• Published 31st Aug 2013
  • 4,258 Views, 202 Comments

TD's Little Rarity 1.5: This Time It's Personal - BronyWriter



While being transported by the government, the convoy is attacked and Rarity is taken.

  • ...
21
 202
 4,258

Come On!

We carried on for a few minutes. The three henchmen didn't even try to stop us, which was good. I didn't want to spill any more blood than I already had, and I especially didn't want Rarity to see something like that...

Again, I guess. She couldn't have missed the guy holding her getting his head blown off. Hopefully Celestia could help with those memories.

If she came back for us at all. She might not know how to get us back. Then what? Go to my family who thought I was dead? Run until we can't run anymore, then die in isolation or in a blaze of glory during one last stand? If we ran long enough, did I need to start teaching Rarity how to use guns?

I pushed those thoughts aside. I had to get Rarity away from here. I picked up my shotgun and slung it over my back, allowing me two free hands to carry Rarity. She continued sniffling, leaning her head on my chest as though I was the one good thing in this world. Well, to her I would be. I began walking towards my car, glaring at the three henchmen as we passed them by. They all shot me looks of.... sympathy? Regret? I dunno, I guess that even for them, the sight of a tired, drained man carrying a sobbing, blood-stained child is enough to evoke feelings of shame in anyone. Neither side spoke a word.

When I reached my car, I opened the passenger side door and gently put Rarity on the seat, taking care to buckle her in. I'd just gotten her back after a year. I wasn't going to let the fact that my car didn't make it out of the chase in the best shape hurt her.

Content that Rarity was safe, I got into the driver's seat and drove away at a speedy, but still reasonable pace. Heh, I'd just killed several people and I was worried about the speed limit. The thought caused a humorless smile to cross my face, something that fell when Rarity spoke.

"F-Father... what now?'

"Uh, good question, Rarity." I wiped my forehead with the back of my hand, keeping my eyes on the road. "Right now I think we need to go somewhere to recuperate and clean up, yeah?" Another humorless grin crossed my face. "I don't know about you, but I could use a shower and a nap."

"Yes, I suppose so," Rarity muttered.

It's odd, but given that Rarity and I hadn't seen each other for a year, and I'd now just rescued her, I thought we'd have more to say to each other. But no, we just sat in silence as I drove down the road. I guess neither one of us really had the energy required for much thought. It'd probably hit us pretty hard tomorrow, but for now, I think we needed to get away from it all.

After about four hours of driving, we hit civilization again. I didn't even really care where we were, just as long as we put as much distance between us and them as possible. I couldn't deny the fact that they'd be coming for us. They always would, I guess, and eventually I'd need more than guns to stop them.

After a half hour of driving around in the city, we came across a hotel. I looked at it and figured that for the moment, it'd do. I parked in the parking garage across the street and shut off the car.

"Okay, so I found us a hotel to relax in for a little bit, okay?" I said, putting a comforting hand on Rarity's head. "I'll get you cleaned up in there, but to get you in..." I hesitated. "You're going to need to go in the bag. Just for a little bit, though, until we get to our room!"

"Okay," Rarity said blankly.

I unbuckled the two of us and started moving the contents of the bag around to various pockets, or taking out things I didn't think we'd need. I kept most of the guns, though. We'd need them if they came for us in the hotel. It's moments like that which make me hate my life. I had to smuggle a blood-stained child into a hotel in a duffel bag of guns just so we could get some peace, quiet, and protection for a night or two. I couldn't begin to imagine how to make this all right for her. Maybe it never would be.

I got out of my car and walked into the hotel as carefully as I could so as to not jostle Rarity around too much. Upon entering, I went up to the front desk, where a bored looking concierge sat reading some book I'd never heard of.

"Hey, I'd like a single room."

The concierge looked up at me with a hint of annoyance, as if it was some great pain that she had to do her job. "How long would you like it for?"

"Just a night or two," I said, pulling some cash out of my pocket.

"One night or two? The cost is different."

"Uh... one night for now, then we'll see if I need to stay a second night."

"Fine," she grumbled. "Sixty bucks."

I counted out the money and tossed it on the counter. She scooped it up and went to some back room to get my key. As I waited, my gaze traveled up to a muted television showing some stupid comedy. I drummed my fingers on the counter and continued watching to kill the time.

That's when the show cut out, and the words "breaking news" flashed across the screen, followed by an image of the convoy I'd just trashed. I brought a hand up to my mouth, my heart beating a mile a minute and my breath becoming shallow. No no no no no. Not now.

I tried to act casual as the concierge came back with my room key. I hoped she wouldn't turn around to look at the TV. Who knew if they had gotten a picture of me somehow?

"Room 64," she said, sliding the key across the counter to me. "Your checkout time is twenty four hours from now. If you want to stay another night, you'll have to let us know before then."

"Right, thanks," I said a little too quickly. "I'll be sure to do that. Have a good day."

I snatched the key off of the counter and walked away as quickly as I could without drawing suspicion or hurting Rarity. I glanced back at the front desk just in time to see the concierge look up to the TV, which was still reporting on the mayhem I'd caused. Not good.

I went into my room and gently set the duffel bag on the bed, unzipping it so that Rarity could come out.

"Hey, Rarity, how are you doing?" I said with a weak smile. "Are you okay? Were you comfortable enough in there?"

"I suppose so," Rarity said, hopping off of the bed. "Right now I just..." Her jaw wobbled, and a pair of tears streaked down her face. "I just want to get this off of me. I don't like thinking about it."

Right, the blood.

"Of course." I looked around and spotted the bathroom. "We'll get a shower going for you. You don't have to think about it much longer, okay?"

"I don't ever want to go back there, Father," Rarity whimpered. "I didn't like it there. Not for a moment."

"I know, Rarity, I know." I led her into the bathroom and turned on the taps in the shower. "You won't ever have to go back to them again, I promise. Even if they do follow us, they're not going to take you. I'll make sure of that."

The two of us stayed silent while I waited for the water to warm up. Once it did, I gently placed Rarity in the tub, letting the water clear away the blood from her coat.

"Okay, I need to go check on something really quickly. I'll be right back." Rarity whimpered again and grabbed my hand.

"Don't go. I don't want to be alone."

I smiled at her and knelt down to her level. "Hey, you're not alone anymore, okay?" I began gently stroking her mane. "I'm just in the other room, alright? It'll only be for a minute, then I'll come right back. You're safe here with me. Just get cleaned up, then we'll figure something out. If you need me, just let me know. I'm not leaving. That's a promise."

Rarity sniffled and nuzzled my hand before letting it go, allowing me to stand up.

"Don't be gone long."

"I'm not even going to leave our room, Rarity. No one can get in either. I'll be back in a few minutes. Just get cleaned up, then I'll try to see about getting something for us to eat."

"Okay," Rarity whispered, moving farther under the stream of water. "Just please come back. I don't want to be away from you."

"You won't be. You'll be fine. I'll make sure of that."

Content that Rarity had calmed down enough for me to leave her alone for a few minutes, I walked out of the bathroom, keeping the door cracked so that she could still see me if she wanted to. No more closed doors for her.

I found the TV remote in the room and turned the TV on. I didn't have to search for more than a few seconds before I found a channel reporting on the story. The image that flashed onto the screen showed the security footage of the lobby of Roshab Inc. Me on the phone with a gun pointed at the receptionist. Text scrolled on the bottom of the screen, calling my actions "domestic terrorism." My face didn't appear to be visible, but still... if anyone saw me recently, they'd still have some suspicions of my identity.

Someone like the concierge at the front desk of this very hotel.

I cursed and unzipped my duffel bag, taking out the shotgun and hiding it underneath a pillow so that Rarity couldn't see it, but I'd still be able to reach it quickly. I stuffed my pistol into my pocket and turned back to the TV.

Somehow things had gotten worse.

Instead of the security footage, the image had changed to one right outside of the hotel. The camera showed black vans swarming around the place, and men in suits swarming out of them. Of course Roshab would have its own security force. I imagined that some bribes went into this. I cursed again and began laying my guns out on the bed. Even as I did, one prevalent thought kept repeating in my mind. One undeniable fact that I couldn't deny at this point.

They'd cornered us. We couldn't get out of this one. Maybe they'd take Rarity alive to keep experimenting on her, but I had no chance. After everything I'd done, they couldn't leave me alive. Not that they would if they could.

I wheeled around when I heard the sound of a key card swiping through the door lock of my door. I snatched the shotgun out from under the pillow and pointed it at the door. I'd go down fighting. That much I knew. My vest might extend my life for a few more minutes. Just enough to take a few of them with me.

The door swung open, and I raised the gun to fire. The first thing through that door would get a face full of shotgun pellets.

But... it turns out that I didn't need to do that. In fact, I don't know if it would have worked even if I tried. I slowly lowered the gun to my side and glared ahead.

"Freaking took you long enough," I growled. "I just got her back after over a year, you know."

"Yes... I am sorry about that. I have been trying, TD. Do know that."

"I know, Celestia."