky sat down on one soft benches that continued throughout the train. She lifted a tired hoof to the window and cleared some of the moisture that had formed on the glass.

Outside the rain continued to fall, small patches of frost appeared in the corners. Tricky started tapping her hooves, why was it taking so long? She never took her eyes off the platform, afraid that suddenly the royal guards would appear. It didn't matter that she wasn't the same pony anymore, she was a murderer, and that would never change for them.

She felt her heart desperately beating faster and faster. Why wasn't the train moving? Outside, the stationmaster appeared with a big umbrella over his head. He walked right past the train and started talking to a mare standing in the rain.

Oh come on!

Lightning roared across the sky, the lights in the car flickered. For only a second Tricky turned her head away from the window. As she turned back, she saw two white silhouettes approaching the train. Her heart flew up into her throat, she gasped for air and jumped to her shaking hooves.

Nowhere to run.


“She couldn't have gone that far...” Wind Shield contemplated to himself. Hunter silently marched beside him, horn lit up in a strong gloomy glow. Before him weakly glowing hoof steps shone up. There was a reason he was called Hunter. Nopony in the whole Royal Guard who could track suspects as well as him.

Sadly, they were moving slowly in the rain, the tracks that had been left behind were growing more and more difficult to detect.

“Move your flank, Hunter. Our armors will rust at this pace.”

“Oh shut it, Wind... Man, I hate rain.” He stopped in the middle of the road and squinted down at the ground. “Oh no, where did she go now?” The tracks were muddled together in a mess, he was unable to make out even one single direction in which she could have gone.

Wind Shield stayed behind Hunter, in the distance he could catch a glimpse of the town's train station. A train was waiting on the platform, smoking like his old man's pipe.

He took a few steps forward, eyes fixed on the train.

“Oh shucks, I got nothing.” Hunter angrily slammed his hoof into the mud. He looked up, only to see Wind Shield trotting towards the station.

“Hey, where are you going?” Hunter rushed after Wind Shield, irritation boiling in his ears. His friend didn't answer, but continued forward. “Hey, wait up!”

Wind Shield slowed down just enough to let Hunter catch up to him. He pointed towards the train. Hunter let out a small "Ooh..." and together they marched to the platform.

The rain crashed down on the wood, Hunter felt how water gently sipped under him armor, drenching his coat. He looked at the smoking train, inspecting every window for a familiar white silhouette. Wind Shield walked up to his side.

"We should split up and search the train." Hunter nodded. Wind Shield's hunches were rather famous, and he had never been proved wrong 'till this day. Wind Shield walked to the nearest door, in the doorway he turned around.

"Try to catch her alive, we don't want another scandal. Your little blunder in Van Hoover was quite enough." Hunter grimaced, repressed memories flowed up from the deep. He snorted at Wind Shield and shoved the images far deep down into the abyss where they hopefully would stay.

He trotted to the other side of the train, lightning lit up the platform giving it a gloomy aspect. On the platform a pony waited, observing Hunter from the shadows. Hunter caught a glimpse of the observer, he turned his head to the spot where the pony had been only to see an old abandoned cape fluttering in the wind.

Hunter's heartbeat pounded on his eardrums, shutting out all other noise. His eyes raced over the platform, searching for whomever had been there mere seconds ago.

Thunder struck, the sound awakened Hunter from his terrified trance. He blinked and hastily stepped into the car, all thoughts focused on finding the mare.